PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Bloodborne's Trick Weapons

Catullus64
2021-08-25, 01:57 PM
This is my attempt to make D&D item versions of the Trick Weapons of FromSoftware's Bloodborne. For those not familiar with the game, Trick Weapons are mechnanically sophisticated melee weapons that can be quickly transformed between one of two different forms. The two forms of a weapon generally have their own distinct advantages and disadvantages, trading between reach, speed, damage, moveset, or special attacks. They also can be transformed mid-attack, often providing special moves.

Unless otherwise noted, all of these weapons have the following properties.

Trick Weapon: Once per turn, when you take the attack action with this weapon, you can transform it from one of its two configurations to the other. If the form you are transforming into has the Two-Handed Property, you must have a hand free.

Transforming Attack: When you transform the weapon into this configuration, the listed benefit applies to the next attack you make with it that turn.

If a has a special attack that requires a creature to make a saving throw, the save DC equals 8 + your Proficiency Bonus + your Strength or Dexterity modifier (whichever you used to make the attack).

Note that even though I use weapon names like Longsword or Maul in the description, these are their own unique weapon types, proficiency with which you can allot to characters as you please.

Threaded Cane
An elegant, sharp-edged metal cane. The shaft can be segmented into a flexible, serrated whip.

Sword Configuration
Damage: 1d6 Piercing
Properties: Light, Finesse
Transforming Attack: Backhand Thrust. This attack deals an additional 1d6 piercing damage on a hit.

Whip Configuration
Damage: 1d4 slashing
Properties: Reach, Finesse, Serrated
Serrated: A weapon with this property deals an additional weapon dice of damage when making an attack roll with advantage and both dice would result in a hit.Transforming Attack: Lashing Backstep. Before making this attack, you move 5 feet. Any opportunity attacks provoked by this movement have disadvantage. This does not count against your overall movement for this turn.

Hunter Axe
A sturdy, well-balanced battleaxe, the haft of which can extend to form a wide, sweeping halberd.

Axe Configuration
Damage: 1d8 Slashing
Transformation Attack: Overhead Smash. A creature hit by this attack must make a DC 10 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Halberd Configuration
Damage: 1d10 Slashing
Properties: Reach, Heavy, Two-Handed
Transformation Attack: Spinning Sweep. When you make this attack, all enemies other than the target within your reach take 3 slashing damage.

Saw Cleaver
A heavy sawblade whose handle can be snapped out for extra heft.

Saw Configuration
Damage: 1d6 Slashing
Properties: Serrated
Serrated: A weapon with this property deals an additional weapon dice of damage when making an attack roll with advantage and both dice would result in a hit.
Transforming Attack: Rip-and-Slash. A creature hit by this attack must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or suffer disadvantage on the next attack roll it makes.

Elongated Configuration
Properties: Heavy
Transforming Attack: Snap Cut. This attack has the Reach property.

Chikage
An elegant curved sword, that can feed upon its wielder's blood for great power.

"Clean" Configuration
Properties: Finesse
Transforming Attack: Cleanse Blade. If the attack hits, you gain temporary hit points equal to half your level.

"Bloody" Configuration
Properties: Two-Handed, Finesse, Bloodtinge
Bloodtinge: Your attacks with this weapon deal an additional 1d10 poison damage on a hit, but you suffer half the poison damage inflicted for each hit.
Transforming Attack: Bleeding Draw. This attack is made with advantage.

Blade of Mercy

A nimble blade of polished siderite, that can be swiftly split into two smaller blades.

Sword Configuration
Properties: Finesse, Siderite
Siderite: This weapon's attacks are magical. Half of the damage dealt by its attacks is force damage.
Transforming Attack: Overhead Strike. If it hits, this attack deals an additional 1d8 damage.

Dual Blades Configuration
Properties: Finesse, Light, Siderite.
Transforming Attack: Offhand Catch-and-Stab. You can attack once with each weapon as part of the same Transforming Attack.

Burial Blade

A curved siderite sword whose handle can be snapped into a longer shaft, forming a scythe.

Sword Configuration
Damage: 1d8 slashing
Properties: Finesse, Siderite
Transforming Attack: Whirling Slash. If the attack hits, one other creature within 5 feet of the target suffers 1d8 slashing damage.

Scythe Configuration
Properties: Reach, Finesse, Two-Handed
Transforming Attack: Hooking Strike. If the attack hits, you pull the target 5 feet closer to you.

Kirkhammer

A fine silver longsword, the blade of which can be inserted and locked into a large stone slab to form a mighty maul.

Sword Configuration
Properties: Silvered
Transforming Attack: Drawing Slash. This attack is made with advantage.

Maul Configuration
Damage: 2d6 Bludgeoning
Properties: Heavy, Two-Handed
Transforming Attack: Overhead Smash. A creature hit by this attack must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Ludwig's Holy Blade

A fine silver longsword that can be placed in a bladed sheath to form an even larger silver greatsword.

Sword Configuration
Properties: Silvered
Transforming Attack: Drawing Slash. This attack is made with advantage.

Greatsword Configuration
Damage: 2d6 slashing
Properties: Silvered, Heavy, Two-Handed
Transforming Attack: Overhead Sweep. When you make this attack, all creatures other than the target within your reach take 3 slashing damage.

Reiterpallasch

This fine rapier has a firearm barrel along its blade, which can be discharged mid-strike. Does not have the Trick Weapon property, rather it is two weapons in one.

Damage: 1d8 piercing (melee) or 1d10 piercing (Ranged)
Properties (Melee): Finesse
Properties (Ranged): Loading, Ammunition, Ranged (30/120 feet)
Thrusting Shot: Once per turn, when you hit a creature with a melee attack with this weapon, you can make a ranged attack for free against that same target with the weapon.

Rifle Spear

A mid-length polearm with a broad-bladed head, and a rifle barrel running along the shaft. Does not have the Trick Weapon property, rather it is two weapons in one.

Damage: 1d6 piercing (melee), or 1d12 piercing (Ranged)
Properties (Melee): Versatile (1d8)
Properties (Ranged): Loading, Ammunition, Ranged (60/240 feet), Two-Handed
Thrusting Shot: Once per turn, when you hit a creature with a melee attack with this weapon, you can make a ranged attack for free against that same target with the weapon.

Stake Driver

A large gauntlet with a spring-loaded metal stake attached to the forearm.

Unloaded Configuration
Properties: Protective, Heavy
Protective: The heavy gauntlet provides a +1 bonus to AC.
Transforming Attack: Launch Stake. If the attack hits, it deals an additional 2d8 piercing damage, and the target must succeed on a DC 10 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Loaded Configuration
Damage: 1d8 Bludgeoning
Properties: Protective, Heavy
Protective: The heavy gauntlet provides a +1 bonus to AC.
This configuration has no transforming attack, other than to load the stake for another tranforming attack.

Tonitrus

A mace with a spherical, hollow iron head. It can be charged up with potent electrical energy.

Low Charge Configuration
Damage: 1d6 bludgeoning
Transforming Attack: Discharge. Before making the attack, all creatures within 5 feet of you must make a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw, taking 3d6 lightning damage on a failed save or half as much on a success.

High Charge Configuration
Damage: 1d6 Bludgeoning
High Charge: This weapon's attacks deal an additional 1d6 lightning damage.
Transforming Attack: Gather Charge. If this attack hits, it deals an additional 1d6 lightning damage.

Logarius' Wheel

A heavy spoked and iron-shod wagon wheel, fitted with handles for use as a weapon. Does not have the Trick Weapon property.

Damage: 1d12 bludgeonong
Properties: Two-Handed, Heavy, Sacrificial Strikes
Sacrificial Strikes: At the start of your turn, you may choose to suffer necrotic damage equal to your level. If you do so, all of your attacks with the wheel that turn have advantage.

Amechra
2021-08-25, 10:41 PM
Oh sweet! If I was going to use these weapons (which feel pretty good as translations of the ones in the game), I'd definitely let some of the stuff scale. Maybe a "trick weapon user" feat that let that DC 10 saving throw that some of the weapons call for scale to be more level-appropriate?

Catullus64
2021-08-27, 12:00 AM
Oh sweet! If I was going to use these weapons (which feel pretty good as translations of the ones in the game), I'd definitely let some of the stuff scale. Maybe a "trick weapon user" feat that let that DC 10 saving throw that some of the weapons call for scale to be more level-appropriate?

Maybe. I wanted the fixed low DC to be a balancing factor against the fact that Tranformation attacks can be done frequently at very little cost. But if you could suggest a way of scaling them up slowly, it's not a bad idea at all.

Nuptup
2021-08-27, 11:11 PM
But if you could suggest a way of scaling them up slowly, it's not a bad idea at all.

Not the original suggestor, but I think that, just as a baseline, all of these weapons are a bit more powerful than RAW weapons, but that's OK because it would be implied that these are the ONLY weapons available to someone in a setting-appropriate game. So, I'll let that pass, but I do really like the idea behind a feat that could allow for the appropriate DC's for each weapon to increase by your proficiency bonus. That and a +1 to Str or Dex would be fine I think.

Also, just as an idea, a lot of these have effects that just deal auto-damage (Ludwig's for example) and I feel like that damage should at least be tied to the triggering attack dealing damage, not just making the attack.

Edit: I'm actually going to go through each weapon more closely, I see a few others that seem way better than the others.

I went through them and (ignoring the tranformative attacks because that's more effort than i want to give right now) I am going to suggest the following base-line changes to make them a bit more balanced.

Threaded Cane: Serrated Property could maybe only activate on attacks that have advantage and the second dice would also hit (Similar to the Axe Specialization from UA).

Hunter Axe: 1-hand form should still have the Heavy trait since, well, it's the same weapon.

Saw Cleaver: I think this should be a 1d6 with Serrated i mentioned above and the elongated form should definitely do less damage. A 1-handed 1d12 is WAY too good. The only thing that is close is the kirkhammer and you still get a shield. I would make the elongated 2d4 Brutal 1 (Brutal means reroll 1's)

Chikage: This one is good.

Blade of Mercy: This one is pretty good actually, no issues.

Burial Blade: again, this one is good.

Kirkhammer: Pretty basic. It's just a longsword into a maul, so no issue. Same as the axe though, 1-hander form should have the heavy trait.

Ludwig's: same as kirkhammer (I'll give some notes on transforming attacks below.)

Reiterpallasch: Fine statistically, see change for transforming stuff later for Thrusting shot since it applies to a few.

Rifle Spear: I would make the melee 1d8 reach when versatile and reduce the gun portion to match the Reiterpallasch at 1d10 30/120.

Stake Driver: First, your names on this one i think are backwards. Shouldn't launch stake be the attack on the Loaded, and make one called "Loading bash" for the Unloaded? However, again, same as the cleaver above, 1d10 for a 1-hander is too much, especially with the added +1 AC. I would drop the loaded to 1d6 +1 AC and make the unloaded 1d8 +1 AC which is still good, but not as busted.

Tonitrus: (Note: Maybe I misread the naming scheme, because this one also seems backwards, but I don't know. I feel discharge should be on the high-charge config.) I would make the Low charge deal 1d8 bludgeoning, and make the high charge also do 1d8, but change the High Charge trait to be a lightning version of your Siderite trait.

Logarius' Wheel: Math is fine, but I think maybe make Sacrificial Strikes be Proficiancy Bonus damage and make it per attack, not per turn. So, if you want 3 attacks at advantage, take 3x prof mod.

Here's the Transform stuff.

Backhand Thrust and Lashing Backstep seem fine.

Overhead Smash: This is fine. Maybe make the feat I mentioned so this DC can raise up with your skill with the weapon.

Spinning Sweep: Make this only deal damage if you hit with the attack and make it deal 1 damage with the feat making it deal prof mod damage instead.

Rip and Slash: Seems fine, again make DC grow with prof for feat.

Snap Cut: I don't like this because it's an option you'll want to use and forget about or not need when you use the transform. I'd replace with something, not sure what.

Cleanse Blade: this is fine, maybe make it gain prof mod also with the feat.

Blood Tinge: just make this deal 3 necrotic damage to the target and you, increasing damage target takes with feat for prof mod.

Siderite: Sounds good, I like it.

Overhead Strike: rename Overhead smash so it's the same as the one above.

Offhand Catch and Stab: free extra attacks are always problematic, I would say something like "after transforming, the next bonus action attack made with this weapon has advantage."

Whirling Slash: I'd just replace this with Spinning Sweep as it serves the same flavor.

Hooking Strike: this is fine, but make it a save with the DC10 that benefits from Prof with the feat.

Drawing Slash: maybe a bit of an exploitable atytack, but being the simplest weapon I think it's fine.

Overhead Smash: See above.

Drawing Slash: See Above.

Overhead Sweep: Rename Smash and you're fine.

Thrusting Shot: Free attacks are bad. Make this either of these. Both will work.
Thrusting Shot: After dealing damage with this weapon with a melee attack while loaded, you can use a bonus action to fire the weapon, ignoring the disadvantage from firing in melee if you target the same creature.
or
Thrusting Shot: You fire the weapon as you thrust towards a creature. This requires the weapon to be loaded. You make one attack roll at disadvantage but combine the damage from the two seperate attacks.

Launch Stake: Remove prone, increase damage, scale DC with feat.

Add "Loading Bash" to Stake Driver.

Discharge: Lower damage from discharge to match sweeping strike above, scale with prof and DC.

Gather Charge: same as Siderite, but lightning.

Sacrificial Strike: See the weapon where I commented on this.

Overall, I really like this. Keep it up!

Catullus64
2021-08-28, 08:31 AM
Stake Driver: First, your names on this one i think are backwards. Shouldn't launch stake be the attack on the Loaded, and make one called "Loading bash" for the Unloaded? However, again, same as the cleaver above, 1d10 for a 1-hander is too much, especially with the added +1 AC. I would drop the loaded to 1d6 +1 AC and make the unloaded 1d8 +1 AC which is still good, but not as busted.

Tonitrus: (Note: Maybe I misread the naming scheme, because this one also seems backwards, but I don't know. I feel discharge should be on the high-charge config.) I would make the Low charge deal 1d8 bludgeoning, and make the high charge also do 1d8, but change the High Charge trait to be a lightning version of your Siderite trait.

Thanks for the detailed feedback.

I went back and forth a bit on these ones, and I'll admit they're far from elegant, but they do track to what's going on with the weapon. For the Stake Driver, since the Transformation from Loaded into Unloaded involves actually launching the stake mid-attack, it makes sense that the stake's extra damage and knockback are attached to the Unloaded Form. Likewise, since the Transformation from High to Low Charge on the Tonitrus involves the discharging burst, it makes sense for that to be attached to the Low Charge state.

Agree or disagree piecemeal with many of your other comments, will probably implement some of the damage tuning you suggested. Another thing I thought of is the ability to have these upgraded to being +1, +2, +3 and so forth, and to have those bonuses also apply to save DC and secondary effects. You also caught a few mistakes, so thanks.

They are definitely meant to be stronger than PHB weapons, the idea being that in a Bloodborne-themed game, every character would be using one.

Nuptup
2021-08-30, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the detailed feedback.

I went back and forth a bit on these ones, and I'll admit they're far from elegant, but they do track to what's going on with the weapon. For the Stake Driver, since the Transformation from Loaded into Unloaded involves actually launching the stake mid-attack, it makes sense that the stake's extra damage and knockback are attached to the Unloaded Form. Likewise, since the Transformation from High to Low Charge on the Tonitrus involves the discharging burst, it makes sense for that to be attached to the Low Charge state.

Yeah, I guess that kind of makes sense, but that more or less just leads me to consider just changing the name of the mechanics and formatting each weapon to match a similar template for ease of play, example as follows.

Weapon Template
Flavor Text

Form 1
Damage: xdx [Type]
Properties: [Try to match the PHB as close as possible]
Weapon Transformation: [Name of thing]: [Flavor Text]. [Mechanical Effect]. The weapon changes to [Form 2] before making this attack.

Form 2
Damage: xdx [Type]
Properties: [Try to match the PHB as close as possible]
Weapon Transformation: [Name of thing]: [Flavor Text]. [Mechanical Effect]. The weapon changes to [Form 1] before making this attack.

So, for example, the Kirkhammer weapon listing would be formatted as follows.

Kirkhammer
A fine silver longsword, the blade of which can be inserted and locked into a large stone slab to form a mighty maul.

Longsword Form
Damage: 1d8 Slashing (Treat as Silvered for overcoming Resistance)
Properties: Versatile (1d10)
[Weapon Transformation] Overhead Smash: You quickly sheath the blade and deliver a powerful overhead attack. A creature hit by this attack must succeed on a DC 10 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. The weapon changes to Maul form before making this attack.

Maul Form
[Weapon Transformation] Drawing Slash: You draw the blade from the weighted head with blinding speed to attack. This attack is made with advantage. The weapon changes to Longsword form before making this attack.

And you could format every weapon in a similar way so it's very easy to understand how it works. Here's Stake Driver.

Stake Driver

Bladed Gauntlet Form
Damage: 1d8 Slashing or Piercing
Properties: Heavy
[Weapon Transformation] Loading Bash: You bash the opponent, giving yourself an opening to load the Stake. The weapon changes to Loaded Gauntlet form before making this attack.

Loaded Gauntlet Form
Properties: Heavy, Protective (+1 AC)
[Weapon Transformation] Launch Stake: You strike to impale the enemy on the loaded stake. This attack deals damage as though it were a critical hit. The weapon changes to Bladed Gauntlet form before making this attack.

I thought of that solution for the effect midway through typing this. But, whatever effect you settle with, I think this method of formatting will work nicely. It should also handle the tonitrus as well as any of the single form weapons like the wheel and gunblades.

Agree or disagree piecemeal with many of your other comments, will probably implement some of the damage tuning you suggested. Another thing I thought of is the ability to have these upgraded to being +1, +2, +3 and so forth, and to have those bonuses also apply to save DC and secondary effects. You also caught a few mistakes, so thanks.

Could I get some feedback on the things you don't like? I'd like to continue contributing if possible and I really think it'd be fun to use this in a campaign soon, so I'd love an update on what you've settled on.

They are definitely meant to be stronger than PHB weapons, the idea being that in a Bloodborne-themed game, every character would be using one.

I figured this was true as I mentioned in my reply, so I wasn't trying too hard to keep them in-line with the PHB since the transformations alone make them so much better, but I at least wanted them kind of close to PHB, but more importantly I wanted them close to each other so that no singular option is oppressively better than others (stake driver or elongated cleaver for example). But anyhow, please let me know what you change, I'd love to keep contributing to a great project!

Amechra
2021-08-30, 11:18 PM
Looking back over this, I find those DC 10 saves to knock people prone to be really frustrating, since a lot of times just rolling that save is going to be a waste of everyone's time. I'm not entirely sure how you'd replace them, though, short of writing up a Soulsborne-style Poise subsystem for 5e.

If a creature takes more damage than (maximum of largest hit-die + their Constitution modifier) from a single attack, they get knocked prone? With Hunter Axe/Kirkhammer/Stake Driver treating that limit as 3 lower? So, for example, a weedy wizard might need to take 7+ damage to fall on their face, but the Hunter Axe's transforming attack would only have to deal 4 damage?

Nuptup
2021-08-31, 03:49 PM
Something like that could work, but you'd have to really fine tune that math to make sure it's solid. you could however just bring back dnd4e Non-AC Defenses for that idea and just say for the proning weapons that rely on strength that "If the damage this weapon deals during X attack is greater than or equal to 10+strmod+conmod of the target, the target falls prone. and for dex weapons that impose saves it'd be 10+dexmod+intmod. Or instead of conmod and intmod just replace those with prof, so 10+str/dex+prof. So, if the kirk hammer hits for 15 damage on a dire wolf, the wolf falls prone. Which, that's be max damage 2d6+3 str for a level 1, but then you add things like heavy weapon master and 2-hander fighting style and rage or a feat like we described above and it could just lower the required value by prof so if you took feat at 1, you'd need 13 on dire wolf which is much easier to hit with 2d6+3 (reroll 1 and 2 from fighting style or rage bonus or ranger bonus, etc) and for dex options you have ranger bonus, rogue, maybe combine offhand attacks with main hand for calculations. etc.

Catullus64
2021-08-31, 04:29 PM
Honestly, I would rather just implement scaling DCs with the wielder's Strength or Dexterity than try to implant whole new subsystems just to handle it. I went with the fixed DCs initially because transforming attacks are something you can do with very little limit, so that the frequency with which you can force those saves offsets how frequently most creatures are going to make them, but I think it's correct that it skews the balance towards weapons with saveless benefits. Again, it's ok for these weapons to be imbalanced relative to PHB weapons for the sake of being balanced with one another.

As Nuptup's comments have pointed out, some weapons have damage values that well exceed what is normal for a one-handed weapon by usual standards, and I think it's right that some (like the extended Saw Cleaver, or the double Blade of Mercy) may be a touch overtuned, and I may pare them back by a die size before use. It's made me think about handedness and how it works in D&D, though. In D&D (and Dark Souls) wielding a weapon one or two-handed is important primarily because of shields & spellcasting, two things Bloodborne (and any D&D riff thereof) has virtually none of. So I think that being one vs. two handed isn't as important a balancing factor in creating these weapons, at least until I decide to invent a version of Bloodborne's gun-parries. Ooh, speaking of which:

Augur of Ebrietas
1st Level Conjuration
Casting Time: 1 Reaction, which you take when a creature targets you with a melee attack.
Range: 10 feet
Components: S, M (Phantasm of a Great One)
Duration: 1 Round
You partially summon part of the arm of Abandoned Ebrietas to strike at your foe. Make a melee spell attack against the attacking creature. If you hit, the creature takes 1d8 force damage, and the triggering attack automatically misses. You then have advantage on the next attack roll you make against that creature before the end of your next turn.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d8 for every level above 1st.

My first playthrough was a Skill/Arcane build with Blades of Mercy (sorry, Eileen), and I loved spamming Augur.

Nuptup
2021-08-31, 04:53 PM
Augur of Ebrietas
1st Level Conjuration
Casting Time: 1 Reaction, which you take when a creature targets you with a melee attack.
Range: 10 feet
Components: S, M (Phantasm of a Great One)
Duration: 1 Round
You partially summon part of the arm of Abandoned Ebrietas to strike at your foe. Make a melee spell attack against the attacking creature. If you hit, the creature takes 1d8 force damage, and the triggering attack automatically misses. You then have advantage on the next attack roll you make against that creature before the end of your next turn.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d8 for every level above 1st.

I like the execution here, but if we're directly comparing it to a very similar spell, Hellish Rebuke, it seems a bit powerful.

Comparisons:
Augur requires melee attack made against you
Rebuke requires you to take damage
Augur is melee spell attack for 1d8
Rebuke is saving throw for 2d10 (Half on save)

Rebuke on failure deals 2d10 (11 damage)
Rebuke on success deals 1d10 (5.5 damage)

Augur on failure does nothing (Unless the advantage on next attack roll is a separate effect from the damage. As written it implies you get this advantage whether you hit or not, but I assume your intent was that it only works on a hit.
Augur on a success deals 1d8 (4.5 damage), instantly cancels their attack without giving their action back, and gives you advantage on your next attack.

Comparing 1 for 1, Rebuke requires that you take damage and deals at best, 2d10 damage. That's it. Augur doesn't require you to take damage, can eat your foe's action, deals 1d8 damage, and gives you advantage on your next attack. Augur is practically hellish rebuke, shield, and true strike all put into one spell.

To be clear, I love the idea, but it absolutely is too strong for a first level spell. It would be better as a 3rd level spell that deals 2d8 or as a 2nd level spell that deals no damage and only grants the chance to negate attack and grant advantage.

Nuptup
2021-08-31, 05:00 PM
As Nuptup's comments have pointed out, some weapons have damage values that well exceed what is normal for a one-handed weapon by usual standards, and I think it's right that some (like the extended Saw Cleaver, or the double Blade of Mercy) may be a touch overtuned, and I may pare them back by a die size before use. It's made me think about handedness and how it works in D&D, though. In D&D (and Dark Souls) wielding a weapon one or two-handed is important primarily because of shields & spellcasting, two things Bloodborne (and any D&D riff thereof) has virtually none of. So I think that being one vs. two handed isn't as important a balancing factor in creating these weapons, at least until I decide to invent a version of Bloodborne's gun-parries.

I guess this depends a lot on what other setting-defining rules you want to put on the game. If you're completely doing away with magic (which seems like you aren't based on Augur), then you may be right that hand-count matters less since no spell somatic components. But, the existence of shields being present shouldn't be something to throw away so eagerly. Shield combat is very prevalent, a lot of enemies use them, players can use them, and there are builds that rely upon them. So, just saying that all weapons should take a "weapon slot" for example and be balanced based upon taking the same slot regardless of hand requirements would make this swing very heavily into classes that naturally have no use for offhand stuff, like a barbarian just rage swinging, or a 2-handed ranger, or a champion fighter. Meanwhile the rogues, shield fighters, etc will all suffer. And, for dual wield weapons like the blades of mercy, will they still function like 2 separate weapons and benefit from appropriate feats and class features, or are all weapons considered a single weapon and instead of two 1d6 attacks, you deal a singular 2d6 attack?

There are a lot of issues that arise if you remove handedness from the game overall and I think you'll have a harder time ironing out those issues than you would balancing the weapons to fit inside the existing framework of the game.

Catullus64
2021-08-31, 05:07 PM
I like the execution here, but if we're directly comparing it to a very similar spell, Hellish Rebuke, it seems a bit powerful.

Comparisons:
Augur requires melee attack made against you
Rebuke requires you to take damage
Augur is melee spell attack for 1d8
Rebuke is saving throw for 2d10 (Half on save)

Rebuke on failure deals 2d10 (11 damage)
Rebuke on success deals 1d10 (5.5 damage)

Augur on failure does nothing (Unless the advantage on next attack roll is a separate effect from the damage. As written it implies you get this advantage whether you hit or not, but I assume your intent was that it only works on a hit.
Augur on a success deals 1d8 (4.5 damage), instantly cancels their attack without giving their action back, and gives you advantage on your next attack.

Comparing 1 for 1, Rebuke requires that you take damage and deals at best, 2d10 damage. That's it. Augur doesn't require you to take damage, can eat your foe's action, deals 1d8 damage, and gives you advantage on your next attack. Augur is practically hellish rebuke, shield, and true strike all put into one spell.

To be clear, I love the idea, but it absolutely is too strong for a first level spell. It would be better as a 3rd level spell that deals 2d8 or as a 2nd level spell that deals no damage and only grants the chance to negate attack and grant advantage.

Hmm. If you think that's OP, then maybe I ought to chew on parry mechanics for a bit longer, because I was thinking they'd be a lot like how the spell works. I thought the wording of "then" after the "If you hit" sentence made for a clear enough sequence, but it's easy enough to reword. I was primarily thinking of Shield as the point of comparison for this spell, which is why I guess I thought it was balanced.

Shield Pros:

Can wait until you know whether the attack hits or not
Provides its benefit against all subsequent attacks for a round.
Useful against melee and missiles alike

Shield Cons:

Deals no damage
Purely passive defense, does not affect enemy directly.
Enemy attack roll can still exceed boosted AC.

Augur Pros:

Deals damage
Grants active benefit in the form of advantage.
If it works, guarantees a miss regardless of AC or enemy roll

Augur Cons:

Only valid against melee, not missiles.
Chance to miss, granting no benefit
Only interrupts one attack, leaving you vulnerable against multi-attacks or other attackers.

Three pros and cons for each; I know you could choose to weigh each item very differently, but such was my thinking.

Nuptup
2021-08-31, 05:20 PM
Hmm. If you think that's OP, then maybe I ought to chew on parry mechanics for a bit longer, because I was thinking they'd be a lot like how the spell works. I thought the wording of "then" after the "If you hit" sentence made for a clear enough sequence, but it's easy enough to reword. I was primarily thinking of Shield as the point of comparison for this spell, which is why I guess I thought it was balanced.

Shield Pros:

Can wait until you know whether the attack hits or not
Provides its benefit against all subsequent attacks for a round.
Useful against melee and missiles alike

Shield Cons:

Deals no damage
Purely passive defense, does not affect enemy directly.
Enemy attack roll can still exceed boosted AC.

Augur Pros:

Deals damage
Grants active benefit in the form of advantage.
If it works, guarantees a miss regardless of AC or enemy roll

Augur Cons:

Only valid against melee, not missiles.
Chance to miss, granting no benefit
Only interrupts one attack, leaving you vulnerable against multi-attacks or other attackers.

Three pros and cons for each; I know you could choose to weigh each item very differently, but such was my thinking.

I can see your line of thinking, but even then you don't have 3 pro's and con's for each when the third con for shield should NEVER be an actual con due to your first pro for shield since you know what they rolled versus you, and you then know what you need to get from shield to deter the attack.

In bloodborn, about 80% of the enemies are melee, so while yes, augur's first con does exist, it's incredibly minimal.

However, if you were to make a new system for parry that ALL PLAYERS gain access to, then I would say that you focus on that system first, and then treat augur as an amplification of that system. So, example:

Parry: Use your reaction to attempt to parry an enemy attack and leave them open for a counter attack. As a reaction you can roll an opposed melee attack roll when an enemy in melee attempts to attack you. If you roll higher than their roll, their attack fails and the next attack made against them has advantage.

Augur: 1st level spell, reaction: When you would take the Parry reaction, you can instead take the Augur action, replacing your melee attack roll with a melee spell attack roll. On a success, in addition to the normal effects of the Parry reaction, you also deal 2d10 force damage to the target.

Or

Augur: 1st level spell, reaction: When you successfully use the Parry reaction, in addition to the normal effects of the Parry reaction, you deal 2d6 force damage to the target.

This is mostly the same, but it's just, do you want it to be like rebuke where it's auto damage when an event happens, or do you want it to be a override for the parry action which would make it more powerful? Just an idea, but that's what I first thought of anyway. What do you think?

Catullus64
2021-08-31, 05:47 PM
I can see your line of thinking, but even then you don't have 3 pro's and con's for each when the third con for shield should NEVER be an actual con due to your first pro for shield since you know what they rolled versus you, and you then know what you need to get from shield to deter the attack.

This is mostly the same, but it's just, do you want it to be like rebuke where it's auto damage when an event happens, or do you want it to be a override for the parry action which would make it more powerful? Just an idea, but that's what I first thought of anyway. What do you think?

On the first point, I don't think the two are actually mutually exclusive; at least at the table's I've known, the exact attack roll that hit you is generally not common knowledge, so using a Shield is a (typically pretty good)) calculated gamble.

My intent was for Augur to essentially be a version of a standardized parry system, albeit one that gets extra fancy bells and whistles because you have to spend a spell slot on it, as well as subject your body to eldritch madness. I don't have a particular game that I'm gearing up to use all this stuff for, but if I did I would probably want to make a setting-specific caster class, which would probably be a Paladin/Ranger-eque half-caster. I'll probably take a little while before posting a proposed parry system and corresponding gun statistics, especially since I've got a busy few days up ahead at work.

Incidentally, we have very different opinions about the merits of shields in Bloodborne. I think I used a shield once, to deal with that infuriating hunter in the Grand Cathedral with his unlimited-ammo repeater pistol. The standard enemies with shields are almost comically ineffective. Maybe the shield they added with the DLC was more useful, I don't know because I never played it. (Consider that an invitation for anyone who wants to try to capture the DLC weapons.)

Nuptup
2021-08-31, 06:20 PM
On the first point, I don't think the two are actually mutually exclusive; at least at the table's I've known, the exact attack roll that hit you is generally not common knowledge, so using a Shield is a (typically pretty good)) calculated gamble.

That's a VERY fair point. I am accustomed to the house rule(s) my table uses that we pretty much are 100% transparent about rolls and dc's and such, so for us, we know exactly what is needed and whether or not something will work, because there's no feeling worse than casting shield and still getting hit. And, it's really fun to know "you need a 4 or better on bardic inspiration to hit" which gives a nice suspense to the roll itself instead of to the mystery of the value. So, I will concede your point there!

My intent was for Augur to essentially be a version of a standardized parry system, albeit one that gets extra fancy bells and whistles because you have to spend a spell slot on it, as well as subject your body to eldritch madness.

That's pretty much what I was assuming, which is why i designed the parry system i suggested to include most of the augur mechanics in the parry itself, then just tying the damage to augur while the parry handles the resistance factor (and the advantage on next attack).

I don't have a particular game that I'm gearing up to use all this stuff for, but if I did I would probably want to make a setting-specific caster class, which would probably be a Paladin/Ranger-eque half-caster. I'll probably take a little while before posting a proposed parry system and corresponding gun statistics, especially since I've got a busy few days up ahead at work.

I would think that it would be much easier to use the warlock class actually since, pretty much every encounter in bloodborn is an encounter you can short-rest after, which will allow arcane builds to have the same throughput as non-arcane. Just remix a bit of warlock stuff, convert invocations into your passive corruption benefits, you have the same spell slot progression as normal warlocks, and then you can have a special patron that works for your needs. This allows you to have your arcane while still having basic weapon and armor capabilities, much like a bloodborn character would. Or, just lean completely into hexblade as that's honestly a great analog for bloodborn, or just make a "The Hunt" patron and a "Bloodtinge" Pact. I dunno, just an idea. I think warlock works well with very few modifications except refluffing.

Incidentally, we have very different opinions about the merits of shields in Bloodborne. I think I used a shield once, to deal with that infuriating hunter in the Grand Cathedral with his unlimited-ammo repeater pistol. The standard enemies with shields are almost comically ineffective. Maybe the shield they added with the DLC was more useful, I don't know because I never played it. (Consider that an invitation for anyone who wants to try to capture the DLC weapons.)

I would like to clarify that, I also don't think the shield is worth using in bloodborn, but more I was saying that, since it is an option, it should remain as an option, and since 5e expects it to be an option, you shouldn't outright remove it unless you do in-fact want to completely rework how ALL weapons work since "number of hands" is no longer a factor. you'd need to make every action that normally requires a free hand to instead not require that since, that's part of the balance of 1-handed weapons. So, now a 2-handed weapon user can hold a torch (similar to belt lantern), cast spells (warlock pact weapon or eldritch knight), or climb while swinging their weapon (no clue how to explain this one), etc.

On a previous topic for a moment though: Did you have any hard objections to my previous idea for reworking the formatting of weapon entries and proposed balance changes? If not, I will gladly retype them all into a singular post to make it more easily digestible and organized for new readers. I have a LOT of free time and will gladly do grunt work to help out :D

Catullus64
2021-08-31, 06:34 PM
On a previous topic for a moment though: Did you have any hard objections to my previous idea for reworking the formatting of weapon entries and proposed balance changes? If not, I will gladly retype them all into a singular post to make it more easily digestible and organized for new readers. I have a LOT of free time and will gladly do grunt work to help out :D

I didn't disagree with your reformatting, per se, most of it had to do with rather subjective comparative balance, so I didn't feel the need to edit the older version even where I agreed. I am fine if you want to make a post that condenses the weapons with your changes for a new reader; anyone who cares can look back through the older version and decide for themself which setup they like better. The initial formatting had a lot less to do with all-purpose game balance than it did with my own idiosyncrasies as a DM and what I thought would play and read smoothest at my own tables.

The one place where I feel your versions are categorically superior is in your version of the hybrid melee/firearm weapons, the Reiterpallasch and the Rifle Spear. Much more elegantly written than what I have.

One thing I forgot to mention is that your formatting of transformation rules doesn't seem to impose a transforming attack per turn limit, which was what I assumed when balancing the weapons.

Nuptup
2021-08-31, 06:47 PM
I didn't disagree with your reformatting, per se, most of it had to do with rather subjective comparative balance, so I didn't feel the need to edit the older version even where I agreed. I am fine if you want to make a post that condenses the weapons with your changes for a new reader; anyone who cares can look back through the older version and decide for themself which setup they like better. The initial formatting had a lot less to do with all-purpose game balance than it did with my own idiosyncrasies as a DM and what I thought would play and read smoothest at my own tables.

The one place where I feel your versions are categorically superior is in your version of the hybrid melee/firearm weapons, the Reiterpallasch and the Rifle Spear. Much more elegantly written than what I have.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I'll probably go through and write it up then because I've got plenty of time and I figure "Why Not?". Also, thanks for the praise on the gunblades, I felt that was a clever way to approach them. Which variation do you prefer for them so I can make it according to that? Do you want the "Activate before attack and hit with both at the same time, combining damage for overcoming resistances but attacking at disadvantage." or the "After hitting with first, you can attack with second with advantage but don't combine damage value for resistances."

One thing I forgot to mention is that your formatting of transformation rules doesn't seem to impose a transforming attack per turn limit, which was what I assumed when balancing the weapons.

I was not really under the assumption that you wanted that as a rule, I may have missed it in my original read-through. If that's the case I apologize. But, I was under the impression you could freely transform at will without needing to wait a turn between them (much like saw cleaver's highest dps combo is literally just transformation attack over and over) bute if that's something you had in mind, I will absolutely specify that. Just let me know! :D Anything else before I get down to it?

Oh also, what did you think about that parry system suggestion I sent at the end of the augur conversation? I figure it's simple enough and should work fine. Won't be a cumbersome subsystem and would just be a new reaction all players gain access to. It will sadly devalue some of the existing reactions in the game, like sentinel and the fighting styles, but those could be remade to fit within the parry reaction (much like how augur would augment it).

Catullus64
2021-08-31, 06:55 PM
I was not really under the assumption that you wanted that as a rule, I may have missed it in my original read-through. If that's the case I apologize. But, I was under the impression you could freely transform at will without needing to wait a turn between them (much like saw cleaver's highest dps combo is literally just transformation attack over and over) bute if that's something you had in mind, I will absolutely specify that. Just let me know! :D Anything else before I get down to it?

Oh also, what did you think about that parry system suggestion I sent at the end of the augur conversation? I figure it's simple enough and should work fine. Won't be a cumbersome subsystem and would just be a new reaction all players gain access to. It will sadly devalue some of the existing reactions in the game, like sentinel and the fighting styles, but those could be remade to fit within the parry reaction (much like how augur would augment it).

I guess the one-per turn rule is easy to miss, but it's in the Trick Weapon property. If you missed that, I can now see why you thought some of the weapon properties and attacks were overpowered. Like I said, I'll probably chew on parrying for a day or two before commenting or venturing my own system.

Nuptup
2021-08-31, 06:58 PM
I guess the one-per turn rule is easy to miss, but it's in the Trick Weapon property. If you missed that, I can now see why you thought some of the weapon properties and attacks were overpowered. Like I said, I'll probably chew on parrying for a day or two before commenting or venturing my own system.

I mean, i'll be entirely transparent, I don't think I actually READ the property itself, I was more focused on the weapons as that's the juicy math bits I love to work on. :D So, I will take full fault for that, sorry. So, I'll add it into my re-writeup and post it here when each weapon is done with the defined stats and such. Did you want to figure out a different idea for the saving throws, or do you want to just make them automatically scale with str/dex+prof, or do you want them to get Str/Dex auto, but you need a trick weapon spec feat to get the prof bonus?

Catullus64
2021-08-31, 07:13 PM
Did you want to figure out a different idea for the saving throws, or do you want to just make them automatically scale with str/dex+prof, or do you want them to get Str/Dex auto, but you need a trick weapon spec feat to get the prof bonus?

The former one.

Nuptup
2021-08-31, 08:10 PM
The former one.

Alrighty, will do!

Nuptup
2021-08-31, 08:22 PM
Oh, something else I meant to ask, this should have the least impact on balance since, for the most part it's a difference of 1 to 3 damage on average, but do you have any plans to care about simple versus martial weapon proficiency? Like, the Tonitrus is obviously just a mace, which is simple, while the Kirkhammer is 2 different martial weapons. but then you get stuff like the Stake driver where it's technically just a gauntlet, but it's ACTUALLY a lot more than that. So, are you planning to just hand-wave that and give everyone full proficiency with all trick weapons?

Catullus64
2021-08-31, 10:49 PM
So, are you planning to just hand-wave that and give everyone full proficiency with all trick weapons?

That was pretty much the plan.

Nuptup
2021-08-31, 11:18 PM
That was pretty much the plan.

Makes sense to me, weapon list coming in about 45 seconds!

Nuptup
2021-08-31, 11:23 PM
This is a revised list of the above weapons sharing a format that will hopefully allow for ease of use. I encourage everyone to read through the prior conversations as Catullus64 put a lot of work into this and their vision should be maintained first and foremost. I am simply trying to format these in an aesthetically pleasing way with considerations made for the changes discussed along the way. Anyway, here’s a rehash of the various properties and abilities and what they do, then the list of weapons.

Properties:

Bloodtinge:
A weapon with this property deals an extra weapon dice of damage to the target. You take half of this damage which can’t be resisted in any way.

Charged:
A weapon with this property counts as dealing lightning damage for calculations involving resistance and weakness.

Serrated:
A weapon with this property deals an additional weapon dice of damage when making an attack roll with advantage and both dice would result in a hit.

Siderite:
A weapon with this property counts as dealing force damage for calculations involving resistance and weakness.

Trick Weapon:
A weapon with this trait can be changed from its default form into its secondary form as an action on your turn. The default form is always the one listed first in the weapon entry. If the form you are transferring into has the Two-Handed Property, you must have a hand free. If the form has the versatile trait you can choose to use it with two hands if you meet the requirements to do so.

Saving Throws:
If a weapon calls for a creature to make a saving throw, the DC is equal to 8 + Proficiency Bonus + Your Strength Modifier or Your Dexterity Modifier if using a Finesse weapon.

Unique Effects:
Some weapons lack the ability to change Forms like Trick Weapons and instead have Unique Effects that alter how they can be used. Refer to the weapon’s [Unique Effect] entry for further details.

Weapon Transformations:
Most of the listed weapons have a [Weapon Transformation] entry. Each time you take the Attack Action on your turn, you can activate this special ability to change your weapon’s Form in the middle of one of your attacks made as part of that action, often granting additional special effects for the triggering attack.

Blade of Mercy
A nimble blade of polished siderite that can be swiftly split into two smaller blades.

Combined Form
Properties: Finesse, Siderite, Trick Weapon
[Weapon Transformation] Slice and Dice: You leave your opponent open for further punishment. The weapon changes to Paired Form before making this attack. If this attack deals damage, the next attack you make this turn with your bonus action has advantage.

Paired Form
Damage: 1d6 Piercing or Slashing
Properties: Finesse, Light, Siderite, Trick Weapon
[Weapon Transformation] Perfect Strike: You line up a perfect attack, capitalizing on the distraction of your weapon transforming to strike true. The weapon changes to Combined Form before making this attack. If it hits, this attack deals an additional 1d8 damage.

Burial Blade
A curved siderite sword whose handle can be snapped into a longer shaft, forming a scythe.

Sword Form
Properties: Finesse, Siderite, Trick Weapon
[Weapon Transformation] Whirling Slash: You flourish your sword, making the handle much longer in the process and striking at nearby foes. The weapon changes to Scythe Form before making this attack. If the attack hits, one other creature within 5 feet of the target and within your reach suffers 1d8 slashing damage.

Scythe Form
Damage: 1d6
Properties: Finesse, Reach, Siderite, Trick Weapon, Two-Handed
[Weapon Transformation] Hooking Strike: You use the reach of your scythe to draw your target close before snapping the handle back to its normal length. If the attack hits, you pull the target 5 feet closer to you. The weapon changes to Sword Form after making this attack.

Chikage
An elegant curved sword that can feed upon its wielder's blood for great power.

Pure Form
Properties: Finesse, Trick Weapon
[Weapon Transformation] Bleeding Draw: You slash across your fingers as you draw the Chikage, tainting it’s blade to strike at your enemies. The weapon changes to Tainted Form before making this attack. This attack is made with advantage.

Tainted Form
Properties: Bloodtinge, Finesse, Trick Weapon, Two-Handed
[Weapon Transformation] Cleanse Blade: You strike at your foes before casting away the tainted essence left on the blade. If the attack hits, you gain temporary hit points equal to half your level. The weapon changes to Pure Form after making this attack.

Hunter Axe
A sturdy, well-balanced battleaxe, the haft of which can extend to form a wide, sweeping halberd.

Battleaxe Form
Properties: Heavy, Trick Weapon
[Weapon Transformation] Spinning Sweep: You sweep your battle axe over your head before extending the handle and cleaving through those around you. The weapon changes to Halberd Form before making this attack. If the attack hits, all creatures other than the target within your reach take slashing damage equal to your Strength Modifier.

Halberd Form
Properties: Heavy, Reach, Trick Weapon, Two-Handed
[Weapon Transformation] Overhead Chop: You collapse the weapon into its battleaxe form and make a devastating overhead chop. A creature hit by this attack must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. The weapon changes to Battleaxe Form before making this attack.

Kirkhammer

Longsword Form
Properties: Heavy, Trick Weapon, Versatile (1d10)
[Weapon Transformation] Crushing Strike: You quickly sheath the blade and deliver a powerful overhead attack with the weighted hammer head. The weapon changes to Maul form before making this attack. A creature hit by this attack must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Maul Form
Properties: Heavy, Trick Weapon, Two-Handed
[Weapon Transformation] Drawing Slash: You draw the blade from the weighted head with blinding speed to attack. The weapon changes to Longsword form before making this attack. This attack is made with advantage.

Logarius’ Wheel
A heavy spoked and iron-shod wagon wheel, fitted with handles for use as a weapon.

Damage: 1d12 Bludgeoning
[Unique Effect] Sacrificial Strikes: When you would make an attack using this weapon, you may choose to take necrotic damage equal to your proficiency bonus which can’t be resisted in any way. If you do so, your attack is made with advantage.

Ludwig’s Holy Blade
A fine silver longsword that can be placed in a bladed sheath to form an even larger silver greatsword.

Longsword Form
Properties: Heavy, Trick Weapon, Versatile (1d10)
[Weapon Transformation] Brutal Cut: You quickly sheath the blade and deliver a powerful overhead attack. The weapon changes to Greatsword form before making this attack. A creature hit by this attack must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Greatsword Form
Damage: 2d6 Slashing (Treat as Silvered for overcoming Resistance)
Properties: Heavy, Trick Weapon, Two-Handed
[Weapon Transformation] Drawing Slash: You draw the blade from the bladed scabbard with blinding speed to attack. The weapon changes to Longsword form before making this attack. This attack is made with advantage.

Reiterpallasch
This fine rapier has a firearm barrel along its blade, which can be discharged mid-strike.

Melee Damage: 1d8 Piercing
Properties: Finesse

Ranged Damage: 1d8 Piercing
Properties: Ammunition, Loading, Ranged (30/120 Feet)

[Unique Effect] Gunblade: You gain the following effects while wielding this weapon.
*When you make an attack with this weapon, you choose whether it is a melee or ranged attack each time.
*Being within 5 feet of a hostile creature doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged attack rolls with this weapon.
*Once per turn, you may fire the weapon as you thrust towards a creature. This requires the weapon to be loaded. Make one ranged and one melee attack against a valid target within range. You make one attack roll and use it for both attacks, adding applicable bonus as normal. If both attacks hit the target, combine the damage from the two separate attacks before calculating resistance.

Rifle Spear
A mid-length polearm with a broad-bladed head, and a rifle barrel running along the shaft. Does not have the Trick Weapon property, rather it is two weapons in one.

Melee Damage: 1d8 Piercing
Properties: Reach, Two-Handed

Ranged Damage: 1d10 Piercing
Properties: Ammunition, Loading, Ranged (30/120 Feet), Two-Handed

[Unique Effect] Gunblade: You gain the following effects while wielding this weapon.
*When you make an attack with this weapon, you choose whether it is a melee or ranged attack each time.
*Being within 5 feet of a hostile creature doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged attack rolls with this weapon.
* Once per turn, you may fire the weapon as you thrust towards a creature. This requires the weapon to be loaded. Make one ranged and one melee attack against a valid target within range. You make one attack roll and use it for both attacks, adding applicable bonus as normal. If both attacks hit the target, combine the damage from the two separate attacks before calculating resistance.

Saw Cleaver

Saw Form
Properties: Serrated, Trick Weapon
[Weapon Transformation] Snap Cut: You catch you opponent by surprise with the extended reach of your weapon. The weapon changes to Cleaver Form before making this attack. This attack is made with advantage.

Cleaver Form
Properties: Reach, Trick Weapon
[Weapon Transformation] Rip-and-Slash: You viciously cut your foe, leaving them disoriented. The weapon changes to Saw Form before making this attack. A creature hit by this attack must make a Constitution saving throw or suffer disadvantage on the next attack roll it makes.

Saw Spear

Saw Form
Properties: Finesse, Serrated, Trick Weapon
[Weapon Transformation] Snap Cut: You catch you opponent by surprise with the extended reach of your weapon. The weapon changes to Cleaver Form before making this attack. This attack is made with advantage.

Spear Form
Properties: Finesse, Reach, Trick Weapon
[Weapon Transformation] Rip-and-Slash: You viciously cut your foe, leaving them disoriented. The weapon changes to Saw Form before making this attack. A creature hit by this attack must make a Constitution saving throw or suffer disadvantage on the next attack roll it makes.

Stake Driver

Bladed Gauntlet Form
Damage: 1d8 Piercing or Slashing
Properties: Heavy, Protective (+1 AC), Trick Weapon
[Weapon Transformation] Loading Bash: You bash the opponent, giving yourself an opening to load the Stake. The weapon changes to Loaded Gauntlet form before making this attack.

Loaded Gauntlet Form
Properties: Heavy, Protective (+1 AC), Trick Weapon
[Weapon Transformation] Launch Stake: You strike to impale the enemy on the loaded stake. The weapon changes to Bladed Gauntlet form before making this attack. This attack deals 2d8 extra damage.

Tonitrus
A mace with a spherical, hollow iron head. It can be charged up with potent electrical energy.

Low Charge Form
Properties: Trick Weapon
[Weapon Transformation] Gather Charge: You build up energy inside the weapon before bashing a foe with it. The weapon changes to High Charge Form before making this attack.

High Charge Form
Properties: Charged, Trick Weapon
[Weapon Transformation] Discharge: You bring the Tonitrus down on the target, discharging the stored energy to shock your surroundings. The weapon changes to Low Charge Form before making this attack. All creatures within 5 feet of your target excluding yourself must make a Dexterity saving throw, taking 1d8 lightning damage on a failed save or half as much on a success.

Threaded Cane
An elegant, sharp-edged metal cane. The shaft can be segmented into a flexible, serrated whip.

Cane Form
Properties: Finesse, Light, Trick Weapon
[Weapon Transformation] Lashing Backstep: The weapon changes to Whip Form and you may move 5 feet before making the attack. This does not count against your overall movement for this turn and any opportunity attacks provoked by this movement have disadvantage.

Whip Form
Damage: 1d4 Slashing
Properties: Finesse, Reach, Serrated, Trick Weapon
[Weapon Transformation] Perfect Strike: You line up a perfect attack, capitalizing on the distraction of your weapon transforming to strike true. The weapon changes to Cane Form before making this attack. If it hits, this attack deals an additional 1d8 damage.

(Nuptup Notes: I did some more tuning of the weapons as I was retyping them all, adjusted some values and overall made most of them very close to being balanced with each other. There's a few that COULD be more powerful in the right hands with certain builds than others, but that's kind of the point right? If you disagree with any of them, please let me know and we can work to make them right. I also added the Saw Spear as the finesse equivalent of the Saw Cleaver.)

Phhase
2021-09-02, 01:32 PM
Compare and contrast this (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24479826&postcount=1) post I made about this very topic. Some of the systems are simpler, some more complex. I've also got a bunch of the firearms, frenzy, and hunter tools.

Nuptup
2021-09-02, 04:15 PM
Compare and contrast this (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24479826&postcount=1) post I made about this very topic. Some of the systems are simpler, some more complex. I've also got a bunch of the firearms, frenzy, and hunter tools.

So, I looked through it, and while it is cool and probably more balanced towards phb power level, I personally like the wild style that these ones do. But, yours do spark some neat ideas in my head for how OP could implement the guns and such!