PDA

View Full Version : Healer Unicorn Companion

Bromley20
2021-08-27, 01:49 PM
I'm currently playing a healer from miniatures handbook and will soon get the unicorn companion. How useful is the celestial unicorn overall? I know it gets some basic healing, status removal, and a constant magic circle against evil effect. I already have those thanks to my class and the saint template. It seems like the main benefit is a few extra heals each day that don't take up my actions.

I know there are replacements to it that I can grab later. I'm currently thinking about taking the gynosphinx when I can so I can get more utility. I know the class didn't receive much support, but was the list of alternate companions ever expanded? I know their spell list was expanded in SpC, but I can't find anything that expanded their companion list anywhere. If not, what are some recommendations for making the most of the unicorn?

Psyren
2021-08-27, 03:09 PM
The big boost to their list comes from Book of Exalted Deeds - because they are a prepared divine class, they get access to every Sanctified spell in that book, which boosts their offensive capability and utility considerably. I believe Champions of Valor contains a few sanctified spells as well.

Also, I wouldn't underestimate the unicorn's magic circle just because you have one too. 10ft. radius is not very large, so both of you having one increases your odds of covering the whole party, especially since it can likely be in melee more safely than you can (especially with some barding.)

With all that said, gynosphinxes have useful powers too and can fly, so it's really up to you.

RNightstalker
2021-08-29, 04:20 PM
Breed it with a Pegasus to have Pegacorn offspring.

holbita
2021-08-31, 04:09 AM
Their spell list was not updated in SpC, so their only extra spells are as mentioned as Psyren on BoED (and what a good addition they are).

Regarding the unicorn, if you can get permission from your DM to take leadership for a Unicorn cohort and apply then the special mount benefits to it then you will have what I consider the best way to play an unicorn in the game (although it will only be at high levels when it really gets some extra HD and class levels), given that you are playing a healer and that technically "there is nothing saying that your special mount cannot be an already existing cohort unicorn, wink wink" I would recommend you to push for this.

Gnaeus
2021-08-31, 07:46 AM
Breed it with a Pegasus to have Pegacorn offspring.

Channeling my 12 year old daughter, who has watched MLP repeatedly.
(Vicious Eyeroll) “It’s called an ALICORN, dad!”

Dunsparce
2021-08-31, 09:42 AM
Their spell list was not updated in SpC, so their only extra spells are as mentioned as Psyren on BoED (and what a good addition they are).

Actually, it kinda was. When listing various non-core casting classes and what spells to give them, under Healer it said to add anything for healing, removing status effects, and warding, there are various guides that made a list of all spells found in the book that fall under those descriptions. Healer and Wu Jen are the only non-core classes to get spell list expansions from Spell Compendium in this manner.

Also, Heroes of Battle added Greater Status to the Healer spell list as a level 6 spell.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-08-31, 09:52 AM
Actually, it kinda was. When listing various non-core casting classes and what spells to give them, under Healer it said to add anything for healing, removing status effects, and warding, there are various guides that made a list of all spells found in the book that fall under those descriptions. Healer and Wu Jen are the only non-core classes to get spell list expansions from Spell Compendium in this manner.

Also, Heroes of Battle added Greater Status to the Healer spell list as a level 6 spell.

Note that adding any of the SpC spells to the Healer (or Wu Jen, Shugenja, Shaman, Sohei, Warmage or Spellthief base classes) is a suggestion, not an explicit addition of spells.

Spell Compendium deals exclusively with spells used by the classes and prestige classes introduced in the Player’s Handbook and Dungeon Master’s Guide, but even if you’re playing a different spellcasting class, you can still use this book. The advice below should help you decide how to adopt spells for your character.

If the spellcasting class or prestige class you’re playing isn’t mentioned here, find a similar class and follow its advice. Also, many new classes and prestige classes reference the spell lists of existing classes. If your spellcaster uses the spell list of a character class mentioned in Chapter 2, your character gains access to all the spells presented for that class. When deciding if other classes should have spells added to their spell lists, consider the advice below.

Psyren
2021-08-31, 10:16 AM
It's true that it's just a consideration/suggestion, but most GMs will go for it. It shows that WotC at least thought about them during development, and Healer could use the help.

emulord
2021-09-01, 10:24 PM
Having DM'd a short 3 session campaign from 9-10, the unicorn was relevant, its jump+move speed allows the Healer to get to where she's needed in battle, it successfully broke open a door with its high Str, and after barding+party buffs it was decent at combat. Low HP was risky, but with DR, spell resistance, energy resistance, it allowed the rogue to flank, and tended to work well against groups of low level enemies. Against a boss it was in the sidelines healing, but thats fine as its damage is low anyway.

Carry an Acorn of Far travel to support its Teleport.

RNightstalker
2021-09-02, 06:47 PM
Channeling my 12 year old daughter, who has watched MLP repeatedly.
(Vicious Eyeroll) “It’s called an ALICORN, dad!”

Because MLP is totally RAW

Gnaeus
2021-09-02, 07:00 PM
Because MLP is totally RAW

Look, pit fiends, dragons, forumgoers who don’t understand they are wrong? All these things I will face without fear. But an angry preteen in the grip of fandom induced rage (shudders).

Also, she has ponyfinder. She will dispute some pony RAW.

Thurbane
2021-09-02, 07:34 PM
Just as an aside, in-game, alicorn is the term for a unicorn's horn/horn material.

RNightstalker
2021-09-09, 03:05 PM
Just as an aside, in-game, alicorn is the term for a unicorn's horn/horn material.

Thanks for the backup lol, do you have a source before you're asked by someone else?

Akal Saris
2021-09-09, 04:37 PM
I have a short guide to the Healer class in my signature that could have some useful ideas. I don't go into too much depth on the unicorn companion but I think it has the potential to be a very helpful addition to the party's toolset. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any further mount options ever suggested for the class. If you have an open feat, I think the suggestion in this thread to use leadership for a unicorn cohort and asking if it's possible to apply the special mount benefits to it would make good sense.

Gnaeus: I was talking with a friend last night about the Pathfinder 'Vampire Hunter D' crossover books, and we were brainstorming other fandoms that would work with PF. I didn't think MLP would be one of them, but it's great that it (a) exists and (b) kids enjoy it!

Thurbane
2021-09-09, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the backup lol, do you have a source before you're asked by someone else?

Struggling to find one in 3E, apart from a mention of a "crown made of alicorn" in Champions of Ruin. The term was most definitely around in 2E, and I think 1E. It may be more of a FR thing than general usage, now that I think about it. I don't have my 2E/1E books handy to check.

Palanan
2021-09-09, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by Thurbane
Struggling to find one in 3E, apart from a mention of a "crown made of alicorn" in Champions of Ruin.

Elsewhere in 3E, unicorn horns are defined as alicorns on p. 137 of Dragons of Faerûn. The term also shows up in the spell Alicorn Lance, part of the web expansion for the Silver Marches sourcebook.

The term also appears in the AD&D Demihuman Deities book—apparently there is an order called the Knights of the Alicorn—as well as Powers and Pantheons, where it seems to be an earlier version of the Alicorn Lance spell.

Bromley20
2021-09-10, 07:41 PM
Regarding the unicorn, if you can get permission from your DM to take leadership for a Unicorn cohort and apply then the special mount benefits to it then you will have what I consider the best way to play an unicorn in the game (although it will only be at high levels when it really gets some extra HD and class levels), given that you are playing a healer and that technically "there is nothing saying that your special mount cannot be an already existing cohort unicorn, wink wink" I would recommend you to push for this.

Sadly, I don't think I'll be able to do this. I already have an artificer cohort to provide item creation for the party. Thankfully, we haven't run into issues with xp yet thanks to retain essence and their crafting reserve. If I didn't already have the artificer, I would definitely try this though. It seems like a nice boost.

I have a short guide to the Healer class in my signature that could have some useful ideas. I don't go into too much depth on the unicorn companion but I think it has the potential to be a very helpful addition to the party's toolset.

That has been a pretty helpful guide for me so far. It is one of the handbooks I used when I was creating the character. I end up referring back to it occasionally for things like feat and item suggestions. I just wish there were more resources like it available for the class. I understand healer isn't the best class out there, but even truenamer has more than 1 handbook written on it. I may try making a short guide once I have enough experience with the class at various levels to properly comment on it.