PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Monk "Rage"?

Wasp
2021-08-25, 08:03 PM
Hi!

What do you think of the follewing possible Monk subclass feature for 3rd level molded off the Barbarian Rage feature?

Martial Trance
Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd Level, you can enter a trance-like state during combat. On Your Turn, you can spend 2 ki points to enter into martial trance as a Bonus Action.

While in trance, you gain the following benefits:

• When you use a monk ability it costs you 1 less ki than normal. The ki costs can be reduced to 0 this way.

• When you make an unarmed Attack or an Attack with a monk weapon, you gain a bonus of +2 to your damage roll. This increases to +3 at your 9th level in Monk and +4 at your 16th level in monk.

• You have Resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.

If you are able to cast Spells, you can't cast them or concentrate on them while in trance.If you are able to rage, you can't rage while you are in trance and you can't enter trance while raging.

Your trance lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are knocked Unconscious or if Your Turn ends and you haven't attacked a Hostile creature since your last turn or taken damage since then. You can also end your rage on Your Turn as a Bonus Action.

Once you have been in trance the maximum number of times for your Monk level, you must finish a Long Rest before you can enter trance again. You may enter trance 3 times at 3rd, 4 at 6th, 5 at 12th, and 6 at 17th.

Intregus182
2021-08-26, 04:41 PM
I'd make it cost 3 ki points instead of 2

luuma
2021-08-26, 05:36 PM
Hi!

What do you think of the follewing possible Monk subclass feature for 3rd level molded off the Barbarian Rage feature?

Martial Trance
Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd Level, you can enter a trance-like state during combat. On Your Turn, you can spend 2 ki points to enter into martial trance as a Bonus Action.

While in trance, you gain the following benefits:

• When you use a monk ability it costs you 1 less ki than normal. The ki costs can be reduced to 0 this way.

• When you make an unarmed Attack or an Attack with a monk weapon, you gain a bonus of +2 to your damage roll. This increases to +3 at your 9th level in Monk and +4 at your 16th level in monk.

• You have Resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.

If you are able to cast Spells, you can't cast them or concentrate on them while in trance.If you are able to rage, you can't rage while you are in trance and you can't enter trance while raging.

Your trance lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are knocked Unconscious or if Your Turn ends and you haven't attacked a Hostile creature since your last turn or taken damage since then. You can also end your rage on Your Turn as a Bonus Action.

Once you have been in trance the maximum number of times for your Monk level, you must finish a Long Rest before you can enter trance again. You may enter trance 3 times at 3rd, 4 at 6th, 5 at 12th, and 6 at 17th.

Seems a touch too strong in its current state! An unlimited stream of flurry of blows and stunning strikes is extremely powerful, especially when all of those flurries have a +2 to each damage instance. I also think the second bullet point is much stronger on Monk than it is on Barbarian, because monks tend to get more attacks per turn. I think it feels a bit too similar to rage, overall - I imagine monk rage would look much less like a barbarian rage, so I'd maybe replace the damage resistance with some different analogue.

I'd change the three benefits to:

• Once per turn, when you damage a creature with an attack using monk weapon, the target takes additional damage equal to your martial arts die.

• You can use your Patient Defense and Step of the Wind features without expending ki.

• When a creature hits you with an attack, you can force it to reroll one of the dice, potentially causing the attack to miss.

I.e, rather than resisting all damage, this makes them become unbelievably evasive.

Nuptup
2021-08-30, 04:10 PM
Seems a touch too strong in its current state! An unlimited stream of flurry of blows and stunning strikes is extremely powerful, especially when all of those flurries have a +2 to each damage instance. I also think the second bullet point is much stronger on Monk than it is on Barbarian, because monks tend to get more attacks per turn. I think it feels a bit too similar to rage, overall - I imagine monk rage would look much less like a barbarian rage, so I'd maybe replace the damage resistance with some different analogue.

I'd change the three benefits to:

• Once per turn, when you damage a creature with an attack using monk weapon, the target takes additional damage equal to your martial arts die.

• You can use your Patient Defense and Step of the Wind features without expending ki.

• When a creature hits you with an attack, you can force it to reroll one of the dice, potentially causing the attack to miss.

I.e, rather than resisting all damage, this makes them become unbelievably evasive.

Not OP, but i freaking love this idea. However, the issue i see is that, with this you're focusing much more on the defensive side of the options than any offense since now a free patient defense is in direct comparison with a bonus action attack and a spent flurry of blows. I also think "Permanent" disadvantage AND forcible rerolls is a bit too much. I would actually just make it so that it reads like this perhaps.

• Once per turn, when you damage a creature with an attack using an unarmed attack or a monk weapon, you can use your bonus action to try to trip, shove or disarm the target. If you succeed, you deal your martial arts die in damage.

• You are unable to use the flurry of blows ki power while in a trance. Instead, you increase your martial arts die size by 1 step for the duration of your trance.

This would allow you to focus on defense or hindering your foes, while also maintaining a bit of the OP's original damage oriented flavor by increasing martial arts die size instead of just granting a flat buff.