PDA

View Full Version : Puzzled Spoiler alert: Why call Vampire Greg

Arqwae
2021-08-21, 09:43 AM
In Utterly Dwarfed someone suggested calling Vampire Durkon “Greg”. Where does this originate? Why call him Greg?
I need it explained 🤔

Thanks!

Fyraltari
2021-08-21, 10:01 AM
In Utterly Dwarfed someone suggested calling Vampire Durkon “Greg”. Where does this originate? Why call him Greg?
I need it explained 🤔

Thanks!

It's a random male first name picked as a joke meant to contrast all the other suggestions who are all descrptive of Durkon* in some manner.

Arqwae
2021-08-21, 10:16 AM
It's a random male first name picked as a joke meant to contrast all the other suggestions who are all descrptive of Durkon* in some manner.

It appears the joke has migranted to the mobile game Marvel Strike Force, where Hela has the ability to summon undead Asgardian minions which developers and players have nicknamed Greg.
Hela and Hel being the same deity makes the Greg/Durkon/Undead Asgardian relation even more obvious.
Thanks.

brian 333
2021-08-21, 02:15 PM
It appears the joke has migranted to the mobile game Marvel Strike Force, where Hela has the ability to summon undead Asgardian minions which developers and players have nicknamed Greg.
Hela and Hel being the same deity makes the Greg/Durkon/Undead Asgardian relation even more obvious.
Thanks.

Is that posted (with links) in the OotS in the media thread?

halfeye
2021-08-21, 05:32 PM
I need it explained 🤔

Thanks!

As was said, it's from a joke; this joke, in this comic:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1030.html

So, it's pretty much canon, as well as being a joke.

Squire Doodad
2021-08-21, 08:54 PM
Why call a vampire Greg?
Because Edward was already taken.

AceOfFools
2021-08-22, 01:53 PM
As was said, it's from a joke; this joke, in this comic:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1030.html

So, it's pretty much canon, as well as being a joke.
The majority of those suggestions came from the forums. That comic was referencing the small population of forum users who were already calling Durkon* Greg.

That comic isn’t the source.

halfeye
2021-08-22, 03:07 PM
The majority of those suggestions came from the forums. That comic was referencing the small population of forum users who were already calling Durkon* Greg.

It may not be the source, but it is the comic, which makes it significant in my view. Where are those forum quotes?

Metastachydium
2021-08-22, 03:39 PM

Yes it is, unless and until you prove otherwise. I went through ALL forum posts from between 2013/03/05 (when the strip in which Durkon became a vampire was published) and 2016/03/25 (the publication date of no. 1030) that contained the name "Greg". All instances of "Greg" referred to RL people named Greg, forum posters with the name Greg or the Greg Initiative.

Peelee
2021-08-22, 03:49 PM

Nobody called him Greg before the comic suggested it as a name.

hrožila
2021-08-22, 04:21 PM
Also not sure about any of the other names. "Durkula" was obviously very common before that comic. "Undurkon" was much less popular but still not uncommon (although much of that was Onyavar using it as his favoured pet form). The same applies to "Jerkon". Much to my chagrin, it appears "Norkud" was also in use. I don't think anyone used any of the more complex and out there names before that comic was posted, but I haven't checked them because ugh.

If they had been taken from the forum you'd expect "Phyrnglsnyx" to pop up, but alas.

Precure
2021-08-22, 06:04 PM
Durkon and Greg
Dharma and Greg

Rich used the same joke for his parody of Lost's Dharma Initiative back then in Orcs' Island arc.

Metastachydium
2021-08-23, 05:33 AM
(There also was at least one person who called the vampire Hippo (derived from HPoH).)

KorvinStarmast
2021-08-23, 07:42 AM
Also not sure about any of the other names. "Durkula" And it best captures the situation. I liked Pastor Expiration, but that's too many syllables.