PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Need second opinion on wizard style monk.

Gydian
2021-08-19, 02:12 PM
I'm working on Way of the Arcanist

Arcane Study
Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you can manipulate your ki to harness the Weave. You learn one cantrip and two spells of 1st or 2nd level form the Wizards spell list, one of the spells must be a ritual. You may use an action, you can spend ki equal to the spells level without requiring any material components other than those that have a coast or are consumed. Wisdom is your spell casting modifier for these spells.

When you gain levels in this class you learn more spells. At 6th level you learn another cantrip and two spell of 3rd level or lower, one of which must be a ritual, from the Wizards spell list. At 11th level you learn another cantrip and two spell of 6th level or lower, one of which must be a ritual, from the Wizards spell list. At 17th level you learn another cantrip and two spell of 9th level or lower, one of which must be a ritual, from the Wizards spell list

Arcane Deflection
At 6th level, your ability to deflect missiles expands to include any ranged attack. Additionally if you catch the missile and spend a ki point to through it back your range increases to 60 feet and the long range increases to 120 feet.

Use Magic Item
By 11th level, you have learned enough about the workings of magic that you can improvise the use of items even when they are not intended for you. You ignore all class, race, and level requirements on the use of magic items.

Aura of the Weave
At 17th level, you gain the ability to intensify or diminish the ambient magic around you. You may spend 3 ki to make a 15 foot aura in which all magic is suppressed, as if in an antimagic field. You may select up to 3 creatures inside this aura that are unaffected by it. This aura lasts for 1 minutes.

Gydian
2021-08-19, 02:14 PM
I'm looking for advice on balance, and I know that the 17th level feature is a little OP. Its low priority.

Much thanks in advance.

Saelethil
2021-08-19, 03:02 PM
The only problem I’m seeing is spell progression. I know monks aren’t the strongest class but giving them 9th level spells seems a bit much. I would recommend loosely following the 1/3rd caster (EK & AT) progression of spells know to fit more in line with other casting martial subclasses.

I know you said the aura was low priority so feel free to ignore this part but I would suggest having casters make an Int. save against your monk dc. If they fail, the spell fails. I have an Anti-Mage Paladin subclass with a similar ability. It’s still powerful but closer to balanced.

luuma
2021-08-19, 03:46 PM
This seemed alright to me at first glance, but I'd maybe price the final feature up to 5 ki and remove the ability to designate creatures to be unaffected.

I'd also definitely change the 3rd level feature to the following:

Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you can manipulate your ki to harness the Weave. You learn one cantrip and four 1st-level spells from the Wizards spell list. Two of the spells must have the ritual tag, and you can cast those spells as rituals a ritual.

You can spend ki equal to the spell's level to cast the spells without expending a spell slot. When you do so, you don't require any material components except those that have a cost or are consumed.

Wisdom is your spellcasting modifier for these spells, and your spell attack bonus is your Wisdom modifier + your Proficiency bonus, and you use your Ki Save DC as the spell save DC.

When you gain levels in this class, you learn more spells. At 6th level you learn another cantrip and two spell of 2nd level or lower, one of which must be a ritual, from the Wizards spell list. At 11th level you learn another cantrip and two spell of 3rd level or lower, one of which must be a ritual, from the Wizards spell list. At 17th level you learn another cantrip and two spell of 4th level or lower, one of which must be a ritual, from the Wizards spell list.

Whenever you gain a level in this class, you can replace one of your spells from this feature with a different spell of the same level from the wizard spell list (if it was required to be a ritual, the new spell must also be a ritual)

====
This is still really strong. 1 ki to cast shield or absorb elements? that rocks. 2 ki to cast shadow blade or misty step? that rocks. 3 ki to haste? outstanding.

Garfunion
2021-08-19, 07:53 PM
When I compare this archetype to another archetype that has a similar “spellcasting” theme (4 elements monk). I have to say that it is over power.

What theme are you trying to create here?

Gydian
2021-08-19, 09:01 PM
I compared the spell casting to shadow monk and the ki cost is the same as the spell level, and they get to cast three second level spells at the same class level that a full caster gets second level spells.

Maybe the growth of the spell access should be caped, or the cost for higher level spells could be more expensive.

Gydian
2021-08-19, 09:07 PM
Theme? Wizard Monk.

Well a monk who has channeled their ki into the weave and is able to tap into the raw magic manipulating it like traditional spell casters or manipulating the source of the magic against other spell casters.

Garfunion
2021-08-19, 10:23 PM
Theme? Wizard Monk.

Well a monk who has channeled their ki into the weave and is able to tap into the raw magic manipulating it like traditional spell casters or manipulating the source of the magic against other spell casters.

What wizard spells would you select if you were to play this archetype?

I know the last three features of this archetype do you have a connection with the manipulation/control/denial of magic. However the first feature of this archetype is simply providing them away to cast wizard spells.

You have to remember they are a monk first, their primary focus is punching and kicking things, why would they use their action to cast spells?

If I sound negative to you I’m sorry I’m just trying to help. I wouldn’t mind some kind of arcane-ish taoist Monk archetype.

Gydian
2021-08-20, 10:37 AM
As far as the magic selection I want to leave relatively open, but I could go through an hand pick the list of spells to make the the options smaller than the full wizard spell list.

I am considering what level spells are accessible at what level. But I think the acces that half casters is to limiting, 1st at third, 2nd at sixth, 3rd at eleventh, and 5th at seventeenth level.
Maybe something like 2a3, 3a6, 5a11, and 7a17.

Also there is the matter of ki cost to cast. Because I don't allow the option of upcasting, I think point per spell level is fair, though point plus 1 is worth considering, though that makes it complicated.

I much appreciate all the feedback and I don't consider it to harsh.