PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Circle Of Flora

JNAProductions
2021-08-23, 12:42 PM
Circle Of Flora

Plant Talk
At level two, you gain the ability to converse with plants and many fey. You learn the Sylvan language. Additionally, you may communicate with plants-you must speak out loud to be understood, and plants under your conversation respond mentally. Plants generally gain more knowledge and complexity as they age-while a blade of grass might not be able to tell you much, an ancient oak is likely to be a grand repository of information. Note that plants are under no obligation to be friendly towards you through this ability. Finally, you may communicate in any language to any plant creature, similar to conversing with ordinary plant life.

Plant Shape
Also at level two, you can use Wild Shape to assume the form of plants, as well as beasts. If you wildshape into a plant that is not a creature, you are granted senses and locomotion similar to that of a plant that had Awaken cast on it. When you Wild Shape into a plant, you may turn into any plant of CR 1 or lower. Then, at level six, you may turn into any plant with a CR equal to or less than one-third of your Druid level, rounding down. You must still abide by the other restrictions on Wild Shape. Additionally, any effects that would last from an effect generated by a plant creature you turn into fade as soon your Wild Shape ends.

Green Footfalls
At level six, your very steps suffuse the ground beneath you with life. Plants near you are empowered, and sprouts of grass grow from beneath the path you walk on. As part of this, you learn the Plant Growth spell and are always considered to have it prepared, without counting against the number of spells you may normally prepare. You may cast it once without spending a spell slot at its lowest level, and regain the ability to do so upon completing a long rest. Finally, you may use an action to concentrate your ability to raise plants, causing ordinary plant life to grow anywhere it's possible for it to live around you, in a radius out to 10' times your proficiency bonus.

Land's Stride
Starting at level six, moving through nonmagical difficult terrain costs you no extra movement. You can also pass through nonmagical plants without being slowed by them and without taking damage from them if they have thorns, spines, or a similar hazard. In addition, you have advantage on saving throws against plants that are magically created or manipulated to impede movement, such as those created by the Entangle spell.

This is straight from the Land Druid. It feels VERY appropriate for this subclass, and given that this subclass doesn't have Natural Recovery or bonus spells (other than Plant Growth) I don't think it's unreasonable to have Land's Stride and another thing,.

Awaken Plants
At level ten, you learn the Awaken spell and are always considered to have it prepared, without counting against the number of spells you may normally prepare. You may cast it once without expending a spell slot or any material components, though when you do so, the newly sentient plant is not Charmed by you. Additionally, when you cast Awaken, you may choose to lower its casting time by changing its duration. If cast as an action, it lasts for one minute and requires Concentration. If cast with a minute, it lasts for one hour and requires Concentration. If cast with an hour, it lasts 24 hours.

Bountiful Garden
At level fourteen, your life-giving spells are enhanced. Whenever you cast a spell or use an ability that restores HP, increases maximum HP, or grants THP, the amount restored, increased, and/or granted is increased by your proficiency bonus. This applies each time HP is restored, max HP is increased, or THP is granted.

Of Flora
Also at level fourteen, your body takes on many aspects of plant life. You gain 14 HP and one additional HP for each further Druid level taken, your AC increases by 1, and you may choose to be treated as a plant instead of or in addition to your normal type whenever you like.

Changelog
Upon my friend's advice, changing Plant Shape to have faster progression. Same as Moon Druid's, but with a lot less options and not nearly as much support for Wild Shape as that subclass.

Modifying Plant Shape, to hopefully address any lasting issues.

Grod_The_Giant
2021-08-23, 01:50 PM
Any time you provide unrestricted access to monsters, there's potential for abuse--or at the very least difficult-to-adjudicate abilities. Looking over low-CR plants...
Gas Spores can straight up kill anything, unless the monster can get its hands on a cure disease spell.
The Mycanoid Adult's stun attack is brutal.
The Tri-Flower Frond has a "save or be knocked out for a minute plus" ability.
The Mycanoid Soverigen has a nasty stun, a save-or-incap ability, and can make spore servants that last for weeks.
Yellow Musk Creepers make perma-zombies.
I'd suggest an explicit white-list instead.

Otherwise, Of Flora seems a little dull, but everything else is very cool and thematic.

nickl_2000
2021-08-23, 01:50 PM
Plant Talk - So, there is nothing wrong with this per se. It works as is and has no problems. It might be easier on people's head canon if you had the PC speak with them telepathically though. Just easier than plants all the sudden gaining the ability to talk out loud.

Plant Shape - The only issue I see with this is that there aren't any CR 6 plants in official material. Not horrible, but kind of sucks for a PC. It might be nice to give your PCs a few option when offering this subclass for use.

I don't see anything wrong with the 2 level six abilities. Land's stride is incredibly fitting, and honestly I always found it as a little bit weak for Land Druids. So, it seems fine to me. In the Green Footfalls abilities, I am not sure what this mean mechanically "Finally, you may use an action to concentrate your ability to raise plants, causing ordinary plant life to grow anywhere it's possible for it to live around you, in a radius out to 10' times your proficiency bonus." You are using an action, what actually happens? How fast do the plants grow? Is it using concentration?

Overall it seems pretty fitting. I like the flavor, I like the abilities. I wouldn't mind seeing something make plant attacks magical like in the Moon Druid, but it isn't necessary

A few things to watch out for with transformations.
-Thorny from Volo's. The regeneration here could be incredibly powerful as a damage sponge.
-Myconid Sovereign - The Animating Spores feature could be really abused. With enough spores you could animate 6 corpses per short rest. Within a few days you could have 100 spore servants running around with you.
-Vegepygmy Chief has a spear attack. Do you get the spear with the transformation?
-Wood Woad also regenerates, could be a problem for damage sponging as well, although less so at this high of a level.

JNAProductions
2021-08-23, 02:06 PM
Changed Plant Shape, to make anything that would last after the Shape ends gets removed. That SHOULD remove most of the abuse.

Stunning is potent, but it's also a low Constitution DC. It'd be useful in some cases, but with only 22 HP, AC 12, and a 20' move speed, I don't THINK it'd be broken.

I'll modify Plant Talk too.

nickl_2000
2021-08-23, 02:21 PM
Changed Plant Shape, to make anything that would last after the Shape ends gets removed. That SHOULD remove most of the abuse.

Stunning is potent, but it's also a low Constitution DC. It'd be useful in some cases, but with only 22 HP, AC 12, and a 20' move speed, I don't THINK it'd be broken.

I'll modify Plant Talk too.

That will remove a significant amount of abuse, that will make a difference. The regeneration may still end up being an issue, especially if you boost the AC at all. However, you may just need to watch that one during play testing, I know I would be using it a lot personally.

JNAProductions
2021-08-23, 02:25 PM
That will remove a significant amount of abuse, that will make a difference. The regeneration may still end up being an issue, especially if you boost the AC at all. However, you may just need to watch that one during play testing, I know I would be using it a lot personally.

I think that, with the RAW of Wild Shape, even if your thorny still has regen active when it hits 0, you’d go back to your natural form.

So I don’t think 5 regen on a 27 HP form is that bad. You COULD be super tanky, if you get an AC boost and Dodge and are at a chokehold or something. But in general, I don’t think it’s a big deal.

Xihirli
2021-08-23, 02:36 PM
Land's Stride is a confusing name, I think. That's already an ability, right?

nickl_2000
2021-08-23, 02:39 PM
Land's Stride is a confusing name, I think. That's already an ability, right?

Yup it is for Land Druid and Ranger already. However, it's an exact copy.

JNAProductions
2021-08-23, 02:42 PM
Yup it is for Land Druid and Ranger already. However, it's an exact copy.

Yeah. It's the same ability, so same name.