PDA

View Full Version : The detective. my first base class

smart thog
2007-11-15, 07:41 PM
This is meant to be like Sherlock Holmes, or Mike Hammer.

The detective is the kind of person who knows everything and then some. If you want to know how to plan a attack that has 2 against 200 and come out with no casualties, you want to be a detective. If you want to know where the ancient sword Eagle's Scream is buried, you want to be a detective. If you want to figure out the secrets of "I Am The Walrus" you want to be a detective.

The detective

skill points per level 10
Skills (Appraise, Bluff, Concentration, Decipher script, Diplomacy, Disguise, Forgery, Gather information, Knowledge all (taken individually), Listen, open lock, Search, Sense motive, Slight of Hand, Speak language, Spot.)
HD d6
BaB bad
Good saves will
Bad saves fort, ref
Armor Pro, light
Weapon Pro, Simple and martial, no two handed meele of either

Class features

Elementary
all detectives can, starting at first level, gain basic info about a subject they can see, by using Sense motive,Listen, Spot and various knowledge. The DM determines the DCs of the skills. When you make these checks you gain knowledge of the subjects alignment, class, race, wand what the subject has been doing for the last few days.

A practical usage

A detective of any level can the use the knowledge is power rules on this website as many times per day as they want. They lose this ability if the have more levels in any other base class or prestige class then they do in this class.

Martial stuff

starting at second level, the detective gains Diamond mind maneuvers and stances as a warblade of half his detective level. this also applies to maneuvers readied.

Back up

Also at second the Detective may cast Summon Monster 1 ( http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonMonsterI.htm ) given 4 hours perpetration, at place of his his choosing, until activated. the summoning must occur at that place, within 1 week of the detectives preparation. every even level starting at level 4, the is ability goes up one level, (to summon monster 2, then summon monster 3, and so on until it reaches summon monster 9)

surprise

At 20th level, the Detective may use gate ( http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/gate.htm ) for the calling function only, a number of times per day equal to his Int bonus.

feat
Adaptive
Prerequisites, Detective level 1
Your Int bonus is treated as 3 points higher for the purpose of extra skill points.
Special, you may take this feat more than once.

What do you think. Is it overpowered, or is it underpowered. Is it balanced.

Nebo_
2007-11-15, 08:39 PM
Elementary
all detectives can, starting at first level, gain basic info about a subject they can see, by using Sense motive,Listen, Spot and various knowledge. The DM determines the DCs of the skills. When you make these checks you gain knowledge of the subjects alignment, class, race, wand what the subject has been doing for the last few days.

What? This doesn't give you any information about what this can actually do. How long does it take? How accurate is the information? What are the DCs?
Telling the DM to set DCs is just a cop out - you're the one making the class, not the DM. Do up a table!

A practical usage

A detective of any level can the use the knowledge is power rules on this website as many times per day as they want. They lose this ability if the have more levels in any other base class or prestige class then they do in this class.

What knowledge is power rules? The least you could do it provide a link... why do they lose the ability by multiclassing?

Martial stuff

starting at second level, the detective gains Diamond mind maneuvers and stances as a warblade of half his detective level. this also applies to maneuvers readied.

You seem to be going out of your way to avoid martial aptitude in the proficiencies and BAB part of the class, why give this to them now? Also, rename this.

Back up

Also at second the Detective may cast Summon Monster 1 ( http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonMonsterI.htm ) given 4 hours perpetration, at place of his his choosing, until activated. the summoning must occur at that place, within 1 week of the detectives preparation. every even level starting at level 4, the is ability goes up one level, (to summon monster 2, then summon monster 3, and so on until it reaches summon monster 9)

I really don't know what this actually does, so I can't comment.

surprise

At 20th level, the Detective may use gate ( http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/gate.htm ) for the calling function only, a number of times per day equal to his Int bonus.

Wow, that's a hell of a suprise. Why does it get Gate? And why so many times per day?

feat
Adaptive
Prerequisites, Detective level 1
Your Int bonus is treated as 3 points higher for the purpose of extra skill points.
Special, you may take this feat more than once.

Seems ok. Why is it an odd number, though?

Overall, this class doesn't make much sense at all. You give it abilities that don't fit the premise of the class, and the one that do fit are badly worded to the point that they aren't usable.

smart thog
2007-11-16, 02:31 PM
What? This doesn't give you any information about what this can actually do. How long does it take? How accurate is the information? What are the DCs?
Telling the DM to set DCs is just a cop out - you're the one making the class, not the DM. Do up a table!

Well for something that would be easy to notice if you looked for it, DC 15. For something that would be hard, but doable to spot if you looked for it, DC 25. For something that would be almost imposible to see even if you looked for it, DC 35. you gain knowledge of how the subject spent the last few hours equal to 1 hour for every DC 15 check, 2 hours for every DC 25, and 4 hours for every DC 35 check.

What knowledge is power rules? The least you could do it provide a link... why do they lose the ability by multiclassing?

http://www.giantitp.com/articles/paBcfg1YaEccDMQACfu.html . The reason you cannot multiclass is I want it to be avilible at first level, but not for people who did in and out of classes

You seem to be going out of your way to avoid martial aptitude in the proficiencies and BAB part of the class, why give this to them now? Also, rename this.

I called it back up, because Sherlock Holmes often had the police come to a area that he thought the criminals would be. As for the menuevers, I thought that that would help them in fights so they do not suck to much. I also forgot this

Brain over Brawn

The detective can use their brilliant intellect to predict the movements of enemies, aiding them in both defending and attacking. A detective uses their Int modifier instead of their Dexterity modifier for AC, if there is any point the detective would be denied their Dex bonus to AC, their Int bonus is denied in the same way. The detective uses their Int modifier instead of their strength modifier for attack rolls provided they can clearly see their opponent.

I really don't know what this actually does, so I can't comment.

Wow, that's a hell of a suprise. Why does it get Gate? And why so many times per day?

Overall, this class doesn't make much sense at all. You give it abilities that don't fit the premise of the class, and the one that do fit are badly worded to the point that they aren't usable.

For better back up

smart thog
2007-11-20, 02:15 PM
On second thought, Maybe I will get rid of the menuevers. But I will let the detective get special feats that only they can get, like adaptive. here are some of my ideas

Questioning

Prerequisites, detective level 6th, 9 ranks in knowledge religion

Benfit, when facing a divine spell casting opponent, you may make a opposed knowledge religion check with the caster. If you succeed, the caster may not cast a divine spell until they make a knowledge religion check higher then you check.

Disrupting

Prerequisites, detective level 6th, 9 ranks in knowledge arcana

benifit, as questioning, expect for it appilies to arcane casters.

Dabbler

Prerequisites, detective level 9th, 12 ranks in knowledge psionics

Benefit, at the start of each day, make a knowledge psionics check. the result is the number of rounds this effect works. you may, when using this effect, manifest powers as a psion of 1/4th your detective level. you may only use a number of times per day equal to your psionics check.

More feats for later.