PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Becoming a Colossal Character Without Shapechange

Doctor Despair
2021-08-25, 10:12 PM
A while ago I posted a thread trying to list all the ways to become unusual sizes (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?631127-Players-of-Unusual-Size-I-Don-t-Think-They-Exist&p=25037342#post25037342) as a player character. That thread has since aged out, but I overlooked the most recent comment on it before it did so. Originally, I had thought that the largest non-dragon magazine playable race was a Half-Ogre with Human Heritage and permanent Enlarge Person. You're huge for the meager cost of LA+2, a feat, and some pocket change; I thought colossal size was simply impossible since we weren't close at all. However, that more recent comment discussed the half-fiend template which, excitingly, is compatible with that strategy, leading us to this statblock:

Half-Goristro Half-Ogre
Type: Outsider
Size: Huge
Base Speed: Land 30

Strength: +22
Intelligence: -2
Dexterity: -4
Wisdom:+0
Constitution: +14
Charisma: -2

Space: 15 feet
Reach: 15 feet
Size Modifier: -2

Natural Armor: +12

Natural Attacks: 2 Slams 3d6 + Str
Special Attacks: Smite Good
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft, Immunity (Poison), Resistance 10 (Acid/Cold/Electic/Fire), DR 5 (Cold Iron), SR 10

Automatic Languages: Common, Giant
Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Draconic, Gnoll, Goblin, Orc
Alignment: Always evil
CR: HD +3
LA: +6

If we take Human Heritage at level 1 and apply Permanent Enlarge Person, we would become a Gargantuan Humanoid (Human) with an additional +2 Str, -2 Dex, -1 to Attack and AC, +5 to Reach, and +1d6 to our Slam damage. +4LA is a big investment for little return (apart from absurdity), but I have to wonder if we can do better. Can we become colossal, or become gargantuan more efficiently?

I'm digging around for any other ways to change our size to colossal, and I can't say I'm ecstatic with the options, but they're interesting to say the least. The best I could find at first was to take that same Half-Goristro Half-Ogre and infect it with Chachalot Whale Lycanthropy. Then, apply permanent Enlarge Person. Your hybrid form would be colossal, but you'd also have LA +8 and 12 RHD which is completely unsustainable. Unfortunately, I'm floundering (small pun intended) when it comes to finding Gargantuan animals with fewer HD, so becoming colossal seems prohibitively expensive using lycanthropy as a vehicle.

I dug around for other forms of lycanthropy, and a Half-Ogre could become huge with Huge Viper lycanthropy instead of using the Half-Goristro template. That would saddle you with +2 LA and 6 RHD instead of +4 LA... I'm not sure the +2LA saved from not taking the Half-Goristro is worth 6RHD, but at least the RHD provide stats and feats, I suppose. Let's see what that stat block would look like:

Lycanthrope (Huge Viper, Afflicted) Half-Ogre (Hybrid Form)
Type: Giant (Shapechanger)
Size: Huge
Base Speed: Land 30

Strength: +12
Intelligence: -2
Dexterity: +2
Wisdom:+2
Constitution: +4
Charisma: -2
(+1 of player's choice to any ability via HD)

Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Hide, Listen, Spot, Swim
Skill Points: 2 +int/HD

Feats: Improved Initiative (b), Run (b), Weapon Focus: Bite (b), Iron Will (b)

Base Save Bonuses from HD: Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +2

Space: 15 feet
Reach: 15 feet
Size Modifier: -2

HD: 6d8
BAB: +4
Natural Armor: +6

Natural Attacks: 2 Claws 2d4 +Str, 1 Bite 2d6 +Str
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light Vision, Scent, Alternate Form, DR 5 (Silver), Lycanthropic Empathy
Automatic Languages: Common, Giant
Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Draconic, Gnoll, Goblin, Orc
Alignment: Evil
CR: Class Levels +4
LA: +4

It's a shame the Half-Fiend web template can't increase your size past Huge, or I could go diving for gargantuan fiends. We can still take Human Heritage and permanency Enlarge Person to be Gargantuan here, of course. Losing 10 strength and 10 con is notable, to say the least. The bab almost erases the loss of strength with regard to attack bonus at least, and the HD will outpace the benefit of the con with regard to hit points for a few levels at least. The loss in natural armor probably offsets the HD hp as well, though, and the resistances were definitely nice, although the SR was somewhat negligible at that ECL, and the natural attacks are somewhat notably worse... Half-Goristro Half-Ogre is probably stronger overall, I'd say.

With Dragon Magazine material, you could take a medium race (we'll say human for simplicity), add the dragon Half-Ogre or Half-Minotaur templates for +1 LA to become large, add Half-Goristro for +4 to become huge, then add the Afflicted Cachalot Whale Lycanthropy for +2LA and 12HD to become Gargantuan at ECL 20, then enlarge person to be colossal. This is at least within 20HD, but giving up 14 class levels for one size category increase is, again, prohibitively expensive... It would have been a silly entry for the Kaiju villainous competition recently, but alas, I only recently went diving back into the thread for an unrelated reason, so it wasn't meant to be.

I suppose, then, this question is a bit of a two-parter:

Is there a cheaper (ECL-wise) way to hit all-day gargantuan size as a PC? The bar is to be gargantuan by ECL7.

Is there a cheaper (ECL-wise) way to hit all-day colossal size as a PC?

The second question is probably best answered by Persistent Shapechange or Persistent Expansion, but I'm still hopeful there's some suspiciously low HD gargantuan animal out there to save the day.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-08-25, 10:31 PM
There's the unique spell giant size that's only on the Wu Jen list a a 7th level spell. When cast at CL19+, it turns a Medium character Colossal for 1 minute. Personal range only, though.

Unfortunately, it needs 15 levels in Wu Jen, generous Extra Spell shenanigans, or a properly timed dip into something like Wyrm Wizard.

Teth
2021-08-26, 12:54 AM
There's the unique spell giant size that's only on the Wu Jen list a a 7th level spell. When cast at CL19+, it turns a Medium character Colossal for 1 minute. Personal range only, though.

Unfortunately, it needs 15 levels in Wu Jen, generous Extra Spell shenanigans, or a properly timed dip into something like Wyrm Wizard.

Archivist, Chameleon PrC with Versatile Spellcaster somehow, anyone who can cast Miracle, scrolls generally but more so if you have access to metamagic spell completion and can throw persists on when using it. Probably a few others. Anything that lets you DIY a domain spell list.

Getting it to CL 19 for colossal isn't terrible, assuming you're level 13 and normally preparing 7th level spells without any other shenanigans, that's an orange ioun stone, a magic tattoo, and a bead of karma, barring stuff like Greater Consumptive Field or Circle Magic.

Probably need it on a constant magic item though if you want to keep it up all the time. Or a permanent touch-activated rune with persist and extend included, via Runecaster PrC and DMM cheese spread, so that it can be refreshed for 48 hrs as a move action any time you reach into your handy haversack.

Rebel7284
2021-08-26, 02:26 AM
Expansion gets you two size categories instead of one and doesn't require human heritage. A little harder to get to last all day every day though. You can certainly augment it to 10 min/level and maybe even Extend that to get it all day at later levels. Anyway, at the cost of some power points 2 or 3 times per day, you can optimize to Huge and still walk around as Colossal. Realistically, this is better since there will be times you really need to fit into a dungeon. :smallsmile:

Power Link Shards allow you to augment a bunch several times a day, however those are Kalashtar only, unless you can convince your DM that UMD works on implanting crystals inside of your body (it works RAW).

edit: Practiced Manifester helps make up for the racial HD a bit.

I am thinking something like:
Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale Half Fiend Ardent or Psychic Warrior 6 with Practiced Manifester, Extend Power, and Overchannel. (ECL 13)
You can spend 11 Power points and take 3d8 points of damage to grow Colossal for 220 minutes.

Of course if you can use the 3.0 Persistent Power, that can make it easier (although would definitely behoove Kalashtar Half Minotaur/Half Fiend to get the needed augmentation early enough)

Anthrowhale
2021-08-26, 06:48 AM
For your other thread, Shinomen Naga Constrictor is LA+5 and Shinomen Naga Chameleon is LA+2 according to the Oriental Adventures update in Dragon #318.

In addition to those listed, there is also the 'Waker of the Beast' PRC in Dragon #296. It's pretty terrible, but it is an alternative to Enlarge Person.

One other method of size change is via Ring of Growth (Savage Species page 54) which is something like Righteous Might for 9 minutes. It's explicitly not cumulative with other magical size changes.

ShurikVch
2021-08-26, 08:01 AM
Half-Ogre can bump your Size up to Large (if you're Medium), Half-Fiend variant - up to Huge, and Ogre Titan - +1 more size, thus = Gargantuan. After that, any Expansion/Growth would make you Colossal.

Also, Thrall of Kostchtchie PrC (Dragon #345) at capstone gives you +1 size category (and switches your type to Giant)

Athasian Dragon PrC (Dragon #339) bumps your size on two size categories, but required Epic Spellcasting and Humanoid type

Also, some monsters from Epic Level Handbook are "playable": their ECL is over 30, but - disregarding that - you still can play them

Doctor Despair
2021-08-26, 08:35 AM
For your other thread, Shinomen Naga Constrictor is LA+5 and Shinomen Naga Chameleon is LA+2 according to the Oriental Adventures update in Dragon #318.

In addition to those listed, there is also the 'Waker of the Beast' PRC in Dragon #296. It's pretty terrible, but it is an alternative to Enlarge Person.

One other method of size change is via Ring of Growth (Savage Species #54) which is something like Righteous Might for 9 minutes. It's explicitly not cumulative with other magical size changes.

I'll add those details to the original thread (and probably remove the Constrictor as being overpriced for a base race to get big).

Half-Ogre can bump your Size up to Large (if you're Medium), Half-Fiend variant - up to Huge, and Ogre Titan - +1 more size, thus = Gargantuan. After that, any Expansion/Growth would make you Colossal.

Dragonlance adventures are licensed by WotC at least, so that works with human heritage. Dragon material is probably legal at that table if Dragonlance expansions are, so that's pretty clean. Well, I say that -- I don't have Age of Mortals handy, so I have no way to check the LA or requirements on Ogre Titan. :smalleek:

Also, Thrall of Kostchtchie PrC (Dragon #345) at capstone gives you +1 size category (and switches your type to Giant)

Man, setting aside the officialness of dragon material, entry requirements are pretty steep there. You must either diplomatize a frost giant so effectively that they convert their religion, or kill ten frost giants. That's setting aside the other requirements, of course, and that the size increase is buried under 10 levels. Still beats animal RHD, of course.

ShurikVch
2021-08-26, 08:58 AM
I don't have Age of Mortals handy, so I have no way to check the LA or requirements on Ogre Titan.
In the Price of Courage, it's LA +6

Monsters from ELH could be lowered to ECL 2 by using petitioner template on them: 3.5 update for Manual of the Planes didn't made Petitioners "LA: —", and some planes lacking Planar Commitment

Also, Symbiotic Creature template: attach to something Colossal - and presto: you're Colossal...

Psyren
2021-08-26, 10:07 AM
1) Find a colossal creature
2) Magic Jar / Possession :smalltongue:

At hours/level you can hit "all day" easily.

Anthrowhale
2021-08-26, 11:51 AM
I'll add those details to the original thread (and probably remove the Constrictor as being overpriced for a base race to get big).
W.r.t. the original thread, some of the large creatures are listed as coming online at ECL 4, but I think you can actually play them at ECL 3 with no class levels.

W.r.t. this thread,

It's amusing to start with a Sparrow Hengeyokai, so the character can also be fine size.
A Half-Goristro Half-minotaur Sparrow Hengeyokai gained via savage progressions in the context of level buyoff could have LA+0 after 15 class levels.
If they are then level drained and infected with were-cachalot whale they could be gargantuan with ECL 14.

Doctor Despair
2021-08-26, 12:03 PM
W.r.t. the original thread, some of the large creatures are listed as coming online at ECL 4, but I think you can actually play them at ECL 3 with no class levels.

W.r.t. this thread,

It's amusing to start with a Sparrow Hengeyokai, so the character can also be fine size.
A Half-Goristro Half-minotaur Sparrow Hengeyokai gained via savage progressions in the context of level buyoff could have LA+0 after 15 class levels.
If they are then level drained and infected with were-cachalot whale they could be gargantuan with ECL 14.

That's fair; I was assuming the player would begin play with 1 class level, but that's not necessarily true.

I'm not sure the Hengeyokai trick would work. The creature's true form is the animal, as specified in the fluff text, despite its humanoid type. At best, both categories would be affected by size-increasing templates; at worst, only the animal form would be affected. If both forms are affected, you could be a Half-Goristro Half-Minotaur Hengeyokai would be huge in their humanoid/hybrid form and small in their sparrow form. Adding lycanthropy would give them... interesting options depending on the DM reading. If their hybrid lycanthropy form meshes with their sparrow form, they could be a gargantuan whale sparrow.

Anthrowhale
2021-08-26, 01:11 PM
I'm not sure the Hengeyokai trick would work. The creature's true form is the animal, as specified in the fluff text, despite its humanoid type.

The Dragon Magazine update makes the Hengeyokai Humanoid[Shapechanger] with LA+0 so Hengeyokai should be in human form inside any antimagic areas and size adjustments should apply to the human (and hybrid) forms. The wording of the Hengeyokai's animal form says you turn into a 'normal animal' which presumably eliminates all racial size adjustments to the base form.

Doctor Despair
2021-08-26, 02:23 PM
The Dragon Magazine update makes the Hengeyokai Humanoid[Shapechanger] with LA+0 so Hengeyokai should be in human form inside any antimagic areas and size adjustments should apply to the human (and hybrid) forms. The wording of the Hengeyokai's animal form says you turn into a 'normal animal' which presumably eliminates all racial size adjustments to the base form.

The update changed their type, but it didn't errata their base form.

Hengeyokai are intelligent, shapechanging animals, able to
shift freely between human and animal forms, as well as a
bipedal, animalistic form

As absurd as it seems, their base form should still be the animal even having humanoid as their type.

Anthrowhale
2021-08-26, 04:03 PM
As absurd as it seems, their base form should still be the animal even having humanoid as their type.

Hmm, interesting. A humanoid sparrow is a definite 'huh?' that I hadn't appreciated.

ShurikVch
2021-08-26, 04:54 PM
This is a vivid example of Crunch/Fluff disconnection: by the fluff, they're animals, but by the crunch - Humanoids
(And this disconnect even predates 3.5 update: in 3.0, they were Shapechangers - not Animals. Especially considering the "Int 1 or 2" rule for Animals existed even back then - if less strongly worded...)

Morof Stonehands
2021-08-26, 06:39 PM
Drider Template bumps you up one size
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20011118a

Doctor Despair
2021-08-26, 06:53 PM
Driver Template bumps you up one size

It doesn't have a listed LA that I can see :smalleek:

Morof Stonehands
2021-08-26, 07:15 PM
It doesn't have a listed LA that I can see :smalleek:

Darn I didn’t even see that! I used it in my poor attempt at Villainous Comp, but that ran off CR which explains why :/

ShurikVch
2021-08-27, 06:55 AM
Driver Template bumps you up one size
Taxi Drider? :smallbiggrin:

Jack_Simth
2021-08-27, 07:22 AM
A Drider is large, just like a horse, and is intelligent, which means one could replace both horse and driver on a suitable buggy, in which case, it could be a taxi drider.

Morof Stonehands
2021-08-27, 03:40 PM

Ah sorry I edited my post before seeing this lol that’s a good one!