PDA

View Full Version : Monsters as aliens (Ben 10 setting)

petermcleod117
2021-08-19, 10:30 AM
Hello!

A player of mine wants to play Ben 10. With your guy's help I have already found a way for him to gain Ben's powers (5th level Spell-less Wild Shape Urban Ranger/ 10th level Master of Many Forms). Thank you BTW.

Now all he needs is some of the classic Ben 10 aliens to turn into.

I figure there are more than enough monsters even in just the official material to cover most of the aliens we find in Ben 10. For example, heat blast could be a fire elemental and blitzwolfer could be a destrachan.

if any of you can think of any more monsters which would translate well into existing aliens, that would be cool.

edit: the master of many forms doesn't grant the ability to turn into undead, so ghost freak couldn't just be a ghost.

Beni-Kujaku
2021-08-19, 05:54 PM
I will try to keep to Monstrous Humanoids and giants when possible, since I figure the player would not want to wait for 13th level to play one of the 10 main aliens.

Wildmutt: Just any quadrupedal animal, maybe a refluffed tiger. At higher level, and to really get the "blindsight" part of the alien, you can switch to a tooth beast from Tome of Magic (trigger warning, that's not a cute creature).

Fourarms: Shobhad (http://legacy.aonprd.com/bestiary4/shobhad.html#shobhad) from Starfinder

Grey Matter: Hard to replicate, since wild shape doesn't give you any mental stat, and there is no technologically-oriented monster in d&d. I'll pass on this one.

XLR8: Not many creatures have really high land speed in 3.5. I'd go as far as to say none have really high land speed in the available types. The best fit is probably the Deinonychus. If flying speeds are on the table, then check the Mercury Dragon (you should choose very young to young adult, depending on your level). It's possibly a typo, but 200ft perfect flying, or 250 good is ridiculously good, and it fits most requirements (requires MoMF 10, though). At lower level, and not quite as reptilian, you have the Aarakocra, with 90 fly speed.

Upgrade: Another hard one. A Silthilar can change into a swarm, making it impervious to weapon damage, and can shape weapons with its body, but it won't shoot laser beams.

Diamondhead: Crystalline troll, most perfect fit I've seen, Monster Manual III

Ripjaw: Well, ... A shark. No need for MoMF's expanded list. Or maybe a sahuagin, if you really want the arms.

Stinkfly: Queen/Soldier Abeil (Monster Manual II)

Ghostfreak : Unbodied, XPH (not quite the right design, but the only incorporeal creature accessible to MoMF at low level, and it can change its appearance to that of any humanoid). There is also the Shadow Elemental from Tome of Magic, at much higher level.

Heatblast: Low-level: Harssaf (Monster Manual III), High-level: Fire Giant or Fire Elemental (MM)

petermcleod117
2021-08-19, 11:48 PM
I will try to keep to Monstrous Humanoids and giants when possible, since I figure the player would not want to wait for 13th level to play one of the 10 main aliens.

Wildmutt: Just any quadrupedal animal, maybe a refluffed tiger. At higher level, and to really get the "blindsight" part of the alien, you can switch to a tooth beast from Tome of Magic (trigger warning, that's not a cute creature).

Fourarms: Shobhad (http://legacy.aonprd.com/bestiary4/shobhad.html#shobhad) from Starfinder

Grey Matter: Hard to replicate, since wild shape doesn't give you any mental stat, and there is no technologically-oriented monster in d&d. I'll pass on this one.

XLR8: Not many creatures have really high land speed in 3.5. I'd go as far as to say none have really high land speed in the available types. The best fit is probably the Deinonychus. If flying speeds are on the table, then check the Mercury Dragon (you should choose very young to young adult, depending on your level). It's possibly a typo, but 200ft perfect flying, or 250 good is ridiculously good, and it fits most requirements (requires MoMF 10, though). At lower level, and not quite as reptilian, you have the Aarakocra, with 90 fly speed.

Upgrade: Another hard one. A Silthilar can change into a swarm, making it impervious to weapon damage, and can shape weapons with its body, but it won't shoot laser beams.

Diamondhead: Crystalline troll, most perfect fit I've seen, Monster Manual III

Ripjaw: Well, ... A shark. No need for MoMF's expanded list. Or maybe a sahuagin, if you really want the arms.

Stinkfly: Queen/Soldier Abeil (Monster Manual II)

Ghostfreak : Unbodied, XPH (not quite the right design, but the only incorporeal creature accessible to MoMF at low level, and it can change its appearance to that of any humanoid). There is also the Shadow Elemental from Tome of Magic, at much higher level.

Heatblast: Low-level: Harssaf (Monster Manual III), High-level: Fire Giant or Fire Elemental (MM)

this is a good start, thank you!

PraxisVetli
2021-08-22, 10:25 AM
Ghostfreak could benefit from the Phantom Template in MM5.
Incorporeal unless you don't want to be, to put it in so few words.
Then just pick any base creature that fits aesthetically and boom now it's a 'ghost' but not undead.

Vaern
2021-08-22, 05:36 PM
XLR8: Not many creatures have really high land speed in 3.5. I'd go as far as to say none have really high land speed in the available types.

Cheetahs' base speed isn't quite as fast as some other creatures, but they get the sprint ability that allows them to charge at 10 times their base land speed (500 feet) if that makes any difference.

Calthropstu
2021-08-22, 08:56 PM
You could restructure a quickling for xlr8 if the gm is supportive.

Edit: quickling is available at lvl 4. Assume supernatural ability gains their move speed which is supernatural. So quickling should be very doable.

ChudoJogurt
2021-08-26, 12:21 PM
Girallon could be a Fourarms equivalent.

Beni-Kujaku
2021-08-26, 01:18 PM

That's a Magical Beast‚ Master of Many Forms can't turn you into one.

ChudoJogurt
2021-08-26, 03:24 PM
Huh.
My bad.

That being said, I don't think anything would get horribly broken if it is permitted by DM

Beni-Kujaku
2021-08-26, 04:18 PM
Huh.
My bad.

That being said, I don't think anything would get horribly broken if it is permitted by DM

It probably wouldn't‚ but if the OP went all the way to find a PrC that allows him to play Ben 10‚ and asks for real monsters to make aliens instead of just saying "there‚ here's the Omnitrix"‚ that probably means he wants to do this by RAW and without too much homebrew.

Calthropstu
2021-08-27, 09:08 PM
It probably wouldn't‚ but if the OP went all the way to find a PrC that allows him to play Ben 10‚ and asks for real monsters to make aliens instead of just saying "there‚ here's the Omnitrix"‚ that probably means he wants to do this by RAW and without too much homebrew.

Agreed. Nothing wrong with crossing your Is and dotting your Ts on this.

Wait a sec...

Bonneduce
2021-08-29, 04:34 AM

Would Sahuagin Mutant be available with the Wildshape/whatever granted by Master of Many Forms?

It's a Monstrous Humanoid with four arms, I just don't recall it it's considered or treated as a template, though

Tzardok
2021-08-29, 04:44 AM
I don't have my books with me, so I don't know wether Master of Many Forms can turn into outsiders. If yes, xill would be a valid Fourarms.

Beni-Kujaku
2021-08-29, 11:07 AM
Would Sahuagin Mutant be available with the Wildshape/whatever granted by Master of Many Forms?

It's a Monstrous Humanoid with four arms, I just don't recall it it's considered or treated as a template, though

It's a creature‚ but it's more a shark person than a gorilla‚ and Water Dependancy makes it pretty hard to use as a fourarms

I don't have my books with me, so I don't know wether Master of Many Forms can turn into outsiders. If yes, xill would be a valid Fourarms.

Sadly‚ it can't.