PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Questions About Psicrystal Staves (and Crowns)

Segev
2021-09-04, 11:46 AM
I was going to put this in the simple questions thread, but as I wrote it I realized I was asking for discussion and analysis beyond what is probably "simple."

The psicrystal staff (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Psicrystal_Staves) says, "Docked psicrystals are treated as if their owner’s manifester level is +2 higher than it really is, thus unlocking psicrystal potential early." It requires the psicrystal be mounted for at least 24 hours to gain this benefit, and it loses it if it is unmounted for a total of 12 hours or more in a single day. It refers to getting these bonuses while "docked," and earlier talks about the psicrystal being "docked" or "undocked" as a standard action, and that psicrystals can do this, themselves, if they wish.

In the example of what a first level psion with a psicrystal staff gets out of this +2 to his ML for psicrystal purposes, it mentions "deliver touch powers," which is not that useful if it doesn't extend his reach any (as it wouldn't while in the staff, let alone while in a crown or a harness).

Since it says it loses the benefit if it is unmounted for 12+ hours in a single day, does that mean it retains it even if undocked/unmounted for less than that?

Additionally, it states that, while docked, a psicrystal and the staff "function as a single unit." Does this mean the psicrystal's self-propulsion or even flight abilities apply to the staff? This would make the delivery of touch powers viable again even if the crystal must remain in the staff.

It seems to me (and here's where I realized this is probably its own thread, not a "simple question") that the intent is for the crystal to dock and undock regularly, which combines with the maximum 12 hours out of every 24 it can be unmounted before it loses its connection to the staff to let it keep that +2 ML and other associated benefits even when out and about on its own, as long as it spends the requisite 12 hours (plus one second) out of every 24 physically mounted. Am I misreading this or missing anything? I think the RAW technically are more limited, but I could be wrong about that, too.

Bonus question: The Psicrystal Crown says that the wearer can expend psionic focus to gain the docked psicrystal's Sighted ability for 1 round. Assuming "docked" is interpreted not to mean it has to be physically mounted (as discussed above), would that give the wearer the ability to see from his own position as if he had the Sighted ability, or would it let the wearer see what the psicrystal's own sighted ability sees, i.e. from the psicrystal's position?

One more thing: Would a Setting Stone (priced at 4,000 gp for a continuously-active 1 min/level duration 1st level psi power) that let the staff holder constantly experience the psicrystal's senses as per sense link be reasonable?

Calthropstu
2021-09-04, 02:22 PM
You are correct that the crystal may dock/undock as needed. It retains the +2 undocked, but must dock regularly, and may not be undocked for more than 12 hours out of the day. It may use any abilities it has docked or undocked.

Nothing specifically allows the psicrystal to manipulate the staff, but it does have a strength score when movement is active. So it can manipulate the staff via strength. Poorly.

As for the proposed setting stone, I personally see nothing wrong with it, though it is homebrew and needs gm approval.

Ramza00
2021-09-04, 03:59 PM
Psicrystals are cats, they like to take naps in the heated / sunny area of the house but not too sunny.

Psyren
2021-09-06, 07:15 PM
Bonus question: The Psicrystal Crown says that the wearer can expend psionic focus to gain the docked psicrystal's Sighted ability for 1 round. Assuming "docked" is interpreted not to mean it has to be physically mounted (as discussed above), would that give the wearer the ability to see from his own position as if he had the Sighted ability, or would it let the wearer see what the psicrystal's own sighted ability sees, i.e. from the psicrystal's position?

You gain the ability so it would be your position. And since you have to be carrying the stave to use these abilities anyway, any scenarios where your position and your stave's would be materially different and you can still activate this power feels like an edge case.

Segev
2021-09-06, 07:54 PM
You gain the ability so it would be your position. And since you have to be carrying the stave to use these abilities anyway, any scenarios where your position and your stave's would be materially different and you can still activate this power feels like an edge case.

The question on the crown is predicated on the assumption that the crystal retains its crown-granted abilities while unmounted (but still "docked" in the sense that it's not been unmounted for 12+ hours in the last 24).

Otherwise, yeah, that's pretty much the case.

I am amused by the idea of the psicrystal trying to carry the staff.

Calthropstu
2021-09-06, 10:00 PM
The question on the crown is predicated on the assumption that the crystal retains its crown-granted abilities while unmounted (but still "docked" in the sense that it's not been unmounted for 12+ hours in the last 24).

Otherwise, yeah, that's pretty much the case.

I am amused by the idea of the psicrystal trying to carry the staff.

Ok everyone. Let's optomize the str of the psi crystal so it can carry the staff it is docked to. And even wield it.

"The psicrystal beats it with its staff."