PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Dogfolk (5E Race, 2 Subraces) PEACH

John Cribati
2021-08-19, 09:08 PM
This is just an idea I had. We have Tabaxi for cat people, and we're still waiting on an official dog person race, I thought I would toss my hat in the ring. The format is loosely based on the Tabaxi, and I included a variation based on small-breed dogs.

Dogfolk

The true origins of Dogfolk are unknown. Some say the first were experiments that escaped from a Wizard’s laboratory. Others suggest that they are descended from a Druid’s Awakened canines. Another popular theory is that they naturally evolved from humans cursed with lycanthropy. Either way, Dogfolk are known to be stalwart and loyal. They often travel together in large family groups, though it isn’t uncommon for lone stragglers to leave the pack to stake out their own territory. Dogfolk are especially fond of humans, and often choose to travel alongside them.

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2
Age. Dogfolk have lifespans equivalent to humans.
Alignment. Dogfolk tend toward lawful alignments, generally considering the wellbeing of the group over an individual. They are rarely evil.
Darkvision. You have a dog’s keen senses, especially in the dark. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Sharp Nose. You have proficiency in the Perception and Survival skills, and advantage on Perception and Survival checks that rely on smell.
Canine Resilience. Your sturdy demeanor allows you to run for longer periods of time without tiring. As a bonus action when you take the Dash action, you may move a distance equal to your base speed. You can use this ability a number of times equal to your Proficiency bonus plus your Constitution modifier, and regain all uses of this ability when you finish a short or long rest.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and one other language of your choice.

Mastriever

Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 1
Size. Mastrievers are taller on average than humans and generally wider. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Mastiff’s Fangs. Your teeth are natural weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with them, you deal piercing damage equal to 1d6 + your Strength modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike. Beginning at 5th level, a targeted creature must succeed on a Strength saving throw (DC 8 + Your Strength Modifier + your Proficiency Bonus) or be restrained by you. While you have the creature restrained, you can use a bonus action to inflict an additional d4 of damage to it. The creature is restrained until it either makes its save (rolled at the end of every one of its turns), you use your Bite attack on another creature, or you end the grapple.

Terrihua

Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 1
Size. Terrihuas are around the size of Halflings, though they may range in build from skinny to stout. Your size is Small.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 25 feet.
Terrier’s Nip. Your teeth are natural weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with them, you deal piercing damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike. Beginning at 5th level, if one of your allies is within 5 feet of the creature you are attacking, and that ally isn’t incapacitated, you have advantage on the attack roll and deal an additional d6 of piercing damage.

sandmote
2021-08-19, 09:52 PM
Full disclosure: I have my own take on the concept here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?625136-Cynocephali-Dog-folk-for-Dog-Jokes). There is very little overlap though so I can probably make notes without issue.

The description for canine resilience makes me think of the exhaustion condition, not dashing. However, as far as I know, you can dash twice per turn if you can dash as an action and as a bonus action. As written it would probably be easier just to give the race bonus action dashing as a racial feature.

Mastiff's Fangs is kind of a mess? Perhaps instead say that the PC can grapple without needing to make a grapple check when the hit using their fangs? At the very least it currently says they're "restrained" when you start the effect but ends by saying you can "end the grapple." I'm not sure which effect is intended (if it isn't both, like the "constrict" attack some serpent-like monsters have).

Terrier’s Nip should probably specify that it applies advantage to attacks using your teeth. On the other hand, the feature might still be a bit broken for rogues. Wolf Totem barbarian has a similar effect, but it only grants advantage to allies, so even that is weaker.