PDA

View Full Version : A few mechanical questions regarding lvl 20 campaign

HoboKnight
2021-08-27, 04:23 PM
Heyya, guys,

I'm prepping up the material for a short lvl 20 campaign and I'd appreciate your mechanical comments on this.

I'll give just a short summary of a plot: a BBEG(millenias old elf of immense power, reached lvl 20 after a few decades, traveled Sigil, Athas and many other realms) has cast Glyph of madness upon the sun. Wherever this sun shines, creatures must roll saves or go full on Event Horizon. Sun, under this spell, also spawns larvae, which fall to the world and crawl into every nook and cranny (sea included), to affect creatures there too. Elf is a powerful caster (can have stats of CR 30+).

He did it because, he never experienced world go mad. His INT and WIS are immense and he took a number of precausions to protect himself against possy of lvl20s/Elminsters/gods.

One thing he did, he had cast A TON of Clones, to survive potential death. Also, in order to curb the wrath of gods, he made a pact with a group of atropals, who lurk in their realm and will engage anyone who will be chasing him.

Questions:
What stats would such a spell (Glyph) have? How would our caster prevent gods just dispelling it? How it would be guarded?

How would BBEG prevent his death AND be able to witness the madness as it takes root? Float with atropals and scry? Roam the world in Clone forms? Some other way?

Are five atropals in their realm big enough a detterent?

How would you shape the whole setup of my BBEG?

HoboKnight
2021-08-29, 03:34 AM
Hopeful bump.

Kane0
2021-08-29, 05:00 AM
What stats would such a spell (Glyph) have?

Does it matter? All the players need to know is if it is within the capability of wish/divine intervention to be messed with.

How would our caster prevent gods just dispelling it?

Most likely a gods assistance, logically speaking. There are plenty of planar powers of that magnitude though, looks like a cabal of atropals are your choice here?

How it would be guarded?

The glyph on the sun you mean? Presumably by creatures immune to fire and/or radiant damage, and magic that will foil attempts at tampering or at least alert the BBEG.

How would BBEG prevent his death AND be able to witness the madness as it takes root?

Scrying, ethereal/astral observation or using a proxy if there is the chance it could penetrate that. Something like a familiar enhanced so he can use their senses beyond planar borders shouldnt raise too many eyebrows.

Are five atropals in their realm big enough a detterent?

Thats entirely within your power to answer. Strictly speaking in terms of Forgotten Realms lore i wouldnt have a clue, but if this is your world or one made specifically for this game then you can simply say yes it is, as long as you dont contradict yourself elsewhere.

HoboKnight
2021-08-30, 06:26 AM
Thank you for the answer, Kane. Really appreciate the effort. Let me comment on this.

Does it matter? All the players need to know is if it is within the capability of wish/divine intervention to be messed with.
Well, yeah. But Glyph will also need to be warded against gods ramming in it. Perhaps, a good solution might be if our BBEG replicated parts of powers, Lady of Pain is using in Sigil and placed it upon the Sun. Maybe Glyph is the only spell, that can exist there and it might also be lvl 10 spell (created by using mythal). I'm pulling this out of my a**, I'm pretty sure there are loremasters here that can come up with something better.

Most likely a gods assistance, logically speaking. There are plenty of planar powers of that magnitude though, looks like a cabal of atropals are your choice here?

Cabal of atropals might be an answer, yes, but in this case the defence of the Glyph should have their "signature" (epic level necrotic magic?)

The glyph on the sun you mean? Presumably by creatures immune to fire and/or radiant damage, and magic that will foil attempts at tampering or at least alert the BBEG.
Hmm, thousands of fire-fluffed solars? :D I dunno, such defences seem far too weak. Thatswhy I have mentioned the LoP option. But my knowledge is jsut not wast enough.

Scrying, ethereal/astral observation or using a proxy if there is the chance it could penetrate that. Something like a familiar enhanced so he can use their senses beyond planar borders shouldnt raise too many eyebrows.
This sounds really cool. Good solution.

Thats entirely within your power to answer. Strictly speaking in terms of Forgotten Realms lore i wouldnt have a clue, but if this is your world or one made specifically for this game then you can simply say yes it is, as long as you dont contradict yourself elsewhere.

Well, I'm speaking mechanically. Given the stats, fould these bad boys be enough to defeat gods or even group of gods assaulting them?

kazaryu
2021-08-30, 06:40 AM
quick question...is this in a homebrew setting? i mean, obviously there is some amount of homebrew occuring here. but if you're looking for creatures on (or around) the same narrative power as the gods, the answer heavily depends on settings. thats why im asking.

Kane0
2021-08-30, 07:09 AM
Well, I'm speaking mechanically. Given the stats, fould these bad boys be enough to defeat gods or even group of gods assaulting them?

If youd like a point of comparison Tiamat has a statblock, as flawed as it is.

Grod_The_Giant
2021-08-30, 07:46 AM
You are past the point where 5e has functional rules. We can't really give you mechanical answers because there are no mechanical answers. You're making up your own mythology; as long as it's cool and internally consistent, you're golden.