PDA

View Full Version : Bottled Respite

Grod_The_Giant
2021-08-24, 10:35 AM
Why don't we talk about this feature more? It's so good! It's like a portable hole only you can access-- you can store so much stuff in there, and there's no way for anyone else to get at it. Ultimate security! I've only had the feature a few months now and I've used it to sneak into a fortress, to carry a thousand extra pounds of coins out of a giant's stronghold, and to stash artifacts of unspeakable evil that enemies keep trying to steal. Who else has stories?

Petelo4f
2021-08-24, 10:51 AM
It is an absurd ribbon ability BUT......you have to clear with your DM what items you can bring into your bottled respite with you, as the feature doesn't mention any particular method of getting items into the respite itself. It has rules for what happens to items already in your respite if the respite gets destroyed, but not for bringing items in. I think it pretty clear any item you are currently carrying comes with you (as the feature makes no mention of you leaving items you have on you behind) but that is just my assumed RAI....the RAW isn't there.

But.........................once you get that weirdness taken care of, being a Genie-Lock with a familiar (either through chain or tome) is the best infiltration you can get this side of Teleport. I love being carried by my invisible imp to listen in on the dark secrets of cult murder-death-kill.

Oh and if you are looking for something kind of cute, bring a Pot of Awakening into your ring so you can have a sentient plant friend inside your ring to keep you company.

SharkForce
2021-08-25, 04:01 PM
for the cost of a 4th level spell slot every ~60 days and 5050 gp, you can accomplish much the same thing with leomund's secret chest (unless you were thinking of storing a ladder in there I suppose), except you can access it far more often than once per day. it's been around since the beginning, and nobody talks about that either.

if anything, we should be wondering why nobody talks about that.

MaxWilson
2021-08-25, 04:43 PM
I love being carried by my invisible imp to listen in on the dark secrets of cult murder-death-kill.

As opposed to just turning invisible and listening in in person?

I think the rate-limited entry is a real buzz-killer for me. Who wants a house you can only enter once a day? It's weird and unsatisfying.

Greywander
2021-08-25, 05:04 PM
I think the rate-limited entry is a real buzz-killer for me. Who wants a house you can only enter once a day? It's weird and unsatisfying.
It's so weird because it's such a thematic ability. What kind of genie can't pop in and out of their vessel at will? I don't know that this feature needs a buff, but it would have made sense to allow the genielock to enter and exit their vessel at-will, and to stay in there indefinitely. You could keep the limits for bringing your party into the vessel, but you yourself should have unlimited access to it.

Then again, that would make this feature a lot more useful than it already is. Genielocks are probably strong enough as it is. It just seems weird they weren't designed around this in the first place.

Grod_The_Giant
2021-08-25, 05:07 PM
if anything, we should be wondering why nobody talks about that.
I mean, it's useful, but Bottled Respite has three key advantages that add up to make something very different:
Bottled Respite is available way, way earlier.
Bottled Respite is more secure. There's no way for anyone else to access the space, even if they have your Vessel. The Chest, meanwhile, is sitting on the Ethereal Plane where a sufficiently determined foe could still get at it. But most importantly...
Bottled Respite has an order of magnitude more space. You'd have trouble fitting a single longsword into the Chest, whereas the Respite is absurdly large even by building standards (seriously, the thing is over 1200 square feet and 20ft tall-- pretty sure that's bigger than my entire house).

Thunderous Mojo
2021-08-25, 05:09 PM

That is my conclusion as well. More is the pity, as I wanted to use the genilock as the base for a House Ghallanda NPC...a sort of Alfred from Batman type character, but for hire for 'Field Operations'.

Ultimately, I decided that a Celestial Warlock just fit the bill better, (and allows a Dragonmarked Character to be directly connected to the Silver Flame).

Sanctuary Vessel is outclassed by Demiplane as a Mystic Arcana selection, and the Temp HP a Celestial Warlock grants I think outweighs the one free Catnap spell-like effect granted by Sanctuary Vessel.

As an aside: Goodberry in a Short Rest Spell Slot seems awfully good.
I might have to make a PC and not just an NPC. A Hospitality Halfling, Celestial Warlock as a PC has some legs on it!

MaxWilson
2021-08-25, 05:13 PM
I mean, it's useful, but Bottled Respite has three key advantages that add up to make something very different:
Bottled Respite is available way, way earlier.
Bottled Respite is more secure. There's no way for anyone else to access the space, even if they have your Vessel. The Chest, meanwhile, is sitting on the Ethereal Plane where a sufficiently determined foe could still get at it. But most importantly...
Bottled Respite has an order of magnitude more space. You'd have trouble fitting a single longsword into the Chest, whereas the Respite is absurdly large even by building standards (seriously, the thing is over 1200 square feet and 20ft tall-- pretty sure that's bigger than my entire house).

And Bottled Respite has no risk of destroying the contents.

Although I don't think a 20' radius (1256 square feet) is particularly large. The median single-family house in the US is over 2300 square feet per https://www.statista.com/statistics/456925/median-size-of-single-family-home-usa/, and cylinder space is hard to use efficiently.

LordShade
2021-08-25, 05:24 PM
It's so weird because it's such a thematic ability. What kind of genie can't pop in and out of their vessel at will? I don't know that this feature needs a buff, but it would have made sense to allow the genielock to enter and exit their vessel at-will, and to stay in there indefinitely. You could keep the limits for bringing your party into the vessel, but you yourself should have unlimited access to it.

Then again, that would make this feature a lot more useful than it already is. Genielocks are probably strong enough as it is. It just seems weird they weren't designed around this in the first place.

Thematically, to me, this ability is exactly backwards. Since when is a magic lamp a gift given by a genie to Aladdin for him to hide in? Usually, it's the genie who is trapped in/lives in the lamp and Aladdin rubs it to bring the genie out.

@Max - at 1256 floor square footage, and a 20' ceiling, it would be the size of a median house if it had a second floor. Can it have a second floor?

Trask
2021-08-25, 05:46 PM
Genie warlock I'm playing alongside right now uses this feature to great effect (read: every chance he gets).

The most notable examples have been having his imp pick it up, turn invisible and carry him through a dungeon, or an almost guaranteed way to get the jump on someone.

BerzerkerUnit
2021-08-25, 05:51 PM
Thematically, to me, this ability is exactly backwards. Since when is a magic lamp a gift given by a genie to Aladdin for him to hide in? Usually, it's the genie who is trapped in/lives in the lamp and Aladdin rubs it to bring the genie out.

@Max - at 1256 floor square footage, and a 20' ceiling, it would be the size of a median house if it had a second floor. Can it have a second floor?

I think the idea is the PC is being groomed to take the Genie’s place as one bound to grant the wishes of others. Parceling out the cosmic power and getting them ready for itty bitty living space.

Unoriginal
2021-08-25, 05:56 PM

The fact it is backward is the whole joke.

Genie Patron is when the Genie is the boss.

Greywander
2021-08-25, 06:08 PM
Yeah, as someone else said, genielock is less "genie grants you power" and more "become a genie"*. But if they're going to give you such an ability, I'm confused why they wouldn't let you use like a genie could. It's like they give you a cool ability to fit a concept, but then break the ability in half, so you can still kind of use it but it's no longer that good at fitting that concept anymore.

*Part of the problem with the "genie grants you power" is that it could be any kind of power. Really it would be more suitable as a backstory for how you became a particular class, and could be applied to any class (though sorcerer might be the most appropriate). "Genie grants you power" isn't really a class in itself. On the other hand, "become a genie" does make a lot of sense as a class, if a bit strange conceptually (since when does anyone "become a genie"?).

MaxWilson
2021-08-25, 06:11 PM

I see no indication that it's anything but a bare chamber of a rather inconvenient shape. It's better to think of it as somewhat smaller than a circle painted onto half of a high school basketball court (84' x 50') rather than in terms of house square footage. You've got roughly 1/3 of a basketball court's area and about the same ceiling height.

That's not going to feel much like a large house.

Dualswinger
2021-08-25, 06:41 PM
I see no indication that it's anything but a bare chamber of a rather inconvenient shape. It's better to think of it as somewhat smaller than a circle painted onto half of a high school basketball court (84' x 50') rather than in terms of house square footage. You've got roughly 1/3 of a basketball court's area and about the same ceiling height.

That's not going to feel much like a large house.

Well that's why we want to bring in our own construction materials! Gotta Fallout 4 this vessel! :D

If I was pushed for a RAW ruling I'd argue that you would have to be able to carry it under your own power, so anything up to your carry limit is fair game. Though of course you or an ally could just cast one of those spells that fabricates or summons the materials for you while inside the respite.

LordShade
2021-08-25, 07:25 PM
I'm imagining that it's a cozy hookah lounge kind of place with cushions strewn across the floor, with some mezze platters lying around and fresh bread.

I'm not even joking, that's the first image that came to my mind when I read the ability.

Lunali
2021-08-25, 07:54 PM
And Bottled Respite has no risk of destroying the contents.

Although I don't think a 20' radius (1256 square feet) is particularly large. The median single-family house in the US is over 2300 square feet per https://www.statista.com/statistics/456925/median-size-of-single-family-home-usa/, and cylinder space is hard to use efficiently.

Since it has effectively no exterior and only one floor, (unless you build a loft) it would be more appropriate to compare it to an apartment. The size is comparable to a three bedroom apartment intended for a family.

OracularPoet
2021-08-25, 08:34 PM
As an aside: Goodberry in a Short Rest Spell Slot seems awfully good.
I might have to make a PC and not just an NPC. A Hospitality Halfling, Celestial Warlock as a PC has some legs on it!

LudicSavant has a take on that.

Celestial Giftlocks (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25029862&postcount=1095)

Greywander
2021-08-25, 11:04 PM
One limitation we have to keep in mind with this feature is that I believe you're technically on a separate plane while inside it, so while you could have your familiar carry the vessel while you're inside it, you would be unable to communicate with them. You can hear things outside the vessel, so your familiar could verbally speak to you (if they're a chainlock familiar), but you'd be unable to communicate back with them to give them instructions on where to take you. You'll have to create a plan ahead of time, and then trust your familiar to be able to adapt to any complications. You can use Sending to communicate with them, albeit with a small chance of failure. The ideal setup would be one chainlock and one tomelock working together, with the tomelock having the Far Scribe feature so they can cast Sending at will.

As for being limited on how often you can enter the vessel, what would be fair to give up in order to be able to enter your vessel at-will? Say, starting at 10th level, as that's when you gain the ability to bring your party inside (who would still be bound by the previous limitations). Perhaps it would make sense to give up the 10 minute short rest and bonus to spending hit dice?