PDA

View Full Version : New player wants to be a werewolf

Redhood101
2021-09-05, 09:25 AM
I'm going to be running Curse of Strahd for a group of friends very soon, as in session 0 is tomorrow, and while most have experience with dnd, we will have one brand new player (I think don't know what a d20 is). She told me that she wants to play a werewolf and while I know that the monster manual has rules on werewolf PCs, and honestly, I feel like a werewolf PC could fit super nicely into the atmosphere of Curse of Strahd.

But I'm not sure how powerful a werewolf PC is. The info in the monster manual doesn't seem crazy powerful, but I have no experience in this field, and I am not sure how powerful it would end up being. Also, since this is a new player, I feel like it might be a bit of rules overload.

If anyone has advice for running for a werewolf PC, I would love some help.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-09-05, 09:30 AM
I'd advise against it. Heavily. The biggest issue is that lycanthropes are flat out immune to damage from nonmagical/non-silvered weapons.

If you have access, might I suggest the Shifter race from Eberron? They're also know as the weretouched, and they're a good compromise between normal characters and lycanthropes.

Zhorn
2021-09-05, 09:39 AM
Seconding trying to steer them towards the shifter race option.
Longtooth Shifter + Path of the Beast Barbarian will given them lots of features that'll allow them to fight like an animal without needing weapons while raging. Strong, durable, running on instinct, attacking with tooth and claw.
They can fluff it as being a different kind of lycanthrope, natural/evolved form rather than dealing with a curse, etc.
Gives them most of what they want, but keeps them in the realms of PC options.

As a general rule, for both narrative and gameplay reasons, the lycanthrope statblocks in the monster manual should be kept out of the hands of PCs. Not that you cannot use them, but their resistances make them stronger than you'd initially think, and if you hand them out without negative consequences it diminishes the idea of them being curses, and generally undesirable afflictions.
If the players get all the benefits and no downside, then everyone will want it as at that point it just becomes a character buff.

Keltest
2021-09-05, 09:41 AM
You could also steer them towards playing a druid. Its not a werewolf, exactly, but it hits several of the same shapeshifting beats.

No brains
2021-09-05, 09:51 AM
I'd recommend talking to them about why they want to play a werewolf.

Being a straight MM werewolf is a powerful option (though not a hard to beat one for a proactive DM), but power, or even that particular style of power might not be what the player wants. I've had players want seemingly OP choices just so they could have a tail.

If they want to turn into an angery beast, Path of Beast and Longtooth Shifter are decent choices that also add a bit of werewolf toughness if that's also desired.

If they want to turn into a doggo, Druid could be a good match- though spell selection might be overwhelming for a new player.

If they seriously don't want to get hurt unless an enemy has silver weapons, indulge the newbie and have NPCs attack with fire, cold, necrotic, magic, and other things that can bypass that.

There's lots of options, so if you talk it out, that person might get enough of their definition of 'werewolf' even if it isn't what D&D calls a werewolf. Backstory fluff like an unsuccessful experimental cure or divine intervention can explain why they're different from out-of-the-box werewolves the party might encounter.

False God
2021-09-05, 10:48 AM
The mundane damage immunity is a big deal....early on.

It depends on how quickly your party is going to find magic loot. A +1 magic sword or a silvered dagger is all it takes to beat their damage reduction. The stat bonues are not, IME, that big of a deal.

Beyond that you'll have to address if they have control over the effect or not. If they do, are they still infectious? If they don't, will they become an NPC under DM control when they "wolf out"? Will you just instruct the player to violently attack everything?

Keep in mind the stat bump is only "up to 15". I would treat this as a +5 strength, just so that a player doesn't point-buy their way down to a 8 strength hoping the were-bonus will boost that way up. You could also say the bonus only applies when they're in wolf form.

Talking to your player is also a good idea to find out if they're looking for a power boost, or to play a werewolf in a classic gothic horror setting. See if they'd be okay being a werewolf without the damage immunity (maybe suggest 2 damage reduction instead).

JonBeowulf
2021-09-05, 10:52 AM
... we will have one brand new player (I think don't know what a d20 is). She told me that she wants to play a werewolf...
Unless she's willing to go with "Human with lycanthropy who sometimes shifts into a nerfed version of werewolf" then absolutely not. I might even deny the request even if she did agree. New players have enough challenges learning the core rules; no reason to add homebrew stuff on top of it.

Also, as a seasoned player I'd be pretty annoyed that you gave a powerful PC to someone who doesn't know the character sheet layout or understand combat actions. Perhaps your group is different, but that wouldn't last long with mine. We'd let her get herself killed after a couple of sessions.

CheddarChampion
2021-09-05, 10:54 AM
In addition to the Shifter option, they could also play as a Totem Barbarian and flavor their rage as a transformation. Maybe even use both?

There's also the Lycan subclass of Blood Hunter, but I'm not going to advocate for it.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-09-05, 10:54 AM
The mundane damage immunity is a big deal....early on.

It depends on how quickly your party is going to find magic loot. A +1 magic sword or a silvered dagger is all it takes to beat their damage reduction. The stat bonues are not, IME, that big of a deal.

It's a big deal for everyone early on. Issue is, it ages out a lot faster for monsters than PCs. Do you know how few creatures in Curse of Strahd are capable of dealing magical/silvered physical damage (unless the DM specifically goes out of the way to arm them with such)?

I'm not warning because of inter-party conflict. I'm warning from a DM perspective.

JNAProductions
2021-09-05, 10:56 AM
Ask why the player wants to be a werewolf. If it's "Werewolves are awesome!" work with them to use existing options, perhaps with refluffing, or a homebrew werewolf-esque class/race/combo of both to scratch that itch. We can help with that, here on the forums, if you like. :)

PhantomSoul
2021-09-05, 10:59 AM
It's a big deal for everyone early on. Issue is, it ages out a lot faster for monsters than PCs. Do you know how few creatures in Curse of Strahd are capable of dealing magical/silvered physical damage (unless the DM specifically goes out of the way to arm them with such)?

I'm not warning because of inter-party conflict. I'm warning from a DM perspective.

Yeah... you have to go out of your way a lot of the time to make a mundane-immune PC feel threatened... which means one of two things: (a) they won't be and it sucks [for them potentially, and likely for the rest of the party], or (b) it'll feel like the DM is targeting them whenever it comes up [and honestly, the DM basically needs to target them for it to be pseudobalanced across party members, which it still isn't]. It might also basically get you stuck increasing the magic item prevalence by accident -- you have bandits... who can't do anything against them, and you're tired of making up spellcasters and just ignoring the existence of beasts and tons of other creatures, so the bandit(s) now have a magic weapon, so there's now a magic weapon (or many!).

I'm definitely on team fluff (lots of options above).

False God
2021-09-05, 11:09 AM

I'll preface with the fact that I'm not super familiar with 5E's Curse of Strahd, and my recollection is mostly from 3E's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. I recall a lot of the enemies either being skilled hunters of some kind (such as Strahd's various vampire agents) or magical creatures (like werewolves and ghosts). The former should be skilled enough to at least carry a +1 magic weapon and the latter I would rule as being able to get past a lycanthrope's damage given their magical nature.

As a DM, I don't really care of the rats and zombies and kobolds can't challenge you. There are plenty of non-lycanthropy ways to make those early-game enemies pointless as it is.

MeimuHakurei
2021-09-05, 11:24 AM
Seconding trying to steer them towards the shifter race option.
Longtooth Shifter + Path of the Beast Barbarian will given them lots of features that'll allow them to fight like an animal without needing weapons while raging. Strong, durable, running on instinct, attacking with tooth and claw.
They can fluff it as being a different kind of lycanthrope, natural/evolved form rather than dealing with a curse, etc.
Gives them most of what they want, but keeps them in the realms of PC options.

As a general rule, for both narrative and gameplay reasons, the lycanthrope statblocks in the monster manual should be kept out of the hands of PCs. Not that you cannot use them, but their resistances make them stronger than you'd initially think, and if you hand them out without negative consequences it diminishes the idea of them being curses, and generally undesirable afflictions.
If the players get all the benefits and no downside, then everyone will want it as at that point it just becomes a character buff.

I second this, either that or Circle of the Moon Druid. These also turn into wolves to go to town. Technically, even a multiclass between the two is a possibility.

P. G. Macer
2021-09-05, 11:32 AM
I'll preface with the fact that I'm not super familiar with 5E's Curse of Strahd, and my recollection is mostly from 3E's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. I recall a lot of the enemies either being skilled hunters of some kind (such as Strahd's various vampire agents) or magical creatures (like werewolves and ghosts). The former should be skilled enough to at least carry a +1 magic weapon and the latter I would rule as being able to get past a lycanthrope's damage given their magical nature.

As a DM, I don't really care of the rats and zombies and kobolds can't challenge you. There are plenty of non-lycanthropy ways to make those early-game enemies pointless as it is.

As someone who has both DM’d CoS for 5e, there are far fewer NPCs doing magical B/P/S damage here than in 3e. The main NPC who I recall using a magic weapon is Ezmerelda d’Avenir, who is more likely to fight alongside the PCs than against them.

Keltest
2021-09-05, 11:41 AM
As someone who has both DM’d CoS for 5e, there are far fewer NPCs doing magical B/P/S damage here than in 3e. The main NPC who I recall using a magic weapon is Ezmerelda d’Avenir, who is more likely to fight alongside the PCs than against them.

I do think this is an important distinction. With a homebrew campaign you can make them fight more magical enemies. In a module, doing so might throw off the balance in other important ways, or if youre just giving them +0 weapons, your werewolf is going to feel singled out, which is especially not good for a new player.

Anonymouswizard
2021-09-05, 12:05 PM
First off, are there werewolves in the campoaign as written? While PC/NPC equivalence is not a key part of 5e, if the PC's werewolf powers don't work like NPC werewolf powers you might get resentment, especially if the PC gets less benefit from being a lycanthrope.

No NPC werewolves? This is less likely to be an issue.

I'll repeat the 'what does the player want out of lycanthropy' question. If shee wants to smash everything as a wolf-man refluffing Barbarian Rage as wolfing out is likely your best bet (and the Path of Beast is basically 'werewolf the subclass' anyway.

If being part humanoid part wolf is more important the the Shifter is probably better. Shifters get fewer benefits from shiftiong but they also let the player pick whatever class they want.

If the desire is to be able to become a normal and/or dire wolf than the main options are Druid or spells. Sadly I don't believe there's a 1st level spell that does it, which stops you from nabbing the ability via Magic Initiate.

However, if the desire is about the losing control and related drama we may have a bigger problem.

hippyprophets
2021-09-05, 12:23 PM
I didn't see this suggestion above, but if your player wants to live out the werewolf fantasy, Matt Mercer's Blood Hunter class could be a good fit. The Order of the Lycan lets you transform into a werewolf, with resistance to nonmagical, nonsilver damage and some wicked claws. It could be a cool direction for her/him/them, and it's a fun class!

strangebloke
2021-09-05, 12:27 PM
Joining the choir of "absolutely do not let them do that."

There's enough abilities around to make them feel like a werewolf without giving them access to blatantly-busted monster statblocks, something that is conventionally locked to 9th level spells in this edition.

False God
2021-09-05, 01:15 PM

Ah, well that's pretty toned down.

Personally I'd still be down with letting the player still be a werewolf in that context, but either without damage immunity or reduced to some mind DR.

I don't know if 5E CoS has were-creature hunters, but I'd probably toss some in for good measure.

Intregus182
2021-09-05, 01:19 PM
Im going to go ahead say if your a seasoned DM let them do it.

Just cause the MM says they have immunity to non magical damage doesnt mean you havr to let the player have that....same thing with anything else you find to be a problem.

Better yet depending on how much home brew you want to allow im sure someone has made a werewolf class or subclass of a barbarian or fighter. Or you could use the free blood hunter order of the lycan class from critical role. Etc.

GentlemanVoodoo
2021-09-05, 01:32 PM
I'm going to be running Curse of Strahd for a group of friends very soon, as in session 0 is tomorrow, and while most have experience with dnd, we will have one brand new player (I think don't know what a d20 is). She told me that she wants to play a werewolf and while I know that the monster manual has rules on werewolf PCs, and honestly, I feel like a werewolf PC could fit super nicely into the atmosphere of Curse of Strahd.

But I'm not sure how powerful a werewolf PC is. The info in the monster manual doesn't seem crazy powerful, but I have no experience in this field, and I am not sure how powerful it would end up being. Also, since this is a new player, I feel like it might be a bit of rules overload.

Some ideas...

1. Have them play a beast barbarian from Tasha's. The werewolf transformation is during rage but they are getting claws, bite, etc. so it covers the motif enough.

2. Have them play as a shifter. This will be less of the classic werewolf and be more in line with how werewolves are from the movie Teen Wolf (less monstrous raging creatures, but still hairy wolf like beasts).

3. Have them play as a Circle of the Moon Druid focusing on the wolf and bear options. Wolf is self explanatory but bears can be refluffed as the bi-pedal form of the werewolf. You may need to homebrew some additional options on your part if a higher level equivilant animal is not available.

4. Agree they can have the werewolf as is from the monster manual using the "Player Characters as Lycanthropes" but when transformed will become Chaotic Evil and under DM control. Stress that Lycanthropy is a curse, not a superpower. Further stipulate this must be in agreement with the other players at the table. If there is objections, then it is a no go. If agreed then stress that player death from PC's is a viable outcome to this form of play. If that happens then there is no excuse for getting upset they where killed off by the party.

5 Agree they can have the werewolf as is from the monster manual using the "Player Characters as Lycanthropes" but employee a modified version of the Sanity Score rules in the DMG that determines how much they have control over the curse. Enforce a check when they decided to transform and other ill opportunities as you see fit. On success they are able to transform with no issues but are limited to the entry of abilities and effects as shown in the stat block. I would suggest removing the damage immunities and declaring while transformed they are unable to use any class or racial features. If they fail, you get control.

DwarfFighter
2021-09-05, 02:23 PM
A full Werewolf has 9 hit dice, so maybe scale its powers accordingly for a PC werewolf?

E.g. started a basic human with some extra traits, e.g. no immunities at level 1, resistance at level 5, full immunities at level 9. Multi attack with bite and claw at level 7. Tweaks like that.

Amdy_vill
2021-09-05, 02:34 PM

I would suggest looking at one of the Werewolf class options or flavoring shifters as more werewolves. Blood hunter and Accursed are two great tried party classes with werewolf options. Personally, I think Bloodhunter is a better option as a class of them. it's simpler than the Accursed. but I would suggest flavoring shifters it is a great option and easy to do. There are some other options. Grim hallows books have new systems for vampires, werewolves, and liches. that might be a good choice. I would suggest one of these 4 they are all really well balanced but there are other Werewolf options out there.

I would say stay away from the Werewolf rules in the DMG they're bad. I would suggest the same for all similar creatures. Personally, I run all 4 options at my table when I get the chance. as I'm a big fan of multiple paths to the same idea.

Lorka
2021-09-05, 02:43 PM
I would of course say yes to that. Next step is figuring out what that means, she cannot be a Monster Manual Werewolf, but there is many other ways to do it as others have mentioned.

I would suggest looking at the Blood Hunter class.

Segev
2021-09-05, 03:09 PM
The big consideration is, as people have pointed out, the flat-out immunity to damage from nonmagical weapons not made of silver. How many fights are there with creatures that lack magical weapon damage, silver weapons, or the ability to cause damage via non-weapon means? (Remember: natural attacks are generally "weapon attacks," so would qualify here.)

If the enemies start to know about the party, will they know of the werewolf in the party? If so, they can prepare by getting magic, alchemist's fire or acid, silvered weapons, or even magical weapons.

If you're giving out magic items to the players early on, consider the lycanthropy as a rare or very rare magic item. And also consider how much you're going to use the curse aspect, and what you want that to entail.

Mjolnirbear
2021-09-05, 03:31 PM
In addition to seconding shifter, path of the beast barbarian, moon druid, and blood hunter order of lycan as options, I'd like to add an additional consideration.

Tasha's created the Beast of Land, Beast of Sky and Beast of the Sea. The problem with the Moon druid is that at some point, they can't access the animal they want (say, cave lion) or the animal form they want has been out levelled.

The Beasts give a template for an animal form that increases with the strength of the caster, which may enable them to pick their beast and stay with it the entire campaign, getting progressively stronger as they level.

If you have trouble home brewing or want someone to help you out with making that into a class feature that is useable for the entire campaign, I'd suggest posting it into the homebrew forums so they can take a look at it for you.

Scarytincan
2021-09-05, 06:19 PM
Could also consider looking at van richten's book for the tweaks they did in there to wereraven, kinda tones things down a bit from immune to non silver / magic weapons

Keravath
2021-09-05, 10:15 PM
In general, I'd never let a player play a werewolf unless it was a homebrewed game with everyone playing monstrous races.

Unlike current popular fiction, the D&D werewolf is a curse. It is an almost uncontrollable homicidal creature when the moon is full. It is possible to resist the curse except at the full moon when the creature becomes uncontrolled.

However, mechanically, there are no downsides to the lycanthrope. Lycanthropes gain immunity to non-magical/non-silvered BPS damage, often an improvement to a stat and AC. The damage immunity is very powerful especially through tier 2 unless the DM intentionally distorts the game balance by making silvered or magical damage common.

So, I would not allow a PC to play a werewolf in a game I was running.

---

In addition, in CoS, I would never allow it because of particular aspects of the story itself. ALL of the lycanthropes in Barovia are servants of Strahd. There is a tribe of werewolves that has some very evil practices. They serve Strahd out of fear and he occasionally allows some of them passage through the mists.

CoS also has very few creatures capable of doing magical damage. Even Strahd can only damage a lycanthrope with his necrotic damage - they are immune to his piercing or bludgeoning damage. There are several high CR creatures in CoS that would be almost powerless against a lycanthrope with immunity to BPS damage (e.g tree blight, Baba Lysaga's hut etc). As a DM, you would have to almost completely rebalance many of the combats in CoS or simply give the creatures the ability to deal magical BPS damage to bypass the werewolf immunity in order to keep it remotely balanced.

Finally, CoS is a gothic horror setting but it is also mostly designed so that the players are the "heroes" - not the evil creatures they are there to defeat.

---

I would second the other folks who have suggested asking why the new player wants to be a werewolf. If they don't know much about the game then they may have a character reason that doesn't require being an actual werewolf - as mentioned, a moon druid can change into regular wolves and dire wolves among other creatures while some races and spells also provide some shape shifting capabilities.

Bearserk
2021-09-06, 04:50 AM
I also would suggest a path of the beast barbarian or a moon druid, maybe multiclass both.
Another good option could be the shapechange dark gift from the Van Richtens Guide to Ravenloft.
And there was a UA Feat for Yuan ti to shapeshange into a snake at will so maybe replace the snake with a wolf.
A vhuman or custom lineage are a great choice besides a shifter if you take the feat.

Clistenes
2021-09-06, 05:24 AM
As several people have said, Longtooth OR Razorclaw Shifter Totem Barbarian, maybe multiclass as Moon Druid later.

But most importantly, you have to explain the player that his character is NOT going to be more powerful than regular squishy humans. They will probably expect their "Werewolf" to trounce normal people, and they will feel frustrated when they realize that their build is all fluff and it is in fact weaker that vanilla warrior class...

Xihirli
2021-09-06, 06:04 AM
Here. Werewolf as a class (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MJxHrXkYDFnSqVmEG4-O54AeEf_VEha9dtpsDTZGnyM/edit?usp=sharing).
I worked very hard on it.
(It's barbarian, I changed the flavor of some abilities and found/replaced "Barbarian" and "Rage")

Chronos
2021-09-06, 06:14 AM
Am I the only one amused by the word choice in "refluffing" some existing option as werewolf-related?

Asmotherion
2021-09-06, 06:55 AM
Roll with it, and gradually give them powers as they level up. Perhaps use a homebrew class progression instead of a regular class. May I suggest the Bloodhunter class written by Matt Mercer? It's fairly balanced, and allows the PC to effectivelly be a Werewolf if they pick the right subclass.

Otherwise, there's always the option to be a Druid or Totem Barbarian and changing the specifics to match a werewolf, if you prefear to stick to core material.

CapnWildefyr
2021-09-06, 08:08 PM
In general, I'd never let a player play a werewolf unless it was a homebrewed game with everyone playing monstrous races.

Unlike current popular fiction, the D&D werewolf is a curse. It is an almost uncontrollable homicidal creature when the moon is full. It is possible to resist the curse except at the full moon when the creature becomes uncontrolled.

I agree.

What is the player's motivation? If she expects a teen werewolf romance novel, DnD doesn't fit that well.

Now, having said that, isn't there an Uthgardt tribe of werewolves? If you want to play someone trying to escape the curse, perfect fit. You can easily rule that when away from the tribe, you can hold it at bay -- somehow. (Maybe become a logger? :smallwink:) Also, I think you're a natural werewolf, not a cursed werewolf. But you can tweak that motif -- provided that player is not trying to gain immunities and powers that others can't have. More like the Cat People movie than American Werewolf in London.

Personally, I think having a werewolf player ends up being unfair to everyone else in the party, but there you go. (Of course, when you change you tend to ruin or lose magic and stuff - being a lycan isn't like being a druid.)

Maybe you can suggest trying to play something less complicated for a first character?

KorvinStarmast
2021-09-07, 10:00 AM
If anyone has advice for running for a werewolf PC, I would love some help. My advice: don't. Lycanthropy is a curse. If during the course of the adventure the character is bitten by a werewolf and turns into one at the full moon, which is once every thirty days, that might be interesting.

But treat them as under the spell confusion. They might attack enemies, they might attack allies.

Werewolf is in the MM, not the PHB. Suggest you leave it that way.

Also, at level 5 if there is a cleric in your group a single Remove Curse returns them to pre-lycanthropy status.

Lastly: any druid can turn into a wolf at level 2.

AHF
2021-09-07, 10:44 AM
This screams for a simple homebrew reskinning or homebrew adjustment. If you have a brand new player, they are unlikely to be effectively optimizing this character to break game balance. Just take the already similar PC racial options like a Dhampir and reskin it to be a "werewolf." Heck, you could even use the Custom Origin from Tasha's to give them a werewolf and let them have their claws and bite attack using the Unarmed Attack fighting style

Unless I'm missing something, this is a brand new player who just thinks being a werewolf would be cool. Let them be hairy but give them a framework similar to other characters but with the flavor they are hoping for.

If they really want immunity to non-magical damage, regeneration, etc. then agree with others but this seems unlikely for a first time player and it certainly fits with the setting.

J-H
2021-09-07, 12:06 PM
I did a write-up on the DM's Guild for some lycanthrope options. Werewolf is a Ranger subclass (hunting/forest/tracking/endurance), Werebear is a Fighter subclass (brute force tanking), and Wererat is a Rogue subclass (scouting/resistant to disease/poison/can inflict disease at high levels).
Send me a PM, and I'll send you the details if you're interested.

I balanced it by having only the regular animal form have resistance to non-silver damage until the second subclass feature comes online (levels ~6-9). The animal forms don't have as many attacks or abilities as a hybrid or humanoid form, so the tradeoff acts to balance it instead of "free better than Rage all the time" at 3rd level.

Sorinth
2021-09-07, 12:34 PM
I would suggest Beast Barbarian and simply have the aesthetics of Form of the Beast turn the entire PC into a werewolf looking creature. So for example rather then just your hands transforming into claws, your whole body transform into a werewolf looking hybrid form and you now have claw attacks as normal.

Sigreid
2021-09-07, 04:22 PM
Just going straight for the original question. The answer is that it's pretty powerful and becomes less powerful as the party levels up.

1. The player will straight up have no threat from many of the encounters in CoS.
2. The player will have access to an less conspicuous form.
3. The player will have new movement options.
4. The player will have a way to raise their dump stat through the curse if they assign it right.

I'd recommend you say your not ready for it this campaign. But if you're up for it, it could be fun to build a Midnight Sons style campaign for the future where everyone gets to be some kind of monster.

sambojin
2021-09-07, 10:48 PM
Bugbears (auto-hybrid form, never a basic humanoid), Changelings (look like a hybrid or a human), Firbolg (super-Disguise Self spell and invis pops for damage mitigation and auto-beast-speech), Gnolls (a bite and a rampage), Goblins (hit and run, or hide away, with a bit of bonus damage once in a while), Goliaths (mini-pseudo-regen damage mitigation against attacks), Half-Elf (statastic, and Wood gives you better hiding), Half-Orcs (hard to kill and bonus crit damage), Hexbloods (hex and disguise self, for damage boosts and hybridisation, on any racial chassis), Kobolds (alpa wolf howl/ grovel and pack tactics), Lizardfolk (get feral equipment out of kills, and have werewolf armour and bites), Minotaur (just change the horns to a bite or claw), Orc (bonus move towards the enemy, keep that rage going), Shifters (any are good), Symic Hybrids (nimble climber and carapace or appendages to represent resilience or werewolf strength), Tiefling (set Abyssal to Prestidigitation/ Cure Wounds/ Alter Self each day, or use Zariel. Look however you look like), Tabaxi (speed bursts and claws) and Yuan-ti (wolves instead of snakes) all work fine as easy reskins to a werewolf race. I'd also allow anything with Thaumaturgy as a cantrip to be a "look like a hybrid/ wolf" cantrip, instead of glowy eyes/ big voice cantrip, so there's plenty of others too.

And yep, Druid or Barb would go well. Or Fighter or Pally. There's so many options that it's kind of hard to say what's best or the most thematic. Especially with Tasha's restats and weapon proficiencies available to races. But Totem Barb also includes Speak with Animals and Beast Sense as rituals, which is really on-point to talk to/ utilize wolves/ other beasts.

For a new player, I'd probably recommend Longtooth Shifter Bear(?, resistance is nice) Totem Barb. Or Elk for movement speed (Rage feels like a proper turbo button), or Eagle to teach them about the opportunity cost of bonus actions as well as enemy opportunity attacks (while making them less lethal), or Wolf if there's another melee character alongside for close range buffing (you can add plenty to party damage, just by being there). All the resilience a new player needs, or a bit movement, with a touch of extra damage too, and possible GWM or PAM builds available through feats (although I'd be tempted to steer them towards sword and board, with Longtooth providing a squeak of extra bonus action attack damage once in a while. There's plenty of other options than max damage, you just don't want them dying really easily while they learn). It's nice that your Shifter bonus damage and your Rage bonus damage are two different resources. This can teach a new player a fair bit about sustain and nova'ing, and neither are magical, but you have a touch of beast centric magic anyway.

Or a Hexblood Tabaxi Totem Barb perhaps, because Hex damage bursts are fun when you're out of rages, 20' climbing speed/ stealth/ perception carries over, and the Disguise Self for hybrid/ whatever visual form and some remote viewing and telepathy makes you feel pretty magical by itself. Teaches a bit about magic, concentration, rage and magic *don'ts*, Strength disadvantage on an enemy for grappling/ shoves, and gives exploratory and RP options to integrate into a party easily. Even Hexing Charisma or Wisdom out-of-combat to show the duality of some spells and to represent your intimidating presence is nice. Just reskin it to being a slightly feral looking human/fey (there's a fair few mind control spells that won't work on you, because you're a werewolf and can't be controlled). If you think they're ready for multiclassing after lvl5 or 7, she can use spell slots for Hex and Disguise Self as well, so magic slots might just be more hex-rages and intimidation and disguises, if they want to keep it really simple.

Totem rage implies wolf form or something. Can be a wolf, or a hybrid, or a really feral humanoid, her choice each rage, or even each round while raging. Adds a bit to the RP side of being a werewolf. You're a pretty smart wolf, and for some reason the weapon/ armour/ shield damage die and AC carry over to wolf form, don't question it (it is way less silly than some wildshape shenanigans). Think of it as a morphing form, where you might have hands and armour and can speak when you need that, or claws as good as weapons and resilience as good as armour when you don't. Reckless Attack makes for a fun when-you-should/ shouldn't thing on top of some easy burst bonuses, without it being too hard on a new player as well. Basic mechanics, but a lot of them available, yet can still be functionally as basic as a Champion Fighter when it's just rolls rolling (with RP/ talky and exploration and intrigue and synergy being cool to rule as well).

Would a Moon Druid be better? Yep. But not for a new player it wouldn't. Curse of Stradt has enough fun options to play many pillars, but a pile of hitpoints and some bonus damage can make it easier.

((There's a certain thing to be said for 1-3 levels of War (combaty) or Arcane (magicy) Cleric at some point. Or 1-3 of Fighter (BM). Or even 2-3 of Moon/ Stars/ Shepherd Druid. Or 1-3 of Warlock(any). There's a tonne of options after level 5-7 of Totem (probably Elk or Bear for simplicity) Barb to be the werewolf you want to be. It's not a weak build, or necessarily too simple to do a lot, it's just easy to learn a lot from. While being really werewolfy while you're at it. I'd probably guide them towards the Hexblood Tabaxi Elk Totem Barb route, and go from there. Just remind them occasionally of all the cool stuff they can do, when it isn't just rolling dice))

Kurt Kurageous
2021-09-08, 12:27 PM
I've actually handled this situation in a CoS game.

Player wanted to be a fluffy (gag me) and have animal aspects while playing a barb or battlemaster. So I turned down all the of those pitches and counter offered "wolf-were," a wolf who has the unusual ability to change into a human as an action. It's a little OP at times, but the player loves it. Husband of player helped build it out somewhat optimally. She's worthless socially in human form, is illiterate and hard to understand when she speaks, and cant speak beyond barks and whines in wolf-time. Her life expectancy is that of a wolf (8-10 years).

That said, ADV perception hear/smell and very high passive perception has allowed me to funnel her information only she could perceive, allowing me to up the gothic horror of CoS. I know dogs, and so does she, so I couch things in canine terms. Depending on the direction of the wind randomly determined, she is the party's early warning, the tracker, and pretty good in a fight. Occasionally she knocks a foe down. Yeah, I allow pack tactics for her, not unlike barb reckless.

I make no claim to balance, but I make a claim its a lot of fun, and that's what makes a new player come back.

BerzerkerUnit
2021-09-08, 03:52 PM
So many ways to say yes but here is mine:

Custom Lineage or Dhampyr (this lineage has no associated downside and the unbreathing thing can be explained as unnatural fortitude. it Grants a Bite that benefits a feral bloodlust as well as any wampyre curse).

Beast Barbarian 3/Moon Druid 2
Spells
Druid Primal Savagery (the d10 acid bite/claws cantrip) Druidcraft (for improved wild sensing). Good berry, Longstrider, and one other. Spells can be “spirit gifts” ala WoD garou or mutations etc.

After Druid 2 Barbarian all the way to 8 (CoS caps at 10th unless you plan to go beyond).

There’s no real balance issue, these are all PC facing options from official materials.

Dr. Cliché
2021-09-09, 10:34 AM
Ask why the player wants to be a werewolf. If it's "Werewolves are awesome!" work with them to use existing options, perhaps with refluffing, or a homebrew werewolf-esque class/race/combo of both to scratch that itch. We can help with that, here on the forums, if you like. :)

I know I'm not the OP but I'm quite curious as to what sort of things you have in mind, if you don't mind me asking.

I suppose I ask partially because I also like werewolves . . . but I don't like D&D werewolves. :smalltongue:

I'm not a fan of 5e changing them to being strength-based (rather than dex-based, like they were before). Though even if base werewolves weren't strength-based, literally every race with a natural weapon is exclusively strength-based, so if you want to play a Shifter as anything other than a muscle-head, you're plain out of luck.

Similarly, I always thought regeneration was a cool aspect of werewolfery, but it's not a feature of D&D werewolves, nor something you can get from race or class options. The only exception I can think of is the Lycanthrope Blood Hunter, but that doesn't get Regeneration for ages and even when it does you can't enjoy it because you're hamstrung by its other abilities.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-09-09, 10:40 AM

Similarly, I always thought regeneration was a cool aspect of werewolfery, but it's not a feature of D&D werewolves, nor something you can get from race or class options. The only exception I can think of is the Lycanthrope Blood Hunter, but that doesn't get Regeneration for ages and even when it does you can't enjoy it because you're hamstrung by its other abilities.

I actually always describe the werewolf immunity to non-silvered/magic weapons as outright regen in my games, tbh. They might spray blood everywhere when the PCs score a crit with a slashing weapon, but the wounds seal almost immediately, for example. In the end, it made them switch to fire damage (which worked normally), so I took it as a win overall.

Dr. Cliché
2021-09-09, 11:07 AM
I actually always describe the werewolf immunity to non-silvered/magic weapons as outright regen in my games, tbh. They might spray blood everywhere when the PCs score a crit with a slashing weapon, but the wounds seal almost immediately, for example. In the end, it made them switch to fire damage (which worked normally), so I took it as a win overall.

That just doesn't make sense to me because there are so many wounds that werewolves aren't immune to. e.g.:

A PC hits a werewolf with a mace - the werewolf regenerates instantly.

A werewolf falls 10ft and is injured - the werewolf can't regenerate at all.

:smallconfused:

Maybe it's just a personal thing but this idea of fluffing resistance/immunity as regeneration just completely breaks verisimilitude for me.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-09-09, 11:18 AM
That just doesn't make sense to me because there are so many wounds that werewolves aren't immune to. e.g.:

Maybe it's just a personal thing but this idea of fluffing resistance/immunity as regeneration just completely breaks verisimilitude for me.

Ah, see, I've houseruled them being immune to all B/P/S damage, not just from weapons. And my players don't fight werewolves when sub-orbital drops are a valid strategy.

Sorinth
2021-09-09, 11:27 AM

Isn't verisimilitude broken no matter what. The werewolf is hit by a boulder thrown by a giant and doesn't have a scratch or bruise, but falling 10ft hurt? Whether the immunity comes from regeneration or something else limiting it to weapon damage is going to create situations that break verisimiltude.

Dr. Cliché
2021-09-09, 11:38 AM
Isn't verisimilitude broken no matter what. The werewolf is hit by a boulder thrown by a giant and doesn't have a scratch or bruise, but falling 10ft hurt? Whether the immunity comes from regeneration or something else limiting it to weapon damage is going to create situations that break verisimiltude.

To an extent, yes, but that was also just one example.

If you want another, consider something like Force Damage. It might make sense that a magical attack of pure force can overcome an immunity to normal weapons, but it makes no sense as to why it wouldn't be able to regenerate such a wound.

Keltest
2021-09-09, 11:47 AM
To an extent, yes, but that was also just one example.

If you want another, consider something like Force Damage. It might make sense that a magical attack of pure force can overcome an immunity to normal weapons, but it makes no sense as to why it wouldn't be able to regenerate such a wound.

Presumably for the same reason Silver weapons can negate the regeneration of a Loup-garou.

Having said that, Lycanthropy is a curse, so i prefer the explanation that it simply proactively protects them from being hurt by mundane weapons. They can be hurt by fall damage because the curse doesnt care about it, only about it being attacked by peasants and whatnot.

Willie the Duck
2021-09-09, 11:48 AM

I know I'm not the OP but I'm quite curious as to what sort of things you have in mind, if you don't mind me asking.
I suppose I ask partially because I also like werewolves . . . but I don't like D&D werewolves. :smalltongue:

I remember bitd on Dragonsfoot, someone came on and mentioned that their 9 year old daughter wanted to play in their B/X and play as a unicorn. Lots of people went on long diatribes about how powerful D&D unicorns were and whether that could work at what levels and so on and so forth. Finally someone mentioned "why are we making this kid be beholden to the D&D rules on the thing? Pick a B/X class [I think they ended up with Elf], call it unicorn, and be done with it." If this new player is of the same mindset, they want werewolf because they are on a werewolf kick, not because they care what there are in D&D. have them play whatever works best for their conception of what werewolves do (fight?-fighter or barb; hunt?-ranger; nature-somethingsomething?-druid) and just call it a werewolf.

Now, all of this is if it doesn't effect your campaign. This is a Curse of Strahd campaign, so there might be some story baggage behind werewolves and reasons why none of the characters should be them. In that case it might be more prudent to say something like, 'that really doesn't work for a pseudo-horror campaign. You're supposed to be afraid of the things that go bump in the night, not be them. Could I instead interest you in a wolf-themed...' and go from there.

Dr. Cliché
2021-09-09, 12:04 PM
Presumably for the same reason Silver weapons can negate the regeneration of a Loup-garou.

Sure. But silver negates said regeneration for 1 round (i.e. 6 seconds). Meanwhile, Magic Missile negates a werewolf's "regeneration" indefinitely.

I remember bitd on Dragonsfoot, someone came on and mentioned that their 9 year old daughter wanted to play in their B/X and play as a unicorn. Lots of people went on long diatribes about how powerful D&D unicorns were and whether that could work at what levels and so on and so forth. Finally someone mentioned "why are we making this kid be beholden to the D&D rules on the thing? Pick a B/X class [I think they ended up with Elf], call it unicorn, and be done with it." If this new player is of the same mindset, they want werewolf because they are on a werewolf kick, not because they care what there are in D&D. have them play whatever works best for their conception of what werewolves do (fight?-fighter or barb; hunt?-ranger; nature-somethingsomething?-druid) and just call it a werewolf.

Well, that's the reason I was asking in the first place, as it seemed most of the suggestions assumed a strength-based barbarian-type build. I wondered if there were any suggestions for a more agile, dex-focussed build with some sort of regeneration.

DarknessEternal
2021-09-09, 03:23 PM
Shifter race.
Bloodhunter class.
Order of the Lycan subclass.

Werewolf PC complete.

stoutstien
2021-09-09, 03:26 PM
Sure. But silver negates said regeneration for 1 round (i.e. 6 seconds). Meanwhile, Magic Missile negates a werewolf's "regeneration" indefinitely.

Well, that's the reason I was asking in the first place, as it seemed most of the suggestions assumed a strength-based barbarian-type build. I wondered if there were any suggestions for a more agile, dex-focussed build with some sort of regeneration.

Monks could work with minimal refluffing. Just whip up a race with a natural claw weapon that works as an unarmed strikes and your 90% there.

chainer1216
2021-09-10, 05:55 AM
You could also steer them towards playing a druid. Its not a werewolf, exactly, but it hits several of the same shapeshifting beats.

Telling a person to play a primary spellcaster when the specific fantasy they are asking to fulfill is centered around supernatural physicality and savagery seems like a recipe for a bad time.

Dr. Cliché
2021-09-10, 06:09 AM
Monks could work with minimal refluffing. Just whip up a race with a natural claw weapon that works as an unarmed strikes and your 90% there.

I'll grant that gets you the dex part, though it seems you're still completely absent any sort of regeneration. :smalltongue:

Telling a person to play a primary spellcaster when the specific fantasy they are asking to fulfill is centered around supernatural physicality and savagery seems like a recipe for a bad time.

The other aspect, which I think someone brought up earlier, is that wolves quickly become obsolete as far as Wild Shapes go (this is something I really hate about Moon Druids, as it means you can't maintain any consistent animal theme during your career).

What's more, after you hit Lv10, you'll probably be spending most of your Wild Shape time as an elemental. At best, you could say your elemental forms resemble wolves, but even then you're getting pretty far from any sort of werewolf theme.

TalksAlone
2021-09-10, 06:22 AM
First of all I'd advise you to keep in mind you are running for more than one PC.

Two questions then must be asked with that in mind:

- What the other PCs would feel about this *potentially* kind of broken character. Would they feel less than because of it?

- What's stopping them from all becoming werewolves intentionally and breaking the entire module in half?

If you have a satisfying answer for both, it shouldn't be a problem even using the normal werewolf rules. In a world where a more experienced player may just show up with a Sorcadin and obliterate every monster before it gets to properly act, a newbie with a bit of an advantage is the least of a DM's problem.

Or just talk it out with the party: "Hey, we're doing a session zero here: we need to come up with an in-game reason for this thing that'll ruin the fun doesn't happen. Who's got an idea?"

stoutstien
2021-09-10, 10:20 AM
I'll grant that gets you the dex part, though it seems you're still completely absent any sort of regeneration. :smalltongue:

Quicken healing + shifter race could work for that portion. Legit Regen is hard to balance in.

Segev
2021-09-10, 10:26 AM
At this stage, I think we've gotten all the mechanical ways to do it. What is your player envisioning "playing a werewolf" to entail? What fantasy is she seeking to play out? Customizing the design to her fantasy is probably the best solution, especially if what she likes about it isn't the part that risks damaging the game.

(I stand by my assertion that you can just up the number of silver weapons in enemy hands if her invulnerability is a problem, especially if the enemies know a werewolf is coming.)