PDA

View Full Version : DM Help City of the Spider Queen - plot question - help

Thac0 Redeye
2021-08-28, 09:46 PM
In about a month I'll be starting to DM the FR: City of the Spider Queen. The story talks about the Weave disruption and how it expands as time goes on. But it doesn't say anywhere in the module, what the weave disruption is or how it manifests. Part way through it says to get a message to the characters that the disruption has encompassed the local towns and is expanding. What are the effects of the weave and does it also effect the characters?

Anyone know? or do I just make it up?

Thanks

Efrate
2021-08-28, 10:17 PM
Generally it means either wild or dead magic. Frcs has tables for both iirc. So it is either random antimagic zones, or spells and effects having differing effects at random, from the awesome to the awful.

Or you could just make it up.

Fizban
2021-08-29, 02:36 AM
Heh. Hehe. Hehehehehe. Oh, that's funny.

There's a similar problem in the Tearing of the Weave campaign, where not only do the foes often blatantly ignore the rules, the writers don't even understand the difference between the three different rules they're mentioning, and the final adventure has a whole dungeon that may or may not take place within a dead magic zone.

If CotSQ is specifically mentioning it spreading to towns rather than being significant in the adventure, I would guess it's supposed to be a soft time-pressure to keep the PCs moving, rather than an actual obstacle for them. And as such I would say make up whatever penalties you think they will find sufficiently dire to be motivating. But double-check the artifacts, spells, major NPCs, and intros and outtros to the chapters just in case. It might just be written somewhere that doesn't make any sense.

RNightstalker
2021-08-29, 04:05 PM
It might just be written somewhere that doesn't make any sense.

Now we wouldn't find anything like that in official WotC material would we?!

Cavaire
2022-02-06, 01:17 PM
Sorry for the potential necromancy here. But I thought as no answer was given I'd answer the question.

They do explain the Weave Disruptions in the book, though granted it's not in a great place, it should have been put in the front or later in the book. Similarly, I felt the Faerzress was not given a proper place in the book.

On page 68 in the book you find a box detailing all the effects of the Weave Disruption, both on spells and creatures (undead).

I hope this might have answered your question, you might also have come across it yourself by now.

Peelee
2022-02-06, 01:47 PM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain/ Closed for Necromancy.