PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Psionic (lack of) Make Whole discussion

Segev
2021-08-19, 02:24 PM
Bringing this to its own thread. Got the RAW answer, but now want to just do a little discussing on the topic. Thanks, Calthropstu, for the responses in the RAW thread.

Q 344: I know of psionic repair (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/p/psionic-repair/), which is more or less the psionic version of mending. Is there a psionic version of make whole or make whole, greater (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/make-whole/)?

A 344: Not that I could find. I checked the entire power list. Reconstruction works on constructs, but nothing else.

Thanks for looking; I also checked the whole list and found the same thing, but was really hoping I had missed something.

I would advise asking the gm if either reconstruction or matter manipulation can be reworked to also repair objects.

Interestingly, because the character I am playing that made me start looking for something faster than psionic repair is a Life Leech Vitalist, he has little use for reconstruction (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/r/reconstruction/). While he can't Drain Life from a construct, he CAN pass the hp from Drain Life taken from others TO a construct. So this suggestion - making reconstruction work on objects - would be a reason to look into Expanded Knowledge for reconstruction. Ironically, if there were a good way to make random items constructs with at least 1 wis that a vitalist could do relatively easily, it would also let a life leech vitalist repair them through Drain Life.

Jack_Simth
2021-08-19, 08:55 PM
Ironically, if there were a good way to make random items constructs with at least 1 wis that a vitalist could do relatively easily, it would also let a life leech vitalist repair them through Drain Life.Animate Objects (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/animate-objects/)? Tricky to put it on a vitalist, though.

FauxKnee
2021-08-19, 09:23 PM
You mentioned the vitalist, so you may be looking for Pathfinder answers only. If you're open to 3.5 answers, see page 133 of Secrets of Sarlona. There's a version of make whole available there, basically equivalent to the magical version.

Segev
2021-08-19, 09:32 PM
Animate Objects (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/animate-objects/)? Tricky to put it on a vitalist, though.I did think of that, but not only is getting it on a vitalist tricky, anything that would work could probably get greater make whole more easily.

You mentioned the vitalist, so you may be looking for Pathfinder answers only. If you're open to 3.5 answers, see page 133 of Secrets of Sarlona. There's a version of make whole available there, basically equivalent to the magical version.

Ooh, this is in an Eberron game, so that may actually work. Only psion/wilder, so I'd need to consider how to approach it. (Of course, "Vitalist" isn't a thing in Eberron 3.5, anyway. But psionic repair isn't on the Vitalist list - I took a feat to get it - so it's not exactly something I can easily justify as extending to the Vitalist list.) Great find, though, thank you!

Maybe a dorje can be found. Of course, a wand would work just as well, then....

Psyren
2021-08-19, 10:30 PM
There isn't - but since you know that Make Whole is a 4th-level effect, Bend Reality should be able to do it.

Segev
2021-08-19, 10:57 PM
There isn't - but since you know that Make Whole is a 4th-level effect, Bend Reality should be able to do it.

Weirdly, bend reality (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/b/bend-reality/) explicitly says "(but not a spell)" under the bullet point about duplicating 4th level powers.

I agree that your idea sounds reasonable, though. Honestly, using Secrets of Sarlona as a reference, one could maybe make psionic make whole read something like:
Psionic Make Whole
Discipline metacreation; Level psion/wilder 2, Shaper 1
Display Material, Olfactory
Manifesting Time 10 minutes
Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target one object of up to 10 cu. ft./level or one construct creature of any size
Duration instantaneous
Saving Throw Will negates (harmless, object); Spell Resistance yes (harmless, object)
Power Points 3 (psion/wilder), 1 (shaper)

This power functions as psionic repair, except that it repairs 1d6 points of damage when cast on an object or construct creature.

Psionic make whole can fix destroyed magic items (at 0 hit points or less), and restores the magic properties of the item if your manifester level is at least twice that of the item. Items with charges (such as wands) and single-use items (such as potions and scrolls) cannot be repaired in this way. When make whole is used on a construct creature, the spell bypasses any immunity to magic as if the spell did not allow spell resistance.

Augment This power can be augmented in the following ways:
If you spend 2 additional power points, it can restore magic items if your manifester level at least equal to that of the item.
If you spend 2 additional power points, the manifestation time of this power is reduced to 1 standard action.
For every 2 power points you spend, including on one of the above augmentations, this power repairs an additional 1d6 points of damage to the target.
This approach leaves it as both make whole and make whole, greater. Could remove Shaper 1 as a level for it and just make it 2nd level, the way Secrets of Sarlona did. I added the augments specifically to add make whole, greater into it.

Psyren
2021-08-20, 11:32 AM
If I were pedantic, which I am, I'd say Bend Reality producing an effect on par with the result of Make Whole's level is possible without duplicating the Make Whole spell. All you'd have to do is change the effect slightly from Make Whole - for example, removing the ability to affect constructs, since Reconstruction exists anyway.

The "(but not a spell)" clause is part of 3.5's implied "psionics should be worse at some things" principle that DSP ported over in core. I doubt they'd include that clause today - after all, Limited Wish doesn't have a "(but not a power)" clause. Much like how they have since printed illusion and necromancy effects for psionics.

Segev
2021-08-20, 11:37 AM
If I were pedantic, which I am, I'd say Bend Reality producing an effect on par with the result of Make Whole's level is possible without duplicating the Make Whole spell. All you'd have to do is change the effect slightly from Make Whole - for example, removing the ability to affect constructs, since Reconstruction exists anyway.

The "(but not a spell)" clause is part of 3.5's implied "psionics should be worse at some things" principle that DSP ported over in core. I doubt they'd include that clause today - after all, Limited Wish doesn't have a "(but not a power)" clause. Much like how they have since printed illusion and necromancy effects for psionics.
Valid points. I am pretty sure I could convince my DM to agree, as well.

On another note, it took me a while to make this connection, but I had oft discounted the Aegis's Astral Repair feature as a very minor ribbon* considering Pisonic Repair's existence. However, it is a standard action to restore 2 hp to an object at no cost aside from the action, whereas Psionic Repair has that ten minute manifestation time.

That is 200 hp restored if the Aegis spends that long on it! So Astral Repair seems to be the canon psionic make whole, sort of.

An Aegis dip is awfully expensive, though. Albeit, good for getting nice armor, too.

* To make matters worse, the Aberrant archetype replaces Astral Repair with Vim at will. 1 temp hp at will that doesn't stack with itself is not even a ribbon. It is a spare button sewn into the pocket of a pair of pants that has no buttons to replace. Of course, despite having cool flavor, the Aberrant Archetype is just a fairly massive nerf overall to the Aegis chassis. Sadly.