PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Your Favorite Adventures

TotallyNotEvil
2021-08-21, 09:55 AM
Hello there playgrounders. Here I've come with a simple thread, and while you find a lot of these on Reddit, I haven't found many on here. And I trust the playground more than I trust Reddit :smalltongue:

So, as the title says, what are your favorite adventure paths/modules?

I've ran the first two parts of Red Hand of Doom, and it was fairly fun, and very sandboxed. I've had to mod a fair bit of stuff in it tho, and sometimes the sheer scope of the army froze the players. The lake bits could use clearer maps/descriptions as well.

I've ran Carrion Hill, and it was super fun. Creepy crawlies ahoy, the party was very diverse, and everyone got a moment to shine, from the vampire swashbuckler to the fungus Druid.

I've started playing War for the Crown, coming in at the very last dungeon of the first module, and we just started the second module. It's promisingly social, tho the last dungeon is ridiculously long. There's like twenty or thirty bad guys in there, many with decent ACs, and the party is level 3. Our melee guys didn't have PA, for some reason, so it took rounds and rounds to take down each bad guy, with my poor Wizard having run out of spells earlier in the night.

I've never actually ran or played the big famous modules like Rise of the Runelords and Crimson Throne, but I hear they are very good. Currently, I'm looking into an adventure path or at least a nice module to run, and Reign of Winter and The Harrowing are looking interesting enough, even if the former has had some harsh criticism. I want something unique and flavorful, which is why RoW has floated to the top, but I'm not sure.

So, what's your experience with adventure paths and modules, which ones do you recommend, which ones do you hate with a passion?

Kaleph
2021-08-21, 05:10 PM
My recommendations:

(WotC)
- Expeditions to the ruins of Greyhawk
- The red hand of doom

(AP, Dungeon era, my personal favorites)
- Age of worms
- Savage tide

(AP, d20 era)
- Rise of the runelord
- The curse of the crimson throne

Edit: just to gove you a reference, tRHoD is probably the worse of the aforementioned modules/AP's.

What I DON'T like
- everything with "tactical encounter format" starts with an handicap in my eyes
- Cormyr - the tearing of the wave is my example of an adventure being badly conceived and horribly made (if you want, the demonstration that WotC didn't considered published adventures anymore as core business, and that they didn't care anymore about 3.x while 4E was is development).

RandomPeasant
2021-08-21, 06:10 PM
Sunless Citadel is a very well-done low level adventure. A great way to introduce people to D&D.

I like the concept of Red Hand of Doom, and the execution is okay, but it suffers from 3e's mechanics for handling armies being pretty awful. It's hard to look at it without seeing the missed potential of something even better.

TotallyNotEvil
2021-08-21, 07:37 PM
Age of Worms is one I hear about very often, tho people say it's hilariously lethal.

Damn, I've just read the summary of a Savage Tide campaign on Obsidian Portal, it look damn epic.

Reminds me of Baldur's Gate II.

Efrate
2021-08-22, 08:50 AM
Curse of the crimson throne is nice. It's also a bit more unique that it's in a major town for most of it so that adds a lot of little wrinkles. Same with castle Greyhawk. Rise of the runelords is okay, but despite Sandpoint being wonderfully detailed you are not in it enough to really appreciate it. I tend to like having a base town for an entire AP because it's so much easier for pcs to relate to the recurring npcs and tends to be a curb to crazy murder hoboing.