PDA

View Full Version : Monastic Initiate: Feat (PEACH)

Saelethil
2021-09-04, 01:43 PM
I've been ruminating on a feat in the same vein as Eldritch Adept, Martial Adept, and Metamagic Adept for Monk's ki abilities. I'm sure that what I have so far is too powerful but I'm not sure how it should be trimmed to keep the flavor. I also wanted it to be a better pick for monks than other classes in the same way that the above are for their base classes. Here's what have so far:

Monastic Initiate
You have spent time training and meditating amongst some monastic order. You have gained proficiency with one weapon of your choice and your base AC has become 11 + your Dexterity modifier. Additionally, you gain 2 ki points which can be used as a bonus action in the following ways:

You can take the Dash, Disengage, or Dodge actions.
You can make one one weapon attack.
You can make two unarmed attacks.

You regain all expended ki points when you complete a short or long rest. If you are a monk, the weapon you gain proficiency with through this feat counts as a monk weapon for you, regardless of any other restrictions and these ki points are added to your total pool of ki.

My initial thought is to trim back the ki options or make them refresh on a long rest for non monks but I would love some input.

werescythe
2021-09-04, 02:16 PM
I think removing the AC increase would probably balance it out a bit, maybe replace it so that the player can increase their Dex or Wis by 1. Maybe have the weapon you gain proficiency in (if you keep this) exclusively to weapons that monks are proficient with.

I'd also suggest having it that you regain the Ki points on a Long Rest, unless you're a Monk, which allows your to take them during both a Short and Long Rest.

Saelethil
2021-09-04, 07:14 PM
I think removing the AC increase would probably balance it out a bit, maybe replace it so that the player can increase their Dex or Wis by 1. Maybe have the weapon you gain proficiency in (if you keep this) exclusively to weapons that monks are proficient with.

I'd also suggest having it that you regain the Ki points on a Long Rest, unless you're a Monk, which allows your to take them during both a Short and Long Rest.

Yeah, the LR ki recharge makes sense.
I feel like you’re overestimating the AC. It’s really only beneficial to a dex build without studded leather or better but if it’s too powerful I can drop it. I just liked the flavor.
Part of the reason I worded the weapon proficiency the way I did was to make this a boost to the monk the way that metamagic adept is for sorcerers. Most classes that would want this feat already have the weapons they would want. I can really only see rogues grabbing a longbow being the big exception but giving a monk access to a glave is intended.
I think I will cut the weapon attack from the ki options and bring it down to 1 unarmed strike.

sandmote
2021-09-04, 07:57 PM
The AC calculation is mechanically fine, but giving it, weapon proficiency, and Ki seems like a bit much. I wouldn't allow the feat to give you proficiency with heavy weapons, and specify the uses of ki cost 1 ki point each.

Saelethil
2021-09-04, 08:50 PM
The AC calculation is mechanically fine, but giving it, weapon proficiency, and Ki seems like a bit much. I wouldn't allow the feat to give you proficiency with heavy weapons, and specify the uses of ki cost 1 ki point each.

I want it to have something other than ki that would benefit a monk so I could take out the weapon proficiency but I kind of want something else then? What if the AC calculation is a +1 to unarmored defense? That feels too strong and maybe I'm overthinking it.

Monastic Initiate
You have spent time training and meditating amongst some monastic order. Your base AC has become 11 + your Dexterity modifier. Additionally, you gain 2 ki points and can expend 1 as a bonus action to do one of the following:

You can make one unarmed attack.
You regain all expended ki points when you complete a long rest. If you are a monk, your unarmored AC increases by 1 and these ki points are added to your total pool of ki.

Does this seem more reasonable?

sandmote
2021-09-05, 04:22 PM
I meant something like the following, instead of stripping out the weapon entirely. More like the following:

Monastic Initiate
You have spent time training and meditating amongst some monastic order. You gain proficiency with one weapon that lacks the heavy property of your choice. When you aren't wearing armor you can calculate your AC as 11 + your Dexterity modifier...

You can still take a versatile weapon or the whip or use it to get proficiency with some magic weapons, you just can't pick up a d10 reach, 1d12, or 2d6 weapon which hopefully balances the power a bit.

Saelethil
2021-09-05, 10:16 PM
I meant something like the following, instead of stripping out the weapon entirely. More like the following:

Monastic Initiate
You have spent time training and meditating amongst some monastic order. You gain proficiency with one weapon that lacks the heavy property of your choice. When you aren't wearing armor you can calculate your AC as 11 + your Dexterity modifier...

You can still take a versatile weapon or the whip or use it to get proficiency with some magic weapons, you just can't pick up a d10 reach, 1d12, or 2d6 weapon which hopefully balances the power a bit.

I see what you're saying now, sorry for the confusion, I think that'll work.

Monastic Initiate
You have spent time training and meditating amongst some monastic order. You gain proficiency with one weapon of your choice, this weapon can be any simple or martial weapon lacking the heavy property. While you are wearing no armor and not wielding a shield, your AC equals 11 + your Dexterity modifier. Additionally, you gain 2 ki points and can expend 1 as a bonus action to do one of the following:

You can make two unarmed attacks.
You regain all expended ki points when you complete a long rest. If you are a monk, the weapon you gain proficiency with through this feat counts as a monk weapon for you regardless of any other restrictions, your unarmored AC increases by 1, and these ki points are added to your total pool of ki.

The AC boost too much with the weapon isn't it?

Foolwise
2021-09-11, 01:01 AM
I think the AC and extra weapon prof is too much. Look at the comparable feats-

Fighting Initiate has a weapon prereq and only gives access to a fighting style.
Metamagic Initiate has a spellcasting prereq and only gives metamagic options.
Eldritch Adept has a spellcasting prereq and only gives one invocation.
Martial Adept has no prereqs and gives two maneuvers and only one superiority die.
Magic Initiate has no prereqs and gives you two cantrips and one 1st level spell from a single class.
Artificer Initiate follows Magic Initiate trading one cantrip for a tool prof.

Metamagic and Martial Adept are the closest parallels with their sorcery points/superiority die. Compared to these, the Monk feat should simply be 2 ki points that can be used for FoB/SotW/PD. I would maintain their short rest recharge. No reason to have monk ki recharge on a SR while the feat's ki recharges on a LR. Ki is ki and this is the 'monk' feat anyway.

Now unarmed strike damage will still only be 1 damage (+STR) for non-monks/tavern brawlers. Copying Tavern Brawler and changing the damage of unarmed strikes to a d4 would be a good rider for this feat. For monks, it will increase their unarmed strike damage by one size. Considering a sorcerer can take the Metamagic feat and gain two sorcery points along with two metamagic options or a Battle Master grabbing Martial Adept and gaining two extra maneuvers and a superiority die, I feel that gives a monk incentive to take this feat besides the two extra ki points.

So the feat would read-
Ascetic Adept

Rigorous training and self-discipline has allowed you to harness the mystic energy of ki. You gain 2 ki points (these points are added to any ki points you have from another source) and can be used toward these ki features:
Flurry of Blows- Immediately after you take the Attack action on your turn, you can spend 1 ki point to make two unarmed strikes as a bonus action.
Patient Defense- You can spend 1 ki point to take the Dodge action as a bonus action on your turn.
Step of the Wind- You can spend 1 ki point to take the Disengage or Dash action on your turn, and your jump distance is doubled for the turn.
You regain all expended ki points when you finish a short or long rest.
Your focused training on your inner self has increased the power of your unarmed strikes. Your unarmed strike damage die increases by 1 size (use a d4 if damage is 1, d6 if damage is d4, etc.).

luuma
2021-09-11, 06:47 AM
I think the AC and extra weapon prof is too much. Look at the comparable feats-

Fighting Initiate has a weapon prereq and only gives access to a fighting style.
Metamagic Initiate has a spellcasting prereq and only gives metamagic options.
Eldritch Adept has a spellcasting prereq and only gives one invocation.
Martial Adept has no prereqs and gives two maneuvers and only one superiority die.
Magic Initiate has no prereqs and gives you two cantrips and one 1st level spell from a single class.
Artificer Initiate follows Magic Initiate trading one cantrip for a tool prof.

Metamagic and Martial Adept are the closest parallels with their sorcery points/superiority die. Compared to these, the Monk feat should simply be 2 ki points that can be used for FoB/SotW/PD. I would maintain their short rest recharge. No reason to have monk ki recharge on a SR while the feat's ki recharges on a LR. Ki is ki and this is the 'monk' feat anyway.

Now unarmed strike damage will still only be 1 damage (+STR) for non-monks/tavern brawlers. Copying Tavern Brawler and changing the damage of unarmed strikes to a d4 would be a good rider for this feat. For monks, it will increase their unarmed strike damage by one size. Considering a sorcerer can take the Metamagic feat and gain two sorcery points along with two metamagic options or a Battle Master grabbing Martial Adept and gaining two extra maneuvers and a superiority die, I feel that gives a monk incentive to take this feat besides the two extra ki points.

So the feat would read-
Ascetic Adept

Rigorous training and self-discipline has allowed you to harness the mystic energy of ki. You gain 2 ki points (these points are added to any ki points you have from another source) and can be used toward these ki features:
Flurry of Blows- Immediately after you take the Attack action on your turn, you can spend 1 ki point to make two unarmed strikes as a bonus action.
Patient Defense- You can spend 1 ki point to take the Dodge action as a bonus action on your turn.
Step of the Wind- You can spend 1 ki point to take the Disengage or Dash action on your turn, and your jump distance is doubled for the turn.
You regain all expended ki points when you finish a short or long rest.
Your focused training on your inner self has increased the power of your unarmed strikes. Your unarmed strike damage die increases by 1 size (use a d4 if damage is 1, d6 if damage is d4, etc.).

I feel like this is significantly stronger than monks than before, but that's probably a good thing.

I also think that 11+dex AC is virtually irrelevant and just makes the feat better for casual players without making it any stronger for a minmaxer - I think you can leave that in, no sweat. It's basically a ribbon - every class has a way to get their AC above 11+dex from level 1 onwards.

edit: upon rereading Ive just seen the weapon prof could make a greatsword a monk weapon and personally I'd dislike that effect. I think monks should feel different from other classes, but if an optimised build has them mucking about with a greatsword then that really throws off their whole aesthetic

Foolwise
2021-09-11, 01:21 PM
edit: upon rereading Ive just seen the weapon prof could make a greatsword a monk weapon and personally I'd dislike that effect. I think monks should feel different from other classes, but if an optimised build has them mucking about with a greatsword then that really throws off their whole aesthetic

You quoted me so I'll note I cut out the weapon prof from my take, but it had been modified prior to my post to prof in a martial weapon lacking the heavy property which would rule out your greatsword example.

Tasha's Dedicated Weapon monk feature allows monks to make any weapon a monk weapon provided it does not have the heavy or special properties, so if the OP goes that route I would be sure to exclude weapons with the special property (lance and net). Technically Tasha's also reqs monks to have prof with the weapon to use Dedicated Weapon, which to me kinda defeats the purpose of the feature (expanding the monk's available list of monk weapons) as you would be forced to gain the weapon prof through either a racial feature or multiclassing into barb/fighter/pally/ranger so this feat could help in that regard. But as a DM I would reverse that req. A longsword isn't that much different to wield than a shortsword and the monk took a rest to infuse their ki into the longsword, making the weapon more of an extension of their own body. IMO that would help mitigate any differences the monk would have using a longsword as opposed to a shortsword. Dedicated Weapon should give prof to the expanded list, not req it beforehand.

Back to the OP, I am fine with the added weapon prof (provided it excludes heavy and special weapons), but I believe the increased unarmed strike damage die is more beneficial. Flurry of Blows is a trap option without it, even if I only see rogues getting any real use out of FoB (two extra chances for sneak attack). All other classes will want the feat to acquire a bonus action dodge/disengage/dash. The AC ribbon is pretty much worthless as every character will have access to a higher AC via other means.

sandmote
2021-09-11, 11:32 PM
The AC boost too much with the weapon isn't it? I mostly haven't been commenting here because I don't think it is too much and don't have much else to say.

I think you're reading the initial version and not the latest one. Latest has this line:

You gain proficiency with one weapon of your choice, this weapon can be any simple or martial weapon lacking the heavy property.