PDA

View Full Version : Interesting druidic spells

thirdkingdom
2021-08-31, 08:05 AM
I'm in search of some interesting (i.e. non-Core, potentially 3pp) druidic spells for an OSR D&D thing I'm working on. Either 3.5, Pathfinder, or 5e would work. I've already got the Core books (PHB for 3.5 and 5e, Core rulebook for Pathfinder). Thanks!

Psyren
2021-08-31, 12:09 PM
One of my favorites that PF added is the Entice Fey line, which is basically Planar Ally but for fey creatures. Much like Planar Ally, this can get you some long-lasting backup and fill a role your party might be lacking such as scout, skillmonkey or healer, and because you're not coercing the creature like you would be with a Binding spell, there is much less chance of GM screw.

thirdkingdom
2021-08-31, 06:32 PM
One of my favorites that PF added is the Entice Fey line, which is basically Planar Ally but for fey creatures. Much like Planar Ally, this can get you some long-lasting backup and fill a role your party might be lacking such as scout, skillmonkey or healer, and because you're not coercing the creature like you would be with a Binding spell, there is much less chance of GM screw.

Huh. What book is that from?

Psyren
2021-09-01, 02:21 PM
Huh. What book is that from?

Those spells are in Ultimate Intrigue, so fairly late in PF1's run.

Some other interesting ones from PF1:

Ice Armor - great defensive option early in your career. Stacks with wildshape AND barkskin, and even before those you probably can't afford breastplate anyway (or wear it without hurting your vows.)
Beastspeak - Solves one of the bigger problems of wild shape, likely before you can afford a more permanent solution.
Summon Minor Ally - one word: skunks! 3 of them can end encounters early on, and the enemies suck even if they save.
Planetarium - be able to watch the sky/stars even while underground or indoors
Life Blast - Positive Energy attack!
Outbreak / Epidemic / Plague Bearer - Fun for disease-themed druids. Hey, bacteria and viruses are life too right?
Commune with Nature / Tectonic Communion - If any part of your campaign takes place outdoors this is bound to be useful.
Stone Discus - big damage for casty druids early on.

LibraryOgre
2021-09-02, 12:49 PM
I've always liked the old-school Call Lightning... takes 10 minutes to cast, but gives you long-term ability to call down powerful lightning. A siege weapon.

While later editions turned into a class feature, I also think they should get something like Find Familiar... the animal companion they got in 3e was often too powerful, but a familiar would be thematically appropriate without being too much.

Phhase
2021-09-02, 01:12 PM
Credit where it's due, 5e's Bones of the Earth is pretty neat. It makes a bunch of stone pillars that either mash enemies against the ceiling, or put them at the top of very tall pillars with nowhere to move.

thirdkingdom
2021-09-02, 03:31 PM
Credit where it's due, 5e's Bones of the Earth is pretty neat. It makes a bunch of stone pillars that either mash enemies against the ceiling, or put them at the top of very tall pillars with nowhere to move.

Huh, that's pretty neat. Thanks for the suggestion!

Mutazoia
2021-09-09, 11:11 PM
I was always a fan of the old "Transmute metal to wood" spell. Big Bad wearing plate armor? Not any more! Now he's wearing a kitchen cabinet! Follow it up with "Warp Wood" and juice-press him with his own armor!

Fable Wright
2021-09-10, 01:05 PM
Pathfinder 2e added four new favorites of mine.

Lose the Path, a Reaction cast level 1 spell that causes a creature to be moving through difficult terrain (or you control where they move on a crit fail!) for one action.

Protector Tree, in which you cause a tree to sprout from the earth, and for the next minute it'll body-block any attacks in your allies under its boughs. And the tree sticks around if it isn't destroyed by said attacks!

Burning Blossoms, which creates a 100ft tall tree with burning cherry blossoms that incinerate anyone who stands under it with their falling petals, and is hypnotically beautiful to the point of luring anyone who can see it to stand under its boughs.

Summon Kaiju lets you do a Final Fantasy style summon of Godzilla or your selection of six other kaiju, letting them rampage for two turns before vanishing. It's great.

LibraryOgre
2021-09-11, 12:34 PM
It was a bit of a cheap cop-out, but I also liked the Ironwood spell... turn item of wood into something as strong as iron!