PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Tripping Archer

4BR4
2021-09-03, 04:28 PM
Hi Ground,

Helping a friend to build a tripping archer:

Fighter 1 - (Deadly Aim), (Point-Blank Shot), Human (Precise Shot)
Fighter 2 - (Rapid Shot)
Fighter 3 - (Dirty Fighting)
Fighter 4 - (Improved Trip)
Fighter 5 - (Combat Reflexes), Weapon Training 1 (Bows)
Fighter 6 - (Relentless Shot)
Fighter 7 - (Greater Trip), Advanced Armor Training (Armored Mastery (Poised Bearing))
Fighter 8 - (Ranged Trip)
Fighter 9 - (Ace Trip) Weapon Training 2 (Bows), Advanced Weapon Training (Fighter’s Tactics)
Fighter 10 - (Tandem Trip)
Fighter 11 - (Improved Precise Shot)
Fighter 12 - (Imposing Bearing)
Fighter 13 - (Weapon Focus), Weapon Training 3 (Bows), Advanced Weapon Training (Warrior Spirit)
Fighter 14 - (Clustered Shot)
Fighter 15 - (Manyshot)
Fighter 16 - (Weapon Specialization)
Fighter 17 - (Greater Weapon Focus), Weapon Training 4 (Bows), Advanced Weapon Training (Focused Weapon)
Fighter 18 - (Greater Weapon Specialization)
Fighter 19 - (Point Blank Master)
Fighter 20 - (Improved Critical), Weapon Master

That's what we did so far: few basic archer feats then full on tripping before dedicate the feats to damage.

Starting stats after racial are 18/17/12/7/13/7, all stat increases on Dex
Human Racial Trait: Giant Ancestry + Trait: Bred for War (seems doesn not stack with Heirloom Weapon) + Trait: Heirloom Weapon

Driving enhancement on the bow between 5th and 6th level.

I was eventually thiking to remove the Weapon Specialization feats and Greater Weapon Focus and add in the Snap Shot feat tree. I could eventually take the three of them back, plus one additional feat with the Old Dog, New Trick alternative capstone (not sure it is worth the two Weapon Training levels of the Veteran of Endless War or the increased stats of Perfect Body, Flawless Mind).

What do you think? Any suggestion?

Thank you.

4BR4

SangoProduction
2021-09-04, 12:00 PM
2 things:
1) You aren't getting Ranged Trip until level 8. That's fairly late, no matter how great it might be.
Sort of sucks to play much of the game without your gimmick. But as long as he either starts relatively close to / past 8, or he's fine just plinking damage from afar, then it should be fine.

2) I assume Spheres of Might aren't in play?

Phhase
2021-09-04, 07:28 PM
Don't forget to pick up an item or ability that grants you the spell Drug Resistance.

4BR4
2021-09-05, 02:54 AM
2 things:
1) You aren't getting Ranged Trip until level 8. That's fairly late, no matter how great it might be.
Sort of sucks to play much of the game without your gimmick. But as long as he either starts relatively close to / past 8, or he's fine just plinking damage from afar, then it should be fine.

2) I assume Spheres of Might aren't in play?

1. We are starting at level 7 and I'll start with a Driving enhancement on the bow
2. Spheres of Might is not allowed

Psyren
2021-09-06, 07:20 PM
Sort of sucks to play much of the game without your gimmick.

1. We are starting at level 7 and I'll start with a Driving enhancement on the bow
2. Spheres of Might is not allowed

What about trip arrows? (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/weapon-descriptions/ammunition/ammunition-bow-arrows-common/ammunition-bow-arrow-trip)

SangoProduction
2021-09-07, 02:41 AM
What about trip arrows? (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/weapon-descriptions/ammunition/ammunition-bow-arrows-common/ammunition-bow-arrow-trip)

Jesus Christ a +5 to CMB? Damn, that's nice.
25 gp. Oh... OK, that makes sense.

But that second half of the sentence twists my brain into a pretzel.

Rynjin
2021-09-07, 05:48 AM

But that second half of the sentence twists my brain into a pretzel.

Default rules for trip is if you fail to trip by 10 or more you get tripped instead (unless your weapon has the Trip property, in which case you can choose to be disarmed).

It's one of those rules nobody knows about, and thus never enforce, but it exists.

Basically it's clarifying that you don't like...somehow tangle your feet in your bowstring and fall over if you **** up.

SangoProduction
2021-09-07, 08:05 AM
Default rules for trip is if you fail to trip by 10 or more you get tripped instead (unless your weapon has the Trip property, in which case you can choose to be disarmed).

It's one of those rules nobody knows about, and thus never enforce, but it exists.

Basically it's clarifying that you don't like...somehow tangle your feet in your bowstring and fall over if you **** up.

That. I understand. The fact that it's acting like the target is the one making the check against you is what's weird.

Psyren
2021-09-07, 09:24 AM

25 per arrow is substantial for low levels but not exorbitant, and it enables this concept from level 1.

That. I understand. The fact that it's acting like the target is the one making the check against you is what's weird.

Yeah the "if it fails its check" is erroneous. Only the attacker makes a check; whoever edited that forgot that maneuvers aren't opposed checks in PF, they're resolved against a static defense (CMD).

Rynjin
2021-09-07, 05:13 PM
Checks out. That book came out like a year after the CRB, if that.