PDA

View Full Version : Spear Master: Feat (PEACH)

Saelethil
2021-08-29, 10:27 AM
Throughout history, one of the main advantages to wielding a spear has been it's reach. In 5e pikes have this advantage but are bulkier than most spears and are therefore a solid choice for the PAM, GWM combo but are an invalid option for a lot of more dexterous character concepts. A character such as "The Viper" from Game of Thrones would seem to be a Dex. build using a spear which could be done with a monk but Oberyn is noticeably lacking some Wisdom in my opinion he would fit more as a rogue. There is also the classic shield and spear combo which has arguably been more common than the sword/shield that we see so often in fantasy. This got me thinking about another weapon feat that would facilitate a greater use of spears and a wider array of character build options. Anyway, here's what I've come up with so far:

Spear Master
Prerequisite: Proficiency with spears

- Increase your Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution score by 1 to a maximum of 20.
- When you wield a spear it gains the Reach property, extending your melee range by 5 feet.
- A spear in your hands gains the Finesse property, allowing you to use either your strength or dexterity modifier for attack and damage rolls wit spears.
- You can now use javelins as a melee weapon with the Versatile property, dealing 1d8 piercing damage when wielded with 2 hands.

I considered extending these features to apply to quarterstaff's as well but thought that might be stepping on the Monk's toes too much.