PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [Updated] Medusa (Gorgon) Sorcerer Origin

werescythe
2021-08-30, 08:08 PM
Well, after the release of Tasha's Cauldron of Everything and seeing what happened with Sorcerers, I decided to go back and update this subclass.

Here is the following update:

No longer has racial restrictions.
Now it has a expanded spell list.
Uses a modified version of Hold Person/Monster that gradually becomes a petrifying gaze.
Made some changes to the Serpentine Companion feat.

You can see the subclass: Here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WWNQwqVwZTEtxHpY13Cyhj_QoIBQEaPHH43UJ6mGcRs/edit?usp=sharing).

Now for the 18th level feature, I am considering potentially modifying it to have something more to do with the snake hair and less with the gaze/statues, but feel free to tell me what you think. :smallsmile:

Constructive feedback is always welcome. :smallbiggrin:

Kuulvheysoon
2021-08-30, 08:17 PM
The only thing that worries me about the 18th level feature is if you take the time to petrify something like a rat and keep it in your pocket. I get the feeling that it's supposed to be a bonus that applies sporadically, but it's trivially easy to have it apply at all times.

Hell, you could keep a supply of rat statues in a bag of holding and replace it as necessary.

werescythe
2021-08-30, 08:58 PM
The only thing that worries me about the 18th level feature is if you take the time to petrify something like a rat and keep it in your pocket. I get the feeling that it's supposed to be a bonus that applies sporadically, but it's trivially easy to have it apply at all times.

Hell, you could keep a supply of rat statues in a bag of holding and replace it as necessary.

I see that makes sense. I think the original Astral Self monk had a similar issue in UA that they fixed in Tasha's, so I will try to see if I can implement that (perhaps having that the creature must be small or larger). :smallsmile:

BerzerkerUnit
2021-09-01, 12:25 AM
Conceptually, a Medusa blood sorcerer makes a very interesting Sorcerous companion to the Enchanter Wizard.

Visually I like the snake hair as weapon via cantrip.

Personally, I think you have some good ideas mixed in with some... alarmingly costly features. 5 Sorc pts to let a creature make a save after they’ve already had 2 rds of a crippling condition that probably resulted in their death. Paralysis is no joke at the best of times. But I really feel like you’ve taken what should be the centerpiece of the subclass and made it a ribbon ability.

Genie warlock already broke the mold on bonus spell lists. Just add Flesh to Stone as a bonus spell known and give them the option to cast it with no components by spending 6 sorcery points.

I don’t think a defensive feature is out of the question, I might look at an immunity to poison somewhere in there, possibly a reactive Sorc point option as low as 1.

werescythe
2021-09-01, 09:09 AM
Personally, I think you have some good ideas mixed in with some... alarmingly costly features. 5 Sorc pts to let a creature make a save after they’ve already had 2 rds of a crippling condition that probably resulted in their death. Paralysis is no joke at the best of times. But I really feel like you’ve taken what should be the centerpiece of the subclass and made it a ribbon ability.

I had been wondering about that. Do you think it would be okay for me to remove the 2 rounds section of it? Also would it be okay if we reduced the Sorcery Point cost or not?

Kuulvheysoon
2021-09-01, 09:19 AM
I don’t think a defensive feature is out of the question, I might look at an immunity to poison somewhere in there, possibly a reactive Sorc point option as low as 1.

Just be sure to balance it against the Draconic Sorceror 6's Elemental Affinity (notably the "spend 1 sorcery point to gain resistance for 1 hour to the damage type associated with your dragon type, which does include poison).

BerzerkerUnit
2021-09-02, 12:00 AM
Just be sure to balance it against the Draconic Sorceror 6's Elemental Affinity (notably the "spend 1 sorcery point to gain resistance for 1 hour to the damage type associated with your dragon type, which does include poison).

Given the limitation I'd probably say just make them Resistance by default with a Reaction option to become immune.

BerzerkerUnit
2021-09-02, 12:13 AM
I had been wondering about that. Do you think it would be okay for me to remove the 2 rounds section of it? Also would it be okay if we reduced the Sorcery Point cost or not?

I think you have to reduce the cost and definitely eliminate the countdown, but really there are some simpler alternatives:

Example-

Bonus Spells:
At 1st level you gain bonus spells known as seen on the following list. Each time you gain a level in this class you can exchange one of these spells for an Enchantment spell of a level you can cast. When you learn Flesh to Stone at 11th level you can cast it by spending 6 sorcery points instead of expending a spell slot. When you do it requires no components to cast.
1. Thornwhip, etc
2. etc
3. etc
4. etc
5. etc
6. Flesh to Stone

Then your Level 1 feature can be something more like:

Beginning at 1st level when a creature becomes frightened of you, its speed is reduced to 0 until the beginning of your next turn. At 2nd level in this class and beyond, you may expend a sorcery point to instead reduce their speed to 0 until the frightened condition ends.

Saelethil
2021-09-02, 12:24 PM
Then your Level 1 feature can be something more like:

Beginning at 1st level when a creature becomes frightened of you, its speed is reduced to 0 until the beginning of your next turn. At 2nd level in this class and beyond, you may expend a sorcery point to instead reduce their speed to 0 until the frightened condition ends.

I was thinking some kind of fear aura as a part of the 18th level ability which would go well with what you’ve suggested here.

BerzerkerUnit
2021-09-02, 07:31 PM
I was thinking some kind of fear aura as a part of the 18th level ability which would go well with what you’ve suggested here.

As long as you see what absolute trash the Draconic Sorc capstone is and steer far clear of that you should be fine.

Saelethil
2021-09-03, 07:00 PM
Here's what I'm Thinking for 18

Embrace of Statues
At 18th level, when you petrify another creature you are able to withdraw energy to invigorate yourself. When you succeed in petrifying a creature as the result of your True Gaze of Medusa, you gain temporary Hit Points equal to your Sorcerer level. Also while you are within 20ft 30 feet of one of your statues that is of a creature that is the size of small or larger, you gain the following benefits:

Once per turn you can give yourself advantage on Deception, Intimidation or Persuasion check, you can do this a number of times equal to your Proficiency Bonus and regain all expended uses after a Long Rest. (You've had advantage on Intimidation checks against creatures that can see you since 1st level and I'm not sure how creatures being scared of you would make them believe you)

Creatures have disadvantage when attacking you if you are within 5ft of a statue of someone you petrified.
If a creature succeeds in attacking you and you are within 5ft of a statue, you may use your reaction to have the attack hit the statue instead.
When a statue is destroyed and you are within 20ft 30 feet of it, you regain Sorcery Points equal to half of your Charisma modifier (rounded up). Once this occurs you can't do so again until you have completed a Long Rest.
While you are within 30 feet of a statue you radiate a frightening aura. Any creature that starts its turn or moves within 15 feet of you and can see you must succeed on a Charisma saving throw or be frightened.
A creature that succeeds on this saving throw has advantage on al saving throws against this effect for the next 24 hours.

Maybe it's just me but 20 feet feels like an odd number for these effects. Most features that are intended to work only at close range are 15 feet or less and if they are intended to work more at range they tend to go by increments of 30. That being said, 20' works just fine if that's what you feel fits your design. I would be interested in knowing why you went with 20.

You might also want to give the statues HP for the sake of #3 especially considering #2 Maybe 10 (S), 20(M), 30(L), etc.

My additional feature (#4) would be especially fun in conjunction with BerzerkerUnit's suggestion:

Might be a little too powerful but IMHO a capstone should be a little OP and we all know that Sorcerer 20 isn't doing it.

werescythe
2021-09-04, 02:10 PM
Here's what I'm Thinking for 18

Embrace of Statues
At 18th level, when you petrify another creature you are able to withdraw energy to invigorate yourself. When you succeed in petrifying a creature as the result of your True Gaze of Medusa, you gain temporary Hit Points equal to your Sorcerer level. Also while you are within 20ft 30 feet of one of your statues that is of a creature that is the size of small or larger, you gain the following benefits:

Once per turn you can give yourself advantage on Deception, Intimidation or Persuasion check, you can do this a number of times equal to your Proficiency Bonus and regain all expended uses after a Long Rest. (You've had advantage on Intimidation checks against creatures that can see you since 1st level and I'm not sure how creatures being scared of you would make them believe you)

Creatures have disadvantage when attacking you if you are within 5ft of a statue of someone you petrified.
If a creature succeeds in attacking you and you are within 5ft of a statue, you may use your reaction to have the attack hit the statue instead.
When a statue is destroyed and you are within 20ft 30 feet of it, you regain Sorcery Points equal to half of your Charisma modifier (rounded up). Once this occurs you can't do so again until you have completed a Long Rest.
While you are within 30 feet of a statue you radiate a frightening aura. Any creature that starts its turn or moves within 15 feet of you and can see you must succeed on a Charisma saving throw or be frightened.
A creature that succeeds on this saving throw has advantage on al saving throws against this effect for the next 24 hours.

Maybe it's just me but 20 feet feels like an odd number for these effects. Most features that are intended to work only at close range are 15 feet or less and if they are intended to work more at range they tend to go by increments of 30. That being said, 20' works just fine if that's what you feel fits your design. I would be interested in knowing why you went with 20.

You might also want to give the statues HP for the sake of #3 especially considering #2 Maybe 10 (S), 20(M), 30(L), etc.

Well, I originally picked 20ft as I wanted to avoid the ability being broken, but I do like your suggestions, so I think I'll implement them. :smallsmile:

As for statue health, since they are just petrified creatures, I believe their health is equal to the creature's original health. At least I'm pretty sure that's how petrification works.

Saelethil
2021-09-04, 07:20 PM
I’m glad you like it :smallsmile:
I wasn’t aware that petrification worked like that but it looks like you’re right