PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Knight / Arcane Trickster style spellcasting for Monks?

Wasp
2021-08-20, 06:41 AM
Hi!

I was thinking it might be a good idea to give monks a subclass with the kind of spellcasting capabilities the Eldritch Knight and the Arcane Trickster have with spell slots that are no draining ki points. The idea was to basically model it exactly after those two classes with two schools known and free choice of spells at certain levels.

But what spell schools and spell lists would be the best or most iconic for a monk?

I could see us using the wizard spell list but using Wisdom as the spellcasting ability with choosing 2 out of the 3 spell schools Transmutation, Abjuration, and Evocation.

What do you guys think?

Old Harry MTX
2021-08-20, 12:37 PM
I'm quite sure that this is a thing already done, probably if you search in the homebrew database you could find something just for you.

Anyway, I think the schools you choose are good. I would probably consider a mechanic to tie ki points and spellcasting togheter, maybe adding something like metamagic options, and for the rest, I would take features directly from the EK.

Wasp
2021-08-20, 12:59 PM
Thank you. I will take a look.

I like the idea of "ki metamagic" - maybe one could directly translate this from sorcerer to monk with ki instead of sorcery points?

Otherwise I was thinking of something like being able to sacrifice spell slots to regain ki?

Old Harry MTX
2021-08-20, 01:13 PM
Thank you. I will take a look.

I like the idea of "ki metamagic" - maybe one could directly translate this from sorcerer to monk with ki instead of sorcery points?

Otherwise I was thinking of something like being able to sacrifice spell slots to regain ki?

Consider that a monk regains all its ki points at the end of a short rest, so I would avoid a mechanic to recover spell slots, or vice versa.

Wasp
2021-08-20, 01:48 PM
How about then something like Divine Smite where you can sacrifice your spell slots for a "Monk Smite"?

Old Harry MTX
2021-08-20, 02:35 PM
How about then something like Divine Smite where you can sacrifice your spell slots for a "Monk Smite"?

Or just extend the ability to make an unarmored strike or a flurry of blows as a bonus action if you have used your action to cast a spell, like the EK's warmagic or the Valor Bard's battle magic. Maybe you can add the exception that, you can't use both a metamagic option and a martial arts option in the same turn, if needed for balance.