PDA

View Full Version : YbN1197's Forgotten Realms Campaign [AD&D 2nd edition]

ybn1197
2021-08-23, 11:23 AM
Alistair and Maria
You have recently left the safety of the Temple of Tyr in Neverwinter to travel to Waterdeep to converse with (if possible) the famed wizard Khelban Blackstaff. Taking the High Road, it was not long before you had to change your plans and take the Triboar Cutoff due to rumors of a tribe of goblins harassing travelers along the High Road. You discover an old trail heading south through an abandoned village left to ruin and the wilds. Alistair thinks it may have been named Phandalin but Maria has no idea. You continue trekking south, avoided the supposed haunted halls of Axeholm as you travel into the northern range of the Sword Mountains.
It is nearing night again and ahead you see lights from a tiny community. Alistair quickly realizes it is the tiny thorp of Stonepick Crossing. The thorp sits on top of an old dwarven dam holding. The dam was built some 500 years ago, ending a long war between a clan of dwarves and a clan of goblins that infested a highly-defensible cave complex. Recognizing the futility of direct assault, the dwarves built the dam to flood the goblin caves, flushing the foul creatures out of their caves and into the slaughter of honest combat. Now 500 years later, the dwarves have moved on and a small thorp has sprung up. The town is named for the dwarven clan leader who waged war against the goblins, Eltoren Stonepick. Near the protected town atop its dam, farmers till the soil around the lake created by the construction.

El Medico Asesino
The man who became known as El Medico Asesino has learned that the world is harsh and unforgiving. Those lessons were taught by first his schoolmates and then his master. But Asesino took matters into his own hands and in the end, left that life behind. Searching for ways to put his talents to use, Asesino has come to the tiny thorp of Stonepick Crossing after hearing of rumors of missing villagers.

Matthias Carter
From an insignificant mountain village, Matthias is a remarkably quick learner, but has difficulty staying focused and has already changed paths several times. He has apprenticed as a hunter, a bowyer, and a blacksmith, excelling at each but quickly growing bored of the monotony. He even taught himself to read using the village priest's old prayer book. Still, he craved more excitement than his village could offer, and eventually found a place as a caravan guard for an old dwarven trader named Dakmund whose route passed by his village. He has spent the last two years guarding various caravans and has now grown bored with that as well; now he wants real excitement, he wants *adventure.* Having made arrangements to part ways with Dakmund when they arrived in Stonepick Crossing, Matthias has no idea what awaits and no plans beyond the hunt for new and exciting experiences. He has just found a room at the River Rat Inn and has been hearing rumors of villagers going missing. Surely this could be the *adventure* he craves.

Mouse
Mouse has come a long distance from the Anauroch deserts but a whole new world has been opened before him. Life was simple before meeting Dakmund and his caravan but it was also redundant. Once he had joined up with the caravans, he has seen new opportunities. But eventually the caravan life became as mundane as life in the desert. When he heard another of the caravan guards was leaving at Stonepick Crossing, Mouse figured it the opportunity for new experiences and left with him. Now the two have been in the thorp long enough to learn of rumors of problems greatly impacting this small community.

Damon Auger
Damon has spent his whole life in Stonepick Crossing. He and his mother have a small home on the town level of the thorp (above the water line) and he has yearned for an opportunity to leave. Damon has become acquainted with Jerry the Shrew who operates the Adventurer's Shop on the water level (at water line). It is from Jerry that Damon has been procuring his gear to hopefully live up to his father's image. Lately, people have been vanishing from the thorp without a trace and this may be Damon's chance to prove himself.

JadedDM
2021-08-23, 05:19 PM
"I think that about does it," Damon says to Jerry the Shrew, as he packs up the last of the gear he just bought. "I have everything I need. Or good enough, anyway. More than my father had. Now I just need an opportunity. Say, you hear anything about those people disappearing? Are they just rumors or something more?" he asks.

onlie2005
2021-08-24, 01:10 AM
It was happening all too fast for Maria. As if grieving for her mother was bad enough, now she was on the road again. It had been weeks since her mother's passing, and the girl was pretty much in a sombre mood if not an emotional wreck. The girl was strong, stronger than most people thought she was even her. But for now she was vulnerable both emotionally and physically.

She just went through the motions, staying close to Allistair and keeping alert. If there was one good thing about her travelling as an adventurer that it took her mind off of the grief of losing her mother. She never spoke unless spoken to, a rare occurence from the normally outspoken 9 year old and kept to herself as much as possible,

Maria felt her stomach growl and she longed for a soft bed to sleep in, "Allistair can we find an inn in that town up ahead to stay in? I'm hungry and tired."

Grantley91
2021-08-24, 02:22 AM
Luckily for Maria, Alistair wasn't the type to just idly talk, so if she wanted to brood in silence, he was more than happy to let her. Not that he didn't enjoy her company, he just had more important things to worry about, like not getting ambushed and remembering how to get where they were going. Not to mention he had no idea what to say to her, being that both of his parents are still alive and he hadn't been through that sort of pain.

When Maria brings up food, Alistair nods, rubbing his stomach. "I think that is an amazing idea, little one. Food and rest is the exact thing we need," he agrees as they approach the town.

Paralynx
2021-08-24, 04:47 AM
Matthias returns to the common room of the inn with his face still damp from the cursory washing off of road-dust he attempted in his own room and his gauntlets hooked to his belt. He is oblivious to the glances his size and armaments draw as he approaches an empty table near the center of the room and settles into the sturdiest looking of the chairs. Even so, the chair creaks under the weight of man and armor as he waits for a chance to ask for repast and libations, taking advantage of the nature of the business to listen for any more information about the missing villagers; people love to talk over food and drink.

Triskavanski
2021-08-24, 08:04 AM
Mouse's large ears twitched as he searched about. The thing about being a cutpurse was the constant observational skills, as he scanned each person. Partially looking for easy marks, and those who would be thieves themselves. Though a the moment, the little fox didn't try to do anything illegal, wasn't any point to it. He had coin, for now, and he had only arrived, so no bolt houses, or hidey holes for him to sneak off to. Rumors though sounded like money, so he listened.

Paddywagon Man
2021-08-27, 03:06 PM
El Medico Asesino certainly does not inspire trust or confidence at a glance, masked and disfigured as he is, though his ample muscles tend to discourage troublemakers. He's not especially hopeful that he'll be getting much help from the villagers in his search for those that have gone missing, but he makes his way to the local inn all the same, hungry after a tiring journey.

ybn1197
2021-08-31, 02:07 PM
Damon Auger

"I think that about does it," Damon says to Jerry the Shrew, as he packs up the last of the gear he just bought. "I have everything I need. Or good enough, anyway. More than my father had. Now I just need an opportunity. Say, you hear anything about those people disappearing? Are they just rumors or something more?" he asks.
Jerry gives you a blank stare; you know he is on the town council and privy to everything including rumors. Damon, you know this is a small piece of land and people come and go with more regularity than the weather. I'm sure those who 'disappeared' have really just moved on to greener pastures. Like the rest of the council, I think there is nothing to the rumors. He pauses a moment and looks about the store front even though you are the only two here. "What I have heard though is there is a group of thieves operating out of here somewhere. That concerns me more. A lot of folk here enjoy the livin' here and would rather not have to move because of a group of miscreants taking things that aren't theirs; if you get my meaning."

Everyone Else
The remainder of you have taken up rooms at the River Rat Inn. A sign hangs above the door showing a rat rowing a boat. The inside of the inn is well kept and very clean. The windows are always open to let in the fresh air. The smell of good food and fresh baked pies invite you to the common room for a meal, hungry or not. The inn’s proprietor is an odd looking halfling who goes by the name of Milo; his hair is long and dyed multiple colors giving him his odd look. There are two young human women tending to the patrons at the bar and seated at tables, Anna and Peggy. There is also a young boy whom you have seen named Jimmy who is in charge of the stables. The staff is finished out by a larger man wearing studded leather armor and openly carrying a club with a short sword sheathed at his hip. Though he hasn't been called, you quickly realize he is the bouncer. There are 9 other villagers scattered throughout the room eating and drinking. You all stand out like sore thumbs in your gear in comparison to the simple dress of the locals.

JadedDM
2021-08-31, 10:48 PM
"Thieves, in our town?" Damon repeats, aghast. "And the town garrison does nothing?" Damon shakes his head, disgusted. "It's probably just a bunch of halfling hooligans or something. I could probably take care of them." Cleaning up the criminal element in town could be a good start for his journey toward fame and heroism, he decides. "Any idea where I can start my search?"

onlie2005
2021-08-31, 11:09 PM
Maria was a very brave girl. But it did not mean she was used to rouching it. The cooler climate made it feel colder for her than most locals because she came from by and large a desert nation where humid and hot temperatures were the norm. Try as she might, she could not help groan and shiver and outwardly show aches and pains from travel on the road in a very different clime than she was used to. So the opportunity for shelter and a chance to rest and recuperate from a day's travel was a welcome sight.

Maria will just follow Allistair around and stay close. She is canny enough not to wander off from him in a strange and unfamiliar land where she could easily get lost or attacked. Not that she would be expecting an attack in such a populated place. But for now she chose to be cautious and let her current guardian do the talking and handle the room and board arrangements.

"Allistair could you please order for me some beef stew and apple cider? Maybe we could have a bath too....", Maria hesitates for a moment pensive and thinking. It was a habit she inherited from her mother, a tendency to plan ahead and think things through. Frowning she said, "No I don't think I can afford it."

Paddywagon Man
2021-09-01, 12:03 AM
Hearing Maria's words and recognizing an obvious fellow traveler as out of place as he himself is, the heavily muscled doctor speaks up in a slightly strangled voice. "I have... coin, and my needs are humble enough to require very little of it... I could pay, for a fellow traveler."

It wouldn't hurt to make a few acquaintances... and while he is far from the most talented mage, he's familiar enough with the trappings of magic from his long apprenticeship to recognize the smells of a fellow wizard's spell components.

Triskavanski
2021-09-01, 07:31 AM
Mouse entered into the Tavern himself. The little fox dressed more of the part of a vagrant than that of an adventurer. Glancing to the bouncer he quickly thrust a paw holding a coin. "I have coin! " He says shaking it for the bouncer to see. He was after all a bit dingy and filthy, most of his equipment made to look like rags or covered with the rags. A filthy little street urchin, but one with coin was often tolerated so long as they spend it. Which he did for a meager soup, bread, and grog.

Grantley91
2021-09-01, 01:24 PM
Alistair walked into the thorp, looking around at all the comings and goings of a small town, which he was slightly unaccustomed to as he was raised mostly in a temple. He led Maria into the local tavern, knowing this was the best place to find a warm meal and a bed to sleep, and as he entered the establishment he glanced at all the patrons with a weary eye. This place may seem like the perfect small town life, but he was always wondering if they were about to be attacked, just in case, vigilance was ever important when toting around a potential target for Thayan red wizards.

At Maria's prompting, Alistair nodded, reaching for his coinpurse before being offered the donation of not one, but two strange men he had never seen hide nor tail of before. What an odd occurrence, he thought, to be given coin so freely and generously, without as much as a word of a request. Looking up at the two men who offered their gold to Maria, Alistair pursed his lips and shook his head. "That is quite alright, I have plenty of coin for room and board. Thank you, though," he responded tersely, giving them both a sideways glance as if he suspected them to stab him in the back for the slight. That, or they were actually cutthroats, here to murder him and his young charge. These two might not look like wizards, but it was quite possible that the Thayans hired out the job to local mercenaries that might be more readily available and looking to make a quick bit of coin.

Turning to the bartender, he ordered a hot meal for both of them, a tankard of beer for himself, as well as a room, and enough hot water that they could both take, separate, baths. He placed more than enough coin on the counter to cover the cost of the food and the room, and asked, "I hear tale of missing people in town. We might just be passing through, but if there is need for our services, perhaps we could be of use before we leave. Is there anything you can tell us?" He looked to Maria to see what she thought about the proposition, just as much as the bartender.

onlie2005
2021-09-01, 09:53 PM
Maria was taken aback as her current guardian about the offered coin. Thankfully Allistair dealt with the somewhat awkward situation. Besides the somewhat smaller. scruffy looking one seemed to need the coin more than she ever would. Of course she had her suspicions as well, especially regarding Mouse but she was empathic and not judgemental enough not to be rude or hostile. If anything her money pouch was deep within her backpack so it would be impossible for her not to notice an attempt at taking it.

"No thank you I think we have enough coin.", Maria answers with a polite and nonjudgemental smile. She just shrugs at the mention of the missing people. Maria wanted to help but right now she was too tired and hungry to think or act.

Paddywagon Man
2021-09-06, 10:23 PM
"Missing people, yes. I had hoped to investigate the same. Perhaps we'd both have more success with our efforts pooled?

I am... El Medico Asesino. And you are?"

ybn1197
2021-09-08, 01:08 PM
Damon Auger

"Thieves, in our town?" Damon repeats, aghast. "And the town garrison does nothing?" Damon shakes his head, disgusted. "It's probably just a bunch of halfling hooligans or something. I could probably take care of them." Cleaning up the criminal element in town could be a good start for his journey toward fame and heroism, he decides. "Any idea where I can start my search?"

Jerry shakes his head negatively. "Now don't go spreading lies about the town garrison. Tom Blackblade does the best he can with what he has and you know that Damon Auger," he says pointing at you to re-enforce his statement. "You just need to let Tom and his men take care of this and leave it be."

River Rat Inn
Milo looks around in a conspiratorial manner checking to make sure no one else is listening. "A local merchant came up missing just last week. His family is offering a reward for his safe return," he says in a near whisper so that you three are the only ones to hear him. In a more normal voice he says "thanks," taking the coin. "I'll bring your food and drink to your table momentarily."
Alistair please deduct 1 gp for your room, 1 gp for the very good tankard of beer, and 44 cp for the dinners.
Milo turns to look at El Medico Asesino.

JadedDM
2021-09-08, 06:04 PM
Damon stares at Jerry in annoyance. "But...you were the one who brought it up in the first place. Bah, never mind," he says, buttoning up his pack and slipping it over his shoulder. "I'll figure out my own way of making a name for myself."

Damon knew he had a destiny, and that whatever he was fated to do would work out for him in the end. He just needed to get started. He had heard enough tavern tales to know how these things work. The humble hero first always goes to the local tavern, so he'll do that. He's dating one of the barmaids there anyway, surely she'll have heard something that can help. Thus, he walks with purpose toward the local watering hole.

onlie2005
2021-09-11, 09:29 PM
Even at her tender young years, Maria found the barkeeps reactions to the questions somewhat strange. On the other hand she grew up in a nation composed mostly of power hungry backstabbers. Intrigue and secrecy were the norm and she should have been used to it.

In equally quiet whispering tones she asked, "Why are we whispering? How long has these disappearances been occurring? Is there a generally specific time or place they have been occurring? Do they seem to happen to random people or do there specifically be a particular group of people?"

Triskavanski
2021-09-11, 11:33 PM
Mouse pays for his food and enjoys the feast for now, his large ears listening in on conversations to find a new hit. Hearing more of thieves though, he figures it may be best to move onto the next town and not do any larceny here. Or perhaps offer some services to helping to find the other thieves, then again, most thieves had a guild and they certainly didn't take kindly to muscling into their terrain.

Grantley91
2021-09-13, 03:37 PM
Damon Auger

Jerry shakes his head negatively. "Now don't go spreading lies about the town garrison. Tom Blackblade does the best he can with what he has and you know that Damon Auger," he says pointing at you to re-enforce his statement. "You just need to let Tom and his men take care of this and leave it be."

River Rat Inn
Milo looks around in a conspiratorial manner checking to make sure no one else is listening. "A local merchant came up missing just last week. His family is offering a reward for his safe return," he says in a near whisper so that you three are the only ones to hear him. In a more normal voice he says "thanks," taking the coin. "I'll bring your food and drink to your table momentarily."
Alistair please deduct 1 gp for your room, 1 gp for the very good tankard of beer, and 44 cp for the dinners.
Milo turns to look at El Medico Asesino.

Alistair, likewise, was curious why they were whispering, but he leaned in all the same and kept with the same tone. "Where can we find this family of his? They would be the best place to start an investigation, I would think," he asked the bartender, thanking him for the food and drink. He also wondered what answers he would have for Maria.

Paralynx
2021-09-14, 08:01 PM
Picking up bits and pieces of the conversation at the bar, Matthias stands and walks to join the others. His size and armaments may be intimidating for a moment, but as he smiles in greeting any trace of menace slips away and he looks barely out of adolescence, "I had also resolved to investigate the disappearances, if you wouldn't mind another pair of hands. My name is Matthias."

Paddywagon Man
2021-09-14, 11:48 PM
El Medico Asesino frowns beneath his mask. "Are you not... rather young? The traveller's young ward as well? I would appreciate like-minded companions in investigating these disappearances, but I should not like to see a youth put in danger."

ybn1197
2021-09-15, 01:15 PM
As you all gather at an empty table to discuss, Milo comes out from around the bar with drinks and begins placing them in front of those who have ordered them. Moving about the table, he always waits till he is between two of you to say anything and then only in low tones.

In equally quiet whispering tones she asked, "Why are we whispering? How long has these disappearances been occurring? Is there a generally specific time or place they have been occurring? Do they seem to happen to random people or do there specifically be a particular group of people?"

"We whisper my dear because the walls have ears. The family believes his captors are still here." He makes his way further around the table. "They even thing someone on the town council is involved. Dirty money to turn a blind eye." He moves about again. "Don't know how long it's been going on as some think it started with passer-bys that no one would miss. And while the merchant was frequently away, it is his family who live here."

Alistair, likewise, was curious why they were whispering, but he leaned in all the same and kept with the same tone. "Where can we find this family of his? They would be the best place to start an investigation, I would think," he asked the bartender, thanking him for the food and drink. He also wondered what answers he would have for Maria.

"He and his family live in a small house on the other side of the spillway. Turn left after Isamu's house and left again before you get to the Herbalist."

Before another question can be asked he returns to the kitchen, presumably to get the dinners. This gives you a moment to discuss what he has said.

Damon, you can enter any time.

JadedDM
2021-09-15, 10:13 PM
A young human, perhaps in his early twenties, steps inside the inn. He is broad-shouldered and muscular, with short black hair, bright blue eyes and a fair complexion. He's dressed in decent clothes of simple make and is wearing old chain mail, and has a bastard sword strapped to his back.

He glances around the common area before making a beeline to the counter. "I'm looking for information," he says to the innkeeper (or whoever is standing behind the counter currently). "I've heard rumors of people disappearing in these parts. And also rumors of a band of thieves operating in town. I'm looking for leads to either, or both," he says with authority.

ybn1197
2021-09-16, 08:57 AM
Anna, the woman whom Damen has been seeing, lights up momentarily before seeing the dedicated look on Damen's face. "I don't know anything of the sort but I overheard Milo talking to that group over there about just that," she says indicating a group of travelers sitting at one of the tables.

Grantley91
2021-09-16, 03:29 PM
Alistair gives Medico a curious glance, wondering how young the other man thought he was. "I assure you, sir, that my companion and myself can more than handily take care of ourselves. If you are going to worry about someone, do not let it be us," he assured the large man.

When the bartender spills his guts about what was going on, the young man nodded at his discretion, understanding that not everything was as it seemed here. "Thank you very much for the information. Should we find these missing people and come upon a reward, I will be sure to give you your own reward for your assistance," he nodded in thanks. He let the others decide if they had more questions for when he returned.

JadedDM
2021-09-16, 10:19 PM
"Thanks, doll," Damon says to Anna. "What time you off tonight? Want to get some dinner after?"

After getting her answer, he then heads to the table where Milo is. "You there, halfling. I've heard rumors of people disappearing and of a band of thieves operating in town. I'm looking for leads to either, or both."

onlie2005
2021-09-18, 02:24 AM
Maria did not answer El Medico not because she was being rude but because her guardian answered for her. Although she really did not want to bring any attention to herself as much as possible. She did not know these people and although she was trying not to be judgemental and be polite and honest. They did not seem all that bad but she was not taking any chances.

"Well I am Maria and this is Allistair. Whereever he goes I go."

When they sit at the table she sits close to Allistair. As she is drinking her cider she hears someone mention a halfling and automatically ignores it After all she is not a halfling. She lacks the breasts of female adult halfling marking her as a little girl and at 3'9", just only slightly shorter than most dwarves she is too tall and large to be a halfling child. She is too lithe and not as stocky. In fact she is a human child.

Triskavanski
2021-09-24, 12:32 PM
Mouse's large ears continue to eaves drop on the conversations around the tavern.

Paddywagon Man
2021-09-28, 10:53 PM
"I see no reason to wait then! I've found I do not inspire trust easily, so perhaps one of you would be better suited to asking the questions - but if we both aim to resolve the same problems, I should be happy to lend my strength."

ybn1197
2021-10-04, 09:15 AM
After you have had a moment to talk amongst yourselves, Milo returns with plates of food for those who ordered something to eat. As he slowly moves around the table, he softly asks "Do you have anything else you may need?"

onlie2005
2021-10-04, 12:32 PM
As Maria begins eating she whispers to Milo, "Where was the missing merchant last seen? Did he act or behave any differently or strangely before his disappearance? Is he the only one who disappeared?"

JadedDM
2021-10-04, 06:57 PM
"I do, halfling," Damon says. "I've heard rumors of people disappearing and of a band of thieves operating in town. I'm looking for leads to either, or both."

Paddywagon Man
2021-10-08, 11:24 PM
The burly wizard idly sharpens a dagger, having little to add but listening closely to the discussion of clues and leads.

Paralynx
2021-10-09, 06:40 AM
Matthias eats slowly, considering for a few moments before he ventures a question; "Had the missing merchant had any recent strife with other local merchants or officials?" His mind was already running to possible triggers, such as competition with a merchant, an argument with a powerful citizen, and so on, as he waited for a response.

ybn1197
2021-10-11, 01:02 PM
"I do, halfling," Damon says. "I've heard rumors of people disappearing and of a band of thieves operating in town. I'm looking for leads to either, or both."
"Aye young man," Milo starts. "I was just telling your companions here of a missing merchant."

... "Where was the missing merchant last seen? Did he act or behave any differently or strangely before his disappearance? Is he the only one who disappeared?"
"I've heard he was out for a late night walk when he was nabbed. As to him being the only, no. But it seems he is the first local. There has been stories of travelers disappearing in the night but those rumors abound in all small towns. There has also been some stories of the area farmers going missing.
I haven't heard of a thieves acting in a band here, we are a small village after all."

JadedDM
2021-10-11, 08:15 PM
Damon seems surprised. "My what? Companions? Who, these people? Never seen them before in my life." He looks over the assembled group. "Are you looking into these disappearances, as well?"

Triskavanski
2021-10-11, 10:20 PM
Mouse fidgeted slightly as he ate his own food. He wasn't entirely sure what to do at this point, as the group seemed to be very anti-thief. Granted, who wouldn't be, but then again, it may be a chance for the lowly pickpocket to rise above petty theft and into something of the more grand larceny, governmental work. Then again, this may be a fool hardy group who gets themselves killed at the first goblin, so may be best to follow them in secret, listening in from a distance.

onlie2005
2021-10-12, 11:00 PM
Maria looks at Damon strangely and says, "I am not a halfling."

JadedDM
2021-10-13, 05:24 PM
"I was not addressing you, but the innkeeper," Damon says to the child.