PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of this ability score rule?

SangoProduction
2021-08-24, 01:31 AM
Ability points from levelling up (4/8/12/etc), give a +2 bonus if the stat is 16 and lower and +1 if its 17+

Saw this, and thought, "Yeah. That's elegant and simple"
I typically bump it to a straight up +2, flat. But obviously that adds power to all characters. While this obviously favors the MADs, without changing anything for the SADs.

Obviously...however...not an incredible gulf in power. So I doubt that was the intention. More likely it was just wanting to make the ability points from leveling up feel better, without affecting the already most powerful builds.

Endarire
2021-08-24, 01:37 AM
+1 to +2 ability score points at a time.

Even if you apply all these points to a caster's casting stat, it's still only +2.5 modifier higher at level 20 than current, and lower before that.

My preferred method is giving +2 stat points to 2 ability scores that must be different, like INT and WIS or INT and DEX.

noce
2021-08-24, 02:10 AM
It's not so complicated but maybe still too good for casters.
A cleric could start with 16 WIS and STR and 14 CHA, and bumping them +2 at a time to reach 18 in all three by level 16.

Particle_Man
2021-08-24, 03:01 AM
It might allow one to dump con a little more than usual at chargen and then bring it up to 16 as one progresses. It also might give MAD characters more of a boost, which I don't see as a bad thing. Monks and Theurges could use the love.

Xervous
2021-08-24, 07:46 AM
This doesn’t do much to address the issue that MAD characters desire multiple +X items while SAD just grab their headband of intellect and spend the difference elsewhere

Psyren
2021-08-24, 09:59 AM
Starfinder does this and it works fine. (And in fact you bump more than one ability score at a time too.)

RandomPeasant
2021-08-24, 10:06 AM
I mean, it's fine, but I don't think you're looking at a huge impact either way. Like Endarire said, if you want to help MAD characters, the thing you should focus on is item pricing, because that's what really gets you.