PDA

View Full Version : damage healing cleric

elron42
2021-08-28, 12:51 AM
Hi,

I was wondering if any of the various systems out there have a cleric that when he scores a succesful damaging hit, can use part of that to heal a party member

regards,

Tos

ngilop
2021-08-28, 09:59 AM
Hi,

I was wondering if any of the various systems out there have a cleric that when he scores a succesful damaging hit, can use part of that to heal a party member

regards,

Tos

While it is not the cleric. The Crusader from the Tome of Battle has a series of strikes that allow you to heal after a successful strike.

LibraryOgre
2021-08-28, 10:00 AM
Hi,

regards,

Tos

I would not be surprised if that were a power or two in 4e; I know there were a number of "Hit someone and give someone else temporary HP" powers.

Anonymouswizard
2021-08-28, 10:46 AM
If we replace 'Cleric' with 'character' or 'option' then yes. I can't think of any apart from those already mentioned, but I'm also not referencing my books.

If you open the question 'can you do X' to every system the answer will almost certainly be 'yes'. Because not only are there a wide variety of systems, some have very flexible ability creation systems.

Slipjig
2021-08-28, 11:09 AM
That was one of the routes available to Clerics of Sigmar in Warhammer: Age of Reckoning. That was a fun character to play, you are the healer, but you accomplish that healing by wading into melee with your sledgehammer. I haven't played Warhammer Fantasy RP, so I don't know if that ability made the jump.

Anymage
2021-08-28, 12:22 PM
Discipline priests in WoW have their shtick being that damage done to enemies will cause healing on allies. And other people mentioned that in 4e you had quite a few powers that had some ally buffing rider contingent on the move hitting an enemy.

However I do think that the whole idea of "your attacks landing causes some beneficial effect for an ally" is very much a tactical video game/miniatures game conceit. You'd have no real world reason to associate punching someone in the face and healing someone else, and it only makes sense in a context of action economy and letting someone run around doing something more interesting/active than sitting around and throwing out heals. So the systems with such a concept might or might not be the sorts of games you'd want to play in the first place.

LibraryOgre
2021-08-28, 03:21 PM
However I do think that the whole idea of "your attacks landing causes some beneficial effect for an ally" is very much a tactical video game/miniatures game conceit. You'd have no real world reason to associate punching someone in the face and healing someone else, and it only makes sense in a context of action economy and letting someone run around doing something more interesting/active than sitting around and throwing out heals. So the systems with such a concept might or might not be the sorts of games you'd want to play in the first place.

I could see it working ok. You might sacrifice animals to cure someone of disease... why not stab someone to cure someone else of a stabbing?

Slipjig
2021-08-28, 04:59 PM
However I do think that the whole idea of "your attacks landing causes some beneficial effect for an ally" is very much a tactical video game/miniatures game conceit. You'd have no real world reason to associate punching someone in the face and healing someone else
There is no "real-world reason" for invoking your god's name and praying to confer healing either. If your god is all about smiting the wicked (or, on the Evil side, blood sacrifices made in their name), there's no reason they couldn't consider doing that to be an act of worship and thus confer their blessings so that his faithful may continue to righteously layeth down the smack.

Quertus
2021-08-28, 06:38 PM
Mutants and Masterminds can definitely do this, as, I imagine, could Heroes / Champions.

ahyangyi
2021-08-30, 07:15 AM
I would not be surprised if that were a power or two in 4e; I know there were a number of "Hit someone and give someone else temporary HP" powers.

4e has the concept of healing surges which makes the management of healing easier. And in general THP is safer to give out than real healing.

Otherwise, one might run into silly situations where a Dwaven Cleric might suddenly declare that "I really hate trees, trees are my enemies... I swing my axe at the tree, and does that make my Human Wizard friend feel better?"