PDA

View Full Version : Ranged Disarm

blue chicken
2007-11-15, 05:51 PM
...what are the modifiers involved? It's probably a silly question and I'm just missing some supporting text somewhere.

The arrow would count as an improvised light weapon, and that's some serious negativity there. On the other hand, a bow is...two handed? So if you count that as a weapon...surely you don't get a +4.

Or is it just a regular weapon, with no penalties or bonuses?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

Jack Zander
2007-11-15, 05:55 PM
There are no rules for it in DnD. It's not possible. Star Wars Saga Edition has ranged disarm rules though. Yes, there is a huge penalty, but I don't think I can say much more.

Crow
2007-11-15, 05:57 PM
I swear there is a feat in Complete Warrior that lets you do this.

Jasdoif
2007-11-15, 05:59 PM
I swear there is a feat in Complete Warrior that lets you do this.I think it's a class feature of the Master Thrower...can't check books now, though.

Jack Zander
2007-11-15, 06:00 PM
I swear there is a feat in Complete Warrior that lets you do this.

Maybe, I've never read it. As far as core rules go you cannot. I'm sure a splatbook somewhere let's you do it though.

If you homebrewed it, a bow would not count as a two-handed weapon because the bow is not disarming. The arrow which is tiny I believe is. What is that? -12 altogether?

cupkeyk
2007-11-15, 06:00 PM
Since the Ranged Disarm from CW needs the taker to select a "weapon that you are proficient with" when taking the feat, one chooses longbow, not arrow. Ergo it follows the longbows size, not the arrow's.

Jack Zander
2007-11-15, 06:02 PM
Since the Ranged Disarm from CW needs the taker to select a "weapon that you are proficient with" when taking the feat, one chooses longbow, not arrow. Ergo it follows the longbows size, not the arrow's.

Eh? That's still contradictory to what is actually happening. you fired the arrow with the bow yes. You are proficient with disarming while firing a bow, yes. The bow is not actually disarming the subject though.

Ponce
2007-11-15, 06:08 PM
Eh? That's still contradictory to what is actually happening. you fired the arrow with the bow yes. You are proficient with disarming while firing a bow, yes. The bow is not actually disarming the subject though.

You make your opposed attack roll with the bow, not the arrow. That is all that matters.

Jack Zander
2007-11-15, 06:11 PM
Smells like cheese to me but those're the rules I guess.

Ponce
2007-11-15, 06:31 PM
Smells like cheese to me but those're the rules I guess.

Its really not a powerful feat or ability to have. Its certainly not game-breaking.

F.L.
2007-11-15, 06:36 PM
If you consider the tremendous amount of stored energy that is released from the bow into the arrow that's hitting to make a disarm, it's not that unreasonable to allow ranged disarms. After all, I wouldn't want to hold something that had just been shot with a gun, after all (though ranged removal-of-arms is usually more effective than a ranged disarm with a gun).

Jack Zander
2007-11-15, 06:39 PM
Definitely plausible, but when you try to justify the bow being a two handed weapon to count towards the effect it begins to smell of Limburger. Okay, maybe not that stinky but you get it.

Ponce
2007-11-15, 07:01 PM
Definitely plausible, but when you try to justify the bow being a two handed weapon to count towards the effect it begins to smell of Limburger. Okay, maybe not that stinky but you get it.

I get what you're saying, but its still a two handed weapon. Drawing a longbow isn't easy, and the power of both your arms is being stored many times over in the string.

Nebo_
2007-11-15, 07:11 PM
It's an ability of the Exotic Weapon Master, btw. Not a feat.

cupkeyk
2007-11-15, 07:12 PM

What are you talking about?

Ponce
2007-11-15, 07:17 PM

It is both. I don't recall which is better.

Nebo_
2007-11-15, 07:20 PM
What are you talking about?
The topic of the thread, obviously.

Overlard
2007-11-15, 07:22 PM
Flip forward 73 pages from Exotic Weapon Master, and you'll find a feat called ranged disarm.

What this is very useful for is disarming casters of their spell component pouches/holy symbols. If they've got a spare, then do the same next round. It gets annoying, and gives your teammates more time to really ruin the caster's day.

cupkeyk
2007-11-15, 07:23 PM
Page 103 of Complete Warrior. It's a feat.

edit: NINJA!

Nowhere Girl
2007-11-15, 08:31 PM
It's both a feat and a class ability of the exotic weapon master.

Of additional note is the fact that the feat limits it to 30 feet, while the exotic weapon master ability, per strict RAW, does not. That means that, unless the DM houserules differently, you could theoretically use a repeating crossbow to disarm someone from obnoxious distances.

Still not particularly powerful, though, when compared with ... almost anything that's powerful in D&D. :smalltongue:

Person_Man
2007-11-15, 08:55 PM
Ranged Disarm is a feat from Complete Warrior.

You choose one ranged weapon. You can make a disarm attempt with this weapon as long as your target is within 30 feet. Ranged weapons do not have "handedness" and the feat does not specify any modifiers. So you just make a normal opposed attack roll.

Also, its a cruddy feat. I prefer Ranged Pin, because it requires your enemy to waste a Standard Action in order to escape being grappled. Or even Ranged Sunder, which can be used with blunt arrows (Complete Adventurer) made of adamantine (ignore hardness) and can target weapons or items or spell pouches.

Prometheus
2007-11-15, 09:50 PM
It makes for a nice homebrew magic item. I've got a crossbow that fires with such impact that it attempts disarms when it sunders and bullrushes when it attacks. Kind of like the longbow on the scorpion king.

blue chicken
2007-11-15, 10:08 PM
...geez, ha. I figured people here would answer without any sort of quibbles...that's the way it usually goes.

So all questions of whether it is or is not a feat in the d20 system (which it is, as has been said) AND whether it sucks or not aside...the bow just counts as a one-handed weapon? I don't know what I think about that. It makes sense to me either way.

Ranged Pin is neat, but not what we in my home gaming group are looking for at the moment. We realize that sundering is far more useful than disarming, but still, it's a neat gimmick, and you never known when it can come in handy.

Any other random archery feats that you all feel are neater/better? Other than the basics, of course.

Grynning
2007-11-16, 07:12 AM
One advantage of disarming over sundering: Doesn't break the +2 Souldrinking sword of Whatever that your opponent is holding. Sundering gets kind of expensive by smashing all those goodies.
The master thrower definitely offers some neat stuff, ranged trip being one. I'd allow someone to modify this into a "Master Archer" class and use it with a bow, it'd be a cool trick-shooter build and archery is seriously lacking as a combat style in 3.x anyways.