PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Highest shadow reality possible with 0% cheese?

redking
2021-08-29, 10:42 AM
What is the highest shadow reality one can achieve for shadow evocation/conjuration type spells without questionable hacks and without Shadow Illusion ability from shadowcraft mage (although the capstone Powerful Shadow Magic adding 20% to shadow evocation/conjuration is acceptable).

Can we get up to 100% from starting point of 20% shadow evocation?

Khatoblepas
2021-08-29, 11:05 AM
What counts as a "questionable hack"?

Shadowcrafter gets you +40% reality
Shadowcraft Mage gets you +20% reality

A quaal's feather token (tree) thrown into some soil on the Plane of Shadow, the Shadow Walk spell, and an eternal wand of Acorn of Far Travel gets you another 10% and all your shadow illusions maximised and extended for free.

Are we including Dragon Magazine? Illusion School Mastery from Dragon 357 replaces your familiar for +1CL and +10% shadow reality, bringing us neatly to 100%.

redking
2021-08-29, 11:13 AM
Are we including Dragon Magazine? Illusion School Mastery from Dragon 357 replaces your familiar for +1CL and +10% shadow reality, bringing us neatly to 100%.

I only count 80% with that because shadowcrafter nets us +20% not +40%. I remember a feat in Dragon Magazine that grants +20%, which does indeed bring us up to 100%, but are there any other options to do it?

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-08-29, 11:20 AM
Enhanced Shadow Mastery is a feat from Dragon #345 that grants +20%.

Solid Shadows (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/solid-shadows-metamagic/) is a metamagic feat from PF that grants another +20% for a +1 slot level increase.

iceifur
2021-08-29, 11:37 PM
Enhanced Shadow Mastery is a feat from Dragon #345 that grants +20%.

After a goodly bit of searching, I couldn't find the "Enhanced Shadow Mastery" feat anywhere. Do you mean the "Enhanced Shadow Reality" feat? It's from Dragon #325, page 77. It only applies to the spell's damage, though.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-08-29, 11:53 PM
After a goodly bit of searching, I couldn't find the "Enhanced Shadow Mastery" feat anywhere. Do you mean the "Enhanced Shadow Reality" feat? It's from Dragon #325, page 77. It only applies to the spell's damage, though.I guess so. I was going off of a list someone else had made some time ago, and I guess some details were incorrect. Apologies, but thanks for finding it.

sreservoir
2021-08-30, 12:38 AM
A quaal's feather token (tree) thrown into some soil on the Plane of Shadow, the Shadow Walk spell, and an eternal wand of Acorn of Far Travel gets you another 10% and all your shadow illusions maximised and extended for free.

Hold up there, any reading of acorn of far travel that transfers the traits of the tree's location to you is pretty darn suspect, especially if you read the next line of the spell (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040710a):

Acorn of far travel must be cast upon an acorn that is still attached to a living oak tree. As you cast the spell, the spirit of the oak tree wells into the acorn, which detaches into your hand once the casting is complete. As long as you carry the acorn (and as long as the acorn is not stored in an extradimensional space like a bag of holding), you are considered to be standing under that oak tree's canopy (and thus within an area of forested terrain). Whenever you cast a spell that has additional effects when cast in forested terrain (such as deadfall, creaking cacophony, fey ring, or splinterbolt), you can choose to use the acorn as an additional material component for that spell. Doing so consumes the acorn immediately, but the spell's effects manifest as if you stood in forested terrain no matter what your actual location. Likewise, you can use the acorn as an oak tree for spells like tree stride or transport via plants; this also consumes the acorn.

If the spell worked the way people want it to, then that's nonsense: as long as you're carrying the acorn, you'd count as being under the tree's canopy in an area of forested terrain, so why would you need to consume the acorn?

Ramza00
2021-08-30, 01:56 AM
That Tome of Magic template and the collar that gives the template for some gp instead of LA plus the 7th level spell Planar Bubble (SpC and Planar Handbook) gives you a 10 min per level bubble which replicates a plane based off the creatures native plane. It then specifically gives Plane of Shadow and enhanced shadow spells as an example.

Khatoblepas
2021-08-30, 04:20 AM
If the spell worked the way people want it to, then that's nonsense: as long as you're carrying the acorn, you'd count as being under the tree's canopy in an area of forested terrain, so why would you need to consume the acorn?

But.. it does. It says you can consume the acorn to manifest the effects as if you were in an area of forested terrain. But the direct previous line says you are considered to be in an area of forested terrain and under that tree's canopy as long as you hold the acorn.

The wording is identical:

As long as you carry the acorn (...) you are considered to be standing under that oak tree's canopy (and thus within an area of forested terrain).

but the spell's effects manifest as if you stood in forested terrain no matter what your actual location.

The only reading I can possibly muster from this is that you can consume the acorn for no real gain, or use it as a focus for tree stride or teleport via plants.

noob
2021-08-30, 05:51 AM
Could you not get arbitrarily high shadow reality percentage with epic heighten and the shadowcraft mage prc provided you have a very high level?
Like "I reached level 50 taste my 200% real shadow spells"

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-08-30, 09:12 AM
It'd probably be considered "cheese" (which, honestly, is entirely both arbitrary and subjective, going up, down, and all around depending on the group), but the Loyalty's Reward feat from Kingdoms of Kalamar is a WotC-approved feat that allows you to craft your own feat, which could easily be "Illusions with the [shadow] descriptor are 20% more real than normal on a successful save or when disbelieved."

sreservoir
2021-08-30, 11:14 PM
The only reading I can possibly muster from this is that you can consume the acorn for no real gain,

You don't think this seems to suggest that your reading is a bit overly broad?

you are considered to be standing

Guess acorn of far travel makes you immune to the prone condition, huh.

noob
2021-08-31, 01:58 PM
You don't think this seems to suggest that your reading is a bit overly broad?

Guess acorn of far travel makes you immune to the prone condition, huh.

And you can use power attack to reduce the attack rolls of all the people in the universe of course.
You can also become a lich 7 times and call yourself voldemort if one of your parents is an human.
It is all straightforward logical RAW interpretations.