PDA

View Full Version : How many personalities can a brute have?

SangoProduction
2021-09-06, 03:48 AM
*While maintaining that their thing is "I have big muscles, and I cannot lie." * How many personalities can you think of for a barbarian / brute? And which one do you find the most amusing / fun to play (out of the lot).

Batcathat
2021-09-06, 04:33 AM
I mean, pretty much any, right? It's not like real-life occupations comes with a specific set of personalities.

That said, I believe that stats should influence personality, so if it's a stereotypical INT-dumping brute I suppose the options are a little more limited but even then there are a lot of variations on "not thinking so good".

Silly Name
2021-09-06, 05:08 AM
Being buff has no impact on your personality. There are stereotypes, of course, but you can be buff and smart, you're not necessarily pigeon-holed in being dumb muscle (of course, this stereotype may end up being mechanically enforced by the game system you're using).

Asmotherion
2021-09-06, 07:25 AM
I'm a fun of the Sophisticated Gentleman Barbarian who just happens to be trained under harsh conditions.

I also like the War Veteran Barbarian who has a bit of ptsd and is a bit paranoid.

Finally, there is the Tribesman Barbarian who grew up in a tribe out of society. He is wise beyond his years, as he grew up with his shaman's guidance, but a bit rusty in social etiquette.

Saintheart
2021-09-06, 07:29 AM
Whatever else you can say about their quality or useability, I love the character backgrounds sections of Mongoose Publishing's Quintessential Fighter and Quintessential Barbarian on this subject. Leaving aside they give certain mechanical bonuses for having a given background and therefore a given personality, they do a pretty good job of covering a decent number of character archetypes. Barbarian I found particularly good, they cover everything from true half-crazy nutcase through to the grown-up version of Mowgli (or Lord Greystoke, as it were).