PDA

View Full Version : Help me Make a Kobold Warren.

BardicDuelist
2007-11-15, 10:12 PM
Here's what's happening: My group is going to play an evil party. I they will be up against the standard military and all of that, but I will also have things that they can ally themselves with. My friend said that he would love to be a lizardman leading an army of kobolds. In our world, kobolds have been that underlings to nearly everything, so that is a natural reaction when told that he will be playing an evil warlord.

I want the kobolds to backstab him. They hold a grudge against all of the races who have bullied them, and see chance to get back at some of them.

My Plan: The kobolds will tell the party to lead the enemy into their warren and they will "trap and eradicate the enemies". By enemies, they ofcourse include the party (which a sense motive will reveal, otherwise the group will be surprised).

My Question: Help me make a warren for them to fight at level 2-3. What are some ideas for good traps and creative tatics? I have read Tucker's Kobolds and love the maltov cocktail idea (with baracades and ten foot poles).

bingo_bob
2007-11-15, 10:15 PM
One of the biggest advantages that you can give to the kobolds is to give them slight build, and then make really small tunnels, with murder holes and arrow slits going into the big corridor. The party is too large to follow them into the tunnels, and they'll be fired at all the while.

BardicDuelist
2007-11-15, 10:19 PM
Where can I find the slight build?

Nearly all books are avialable, but I think it's important to say that Races of Dragon and Dragon Magic are not.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-11-15, 10:21 PM
One particularly devious trick for the tactically savvy; create a large, open area with nothing but a shallow moat between the party and a grouping of archers.

It's seems easy enough; after all, the moat's not that far, and it's not deep enough to keep them out. How foolish of those Kobolds to think their tiny moat would work for the tallfolk!

Of course, moving through knee-deep water is difficult terrain; the party is slowed, and the archers can pincushion them at leisure. The same effect makes retreat a poor option, and once they're weakened by the slog, infantry can move in for the coup de grace.

For an even more devious twist, put such a seemingly harmless obstacle along the party's avenue of retreat from a more obvious threat. When they try and 'jump the creek', they're caught from behind.

RTGoodman
2007-11-16, 01:57 AM
Where can I find the slight build?

Nearly all books are avialable, but I think it's important to say that Races of Dragon and Dragon Magic are not.

Rest easy - some pretty decent stuff for Kobolds is actually available online in the Web Enhancements for Races of the Dragon (which, even if this is just a one-time adventure, you should consider buying if you can).

This web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) has the slight build and other variant kobold racial traits, plus kobold weapons, the kobold domain, and a new ritual for kobolds.

This other web enhancement (http://64.223.12.31/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060127a) only has a bunch of traps and the kobold paragon class, but you might find some of it useful.