PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Crush vs Freedom of Movement

Doctor Despair
2021-08-26, 10:42 PM
Previously, I explored some of the ways that grapple-based builds can cope with Freedom of Movement (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?631522-The-Long-Arm-of-the-Law-Optimizing-Justicar-s-quot-Hog-Tie-quot-to-Foil-Freedom-of-Movement&p=25048335&viewfull=1#post25048335). Some notable methods of grappling and hog-tying enemies who would otherwise have access to Freedom of Movement included:

Attempting to dispel or remove the effect

Initiating the grapple from range using thrown melee attacks to get a surprise round

Using the Ranged Pin feat to confer the pinned condition (note: the feat does not specifically confer the pinned condition, so ymmv)

Wildshaping into a Mimic to use slam attacks to confer the grapple condition without allowing an opposed check

With that said, I've recently become aware of a relatively concise method to become gargantuan, and that has opened up a new avenue: Crush (Savage Species). Specifically, the feat reads:

Like a dragon, you can hurl your body onto opponents to deal tremendous damage.

Prerequisite
Huge size. Size --------- Crush Base Damage. Huge --------- 2d8. Gargantuan - 4d6. Colossal ----- 4d8,

Benefit
As a standard action, you can jump or fall onto opponents, using your whole body to crush them. This attack is useful only against creatures at least three size categories smaller than yourself. The base damage for a crush attack depends on your size category, as given on the table above. Add 1 1/2 times your Strength bonus to this base damage to determine the total damage for the attack. A crush attack deals bludgeoning damage and affects as many creatures as can fit under your body (see Large and Small Creatures in Combat in Chapter 8 of the Player 's Handbook). Each creature in the affected area must succeed on a Reflex save (DC 10 + your Str modifier + your size modifier for grapple attacks). On a failure, the opponent is pinned and automatically takes crush damage each round the pin is maintained.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/d57876de7f4072fef9fdffe2fbe8a298/tumblr_mqkqx43z0X1rpn9eno1_500.gifv

Much like Mimic confers the grappled condition without an opposed check, so too does this feat explicitly allow us to confer the pinned condition without an opposed check. What's more, it does so without conferring the "grappled" condition to us! With gargantuan size, we can forcibly pin creatures of medium size or smaller on a failed save (22 + Str mod). From there, with an extra standard action, we can immediately move to hog-tie our pinned friends. The most accessible forms of extra actions for a non-caster seemed to be the Belt of Battle (burn all 3 charges for full iteratives to attempt to hog-tie) and White Raven Tactics (an extra turn in initiative as a swift action).

With that said, such a character might look like this:

Half-Goristro
Half-Ogre
LA
+6

Stat
Array
After Racial/ Template Modifiers
4th
8th
12th
Final

Str
+1
+1
-

Dex
-
-
-

Con
-
-
+1

Int
-
-
-

Wis
-
-
-

Cha
-
-
-

HD
Class
Feat
Class Feature
Notes

Ranger (Skilled City Dweller)
Human Heritage, TrackRanger
1st favored enemy, wild empathy
In the early game, we're an extra big half-ogre. 42 strength (after our permanent Enlarge Person) is probably enough to keep us relevant for low-op parties, and our high con can help pad our missing hp from HD a little. With a set of strongarm bracers, we can wield colossal weapons with ease, giving us another damage boost.

Warblade
-
Battle clarity (Reflex saves), weapon aptitude
-

Warblade
Crush
Uncanny dodge
While we can't hogtie enemies yet, adding Crush gives us a powerful attack option against most opponents. Our strength is set at 42, so the DC would be 38 to avoid being pinned, fairly high for a level 9 character.

Warblade
-
Battle ardor (critical confirmation)
-

Warblade
-
-
-

Warblade
Quick DrawWarblade, Skill Focus: Gather Information
-
We finally gain access to White Raven Tactics here, and our bab grows enough to grant us entry to Justicar.

Justicar
-
Bring 'em back alive, nonlethal strike +1d6
-

Justicar
Improved GrappleJusticar
Crippling strike
-

Justicar
EWP: ManaclesJusticar, player's choice
Street savvy +2
-

Justicar
-
Nonlethal strike +2d6
-

Justicar
-
Hog-tie
Here, we have 44 strength without a magical enhancement, so the Crush reflex save would be 39. Then, we have a +44 grapple bonus on our hogtie attempt against as many as two of the creatures we've pinned.

Now, I think it's well past time to acknowledge that +6 LA is far from ideal. One could settle for being a huge character with LA +2 by forgoing the Half-Goristro template (and giving up that sweet, sweet +16 to strength). The larger penalty there is that Crush would only work on small or smaller creatures. Still, that's a decent amount of opponents, and much less cost-prohibitive. Overall, I'd say that of the identified foils to freedom of movement (mimic wildshape, ranged pin, and crush), this seems like the weakest, but it's still notable - and a silly attack pattern to consider for any huge character if you have a spare feat.

Anthrowhale
2021-08-27, 06:29 AM
This is fun, but the three size categories smaller constraint seems severe. Maybe in a specialized game of not dungeons (to big to fit & jump) and not dragons (to large to crush).

Batcathat
2021-08-27, 07:52 AM
My favorite part is that it says "jump or fall onto opponents", presumably it refers to flying creatures dropping down but I can't help but imagine someone intentionally tipping over like a tree onto an enemy.

Doctor Despair
2021-08-27, 09:16 AM
My favorite part is that it says "jump or fall onto opponents", presumably it refers to flying creatures dropping down but I can't help but imagine someone intentionally tipping over like a tree onto an enemy.

The creature lies there, more mountain than man at this point, with a lush coating of lichen filling the crags and crevasses of its skin and gear. The party runs up and plinks attacks off the creature's natural armor, waking it up. It grunts and glares down at them for a just a moment before shifting its ponderous bulk and rolling over on top of them, grumbling to itself with a voice like stone grinding on stone. "Five... more... minutes..."

If we open up dragon magazine material, we could take a human with 18 strength, apply Half-Minotaur for an effective +12 to strength, apply the Half-Goristro template for an effective +16 to strength, then use our two level 1 feats for Human Heritage and Crush, then pay for a permanent enlarge person. With the addition of our first class level, we're ECL 6, possessing 48 strength, gargantuan, and can force up to 16 adjacent medium creatures at once (or more if they're crowding into one another's squares) to make a DC 40 reflex save or be pinned and take 4d6 +19 bludgeoning damage each round.

This is fun, but the three size categories smaller constraint seems severe. Maybe in a specialized game of not dungeons (to big to fit & jump) and not dragons (to large to crush).

Yeah, I really wish the size limitation were only two size categories... Alas, we still have wildshape to make grappling viable. I was actually shocked at how little feat support there was for being huge, gargantuan, or colossal (or rather how little benefit there was), although perhaps I shouldn't have been. I thought there'd be way more monstrous feats relevant to reaching this size. The only other sorta relevant one was Snatch and Swallow (if you can apply Half-Ogre, Half-Minotaur, then Half-Goristro to a Kobold, then apply the Dragonwrought feat, you'd be a huge dragon at least, and it works on creatures up to two size categories smaller, thankfully). Even that's super underwhelming though.

RNightstalker
2021-08-29, 06:11 PM
A character that is pinned can still take a standard action to escape on their turn. That being said, a character that escapes a pin is still considered grappled, and will have to wait another round to escape the grapple.

Doctor Despair
2021-08-29, 06:52 PM
A character that is pinned can still take a standard action to escape on their turn. That being said, a character that escapes a pin is still considered grappled, and will have to wait another round to escape the grapple.

Iirc it's in lieu of an iterative attack, so the pinned character, should they have BAB +6, would be able to attempt to escape the grapple as well. That's why it's crucial to have White Raven Tactics or the Belt of Battle to be able to attempt to hogtie in the same round.