PDA

View Full Version : Naruto d20; Is It Worth Believing In?

Eldmor
2007-11-15, 07:50 PM
I recently got bored and found Naruto d20, a handy add-on to d20Modern.
Has anyone run in it, and if so, what was your experience with it? I'm going to try running a campaign using it sometime.
And as always, I love hearing your house rules. So far I've established that all players will have to choose a home village and races are limited to human and the native "village race". Also; no blatant carbon copying canon characters.

Xuincherguixe
2007-11-15, 09:10 PM
At some point I might give this one a try. I'm extremely tempted to run a campaign based out of the village hidden in the trash. Which would be in the
"hidden" leaf villages dump. All the jobs they don't feel like doing get handed over to the trash village. Their leader would be a crazy hobo.

DiscipleofBob
2007-11-16, 02:15 AM
Clearly the superior ninja village to host a campaign in is the Village Hidden in Plain Sight

Callos_DeTerran
2007-11-16, 02:23 AM
I recently got bored and found Naruto d20, a handy add-on to d20Modern.
Has anyone run in it, and if so, what was your experience with it? I'm going to try running a campaign using it sometime.
And as always, I love hearing your house rules. So far I've established that all players will have to choose a home village and races are limited to human and the native "village race". Also; no blatant carbon copying canon characters.

Which Naruto d20 rules are you looking at? If it's Frankto's verison, then I'm actually running er...I think the count is up to three different Naruto d20 games on this board.

And I have to warn you, it's difficult to play to the Byakugan's strengths and not carbon bopy Neji or Hinata, so you may want to be a little lax on that if your allowing bloodlines.

TheOOB
2007-11-16, 02:24 AM
While the d20 rules could acually work for naruto, I question the choice to base it off of d20 modern instead of D&D.

Callos_DeTerran
2007-11-16, 02:26 AM
While the d20 rules could acually work for naruto, I question the choice to base it off of d20 modern instead of D&D.

Removes the temptation to just use psionic powers/spells for techniques? Plus if you use modern, not everybody is restricted to certain classes to gain access to techniques since in modern anyone can...'cept for ordinaries of course.

Kizara
2007-11-16, 06:17 AM
1) Play normal 3.5 D&D

2) Extensively review "The Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords"

3) Do a bit of re-fluffing of presented material and perhaps add what you need.

There, aside from bloodlines/special villages, you basically have Naruto in DnD.

Xefas
2007-11-16, 06:23 AM
1) Play normal 3.5 D&D

2) Extensively review "The Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords"

3) Do a bit of re-fluffing of presented material and perhaps add what you need.

There, aside from bloodlines/special villages, you basically have Naruto in DnD.

Not only do I find this offensive to my race, sex, and religion, but I also contend that psionics would probably do a better job.

Kizara
2007-11-16, 06:26 AM
Not only do I find this offensive to my race, sex, and religion, but I also contend that psionics would probably do a better job.

I'm not that familair with psionics, so it might be better.

I just found ToB to have an extremely Naruto-esque theme, both in how it's fluff was presented and mechanically.

Seriously though, how the heck does my post offend you so personally? I'm assuming you are just exagerating, since it has 0 to do with race/sex/religion.

Xefas
2007-11-16, 06:34 AM
I'm not that familair with psionics, so it might be better.

I just found ToB to have an extremely Naruto-esque theme, both in how it's fluff was presented and mechanically.

Seriously though, how the heck does my post offend you so personally? I'm assuming you are just exagerating, since it has 0 to do with race/sex/religion.

I forgot to add that it offends my political, philosophical, and social views as well.

Anyway, the stuff they do in Naruto, as I understand it, is more in line with flashiness and over-the-topitude; more like stuff from the Evocation and Illusion schools. *generic hit that adds X modifier* isn't exactly their style, as it is with Tome of Battle. Hell, not even Desert Wind is really Narutoish, and it's the one everyone flocks to when they want to complain about Tome of Battle being Anime-like.

Now, Rurouni Kenshin, I could possibly be persuaded to...

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-16, 06:47 AM

1. d20 modern doesn't have magic item reliance. Magic items never appear in Naruto (filler arcs do not count as real), only spell scrolls and puppets, both of which are based off the user's proficiency in them rather than any innate powers the object possesses and potions style consumables which are rare anyway. Trying to play D&D in this way needs a lot of houserules.

2. d20 modern in better than D&D anyway.:smallyuk:

3. In a Naruto based campaign everyone will be a Ninja. If you wanted to play D&D everyone would have the same class. d20 modern's classes are much more flexable and have no baggage behind them.

4. Due to d20 moderns' talent system it's easier to plug abilities into existing classes while to make D&D Naruto you'd have to make all new classes.

5. You can put everything that's good about D&D into d20 modern easily.

Leicontis
2007-11-16, 08:51 AM
Where is this Naruto D20? I've been hearing about one (as in actual published books) for years, but have been totally unable to find it.

Person_Man
2007-11-16, 09:47 AM
Where is this Naruto D20? I've been hearing about one (as in actual published books) for years, but have been totally unable to find it.

Google is your friend. Believe it (http://www.google.com/search?q=naruto+d20&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)!!!!

Eldmor
2007-11-16, 10:38 AM
I do own the Tome of Battle. In fact, I regularly carry it with me around campus. But I asked about how to help run Naruto d20 using d20 Modern, pulling out the multi-tool isn't helping here. :smallannoyed: d20 Modern works great for this because it has generic classes and advanced classes that keep things malleable, and has a non-quantity currency system that makes sense.

Which Naruto d20 rules are you looking at? If it's Frankto's verison, then I'm actually running er...I think the count is up to three different Naruto d20 games on this board.

And I have to warn you, it's difficult to play to the Byakugan's strengths and not carbon copy Neji or Hinata, so you may want to be a little lax on that if your allowing bloodlines.
It is Frankto's version. I think I won't allow bloodlines so people can expand their characters around a concept and not just an ability. I'll take a look at your campaigns and try to get some inspiration from them.

prufock
2007-11-16, 10:49 AM
Man, I've become such a shill for Mutants and Masterminds, 2E. Get it, use it, love it. I'll bet a Google search will even turn up hits for character builds.

prufock
2007-11-16, 12:07 PM
To follow up, Atomic Think Tank has some threads with Naruto builds. Two examples:

Here. (http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?t=14764&highlight=naruto)

And here. (http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?t=21973&highlight=naruto)

Da Beast
2007-11-16, 12:24 PM
At some point I might give this one a try. I'm extremely tempted to run a campaign based out of the village hidden in the trash. Which would be in the
"hidden" leaf villages dump. All the jobs they don't feel like doing get handed over to the trash village. Their leader would be a crazy hobo.

You are my favorite person ever.

TimeWizard
2007-11-16, 12:46 PM
I habeeb it.