PDA

View Full Version : Artifact Delivered Spells

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-15, 11:37 PM
I am planning to run a plot arc wherein the PCs have to destroy an artifact with a prismatic theme, which can only be destroyed by having the proper sequence of spells cast into it, and all of the spells must be cast from items of artifact level power.

I flipped through the DMG, and only found 3 spells on the list that can be cast by artifacts (passwall, dispel magic, and daylight (via hallow))

I am looking for artifacts that can cast the following spells:

Cone of Cold
Gust of Wind
Disintigrate
Magic Missile

Currently they have to find a staff of the magi. There are a number of artifacts that can cast (un)hallow, which can include a daylight spell, to solve that requirement. I am leaning toward the eye/hand of vecna at the moment.

I would like to use pre-written artifacts if possible. Ideally, this would be a 3-4 part quest, so with the staff of the magi, I would like to only require 3 other artifacts (including one that can also cast (un)hallow).

The party has a ring of 3 wishes (with 1 wish remaining) made by a 30th level wizard (now long deceased), which will count for one of the spells, but I would rather not require they use it. I would prefer it be something they can use if they screw up and fail to get one of the artifacts.

Please list the sourcebook of any artifacts you mention, or provide a link or full write-up to any homebrew artifacts that fit the bill.

Checklist:
Passwall: Staff of the Magi
Dispel Magic: Staff of the Magi
Daylight: ? Artifact with (un)Hallow
Magic Missile: Staff of Rapid Barrage
Passwall: ?
Disintigrate: Sphere of Annihilation ?
Cone of Cold: Ancient Silver Dragon's breath weapon
Gust of Wind: ?

Mewtarthio
2007-11-16, 12:17 AM
The trouble is that Artifacts are generally far more powerful than mere spell-like abilities. It seems like kind of a waste for an artifact to be casting magic missile.

Regardless, you could get a Sphere of Annihilation for the disintigrate effect. Its mobile counterpart, the Umbral Blot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/umbralBlot.htm), has its annihilation effect described as disintigrate, so its not much of a stretch to say that the Sphere of Annihilation counts for that purpose. You might want to have it instantly destroyed after that, of course, or they'll just ram the Sphere into the artifact (as a side note, the Sphere of Annihilation is a pretty dangerous thing to carry around with you, since you can't keep stored in anything and any guy with high Intelligence can turn it against you).

For daylight, you can use The Cup and Talisman (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/artifacts.htm#cupandTalismanoftheDemigod)

If you don't might simply using an Epic Magic Item instead of a proper Artifact, you could take the Staff of Rapid Barrage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/staffs.htm#rapidBarrage) to duplicate magic missile. I'm not sure where else you'd find an artifact capable of such a lowly spell.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-16, 12:42 AM
Staff of Rapid Barrage will work for the Magic Missile. I don't think the party could take an Umbral Blot. The daylight for the Cup and Talisman is targetted on the cup, so that wouldn't work for the daylight spell.

Chronos
2007-11-16, 12:49 AM
Not quite an artifact, and not quite a spell effect, but for the Cone of Cold, you might allow the breath of an epic-aged white or silver dragon. Hey, you set the rules; it's OK if you say it's OK.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-16, 12:51 AM
Not quite an artifact, and not quite a spell effect, but for the Cone of Cold, you might allow the breath of an epic-aged white or silver dragon. Hey, you set the rules; it's OK if you say it's OK.

. . . and they are being sent on the quest by an ancient silver dragon. Cone of Cold, check!

Mewtarthio
2007-11-16, 01:22 AM
I don't think the party could take an Umbral Blot.

Well, of course not. I meant that you could count the Sphere of Annihilation's touch effect as a disintigrate for bypassing the color.

The daylight for the Cup and Talisman is targetted on the cup, so that wouldn't work for the daylight spell.

The daylight has to be cast on the wall? Are you sure? Daylight is a touch spell, and touching a prismatic wall, even one with only two layers left (namely, insanity and random planeshift), is a risky proposition at best.