PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Binding vestiges as a martial adept?

Dr_Dinosaur
2021-08-29, 01:43 PM
I'm hoping to build a powerful martial adept who binds Orthos as a boss fight and having some trouble. I know technically Anima Mage can be adapted for other similar subsystems, but unlike with psionics, ToB doesn't really have meta-maneuver feats to use with the PrC's features. Is there another way to get a sufficient binder level on an adept class?

Kuulvheysoon
2021-08-29, 01:51 PM
Honestly, you'll probably want to take advantage of the partial-progression IL for non-martial adept levels and put off taking the adept levels. Unfortunately, Orthos is an 8th level vestige, meaning that you need an EBL of 17. You can reduce that to 15 with the Improved Binding feat (which you can take as one of the Binder bonus feats). If you're willing to go down the rabbit hole, there's always bloodline cheese to exploit.

But as a base, Binder 15/Crusader 5 gives you an IL of 12, giving you up to 6th level maneuvers as a 20th level character.

Doctor Despair
2021-08-29, 08:32 PM
I feel like Knight of the Sacred Seal should appear in this build. Improved Binding is good, of course. A major bloodline is important here, too, to minimize non-initiator levels. Maybe something like...

Human
1 Duskblade (Precocious Apprentice, Ghost-Touch Spell)
Major Bloodline x3
2 Binder [EBL4]
3 Binder (Improved Binding) [EBL7]
4 Anima Mage [EBL11]
5 Anima Mage [EBL12]
6 Scion of Dantalion (Weapon Focus) [EBL16]
7 Scion of Dantalion [EBL17]
8 Knight of the Sacred Seal [EBL 21] (Patron Deity: Orthos -- you always have a good pact)

Then, the rest of your levels can be straight initiator classes. Dip into as many initiator prcs as possible to boost your initiator level via the bloodline cheese.

RandomPeasant
2021-08-29, 08:51 PM
If you're building him as a boss fight, why not just make the character Gestalt? You can get your fill of both maneuvers and vestiges, and simply reduce the level bump he gets over the PCs to compensate (or honestly not, such a fight is probably still easier than the traditional evil Wizard).

Thrice Dead Cat
2021-08-30, 06:53 AM
Some take the stance that all prestige class levels count as full initiator level rather than the usual half. If you use that reading, then you could load up on binder prestige classes and then finish off with some Crusader or Warblade levels.

Psyren
2021-08-30, 09:39 AM
I second the gestalt idea, or just homebrew a binding/initiating theurge PrC. NPCs don't have to stick to WotC material, especially in areas where it's decidedly lacking.

daremetoidareyo
2021-08-30, 09:46 AM
Arcane swordsage adaptation into anima mage, only take a single spell, like bloodwind or something

Darg
2021-08-30, 09:56 AM
Why not just make your own prestige class for it? Something like Onyx Knight Exemplar.

Give it the ability to dispel any magical darkness at will.

The character can bind Orthos as an extra vestige at level 1 but the Whirlwind breath does half damage and can only push 1d2 × 5 ft and the displacement is 20%. At 2nd level and every every level there after the displacement increases by 5%. At 5th level the Whirlwind breath does full damage and pushes 1d4×5ft. At 9th level the breath does it's full effect. At 1st level you gain the blindsight but at 5ft. At 2nd level and every even level there after the blindsight increases by 5ft. At first level, any effect that can be moved by wind is always displaced by the character so that the space the character is in is unaffected by the effect.

As you are improving binding instead of spellcasting, you are free to increase the rate of acquisition of maneuvers and stances compared to the spellcasting hybrid PRCs.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-08-30, 09:58 AM
Loyalty's Reward is a feat in Kingdoms of Kalamar that allows you to build your own feat for an organization you're a(n at least nominal) leader of; you gain the benefits of it, and your underlings can take it as a feat, if they want it. So ask your DM if KoK is available, work towards becoming a leader in some sort of organization (there are no restrictions on size), and you can build a feat that gives you what you want or need to make this easier. Perhaps one that explicitly allows a casting PrC to progress maneuvers of an initiator class as well as binding? Or one that allows you to gestalt in exchange for +2 LA or so?

Alternatively, build yourself a PrC with your DM's help and take that. Maybe one that lets you focus on binding Orthos at an earlier level but at reduced capacity, growing to be even more encompassing and focused as you gain levels. (Swordsage'd on this last point. Oops.)

Thurbane
2021-08-30, 05:07 PM
I second the gestalt idea, or just homebrew a binding/initiating theurge PrC. NPCs don't have to stick to WotC material, especially in areas where it's decidedly lacking.

Troacctid has a "generic-theurge" PrC that could be used here: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?427306-Prestige-Class-Gestalt-Theurge

afroakuma
2021-08-30, 06:19 PM

I'm going to concur with Psyren - homebrew is a good thing.