PDA

View Full Version : Aurora

Fyraltari
2021-08-27, 07:00 AM
Aurora (https://comicaurora.com/) is a high fantasy webcomic drawn and written by Red of Overly Sarcastic Productions (https://www.youtube.com/user/RedEyesTakeWarning) fame.
It is an optimistic action dramedy born of the author's desire for fantasy in general to be less gritty and realistic and more "medieval superhero".

The comic follows an ensemble cast trying to rescue a kidnapped benevolent god, stop a probably malevolent dragon-god-thing from (maybe?) eating the world and figuring out their place in the world while the fandom argues about whose hair is the most magnificent.

It updates every Monday, Wednesday and Friday and hasn't missed an update yet (several hundred pages as of writing).

Here (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/0-1-1/)'s the first page for anyone who wants to get started.

So, turns out you get better result by being nice to the receptionist and explaining what exactly you are trying to achieve than by barging in and making demands. Who knew?

Manga Shoggoth
2021-08-27, 10:55 AM
Ooh! This sounds good!

Well, if it's got Red doing it, it's going to at least be worth a look.

Silva Stormrage
2021-08-27, 04:42 PM
I was actually surprised when this webcomic didn't have a thread. I highly recommend it for anyone who is curious. It starts off a bit slow but once the group starts to form the character dynamics are just great and refreshing. The characters feel like actual characters instead of just vehicles for the plot or caricatures of certain traits.

And ya turns out Erin might actually get into the archives. I wonder if he will bring up the standing storm and the mark in the pedestal without mentioning the whole situation with the void dragon. Of course even if he gets in I imagine either Tynan or the unnamed Paladin champion are going to mess with his research a bit.

Fyraltari
2021-09-02, 02:27 AM
New comic. (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-13-35/)

Well, that's an unusual look for a bounty huntress.

Silva Stormrage
2021-09-02, 11:18 PM
Well she is almost certainly a mage considering the last time she was referenced, and I doubt that that is her "combat" attire anyway. Still I would agree that that was not what I was expecting from them XD

Fyraltari
2021-09-03, 04:16 AM
Wait she was mentionned before? I must have forgotten.

Lord Raziere
2021-09-03, 04:37 AM
Wait she was mentionned before? I must have forgotten.

No, I've read this entire webcomic two days ago, she's new, this is the first time I've seen or read of her.

Silva Stormrage
2021-09-04, 01:14 AM
The comic where she is mentioned is here (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-13-2/) on the last panel. It is barely mentioned but she was brought up before. That's why the guard in the most recent comics made the annoyed comment about the "night squad" when she showed up.

She wasn't explicitly called a mage but if she was the heavy artillery for the city to take on a tough mage than I highly expected her to be one. And it turns out I was right on that mark at least :smalltongue:

Kantaki
2021-09-05, 01:39 PM
Only at chapter ten, but the comic is great so far.

Just... This Doctor Jolon fellow's not too smart, is he?
Ranting how the victims of your experiments were "just animals" and "not the point" while the local forest god and the primordial embodiment of the element of life are discussing who should punish you for those experiments is not the height of intelligence wisdom at the very least.

But that's mad scientists for you, I guess.
Above average intelligence, absolutely abysmal wisdom.

Silva Stormrage
2021-09-08, 02:21 PM
New Comic
Alright so my prediction is that Tess notices Alinua and Falst wandering the market, goes to talk to them and Shrike uses this as an excuse to try to arrest all of them.

Silly Name
2021-09-08, 02:33 PM
New Comic
Alright so my prediction is that Tess notices Alinua and Falst wandering the market, goes to talk to them and Shrike uses this as an excuse to try to arrest all of them.

Prison break aaaaaaarc

Silva Stormrage
2021-09-08, 02:39 PM
I mean with Tynan coming in I am not sure the prison is going to be intact enough for a "Prison Break" to be particularly difficult XD.

Silly Name
2021-09-08, 04:51 PM
It still counts as a prison break if the prison gets literally broken, at least for me

Fyraltari
2021-09-13, 08:14 AM
New Comic

My prediction is that Alinua and Falst will intervene to try and protect Tess.

Silva Stormrage
2021-09-13, 02:54 PM
New Comic
Looks like I was right and Shrike has a different "Hunting" outfit. And ya good point on Alinua and Falst interfering, not sure if it will be to protect Tess though. Especially if whatever the alchemist/scientist smoke bomb spreads into the crowd and they try to blow it away or deal with it somehow and Shrike believes them to be assisting Tess. Or Tess could recognize them, which would also throw Shrike's suspicion on them. Hard to say but it does look like its going to come to a head here.

Fyraltari
2021-09-20, 05:31 AM
This is why I love playing magic/fighter combos in games. No more magic? Guess I'll just beat the tar out of you the good old fashioned way, then!

Silva Stormrage
2021-09-20, 10:03 AM
Ya I wasn't expecting this to be the outcome but Tess's sheer overwhelming confidence/"I don't feel the least bit worried" attitude is hilarious. I am curious if she will be able to simply brute force the manacles off or not.

Lord Raziere
2021-09-20, 10:23 AM
Ya I wasn't expecting this to be the outcome but Tess's sheer overwhelming confidence/"I don't feel the least bit worried" attitude is hilarious. I am curious if she will be able to simply brute force the manacles off or not.

Either that or use the chain to pull the squishy wizard to her with her strength and punch her in the face to knock her out. Just pull, punch, take hostage perhaps threaten her life to make her let go. Y'know, reverse the situation turn the weak point into an opportunity, thats what I'd do.

Nabeela
2021-09-21, 09:23 AM
Awesome avatar!!

Silva Stormrage
2021-09-23, 02:18 AM
Man, Tess is so good natured. I highly expect she will join the party but I am greatly looking forward to it. I do wonder what her interest in Erin is though.

Fyraltari
2021-09-23, 05:37 AM
Man, Tess is so good natured. I highly expect she will join the party but I am greatly looking forward to it. I do wonder what her interest in Erin is though.

She's not very quick to anger, that's for sure.

Silly Name
2021-09-23, 06:42 AM

So far, I'm assuming she was assigned to track down the idiot Avatar Elemental Magus by the school. That or she needs someone who can manipulate all six elements for reasons,

Fyraltari
2021-09-23, 07:01 AM
So far, I'm assuming she was assigned to track down the idiot Avatar Elemental Magus by the school.
I don't think so, if the university wanted him back, they'd send a message bird to him. Also, if she were acting in an official capacity she probably would have told the officials of Zuurith what she was there for rather than going around trespassing on rooftops.

That or she needs someone who can manipulate all six elements for reasons,
Seems more likely. It's probably related to the dragon she was fighting (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-6-26/) that left rudely because of him. (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-6-27/)

Silva Stormrage
2021-10-01, 09:52 PM
Whelp, that escalated quickly. Best of luck to our heroes but I imagine they are going to get stuck in the prison in the foreseeable future.

Fyraltari
2021-10-06, 06:17 AM
And Alinua is officially done with this.

Kantaki
2021-11-13, 06:30 AM
New comic

I honestly have no idea what the arena master's plan is here.
Does he really expect those two to fight seriously? To the death? :smallconfused:
Unless there's some catch they might start a "who can punch the lightest" competition.
Best of three.:smallamused:

Fyraltari
2021-11-13, 09:45 AM
New comic

I honestly have no idea what the arena master's plan is here.
Does he really expect those two to fight seriously? To the death? :smallconfused:
Unless there's some catch they might start a "who can punch the lightest" competition.
Best of three.:smallamused:

Well to his credit, he probably doesn't know how nice Kendal is. I think all he knows about it is "creation of an enemy god".

Then again he may have some idea to make them take the fight seriously.

PoeticallyPsyco
2021-11-14, 12:39 AM
Well to his credit, he probably doesn't know how nice Kendal is. I think all he knows about it is "creation of an enemy god".

Then again he may have some idea to make them take the fight seriously.

I will be shocked if he doesn't threaten to punish Kendal's friends if Kendal doesn't take it seriously.

Silva Stormrage
2021-11-14, 06:40 AM
I will be shocked if he doesn't threaten to punish Kendal's friends if Kendal doesn't take it seriously.

I feel like that would be pretty out of character for such a lawful deity to threaten individuals who didn't do anything against his city and who are under the protection of an emissary of another city.

If Alinura, Tess and Falst are captured though that changes things.

Fyraltari
2021-11-14, 06:48 AM
I feel like that would be pretty out of character for such a lawful deity to threaten individuals who didn't do anything against his city and who are under the protection of an emissary of another city.

If Alinura, Tess and Falst are captured though that changes things.

The Arenamaster isn't Zuurith, though.

Silva Stormrage
2021-11-15, 03:24 AM
The Arenamaster isn't Zuurith, though.

Agreed but I feel like Zuurith would put a stop to something that would so massively impact the image of his city.

However, the new comic goes with the very idea amusing concept that the Arenamaster has NO idea about who Kendal really is which is quite amusing.

I kind of want to see them get back to the cell and start to discuss like fancy and showy moves to impress the crowd and then practice choreography of the upcoming fight.

Fyraltari
2021-11-15, 04:34 AM
I kind of want to see them get back to the cell and start to discuss like fancy and showy moves to impress the crowd and then practice choreography of the upcoming fight.

Which is pretty much* what gladiatorial fighting actually was. The point was to look good and be entertaining, not to kill the other guy.

*I don't think the fighters actually rehearsed with one another.

Pax1138
2021-11-16, 08:32 AM
Which is pretty much* what gladiatorial fighting actually was. The point was to look good and be entertaining, not to kill the other guy.

*I don't think the fighters actually rehearsed with one another.

So like professional wrestling... but with swords!

Fyraltari
2021-11-16, 09:22 AM

Exactly like professional wrestling with swords. And various other armaments.

Silva Stormrage
2021-11-16, 10:25 AM

Which is why I think it would be so hilarious watching Kendal trying to act as a pro wrestling heel for his rival city and not being able to pull that off realistically due to being so good natured.

Fyraltari
2021-11-16, 11:05 AM
Which is why I think it would be so hilarious watching Kendal trying to act as a pro wrestling heel for his rival city and not being able to pull that off realistically due to being so good natured.

Also his rival city is not even a hole in the ground right now.

Silva Stormrage
2021-11-24, 04:28 AM
New Comic

Okay of all the situations relating to Tess and Erin knowing each other I was not expecting a casual "Oh his dad bought me" as a feasible possibility...

Fyraltari
2021-11-24, 05:05 AM
Err... Points for good intentions?

Silva Stormrage
2021-11-30, 04:51 PM
Err... Points for good intentions?

Based on the current comic and Tess' reaction to Erin's father I don't think good intentions factor much into it atm. Still considering Erin's reaction and the fact that they share a family name implies some pretty close relation between the two regardless.

I am curious about the implications that Erin wasn't always the elemental magus or wasn't known to be at that age or something.

Lapak
2021-12-01, 09:31 AM
Since it sounds like that was news to them, I was thinking they might have just come to the conclusion I did - that the 'sky choosing' aka getting struck by lightning may have had something to do with the Elemental Magus helping things along.

Fyraltari
2021-12-01, 05:59 PM
So, until puberty, the metal caste folk are utterly defenseless against anyone who would wish them harm, and if something bad does happen, there's a significant chance they'll stay like that their entire lives. Wow.

About, last comic: The guy's wearing a neat suit and a ponytail, Shrike, what else do you want him to do to avoid funny looks? Grow smaller?

Lapak
2021-12-10, 08:40 AM
Not the tack I expected him to take on this, but it does neatly put the hunters in a bind. Either the situation gets defused at this point or it gets escalated way past the original intent, and it would be tough to tell on the spot which way the city would want them to jump.

Fyraltari
2021-12-10, 09:05 AM
Yeah this is probably the kind of situation where they'd have to report back to their superiors (the arena-master, I guess?)

There's also the question of how/if diploamtoc immunity works in this setting.

Kantaki
2021-12-10, 09:41 AM
You know, diplomatic kerfuffle aside, it strikes me as distinctly unwise to provoke the guy who's causally Magneto-ing your entire team. :smallamused:

Silva Stormrage
2021-12-10, 10:05 AM
Yeah this is probably the kind of situation where they'd have to report back to their superiors (the arena-master, I guess?)

There's also the question of how/if diploamtoc immunity works in this setting.

And considering the party is going to be leaving the city soon they could frankly be gone by the time the city decides how they want to handle this.

Fyraltari
2021-12-13, 03:45 AM
You have chosen... Poorly.

Kantaki
2021-12-13, 02:21 PM
Okay, there's poor life choices and then there's knowingly peeing against a active high voltage fence. While standing in a puddle. During a storm. Blaspheming against any and all higher beings that might listen.

This falls into the latter category.:smallsigh:

Oh well, maybe Shrike learns from the experience.
Maybe she even survives. :smallamused:

Fyraltari
2021-12-13, 03:42 PM
Okay, there's poor life choices and then there's knowingly peeing against a active high voltage fence. While standing in a puddle. During a storm. Blaspheming against any and all higher beings that might listen.

To be fair, she thought she was dealing with a simple metal-mage.

Silva Stormrage
2021-12-14, 05:48 PM

Also I doubt that Erin will go instantly for the lethal option. It would be poor form diplomatically speaking. Also the hunters don't pose much threat to Erin and the group, especially with Tess freed from her bonds. Shrike may be the only mage in the group and once she goes down the rest of the group is probably going to surrender (Or be effortlessly pinned to the wall again by Erin).

Kantaki
2021-12-15, 05:09 PM
New comic

Trusk is like "Well look at that! My shift's over. Toodles."
I think I like him :smallbiggrin:

Fyraltari
2022-01-12, 06:35 PM
I feel like Kendal could just leapfrog out of there if he really wanted to.

Silva Stormrage
2022-01-14, 10:32 AM
I feel like Kendal could just leapfrog out of there if he really wanted to.

Probably not with Zuurith being right there though. I imagine the god of the city would be able to knock him back to the arena pretty easily. Still I am not sure why doing a staged fight with both sides not really going for the kill isn't an option. It is pretty clear that the arena fights aren't all to the death and this one hasn't been specified as being to the death either (Which seems unlikely that it would be).

Fyraltari
2022-01-21, 07:44 AM
Sooooo... Tynan is going to attack the arena to get to Kendal, and it's going to turn into a free for all deathmatch of Kendal vs Dainix vs Tynan vs Zuurith, isn't it?

Silva Stormrage
2022-01-21, 04:34 PM
Sooooo... Tynan is going to attack the arena to get to Kendal, and it's going to turn into a free for all deathmatch of Kendal vs Dainix vs Tynan vs Zuurith, isn't it?

Probably yes.

The demon reveal wasn't particularly surprising. I think pretty much everyone expected that at this point. I wonder how the rest of the party is going to get involved though. It's unlikely they will just stay put once Tynan makes his descent.

Silva Stormrage
2022-02-02, 04:07 AM
Whelp, that is certainly one way to make an entrance.

Fyraltari
2022-02-02, 11:00 AM
Whelp, that is certainly one way to make an entrance.

"Let me interrupt this drama with even more drama"

Tynan, probably

Silva Stormrage
2022-02-04, 05:15 AM
New Chapter

I have got to admit, "Think of how much more orderly your city will be without any people" is a heck of a line there. I am curious how this is going to go down. Tynan clearly thinks they have the upper hand by a good margin for them to be this blunt and he seems to be less interested in taking out Kendal as I first would have guessed. I am not sure if Tynan is going to accept the heroes help in this endeavor, though I imagine they will be instrumental regardless.

My guess is that Erin will have to use the Black Dragon's power during this fight and will have to start avoiding paladins hunting him down for the next arc.

Fyraltari
2022-02-04, 06:15 AM
New Chapter

I have got to admit, "Think of how much more orderly your city will be without any people" is a heck of a line there. I am curious how this is going to go down. Tynan clearly thinks they have the upper hand by a good margin for them to be this blunt and he seems to be less interested in taking out Kendal as I first would have guessed. I am not sure if Tynan is going to accept the heroes help in this endeavor, though I imagine they will be instrumental regardless.

My guess is that Erin will have to use the Black Dragon's power during this fight and will have to start avoiding paladins hunting him down for the next arc.

As much as Tynan probably wants to hurt Kendall to get back at Vash, Tynan is the most dangerous foe present, so it makes sense to focus in him. I was wondering whether they knew each other, and they clearly do, which is interesting. Tynan seems to have beaten Zuurith before, but he not killed him, for some reason.

Lapak
2022-02-04, 01:17 PM
As much as Tynan probably wants to hurt Kendall to get back at Vash, Tynan is the most dangerous foe present, so it makes sense to focus in him. I was wondering whether they knew each other, and they clearly do, which is interesting. Tynan seems to have beaten Zuurith before, but he not killed him, for some reason.
Bullies get their jollies from people being scared of them. If he beats Zuurith down but doesn't kill him, he leaves behind a weakened enemy who will rebuild a sand castle for him to kick over later but who also KNOWS that he will lose before the next fight starts. Basically a perfect victim for the kind of monster Tynan wants to be.
And the other city gods who hear about it will dread him coming for them as well, doing part of his work before he even hits their city walls.

Metastachydium
2022-02-04, 03:23 PM
Tynan seems to have beaten Zuurith before, but he not killed him, for some reason.

Huh. I was under the impression that gods can't really be killed that way, and when gods physically fight, the fighting's actually done through their avatars, which are disposable. (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-12-6/)

Fyraltari
2022-02-04, 04:13 PM
My bad, I thought Tynan was in the habit of completely destroying cities, which would if I understand how it works correctly, kill the associated gods, or at least reduce them to almost nothing, but his thing is actually feeding on the fear of the survivors. So I guess he could have ravaged Zuurith way back when before meeting Vash.

PoeticallyPsyco
2022-02-05, 11:51 AM
So I'm either late to this realization or early to it, because I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere yet, but the black voice from the start of the comic is absolutely the Void Dragon, directing the creation of a race with elemental affinity so it can engineer its freedom.

Fyraltari
2022-02-05, 01:25 PM
So I'm either late to this realization or early to it, because I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere yet, but the black voice from the start of the comic is absolutely the Void Dragon, directing the creation of a race with elemental affinity so it can engineer its freedom.

Well, I'm not sure anyone besides the reader can hear him in this scene, but otherwise yes.

Metastachydium
2022-02-05, 03:53 PM
My bad, I thought Tynan was in the habit of completely destroying cities, which would if I understand how it works correctly, kill the associated gods, or at least reduce them to almost nothing, but his thing is actually feeding on the fear of the survivors. So I guess he could have ravaged Zuurith way back when before meeting Vash.

The way I understand it (mostly based on what Ilia said to Kendal and how the Collector explained the reason why she had to destroy Vash (the city) before she could capture Vash( the god)'s soul) destroying the locus/physical domain of a god is not lethal in itself, and nor does it drastically reduce their potential on the short run (as demonstrated in the first chapter). Tynan's comment implies it would have long term consequences, but I'm not sure it's ever been established that a god cannot acquire a new domain/rebuild the old one in case it gets destroyed.

Fyraltari
2022-02-07, 03:55 AM
Ah, come on Zuurith, you were just begging for that reply.

theNater
2022-02-09, 05:15 PM
I've been thinking about this, and I suspect it means the that the interference (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/0-1-2/) was a deliberate maneuver by the Light Dragon to stymie him (see her champion (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-7-33/) for energy color comparison).

Further, I speculate that it means the Eighth Element (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-14-18/) is soul, and that it's not readily workable by mages because it is under the control of an active primordial.

PoeticallyPsyco
2022-02-09, 10:27 PM
I've been thinking about this, and I suspect it means the that the interference (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/0-1-2/) was a deliberate maneuver by the Light Dragon to stymie him (see her champion (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-7-33/) for energy color comparison).

Further, I speculate that it means the Eighth Element (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-14-18/) is soul, and that it's not readily workable by mages because it is under the control of an active primordial.

Yeah I've been assuming/theorizing that the reason the 8th element can't be detected is because, unlike the other 7, its primordial isn't bound into the foundations of the universe, neither as part of those foundations like the main six nor imprisoned in them like the Void Dragon.

Silva Stormrage
2022-02-10, 05:17 PM
I think Zurith is learning the reason why other gods design their bodies to act without their precise control. You don't get a very resilient system if you have to micromanage everything yourself all the time...

Fyraltari
2022-02-10, 05:35 PM
I think Zurith is learning the reason why other gods design their bodies to act without their precise control. You don't get a very resilient system if you have to micromanage everything yourself all the time...

Did you mean "cities" instead of "bodies"? Because if so, I think the city gods are supposed to be reflections of the general outlook of the city's inhabitants, which means that Zuurith is the way he is because that's the way the Zuurithians at large think the guy in charge ought to be. Of course, as unquestionned leaders of their cities, the gods have a vast ability to shape what that city is like, so you end up with an egg-chicken issue. Are the Zuurithians like that because of Zuurith or is Zuurith like that because of them? Probably a self-fulfilling prophecy/vicious (or virtuous depending) cycle situation.

Silva Stormrage
2022-02-11, 12:11 AM
Did you mean "cities" instead of "bodies"? Because if so, I think the city gods are supposed to be reflections of the general outlook of the city's inhabitants, which means that Zuurith is the way he is because that's the way the Zuurithians at large think the guy in charge ought to be. Of course, as unquestionned leaders of their cities, the gods have a vast ability to shape what that city is like, so you end up with an egg-chicken issue. Are the Zuurithians like that because of Zuurith or is Zuurith like that because of them? Probably a self-fulfilling prophecy/vicious (or virtuous depending) cycle situation.

Nope I meant bodies, Zurith referenced it here. https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-12-25/

The avatars they inhabit are designed by the gods and designing an avatar where everything is manually run isn't an efficient one.

Fyraltari
2022-02-16, 08:35 AM
Nope I meant bodies, Zurith referenced it here. https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-12-25/

The avatars they inhabit are designed by the gods and designing an avatar where everything is manually run isn't an efficient one.

Oh okay.
I don't think that would have made a big difference, bit who knows, maybe Zuurith will come back with an upgrade.

Anyhoo, for today's comic:
https://s1.qwant.com/thumbr/0x0/9/d/501169f53381c67f3a6346ecd4fff93e3f81b0ee44e9c4e6e8 41405bb62907/ezgif.com-resize.gif?u=https%3A%2F%2Fladyknightediting.com%2 Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F05%2Fezgif.com-resize.gif&q=0&b=1&p=0&a=1

Silva Stormrage
2022-02-21, 10:38 AM
Hahaha okay I did not expect Alinua to take that approach. That last panel is great, looks like Life is willing to assist here as well going by the glowing eyes :smallbiggrin:

Fyraltari
2022-02-28, 03:00 AM
For a god of smithing, this guy is very chill.

Fyraltari
2022-03-14, 05:41 AM
Somebody just slap this jerk, please and thank you.

Kantaki
2022-03-14, 11:29 AM
It's kinda depressing when you expect nothing from people and they still manage to disappoint you.

Fyraltari
2022-03-23, 04:00 AM
I smell a new party member!

Silva Stormrage
2022-03-24, 11:04 PM

Not sure about that, I expect her to be a recurring semi antagonist. I don't think the Paladins will just let Erin walk around freely instead of just killing them outright. She will probably be the sympathetic point of view character for the paladins. IMO anyway

Lapak
2022-03-28, 06:51 AM

Not sure about that, I expect her to be a recurring semi antagonist. I don't think the Paladins will just let Erin walk around freely instead of just killing them outright. She will probably be the sympathetic point of view character for the paladins. IMO anyway
Nah, I agree with Fyraltari; the conveniently-portable version of the archives is (I would guess) how the main gang is going to be able to continue researching the truth about things. Unless they steal it outright (which yeah, would make them pretty implacable enemies) the crew is getting another member.

Fyraltari
2022-03-28, 07:28 AM

The paladins that just sealed themselves from the outside world for an indefinite amount of time?

No I think the flying champion will be the antagonistic one, trying to off the Void Dragon/Erin.

Also, it's detail but I think it'd be noce for her to join because with her and Tess, the party becomes gender-balanced instead of male-dominated like around 90% of fantasy.

Metastachydium
2022-03-28, 08:32 AM
The paladins that just sealed themselves from the outside world for an indefinite amount of time?

Nah, all the other paladins from the same continent that are doing their best to converge on Erin as we speak (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-7-33/).

That said, I also expect the Junior Archivist to join the party sooner than later. That it would make for glorious and novel intra-party conflict is really a fetaure, rather than a bug.

KatsOfLoathing
2022-03-28, 09:21 PM

No I think the flying champion will be the antagonistic one, trying to off the Void Dragon/Erin.

Also, it's detail but I think it'd be noce for her to join because with her and Tess, the party becomes gender-balanced instead of male-dominated like around 90% of fantasy.

I find it unlikely that this arc doesn't also end with Dainix joining the party, which would place the party's overall gender ratio at 4 men and 3 women.

The ratio of hair length, on the other hand, will remain overwhelmingly balanced in favor of long hair.

Fyraltari
2022-03-30, 02:51 AM
I find it unlikely that this arc doesn't also end with Dainix joining the party, which would place the party's overall gender ratio at 4 men and 3 women.

The ratio of hair length, on the other hand, will remain overwhelmingly balanced in favor of long hair.

Oh right, I keep forgetting about Dainix.

Silva Stormrage
2022-04-01, 01:14 PM
Tynan does not handle being not treated seriously well. Especially by someone he expects should be terrified.

I wonder if the blade's reaction is due to the property of the sword or Vash channeling more of his power into the blade through his link with Kendal (The person not the sword).

Fyraltari
2022-04-01, 04:06 PM
Tynan does not handle being not treated seriously well. Especially by someone he expects should be terrified.

I wonder if the blade's reaction is due to the property of the sword or Vash channeling more of his power into the blade through his link with Kendal (The person not the sword).

https://s2.qwant.com/thumbr/474x337/e/7/84773ff416ee9049bdf07d04650ff80609f73f42226600f8fe d83294164fc0/th.jpg?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid% 3DOIP.3djXyqXw9Z0zP5h3SWa3yQEsDV%26pid%3DApi&q=0&b=1&p=0&a=0

Silva Stormrage
2022-04-06, 03:59 AM
Whelp, I think that is my favorite panel in the comic so far. Not much more to say than that XD

Windscion
2022-04-09, 01:39 AM
So, I'm looking at the people in the last panel, and I am somewhat uncertain how to take it. I see someone carrying a child, but I thought this was Alinua breaking open the prison.
And now I am thinking maybe that's better. The alternative to having kids grow up in prison is probably an orphanage, and in this lawful stupid city, you're probably better off growing up in prison.

Metastachydium
2022-04-09, 04:43 PM
So, I'm looking at the people in the last panel, and I am somewhat uncertain how to take it. I see someone carrying a child, but I thought this was Alinua breaking open the prison.
And now I am thinking maybe that's better. The alternative to having kids grow up in prison is probably an orphanage, and in this lawful stupid city, you're probably better off growing up in prison.

I'm not saying it'd be beyond Zuurith and co. to do that (as far as they are concerned, not being the citizen of somewhere counts as a crime in and of itself, after all), but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here. Looking like a kid is canonically no the same thing as being one in the setting: Kria here, for instance, is a grown-ass adult, thank you very much (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-4-11/).

Fyraltari
2022-04-11, 03:29 AM
Somebody just slap this jerk, please and thank you.

Windscion
2022-04-11, 10:08 AM
You mean, "Where's Will Smith when you need him" ?

Fyraltari
2022-04-11, 10:18 AM
You mean, "Where's Will Smith when you need him" ?

No, I do not.

Kantaki
2022-04-11, 10:26 AM
"I've not yet lost control"
:smallconfused:
Somehow I do not quite believe him. :smallbiggrin:

Silva Stormrage
2022-04-11, 09:07 PM
"I've not yet lost control"
:smallconfused:
Somehow I do not quite believe him. :smallbiggrin:

He has this. After all, he does have a pointy metal stick. What could POSSIBLY stop him :smallbiggrin:

Fyraltari
2022-04-13, 05:20 AM
Thank you!

Metastachydium
2022-04-13, 05:22 AM
Hm. Snow? Actually that's pretty clever, Erin.

Silva Stormrage
2022-04-15, 09:25 AM
I think this is the largest scale spell Erin has cast so far, some of the other "Options" he listed for stopping the flood also had massive area of effects. I think mages in this setting can produce a lot of large scale effects easier than we thought if they have prep time. This isn't quite the Collector's city wide earth sealing spell but it is still a city wide spell.

Fyraltari
2022-04-15, 09:33 AM
I wonder if that's going to affect the duel. Like Tynan's body is still connected to the physical storm, so maybe he'll start freezing and become slower?

Metastachydium
2022-04-15, 10:57 AM
I wonder if that's going to affect the duel. Like Tynan's body is still connected to the physical storm, so maybe he'll start freezing and become slower?

Honestly, I doubt that. For starters, that thing with the arms and legs isn't Tynan's body. It's merely an avatar he made just for the occasion. Further, His city getting destroyed didn't crush or physically impair Vash's "body", as evidenced by the fact that the avatar he was using at the time technically survived him, retaining its capabilities.

Fyraltari
2022-04-15, 02:58 PM
Honestly, I doubt that. For starters, that thing with the arms and legs isn't Tynan's body. It's merely an avatar he made just for the occasion. Further, His city getting destroyed didn't crush or physically impair Vash's "body", as evidenced by the fact that the avatar he was using at the time technically survived him, retaining its capabilities.

Look at Tynan's "hair". It's not an independent body the way Kendal was for Vash, it's literally an extension of the storm cloud.

Metastachydium
2022-04-15, 03:53 PM
Look at Tynan's "hair". It's not an independent body the way Kendal was for Vash, it's literally an extension of the storm cloud.

Yes, but no. Tynan's incarnations and the storm are still two separate things (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-12-6/). And even when he's not incarnated, the storm (as a physical entity) is not so much Tynan as it is his domain. Now, gods are regularly equated with their domains (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-11-9/), but they are at the same time distinct from them to a degree. Case in point, Vash survived the destruction of his and Tynan survived the sundering of the storm.

So all in all, no, I still don't think the cool evening air will affect Tynan adversely.

Silva Stormrage
2022-04-22, 10:25 AM
Huh, looks like Erin is going to be able to get to show off in this fight as well. Glad for him to actually show off a bit, he has been kinda tossed around in combat a bit recently.

Fyraltari
2022-04-22, 11:37 AM
Huh, looks like Erin is going to be able to get to show off in this fight as well. Glad for him to actually show off a bit, he has been kinda tossed around in combat a bit recently.

Frequent nerfs is the plight of the overpowered character.

Drascin
2022-04-22, 06:43 PM

"Recently" is when he's finally been able to do something, actually!

This chapter is, far as I can tell, the first time in the entire comic's runtime that Erin has actually succeeded at things instead of Alinua and Kendal bailing him out, first with the bit with the hunters and the water barrel, then now this.

Silva Stormrage
2022-04-24, 10:23 AM
"Recently" is when he's finally been able to do something, actually!

This chapter is, far as I can tell, the first time in the entire comic's runtime that Erin has actually succeeded at things instead of Alinua and Kendal bailing him out, first with the bit with the hunters and the water barrel, then now this.

Well he did get INTO the storm which is a fairly impressive show of control/preparation but ya I agree with your general point which is why I am happy he is showing competence here XD

Metastachydium
2022-04-24, 11:07 AM
Let's not forget his "rookie mistake" lightning stunt (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-7-25/) in the caverns either!

Fyraltari
2022-04-27, 08:37 AM
Tess "godpuncher" Ruunaser has a nice ring to it.

Silva Stormrage
2022-05-23, 08:35 AM
Whelp, that is not a good sign... hopefully Dainax can actually contribute but I think we might see the emergence of Void Magic again based on the chapter image...

Fyraltari
2022-05-23, 09:21 AM
That moment when you think you've beaten the boss and then Phase 2 starts.

Kantaki
2022-05-23, 09:33 AM
Stop inspiring the baddie, Kendal. :smalleek:

Fyraltari
2022-05-30, 06:41 AM
Did Erin just literally move faster than lightning?

Kantaki
2022-06-01, 05:10 PM
New comic

Okay, that's a pretty sweet looking second form.:smallcool:
Let's see if Tynian can back it up or if he just turned into a bigger target. :smallamused:

Fyraltari
2022-06-08, 03:02 AM
Today on Aurora: Alinua regrets being a healing main.

Kantaki
2022-06-10, 08:50 AM
New comic

Kendal: "She won't have to worry about me if I'm dead.
That counts, right?":smallbiggrin:

Fyraltari
2022-06-10, 09:18 AM
At what point does it go from "heroic behaviour" to "suicidal tendencies"?

Kantaki
2022-06-10, 10:38 AM

I think they depend on your point of view?
Applies only to Jedi though.

Alternatively it's a sliding skale. Like colours.
You know, when is it still red and where does it begin to be orange, something like that.

Alternatively alternatively the former is rooted in the latter and it depends on why you're doing it.
Attacking the angry rage dragon with bugs because he talked about killing children? Probably heroic.
Doing so because he's there? Suicidal.

Silva Stormrage
2022-06-10, 01:02 PM

I mean the main issue isn't that it's suicidal. Kendal doesn't WANT to die. He just doesn't care strongly if he does or not. Somewhat similar to Emiya Shirou (From Fate/Stay Night) really now that I think about it.

Fyraltari
2022-06-29, 03:14 AM
Dragon fight?

Windscion
2022-06-29, 08:35 AM
Gotta be dragon fight.
Dragon Fight!
Dragon Fight!

Fyraltari
2022-07-06, 07:28 AM
I wish to retract my previous statement.

Aeson
2022-07-06, 12:54 PM

What, you think coming to the realization that Erin may not have been entirely honest about why he wanted access to the Archives and what his interest in her religion's legends was as a result of watching his possessed form kill (or at the very least attempt to kill) a god might put something of a damper on their working relationship?

Windscion
2022-07-06, 01:15 PM
What, you think coming to the realization that Erin may not have been entirely honest about why he wanted access to the Archives and what his interest in her religion's legends was as a result of watching his possessed form kill (or at the very least attempt to kill) a god might put something of a damper on their working relationship?

In this group? Keeping secrets is their schtick.

Ailurus
2022-07-06, 04:05 PM

It likely would put a damper on a positive working relationship. However, having keeping tabs on the avatar of your religion's biggest bad guy would make a perfectly legitimate reason to tag along.

Or, alternatively, the glowing eyes may also mean that the librarian is about to get possessed or hijacked by the Light Dragon, in which case we get a 3-way dragon fight and (if he retains any memory of it once it is over) Erin has an existential crisis as he'll have personally seen the thing he refuses to believe exists.

Scarlet Knight
2022-07-07, 08:05 AM

"This means we can no longer have a working relationship."
"Oh, I'm so..."
"Since we don't have a working relationship, I'm under no restriction now for other relationships."
"Oh? Oooooh."

Aeson
2022-07-08, 09:52 AM
I wonder if Dainix is going to turn out to be Fire's avatar.

Metastachydium
2022-07-13, 12:33 PM

Was that an olfactory insult and something about the rain?

Gotta be dragon fight.
Dragon Fight!
Dragon Fight!

Minor correction:
Primordial Fight!
Primordial Fight!

Kantaki
2022-07-13, 01:01 PM
I'm kinda starting to like Void Dragon.
He doesn't even come of as malevolent, more detached, in that "evil" scientist" way.
Still evil, sure, but not dishonest.

He might even be truthful about killing Dainix being a mercy.
Assuming his analysis of events is right that is.
I guess the "literally on fire" thing is much more under control and far less desperate a move than Voidy thinks.
Fire punch to the face incoming I'd wager.:smallamused:

Windscion
2022-07-13, 01:24 PM
I am getting the idea that all the primordinals are creeping back, and as such, Dainix and Alinua aren't irreplacable. They're just the current channels. The forge god was tryna coax fire into being a bit more flexible.

That said, Ken Doll needs to survive.

Fyraltari
2022-07-13, 01:41 PM
You know, I would think that a living embodiment of fire would be less... stoic.

I'm kinda starting to like Void Dragon.
He doesn't even come of as malevolent, more detached, in that "evil" scientist" way.
Still evil, sure, but not dishonest.

Honestly, Walter has been ambiguous from almost day one.

Kantaki
2022-07-19, 05:32 PM
And that's a beautiful "Oh [BLEEP]!" face Voidy is making.
That's what you get for monologing.
Also, yeez. That looks painful.:smalleek:

Silva Stormrage
2022-07-20, 09:37 AM
Huh that was actually a pretty wimpy water attack by the VD compared to what Erin has been shown to use. I wonder if VD has a harder time actually using elemental magic other than Void compared to Erin.

Either that or this was just a "Quick get away from me" spell which was weak because it was very fast to cast.

Silva Stormrage
2022-08-01, 10:28 AM
Ouch, looks like Tynan got over their void corruption pains fairly easily with Erin incapacitated.

Alinua looked like she was healing herself pretty fast but not sure she is currently capable of healing Kendal quick enough from an attack like that.

Scarlet Knight
2022-08-03, 05:22 PM
...Fire punch to the face incoming I'd wager.

Oh, Tynan...you just put down the one person controlling Dainix... and now he has a clear shot.

Fyraltari
2022-08-05, 04:14 AM
Was that Erin stopping the Void Dragon from attacking?

Fyraltari
2022-08-10, 04:22 AM

Scarlet Knight
2022-08-26, 08:17 AM
"Give him back." I was not expecting that.

Aeson
2022-08-26, 08:45 AM
Sounds like Zuurith wants a word.

Kantaki
2022-08-26, 09:06 AM
Maybe the drama can wait until Tynan is actually finished?
Also, Zurinth's next words better be closer to "thank you" or "I'm sorry" and not "you(r body) broke out of my prison. Go back there."

Silva Stormrage
2022-08-29, 01:59 PM
Maybe the drama can wait until Tynan is actually finished?
Also, Zurinth's next words better be closer to "thank you" or "I'm sorry" and not "you(r body) broke out of my prison. Go back there."

You were far too optimistic.

However, Vash is not seemingly indicating that he is limited in his current form. Aka he has all the power he had in his city but now he can use it wherever Kendal is... That's somewhat gamebreaking. I was expecting him to only be able to use this kind of power up for a limited duration or too much use of it would alert the Collector that something is up so it would have to be used sparingly. One because it would make sense from what we know of gods and two to prevent it from being an instant solution wherever power is needed. There could be more complications to be revealed away from Zurith's prying eyes and ears but still, it looks like the main reason Vash won't be constantly possessing Kendal is the rest of the party wanting Kendal to be his own person.

Lapak
2022-08-29, 02:02 PM
You were far too optimistic.

However, Vash is not seemingly indicating that he is limited in his current form. Aka he has all the power he had in his city but now he can use it wherever Kendal is... That's somewhat gamebreaking. I was expecting him to only be able to use this kind of power up for a limited duration or too much use of it would alert the Collector that something is up so it would have to be used sparingly. One because it would make sense from what we know of gods and two to prevent it from being an instant solution wherever power is needed. There could be more complications to be revealed away from Zurith's prying eyes and ears but still, it looks like the main reason Vash won't be constantly possessing Kendal is the rest of the party wanting Kendal to be his own person.No, I think you are spot on. This form clearly is going to have major limitations that aren't being shared with Vash's two primary enemies.

Fyraltari
2022-08-29, 02:58 PM
I can't help but notice that we don't know what happened to Kendal when Vash got back in "his body". I don't think Red would have Kendal just die like that, but he might very well have taken Vash's place in the Collector's prison right now.

It's also possible that this might damage him somehow, maybe render him amnesiac?
Edit: because Kendal is essentially a bug arising from Vash leaving an empty vessel, who knows what the vessel being filled again does to its new conscience?

Also, how willing will Vash be to give back the body to Kendal? He's been the perfect Mr. Nice Guy so far, but I don't think he'll be too keen to go back to the Collector.

Kantaki
2022-08-29, 04:25 PM
Yeah, pretty sure Vash is bluffing.
Not lying about being more powerful than they could possibly imagine, mind you, just omitting stuff that would make T and Z think continuing this might be worth it.

Scarlet Knight
2022-08-29, 07:51 PM
...Also, Zurinth's next words better be closer to "thank you" or "I'm sorry" and not "you(r body) broke out of my prison. Go back there."

We've all worked with someone like Zurinth.:smallsigh:

gomipile
2022-09-04, 11:38 AM
We've all worked with someone like Zurinth.:smallsigh:

In my case, the "someone like Zuurith" I "worked with" was the faceless policies of a large corporation, that none of my immediate superiors had the power to interpret with much compassion or common sense.

I wonder if the comic is going to show what happens with Tahraim and Tynan soon. The tension around the new Vash/Kendal situation has built up a lot, so I expect at least the next page to resolve or start to resolve that.

Personification
2022-09-06, 08:54 PM
In my case, the "someone like Zuurith" I "worked with" was the faceless policies of a large corporation, that none of my immediate superiors had the power to interpret with much compassion or common sense.

I wonder if the comic is going to show what happens with Tahraim and Tynan soon. The tension around the new Vash/Kendal situation has built up a lot, so I expect at least the next page to resolve or start to resolve that.

That's basically Zuurith's domain. He's the god of "the beatings will continue until morale improves".

gomipile
2022-09-10, 02:07 PM
Red's Trope Talk this week on OSP is on the deus ex machina trope.

I find the timing of this release fun and interesting. :smile:

Kantaki
2022-09-10, 03:57 PM
Red's Trope Talk this week on OSP is on the deus ex machina trope.

I find the timing of this release fun and interesting. :smile:

They're usually not quite this literal these days.:smalltongue:

gomipile
2022-09-10, 04:14 PM
They're usually not quite this literal these days.:smalltongue:

I suppose if one wanted to be technical, this might be a deus ex demideus? If Kendal counts as a demigod.

Scarlet Knight
2022-09-23, 07:48 AM
Oh, June, sweetheart. I'm sure he really loved you at that moment...but, they NEVER actually leave their families. :smallfrown:

Fyraltari
2022-09-23, 10:20 AM

I think you called it.

Silva Stormrage
2022-09-23, 02:19 PM
I think you called it.

Not particularly happy about it. I like June as a character and this kind of arc is going to suck for her.

Still this should be interesting and maybe its just dramatic lighting but the Light Dragon seems to have some connection with the moon? It seems unusually bright when they are communing with June.

Fyraltari
2022-09-23, 03:36 PM
Not particularly happy about it. I like June as a character and this kind of arc is going to suck for her.

Still this should be interesting and maybe its just dramatic lighting but the Light Dragon seems to have some connection with the moon? It seems unusually bright when they are communing with June.

That's what I thought too. If the world is made out of the corpses of the six Primordials with the Void Dragon inside, maybe the moon is the Light Dragon.

Fyraltari
2022-10-15, 06:02 AM
See, this sort of thing is why army uniforms usually include more protection than a simple poncho.

Scarlet Knight
2022-10-24, 04:24 PM
So what's with Falst?

Fyraltari
2022-10-24, 05:01 PM
So what's with Falst?
Grumpy cat.

More seriously he might blame Dainix for Kendal's "death" (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-17-5/) or be worried about Dainix killing everyone around him (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-17-32/).

Or maybe it's something yet to be revealed.

Silva Stormrage
2022-10-26, 05:55 AM
Grumpy cat.

More seriously he might blame Dainix for Kendal's "death" (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-17-5/) or be worried about Dainix killing everyone around him (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-17-32/).

Or maybe it's something yet to be revealed.

Could also be about Dainix fighting in the arena against Ferin.

Also new page spoilers

It looks like Erin might not have always been the elemental magus and the monks opened some of his elemental pathways. At least thats how I read this page + Tess's reaction to Erin being the elemental mage when he was young.

Metastachydium
2022-10-26, 05:58 AM
It looks like Erin might not have always been the elemental magus and the monks opened some of his elemental pathways. At least thats how I read this page + Tess's reaction to Erin being the elemental mage when he was young.

I mean, if they can do that, why don't they do that, like, more often?

On an unrelated note, do we know who Al is? I don't seem to recall the name.

Fyraltari
2022-10-26, 06:43 AM
I mean, if they can do that, why don't they do that, like, more often?
That they (may have) managed to do it once doesn't mean it was easy, cheap or replicable.
We were told there's only ever one elemental magus at a time, maybe they can make them appear early, but that means it'll take even longer for another one to show up?

On an unrelated note, do we know who Al is? I don't seem to recall the name.
Rings no bell. Clearly another relative or more likely a friend. I am guessing a member of the Academy since they knew about Erin going into the storm.

Metastachydium
2022-10-26, 10:15 AM
That they (may have) managed to do it once doesn't mean it was easy, cheap or replicable.
We were told there's only ever one elemental magus at a time, maybe they can make them appear early, but that means it'll take even longer for another one to show up?

Hm. Fair enough.

Silva Stormrage
2022-10-26, 03:54 PM
Also the procedure could be dangerous and they might only be able to open a limited number of elemental paths. Lets say Erin had all but water they might have been able to open water for him but it had like a 20% chance of destroying his ability to use magic.

Sure those are estimates that I made up but it could be a reason why they don't do it frequently and the monks don't seem like they are well known enough for a bunch of power hungry people to try it. Erin might have been arrogant and proud enough to do it to make a name for himself.

Fyraltari
2022-10-26, 04:12 PM
Also the procedure could be dangerous and they might only be able to open a limited number of elemental paths. Lets say Erin had all but water they might have been able to open water for him but it had like a 20% chance of destroying his ability to use magic.

Sure those are estimates that I made up but it could be a reason why they don't do it frequently and the monks don't seem like they are well known enough for a bunch of power hungry people to try it.
I think that, with the exception of the Avatar Elemental Magus, a mage may only control one element?

Erin might have been arrogant and proud enough to do it to make a name for himself.
I'm guessing that whatever the soulmonks did to/with Erin wasn't Erin's choice as much as his father's.

Silva Stormrage
2022-10-27, 09:23 AM
I think that, with the exception of the Avatar Elemental Magus, a mage may only control one element?

I'm guessing that whatever the soulmonks did to/with Erin wasn't Erin's choice as much as his father's.

Nope, Humans can have multiple elements. It is said in this lore doc (https://comicaurora.com/the-three-elder-races/). "Humans produce the most powerful, versatile mages, and it is not uncommon for a human mage to have mastery over more than a single element – though only “unadapted” humans have ever been documented as possessing power over more than three."

And yes it might have been an experiment by his father as well. Could have been ordered by Asera as well considering his father is an emissary.

Fyraltari
2022-11-04, 04:39 AM
I get the feeling Tess the Godpuncher is staying in this group whether Erin wants it or not.

gomipile
2022-11-05, 07:29 PM
I get the feeling Tess the Godpuncher is staying in this group whether Erin wants it or not.

She is, after all, also on the “protagonists” list.

Drascin
2022-11-09, 12:26 AM

I mean, I get Erin. If I had a bomb strapped to my chest I also would want my beloved sister to not be anywhere near the blast radius.

Scarlet Knight
2022-11-11, 03:33 PM
"So, if I didn't step in, Tynan would have killed you all...and that would be...fine?"

Fyraltari
2022-11-11, 04:07 PM
"So, if I didn't step in, Tynan would have killed you all...and that would be...fine?"

I mean, he's right that Dainix went beast-mode in the arena for no clear reason. Win or lose, he was to be set free, and yet he fought to kill.

Metastachydium
2022-11-11, 04:16 PM

Huh? Tess, Erin and Kendal were handling RapidRegeneration!Tynan just fine, and LightningDragon!Tynan swatted Dainix away with ease in his penultimate round. It was the Void Dragon who shut him down hard.

Scarlet Knight
2022-11-11, 09:54 PM
I stand corrected. They needed his demon but not there.

Gez
2022-11-12, 09:30 AM
I mean, he's right that Dainix went beast-mode in the arena for no clear reason. Win or lose, he was to be set free, and yet he fought to kill.

He had been led to believe, by both a fake guard (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-14-29/) and the arena master (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-14-30/), that he needed to fight "for real this time", with the threat of not being freed after all (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-14-31/) if he didn't.

Fyraltari
2022-11-12, 10:51 AM
He had been led to believe, by both a fake guard (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-14-29/) and the arena master (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-14-30/), that he needed to fight "for real this time", with the threat of not being freed after all (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-14-31/) if he didn't.

Problem with that is all he had to do to pleas the Arenamaster was to put up a good fight (who told him upfront that if he lost it wouldn't be a problem). But the very page you link has the Arenamaster state he believes Dainix has no magic power and the announcer says no one ever saw Dainix's demon form in the arena (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-15-33/).

Therefore all he had to do was fight well and let Kendal's superior strength and durability beat him, but he unleashed the demon. He was fighting way harder than he needed to.

theNater
2022-11-12, 03:39 PM
Problem with that is all he had to do to pleas the Arenamaster was to put up a good fight (who told him upfront that if he lost it wouldn't be a problem). But the very page you link has the Arenamaster state he believes Dainix has no magic power and the announcer says no one ever saw Dainix's demon form in the arena (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-15-33/).

Therefore all he had to do was fight well and let Kendal's superior strength and durability beat him, but he unleashed the demon. He was fighting way harder than he needed to.
Even fighting as hard as he did, he was not any danger to Kendal. What makes you think he could have put up a good fight, as required, while holding back?

Fyraltari
2022-11-12, 03:48 PM
Even fighting as hard as he did, he was not any danger to Kendal. What makes you think he could have put up a good fight, as required, while holding back?

Because Kendal wouldn't try to kill him?

Edit: Like all he had to do was attack with his spear a few times, parry Kendal sword's a few times and once Kendal got a couple good punches in, just lay down and not stand up. The Arenamaster would have had what he wanted and that would have been that* Instead he called upon the fires of hell.

*As far as he knew, of course, Tynan renders the whole thing moot.

theNater
2022-11-12, 05:53 PM
Because Kendal wouldn't try to kill him?

Edit: Like all he had to do was attack with his spear a few times, parry Kendal sword's a few times and once Kendal got a couple good punches in, just lay down and not stand up. The Arenamaster would have had what he wanted and that would have been that* Instead he called upon the fires of hell.

*As far as he knew, of course, Tynan renders the whole thing moot.
I'm clearly not understanding what you're suggesting. He did attack with his spear a few times, and did not receive sword strikes to parry or punches to go down to.

It sounds to me like you're saying he should have gone in less aggressively, but I don't see how that would make Kendal more likely to counterattack.

Fyraltari
2022-11-12, 05:58 PM
I'm clearly not understanding what you're suggesting. He did attack with his spear a few times, and did not receive sword strikes to parry or punches to go down to.

It sounds to me like you're saying he should have gone in less aggressively, but I don't see how that would make Kendal more likely to counterattack.

He's glowing and spouting fire. I'm saying he shouldn't have done that.

Edit: Seriously compare
Dainix's (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-12-31/) first (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-12-32/) fight (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-12-33/) where except for sneakily damaging his opponent's weapon, he fights like a normal human being with (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-15-26/) his (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-15-27/) second (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-15-28/) fight (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-15-29/) where (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-15-32/) he (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-15-33/) morphs into a demon.

theNater
2022-11-12, 06:38 PM
He's glowing and spouting fire. I'm saying he shouldn't have done that.

Edit: Seriously compare
Dainix's (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-12-31/) first (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-12-32/) fight (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-12-33/) where except for sneakily damaging his opponent's weapon, he fights like a normal human being with (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-15-26/) his (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-15-27/) second (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-15-28/) fight (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-15-29/) where (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-15-32/) he (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-15-33/) morphs into a demon.
That wasn't deliberate. That's not a choice he made; he doesn't know how to control it at that point.

Recall Tahraim teaching him "controlling your inner demons 101" in the next chapter (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-16-7/).

Fyraltari
2022-11-12, 07:01 PM
That wasn't deliberate. That's not a choice he made; he doesn't know how to control it at that point.

Except that we've seen him use it without issue and he's never lost control at any time in ll the time he's been in this prison before.

Metastachydium
2022-11-13, 05:55 AM
The way I see it, he was real desperate to get out and as such, didn't bother to control it all that carefully; however, once the demon actually broke through and his hand went up in flames, he imploded immediately and began moping until Tahraim scraped him off the floor.

Lapak
2022-11-14, 10:18 AM
The way I see it, he was real desperate to get out and as such, didn't bother to control it all that carefully; however, once the demon actually broke through and his hand went up in flames, he imploded immediately and began moping until Tahraim scraped him off the floor.
I think you're all missing his motivation as he expressed it himself in this strip. (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-15-29/)

He didn't go into that fight hoping he'd get freed; he went into that fight thinking that he was finally facing an opponent who could potentially kill a Demon. And he wanted to push that opponent to do exactly that. But once the fire started getting more control than he wanted, he wasn't sure where to go with it. I'm pretty sure his ideal scenario was 'push Kendal just hard enough to make him fight seriously, but without going full Demon.'

Silva Stormrage
2023-01-20, 09:24 AM
Whelp, not sure if this will get through Kendal's thick metal reinforced skull but it would be nice.

And I am 99% sure that is the boy who first got the chimeric plague in Vash. Surprised he is here honestly, so it seems that these aren't just the souls trapped in the city but everyone who has ever lived in Vash?

Aeson
2023-01-20, 06:56 PM
Whelp, not sure if this will get through Kendal's thick metal reinforced skull but it would be nice.

And I am 99% sure that is the boy who first got the chimeric plague in Vash. Surprised he is here honestly, so it seems that these aren't just the souls trapped in the city but everyone who has ever lived in Vash?
While it's possible that that's the kid who first got the chimeric plague, I think it's more likely the kid third from the right in the second panel here (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-1-2/).

Silva Stormrage
2023-01-22, 01:09 AM
While it's possible that that's the kid who first got the chimeric plague, I think it's more likely the kid third from the right in the second panel here (https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-1-2/).

Ah you are right that probably makes more sense.

Fyraltari
2023-01-24, 06:20 AM
Wait, is that Vash or Kendal?

Scarlet Knight
2023-01-24, 07:09 AM

I read it as Kendal but they're one and the same to the people of Vash.

Lapak
2023-01-24, 08:12 AM
Definitely Kendal. Last comic:

I only exist because you died.
He's feeling existential guilt that he was created out of their (and Vash's) death, yet can't do anything for them. At which point they reassure them that he does do something for them BY EXISTING, which he badly needs to hear. (He shouldn't need outside justification for existing, but it's not surprising that he does.)

Silva Stormrage
2023-01-24, 11:43 AM
Ya I don't think they see much of a difference between Kendal/Vash atm. Regardless they probably see him as a holy figure akin to a super emissary or something.

Fyraltari
2023-02-01, 09:06 AM
I didn't expect Life to look so... humanoid.

Also, I really like how self-aware Red is about her own comic.

Silva Stormrage
2023-02-01, 10:21 AM
I didn't expect Life to look so... humanoid.

To be fair they have three ears and from the last panel in this shot it looks like her arm is flowing/shapeshifting. She very well might only look like that to not be horrifying for Aliuna. It wouldn't surprise me at all if she had no "True" form.

Still pretty interesting artwork, and it looks like we finally get to learn more about Life's goals instead of Life giving Aliuna the silent treatment like before.

gomipile
2023-02-01, 07:03 PM

Yeah. "who left that matte painting there"

The captions and alt-text for this comic can be pretty great. 😁

Scarlet Knight
2023-02-07, 08:23 AM
Where do I send my request for an Aliuna/bondage screensaver?

@v Thank You!

Fyraltari
2023-02-08, 06:29 AM
Where do I send my request for an Aliuna/bondage screensaver?
That'd be here. (https://comicaurora.com/contact/)

Silva Stormrage
2023-02-15, 03:22 AM
Okay the last panel of life is amazing. Love the waterfall eye

Fyraltari
2023-02-17, 05:45 AM
Personally I would try the button, even if it's old, before trying to move an entire wall of solid stone, but maybe it's just me.

Scarlet Knight
2023-02-17, 07:00 AM
Yes, I do not understand the comic today. Not using the button is one. What is Falst "scritching" and what is Dainix's look in panel 5?

Fyraltari
2023-02-17, 08:05 AM
Yes, I do not understand the comic today. Not using the button is one. What is Falst "scritching" and what is Dainix's look in panel 5?

Falst is scritching the opening button, and Dainix is looking at Falst straining. I'm not sure what to make of it, but my best guess is "Dainix found a diplomatic way to tell Falst he should be the one doing the physically demanding thing without implying that Falst is weak."

theNater
2023-02-17, 10:54 AM
Personally I would try the button, even if it's old, before trying to move an entire wall of solid stone, but maybe it's just me.
I don't think it's a button; note how it buzzes when Dainix gets close, but not when Falst does. I'd guess some sort of biometric sensor, where Dainix is getting a definite no and Falst is getting a "could not properly scan, please try again".

Aeson
2023-02-17, 01:17 PM
Falst is getting a "could not properly scan, please try again".
Actually, I think the 'ancient' text says "welcome."

Grey_Wolf_c
2023-02-17, 01:35 PM

It's not a wall, it's a door, made of ancient materials; I'm thinking metal, more than stone. And I'd say that Falst is probably generally correct to believe to be most likely unpowered and/or inoperative, and thus that it is easier to pry open than to try to get the electronics to work after N millenia. That he seems to be wrong in this specific case doesn't subtract (much) from his approach of "eh, let's just force it open" as a first approach.

Also, it seems that all this tech thinks Falst is an ancient (probably due to his high magic resistance) and that's why it is being so welcoming. Which raises interesting questions about the person that created all the ferins* - were they deliberately trying to restore the ancient race, or was that just an unintended consequence?

GW

*The collector, until proved otherwise, mostly because she seems to have had her hand in so many pies so far.

Fyraltari
2023-02-17, 03:46 PM
It's not a wall, it's a door, made of ancient materials; I'm thinking metal, more than stone. And I'd say that Falst is probably generally correct to believe to be most likely unpowered and/or inoperative, and thus that it is easier to pry open than to try to get the electronics to work after N millenia. That he seems to be wrong in this specific case doesn't subtract (much) from his approach of "eh, let's just force it open" as a first approach.

But pressing the button would have costed nothing. And the robot was still powered, so it stands to reason the door could be too. I mean, the thing's glowing.

Grey_Wolf_c
2023-02-17, 10:58 PM
But pressing the button would have costed nothing. And the robot was still powered, so it stands to reason the door could be too. I mean, the thing's glowing.

I'm unsure that's a button, though. Worse, your assumption that it would cost nothing is unwarranted. It could set off alarms, traps, call for reinforcements, or any number of other nasties. Could it still be worth it? Maybe. But prying open the door enough to slip through is a perfectly valid opening gambit, probably less risky, in fact, than messing with glowy things you don't understand.

GW

Metastachydium
2023-02-19, 12:08 PM
I'm unsure that's a button, though. Worse, your assumption that it would cost nothing is unwarranted. It could set off alarms, traps, call for reinforcements, or any number of other nasties. Could it still be worth it? Maybe. But prying open the door enough to slip through is a perfectly valid opening gambit, probably less risky, in fact, than messing with glowy things you don't understand.

GW

At that point, Dainix already tried to mess with glowy things he doesn't understand, though. The die was CAST!

Spamotron
2023-02-19, 03:11 PM
*The collector, until proved otherwise, mostly because she seems to have had her hand in so many pies so far.

Red has an ask me anything Tumblr (https://comicaurora.tumblr.com/) and people ask her if the creator of the Ferin and the Collector are the same person every couple of months. Red replies every time that the creation the Ferin happened centuries before the Collector was even born. Though she's never said no outright. Speculate away if time travel is involved.

Grey_Wolf_c
2023-02-20, 12:03 PM
Red has an ask me anything Tumblr (https://comicaurora.tumblr.com/) and people ask her if the creator of the Ferin and the Collector are the same person every couple of months. Red replies every time that the creation the Ferin happened centuries before the Collector was even born. Though she's never said no outright. Speculate away if time travel is involved.

Was unaware of the WoG; knowing this, I'll move my assumption to "ad-hoc plot-unrelated justification for existence of cat-people (and others)". I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually does become plot-related, but won't hold my breath.

GW

Scarlet Knight
2023-03-08, 07:04 AM
I sometimes have trouble understanding images in this comic, perhaps because of the darkness. For example, what is the robot smashing in panel 7?

@v Thank you!

Fyraltari
2023-03-08, 08:13 AM
Falst be like "Are you calling me old?"

I sometimes have trouble understanding images in this comic, perhaps because of the darkness. For example, what is the robot smashing in panel 7?

Nothing, it collapsed to the floor.

Silva Stormrage
2023-03-31, 12:56 PM
Okay, Erin's stance here is very interesting, not sure how much was intended at the start but he seems to be working with what he has got and the Void Dragon doesn't really have an easy option here.

If Erin dies he can't just causally restart the storm I think and grabbing the another elemental magus is going to take a long time.

gomipile
2023-04-11, 04:21 PM
Okay, Erin's stance here is very interesting, not sure how much was intended at the start but he seems to be working with what he has got and the Void Dragon doesn't really have an easy option here.

If Erin dies he can't just causally restart the storm I think and grabbing the another elemental magus is going to take a long time.

I guess the latest pages imply he needs an elemental magus. But(I think) the only thing shown that made that important was that Erin needed to be one to get to the center of the storm and be infected by VD.

So, if the VD agrees that an elemental magus is necessary, then maybe the storm will automatically reappear if Erin dies.

My understanding is only approximate, since I've only read each page once. This does seem like a story I'll want to re-read at some point, but I just haven't yet.

Silva Stormrage
2023-04-11, 10:24 PM
I guess the latest pages imply he needs an elemental magus. But(I think) the only thing shown that made that important was that Erin needed to be one to get to the center of the storm and be infected by VD.

So, if the VD agrees that an elemental magus is necessary, then maybe the storm will automatically reappear if Erin dies.

My understanding is only approximate, since I've only read each page once. This does seem like a story I'll want to re-read at some point, but I just haven't yet.

An elemental magus has already been confirmed to be needed. Only an elemental magus can undo Void's adamantine prison as it needs someone capable of controlling all the elements at once. Since Erin "Fixed" the device causing the storm I guess it could make sense that the VD could break it again but it feels like the very first thing that Erin's friends would do is explain that situation and spread it around the world to not go into the storm so seems fairly risky.

Honestly not sure why the paladins don't voice that opinion more openly but I guess no one would believe them.

Fyraltari
2023-04-12, 10:24 AM
Honestly not sure why the paladins don't voice that opinion more openly but I guess no one would believe them.

Did the paladins even know the storm was linked to Walter?

Aeson
2023-04-13, 10:21 PM
Did the paladins even know the storm was linked to Walter?
Probably.

Huracan told them that the Dark Dragon was linked to the event which created the Storm:
https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-14-21/

Their god knows that the storm vanishing is related to a trap and the Dark Dragon choosing an avatar:
https://comicaurora.com/aurora/1-7-33/

gomipile
2023-05-21, 04:45 PM
I'm really enjoying how this comic is going. I don't think it's necessary for critics to have to put their money where their mouth is like Red is doing. But, since she is, it's wonderful to see her making a lovely job of it.

Fyraltari
2023-06-12, 06:28 AM
This comic really got dark, didn't it?

Kantaki
2023-06-12, 10:29 AM
This comic really got dark, didn't it?

Well, it's all night and underground scenes right now.:smallbiggrin:
But really, I don't think I'd say it got dark. Not really.
There's just less light to hide it.

gomipile
2023-07-04, 07:48 AM
Ponk

Apparently the message bird spell doesn't have great pathfinding.

Fyraltari
2023-07-07, 04:09 PM
Anyone else wants today's page as a poster?

Silva Stormrage
2023-07-07, 08:40 PM
Anyone else wants today's page as a poster?

I certainly do, that page is gorgeous

Silva Stormrage
2023-07-08, 09:14 PM
Apparently our wish was granted. :smallbiggrin:

https://www.redbubble.com/shop/ap/148257489

gomipile
2023-07-08, 10:58 PM
Apparently our wish was granted. :smallbiggrin:

https://www.redbubble.com/shop/ap/148257489

Hahaha, that's great!

I might just get a canvas or metal print if I remember after I get a better job.

Edit:
The current in-comic events with Falst and Dainix trapped underground are stretching a bit too far with too little dialogue for my taste. I feel like this could have been handled in just a few weeks, maybe a couple months. And yet, the party's been spilt by this since last November.

Maybe there'll be some big payoff, idk.

It seems like the underground scenes have been bogged down by too many action scenes with hardly any dialogue or forward plot motion. Sure, stuff has happened, but it's had to add up over a looot of panels.

gomipile
2023-08-20, 07:56 AM
It looks like there will be some more progress on Kendal's dream/vision starting tomorrow.

Silva Stormrage
2023-08-30, 05:11 PM
Hahaha, that's great!

I might just get a canvas or metal print if I remember after I get a better job.

Edit:
The current in-comic events with Falst and Dainix trapped underground are stretching a bit too far with too little dialogue for my taste. I feel like this could have been handled in just a few weeks, maybe a couple months. And yet, the party's been spilt by this since last November.

Maybe there'll be some big payoff, idk.

It seems like the underground scenes have been bogged down by too many action scenes with hardly any dialogue or forward plot motion. Sure, stuff has happened, but it's had to add up over a looot of panels.

Oh wow I didn't realize it was from November... ya this bit has stretched on a bit too long. Despite the wonderful character development from both Falst and Dainix I am not sure it needed to be this drawn out.