PDA

View Full Version : Elvencraft composite great footbow? Possible?

bean illus
2021-08-28, 12:13 PM
I'm considering a raptoran archer. Is the above bow possible? In Serrenwood? What are the stats?

I want the bow/build to NOT be useless in a dispel or antimagic situation, so the possible 1d10 +7 Str damage is tempting.

Any other ideas, before we talk magic?

daremetoidareyo
2021-08-28, 01:22 PM
I'm considering a raptoran archer. Is the above bow possible? In Serrenwood? What are the stats?

I want the bow/build to NOT be useless in a dispel or antimagic situation, so the possible 1d10 +7 Str damage is tempting.

Any other ideas, before we talk magic?

Don’t footbows already have a strength rating?

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-08-28, 01:31 PM
When you say "great footbow," do you mean a hybrid between a greatbow and a footbow? I don't think that's a thing. A regular footbow "resembles a composite longbow," so it's possible that elvencraft could be applied to it, if your DM agrees. It's not actually a composite longbow, though; it just resembles one.

There are no stats for a greatbow that has elvencraft applied, though, since elvencraft is only for shortbows and longbows, and greatbows are a different weapon entirely.

Talk to your DM to houserule one.

bean illus
2021-08-28, 02:00 PM
When you say "great footbow," do you mean a hybrid between a greatbow and a footbow? I don't think that's a thing. A regular footbow "resembles a composite longbow," so it's possible that elvencraft could be applied to it, if your DM agrees. It's not actually a composite longbow, though; it just resembles one.

There are no stats for a greatbow that has elvencraft applied, though, since elvencraft is only for shortbows and longbows, and greatbows are a different weapon entirely.

Talk to your DM to houserule one.

Yeah, i had a feeling that was the rule. Thanks.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-08-28, 02:09 PM
Yeah, i had a feeling that was the rule. Thanks.Depending on your resources and what you want, the boards here might be able to help with a weapon setup that'll make you happy.

What build are you looking at, what are the resources at your disposal, what books are allowed, and what do you actually want to do with your weapon? Note that there are other ways to make melee attacks with a ranged weapon, such as via adding a bayonet to it.

bean illus
2021-08-28, 03:03 PM
Depending on your resources and what you want, the boards here might be able to help with a weapon setup that'll make you happy.

What build are you looking at, what are the resources at your disposal, what books are allowed, and what do you actually want to do with your weapon? Note that there are other ways to make melee attacks with a ranged weapon, such as via adding a bayonet to it.

I didn't know about the bayonet, though the melee threat isn't my biggest issue.

I'm working on full attack with craven, and hiding. I should probably start a thread for it though.

Would you go for the elvencraft composite longbow, or the footbow, or the greatbow with bayonet?

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-08-28, 03:45 PM
I didn't know about the bayonet, though the melee threat isn't my biggest issue.

I'm working on full attack with craven, and hiding. I should probably start a thread for it though.

Would you go for the elvencraft composite longbow, or the footbow, or the greatbow with bayonet?If you're going raptoran, footbow would be the way to go, if only because it's a unique weapon for the race, and there's no reason not to take advantage of it.

Alternatively, add sizing and morphing so you have access to all of them (and way, way more). If you have access to Ravenloft books (specifically, Legacy of the Blood), a non-magical Device™ would mean you could have a transforming weapon without having to worry about AMFs, dead magic zones, or dispelling. It's significantly more expensive than a magic item, though, since you need a fuel cell to power it, and those are not cheap. Shapesand could morph itself if you have a big enough Wis score, but then you have to worry about others taking control from you.

You might be able to get away with a creature that you can treat as a weapon. An egoist psion or erudite with Supernatural Transformation: Psionics that could metamorphosis into the bow of your choice and who had self-buffing could get you some nifty enhancements, and it'd be undispellable (although it would have issues with dead magic zones and AMFs). Leadership FTW? Or you could be the psionicist and use your buffed psicrystal as your bow.

Personally, I've always been a fan of using a bow as a ranged heal/buff/debuff build, with artificer, aurorum spell storing arrows, and aurorum spell storing dye arrows (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/weapon-descriptions/ammunition/ammunition-bow-arrows-common/ammunition-bow-arrow-dye/), but I don't think that's what you're going for here.

Whatever you do, I'd suggest looking into means of going ethereal when you move (such as through the shoulders-bound phase cloak), so you're almost impossible to root out without true seeing. Having spider climb available would mean you could land on walls and ceilings, so you can remain out of reach even when there's not a lot of room to fly.

Ramza00
2021-08-28, 05:24 PM
More house rules but see if your DM would allow Elvencraft of some form where the big bow so it is also a club, quarterstaff, or perhaps a different bludgeoning double weapon.

bean illus
2021-08-28, 09:21 PM
If you're going raptoran, footbow would be the way to go, if only because it's a unique weapon for the race, and there's no reason not to take advantage of it.

Alternatively, add sizing and morphing so you have access to all of them (and way, way more). If you have access to Ravenloft books (specifically, Legacy of the Blood), a non-magical Device™ would mean you could have a transforming weapon without having to worry about AMFs, dead magic zones, or dispelling. It's significantly more expensive than a magic item, though, since you need a fuel cell to power it, and those are not cheap. Shapesand could morph itself if you have a big enough Wis score, but then you have to worry about others taking control from you.

You might be able to get away with a creature that you can treat as a weapon. An egoist psion or erudite with Supernatural Transformation: Psionics that could metamorphosis into the bow of your choice and who had self-buffing could get you some nifty enhancements, and it'd be undispellable (although it would have issues with dead magic zones and AMFs). Leadership FTW? Or you could be the psionicist and use your buffed psicrystal as your bow.

Personally, I've always been a fan of using a bow as a ranged heal/buff/debuff build, with artificer, aurorum spell storing arrows, and aurorum spell storing dye arrows (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/weapon-descriptions/ammunition/ammunition-bow-arrows-common/ammunition-bow-arrow-dye/), but I don't think that's what you're going for here.

Whatever you do, I'd suggest looking into means of going ethereal when you move (such as through the shoulders-bound phase cloak), so you're almost impossible to root out without true seeing. Having spider climb available would mean you could land on walls and ceilings, so you can remain out of reach even when there's not a lot of room to fly.

One goal is to have options (or partial options) even in dispel/antimagic zones.

I don't know much about totemist. I admit i haven't even finished reading it. Can a shoulder bind be had before 9th level? There's some good advice there, thanks.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-08-28, 09:47 PM
One goal is to have options (or partial options) even in dispel/antimagic zones.

I don't know much about totemist. I admit i haven't even finished reading it. Can a shoulder bimd be had before 9th level? There's some good advice there, thanks.You're welcome. And yes, you can, but not via totemist. A psion can get psionic open chakra at level 7, and if you boost your ML and have a few cost reducers to make the shoulders bind augment affordable, that's the earliest you can get it under your own power, barring things like ardent + bonus HD abuse. Otherwise, you'd have to resort to things like scrolls to keep it bound for more than 24 hours.

A level in cleric could give you the prereqs for Initiate of Mystra, giving you the ability to cast in an AMF and allowing you to freely buff your weaponry therein.