PDA

View Full Version : Climbing and climb speed

Theodoxus
2021-08-30, 07:41 PM
If a creature has a climb speed less than it's movement speed, does that mean it can climb the listed amount without an additional cost, and then anything beyond that is double movement?

I.E. a Tabaxi has a climb speed of 20, but a base move of 30. If the Tabaxi were to climb a tree, the max distance they could climb all things being equal is 25'? And if they used feline agility (increasing their speed to 60 for the round, they'd be able to climb a max of 40'? (20 normal plus (60-20)=40 (/2 for +20'); 40' total.

If this is true, 1) the PHB states "You ignore this extra cost if you have a climbing speed and use it to climb..." with no discussion on a fixed movement amount, so it would seem the rule is any climbing speed would negate the movement penalty completely. But if this is the case, why even rate Tabaxi at 20', what does that actually mean? And 2) If I'm correct in my opening supposition, how do you see the physics behind the smaller than normal movement climb speed? Is the Tabaxi suddenly too tired to keep climbing at full speed after 20'? Dulled claws? Sudden bout of laziness?

Just curious how others have ruled it. The one time I played a Tabaxi and was climbing up buildings and trees, I don't recall ever having to move more than 20' to get to the perch I was looking for to start sniping, so it never came up... but the DM never asked about my speed either - I think he was going with the PHB "a climb speed negates the climb penalty"...

Thoughts?

Eric Diaz
2021-08-30, 07:54 PM
Page 190 of PHB:

Using Different Speeds

If you have more than one speed, such as your walking speed and flying speed, you can switch back and forth between your speeds during your move. Whenever you switch, subtract the distance you're already moved from your new speed. The result determines how much farther you can move. If the result is 0 or less, you can't use the new speed during the current move.

For example, if you have a speed of 30 and a flying speed of 60 because a wizard cast the Fly spell on you, you could fly 20 feet, then walk 10 feet, and then leap into the air to fly 30 feet more.

---

So you can climb 20 and walk 10, or climb 20 and climb 5 (total 25), IMO.

And 2) If I'm correct in my opening supposition, how do you see the physics behind the smaller than normal movement climb speed? Is the Tabaxi suddenly too tired to keep climbing at full speed after 20'? Dulled claws? Sudden bout of laziness?

There is no "real" reason here, it's just to simplify things in the game, AFAICT. But it means climbing is harder than walking even for Tabaxi.

strangebloke
2021-08-30, 09:34 PM
Page 190 of PHB:

Using Different Speeds

If you have more than one speed, such as your walking speed and flying speed, you can switch back and forth between your speeds during your move. Whenever you switch, subtract the distance you're already moved from your new speed. The result determines how much farther you can move. If the result is 0 or less, you can't use the new speed during the current move.

For example, if you have a speed of 30 and a flying speed of 60 because a wizard cast the Fly spell on you, you could fly 20 feet, then walk 10 feet, and then leap into the air to fly 30 feet more.

---

So you can climb 20 and walk 10, or climb 20 and climb 5 (total 25), IMO.

There is no "real" reason here, it's just to simplify things in the game, AFAICT. But it means climbing is harder than walking even for Tabaxi.

Nothing to contribute other to say that this is how I've always run things and I believe it is correct.

greenstone
2021-08-30, 09:51 PM
I.E. a Tabaxi has a climb speed of 20, but a base move of 30. If the Tabaxi were to climb a tree, the max distance they could climb all things being equal is 25'?

I'd say the answer is 20′.

If a creature has a listed speed for climb (or swim or fly) then it must use that speed, and only that speed, to climb (or swim or fly).

The "climb at half speed" or "swim at half speed" rule only applies when you have no listed speed for the movement type.

At least that's my thinking, but even as I type this I'm not sure…

Townopolis
2021-08-30, 11:16 PM
I've always figured a Tabaxi could climb 25' for the reasons already covered.

As for using the speed burst, that's never come up for me, but... I think I'd rule you can climb 50' with it. My reasoning is nothing more than that I let people who Dash use all their movement speeds, and while this isn't the same thing, the precedent I've set for my table is that anything referencing your "speed" actually references your "speeds."

And, I mean, I don't like Tabaxi, but that's no reason to nerf them once I've allowed them in a campaign. That would just be cheap and bad DMing.

Thunderous Mojo
2021-08-31, 12:32 AM
I'd say the answer is 20′.

If a creature has a listed speed for climb (or swim or fly) then it must use that speed, and only that speed, to climb (or swim or fly).

The "climb at half speed" or "swim at half speed" rule only applies when you have no listed speed for the movement type.

This has to be the correct answer or ..........
.........a DM has to accept that any creature with a difference between their 'walking' speed and their Climb or Swim speed is going to be Climbing or Swimming their full Walking Speed otherwise.
(presuming their base speed is greater).

Having a Climb or Swim speed means that one ignores the extra movement penalty related to Climbing or Swimming. (Respectively)

Thus, if a Climbing Tabaxi, has access to their 30' movement whilst climbing, then nothing is stopping the Tabaxi from Climbing an Additional 10' past their Climb Speed.

This, seems to be the natural consequence from the wording of page 182 of the PHB.

RSP
2021-08-31, 11:06 PM
I’d say 25’. Why couldn’t they choose not to use their climb speed and use the basic rule instead? Here’s the RAW for reference:

“Each foot of movement costs 1 extra foot (2 extra feet in difficult terrain) when you’re climbing, swimming, or crawling. You ignore this extra cost if you have a climbing speed and use it to climb or a swimming speed and use it to swim.”

I’d say that first part (1’=2’ when climbing) is always an option. So long as you have climb movement left, you ignore it; but once that movement is gone, you can still use the basic rule.

To me it doesn’t make sense in-game that the Tabaxi is worse (or incapable) of climbing what a non-climber could do, which would be the case if the Tabaxi couldn’t climb with those last 10’ of regular movement.

Just my take on it though.