PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Flying Races in 5e

Glarnog
2021-08-28, 01:52 PM
Any and all published material allowed (Yes Tasha's), Unearth Arcana may be allowed by review. Starting a new campaign on a shattered world whose various pieces "float" as islands in the air. Various air ships too. I know of the Arakocra, and there are already 2 in the party. Ideally I'd like to make flying dragon born paladin, i haven't played either the race or class yet in 5e, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks.

Reach Weapon
2021-08-28, 01:57 PM
I don't think it's necessarily a good fit for a Paladin, but I'm kind of partial to Owlfolk (https://media.wizards.com/2021/dnd/downloads/UA2021_FeyFolk.pdf), lately.

Glarnog
2021-08-28, 02:05 PM
I hadn't even seen them. thank you. They look interesting. Perhaps the results of a familiar and experiment.

Naanomi
2021-08-28, 02:59 PM
Winged Tiefling exists also

Kuulvheysoon
2021-08-28, 03:01 PM
Feral Winged Tieflings are arguably the kings (or queens) or flying PC races, but most DMs tend to ban them (with good reason).

Bobthewizard
2021-08-28, 04:47 PM
There's a UA feat for dragon wings for dragonborn. It's not too much of a stretch to let someone start with that if others are playing aarakocra and winged tieflings. I'd also allow that same feat for a goblin since there are winged goblins in some lore.

Protector aasimar can fly once per LR when they get to level 3. Owlfolk and faeries in the recent UA can fly.

P. G. Macer
2021-08-29, 09:20 AM
Since you mentioned Unearthed Arcana as a ”maybe”, there’s the winged elf/Avariel elf subrace from late 2017. It does gain pathetically little from its subrace features, not even an ASI, just a 30 ft. flying speed unusable in medium or heavy armor and proficiency in the Auran language. However, you still have the base Elf chassis of Darkvision, Keen Senses, Fey Ancestry, and Trance, so IMHO it’s still respectable.

Segev
2021-08-29, 09:28 AM
You could see if your DM would let you trade the begging and groveling race feature for kobolds for a pair of wings. Urd are a thing in the monster manual under the kobold entry.

Witty Username
2021-08-29, 11:30 AM
I would recommend Planeshift materiel. That will get you Aven, Siren, and if I recall correctly the vampire races have some flying options

Glarnog
2021-09-01, 11:15 AM
Lots of great suggestions. I should have said but in his setting elves, dwarves, and humans aren't allowed as PCs.

He did say yes to the Dragonborns wings racial feat. We are starting at first and doing point buy.

Going to look at some of these others and run them by him.

Thank you all so much