PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Monster homebrew for hire? I'd be the one hiring!

Eric Diaz
2021-09-06, 09:14 PM
Just a thought I had today, nothing more than a vague idea at this point.

I'm writing a new monster book with about 50 monsters, and I like writing all the fluff, but writing the stats gets boring for me after a while.

Is there a place where I can find homebrewers for hire?

Seems to me that the deal would be easy enough - "I want a CR 4 humanoid monster that can charm sailors and swim fast", you'd just have to release it to the OGL and anyone could use it, so it would easy for me to copy and paste.

I would pay for the service, of course, since I want to make it available commercially, although I have no idea how much that'd cost. And, obviously, having existing work to show is a must.

Any ideas or good places to search?

luuma
2021-09-07, 04:18 AM
I'm sure if you got in touch with anyone who had products out on DMsGuild they'd be chuffed to help!

Personally, I much prefer writing stats to fluff, but I haven't done more than about ten monster stat blocks, and am probably not your best bet.

I would recommend offering coauthorship and a cut of profits, rather than offering an upfront payment.

BerzerkerUnit
2021-09-07, 05:47 PM
I'm sure if you got in touch with anyone who had products out on DMsGuild they'd be chuffed to help!

Personally, I much prefer writing stats to fluff, but I haven't done more than about ten monster stat blocks, and am probably not your best bet.

I would recommend offering coauthorship and a cut of profits, rather than offering an upfront payment.

I would politely disagree. I think a lot more work is likely to get done for you if you do pay upfront/on delivery. Cash apps and the like make paying simple enough though you should have a boilerplate IP doc that defines you as the rights owner to anything accepted.

I think offering profit sharing, at least without first showing the collaborative your finished work, is like promising rain, it might be likely but you can’t be sure when. If you have the fluff and art done, then a 3rd party to knock out stats should be easily enough to find since they know they’re only waiting on their own effort.

sandmote
2021-09-07, 06:39 PM
I have no experience with finding someone else to do stat blocks for you, but the following statement gives me pause and I'd like to give my two coppers.

"I want a CR 4 humanoid monster that can charm sailors and swim fast"

Now, if the fluff will already be written and you can provide that it'll probably be fine. But if "the harpy from the basic rules has bigger numbers and swaps the fly speed for a swim speed" is the most information you can offer (and the actual changes are more significant), you're going to need to go through multiple drafts per monster before the result matches the idea in your head. And I suspect a lot of people aren't going to want to go through that.

Phhase
2021-09-19, 01:08 AM
I love the crunch of creature design! I can also provide you advice and assistance with editing, art, and balance if you'd like it. If you're still looking, send me a DM and I'd love to talk about it more in depth and length.