PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Diluted potion of poison

Zhorn
2021-08-21, 11:21 AM
So one of my players has come to me with a plan for our next session.
They are at Cragmaw Castle (LMoP), have not been discovered yet, and have a Potion of Poison.
The player wants to put the potion into the goblin's food supply, being made aware of the goblins in the banquet hall and Yegg doing cooking for the tribe.

I like this plan, though the intent of the potion of poison's damage being if a single creature were to drink the potion, not a single dose being split up amongst multiple creatures being served a diluted serving in their stew.

How effective should I let this be to indicate that "this was a good plan and will yield a notable level of success, but diluted potions will be less potent than intended" as to avoid setting a precedence of single potions being stretched out across multiple uses.

Would just having all imbibers have the poisoned condition be enough? or knock down their hp to a low enough point that a single hit should finish them off? Both?
Have them be notably sick with food poisoning and not eager to spring to any called alarms should the part get noticed by others in the castle?

PhantomSoul
2021-08-21, 12:52 PM
If it's a single regular Potion of Poison, it's 3d6 if you drink the whole thing, so the tiny amount spread into the stew is likely to be so tiny I would just gloss over it altogether. If that puts them in one-shot range, then they were already in one-shot range! (Assuming the poison is mixed in well and neither neutralised nor enhanced by the cooking.)

For the poison condition, it's pretty potent to give to everyone, but could be a good baseline. Maybe the chances are much lower than for the regular potion (you're getting a lot less for your body to handle), and/or it's a tweaked effect. Alternatively, some of them end up playing and fighting like they have mild diarrhea -- they won't stick around, and they might be more reluctant to fight. Could end up comical if the players catch the motivation (assuming that fits the campaign).

Mutbore
2021-08-21, 01:29 PM
Maybe ignore the damage component and have everyone who eats make a very low DC (7 or 8?) CON save or be poisoned. The more food being made, the lower the DC.

Zhorn
2021-08-21, 08:38 PM
If it's a single regular Potion of Poison, it's 3d6 if you drink the whole thing...
It's actually a bit more potent than that. 3d6 on the first drinking with DC 13 Con Save against being poisoned, and while poisoned its another 3d6 per round until they succeed 3x DC 13 Con Saves (reducing by one dice per successful save).

Alternatively, some of them end up playing and fighting like they have mild diarrhea -- they won't stick around, and they might be more reluctant to fight. Could end up comical if the players catch the motivation (assuming that fits the campaign). This did give me a chuckle. Might even have that as a flavour narration for some time after if the players wait long enough between the goblins eating and choosing to attacks. Poisoned condition sets in a short while after eating (diluted = delayed effect), with an hour later those goblins either racing off to find a tree or risk making a mess in the castle even they wouldn't want.