View Full Version : Resistance to damage on your turn: how powerful?

Townopolis
2021-09-07, 09:26 PM
Just wanted to get some extra eyes on this ability, since I'm having trouble gauging its power. As the title suggests, the ability is as follows:

"You have resistance to damage taken on your turn."

So, that's resistance to all damage, and it's always on. Immediately, that triggers a knee-jerk reaction that it's gotta be a high-level ability.

Except it's not always on--it's only on your turn--and damage taken on your turn pretty much consists of:

Opportunity Attacks
Hazards & damaging zones (e.g. Wall of Fire)
Traps that you trigger
Falling damage

Most damage you'll actually take will be on other creatures' turns, so damage resistance that's only active on your turn isn't actually very good, right?

At the moment, I'm leaning toward treating this ability as "nice, but not strong," and therefore okay for a low-level PC, but I want to check if there's some use case I'm just not thinking of before I do.

(Obviously, I could just nerf the ability if it proves OP in play, but you guys like theorycrafting anyway, right?)

solidork
2021-09-07, 09:54 PM
It's cute with Life Transferrance.

Hytheter
2021-09-07, 10:22 PM
Also applies to AOEs you include yourself in. Overall doesn't seem that strong, though.

Phhase
2021-09-07, 10:33 PM
It's cute with Life Transferrance.

No, unfortunately LT is irreducible.

JackPhoenix
2021-09-07, 10:37 PM
No, unfortunately LT is irreducible.

Even if it wasn't, it would also mean the healing effect would be reduced too, as it is dependant on the damage taken.

Lunali
2021-09-07, 10:37 PM
The main damage sources I see coming up are opportunity attacks and persistent spells. It's a significant ability, but I'd rate it below things like aura of warding or bear totem. On par with danger sense I would say. Depends greatly on the playstyle of the subclass/player as opportunity attacks could happen every combat or never.

Blueiji
2021-09-08, 01:40 AM
How would this ability interact with non-structured time? As in, during times when damage might be occurring outside of the context of a turn order?

Townopolis
2021-09-08, 02:21 AM
How would this ability interact with non-structured time? As in, during times when damage might be occurring outside of the context of a turn order?

I'd be ruling the resistance to apply to any damage that happened as an immediate consequence of the character's actions. For example, jumping out a window, punching through a window, tripping a trap, or running into a burning building.

It wouldn't apply to damage that other characters trigger, such as if another character trips a trap or someone shoves this guy out a window. It also wouldn't apply to, for example, an avalanche that occurs without being triggered by a specific character.

Good point to bring up.

Also, thank you to everyone who's weighed in so far!

kazaryu
2021-09-08, 02:45 AM
Just wanted to get some extra eyes on this ability, since I'm having trouble gauging its power. As the title suggests, the ability is as follows:

"You have resistance to damage taken on your turn."

So, that's resistance to all damage, and it's always on. Immediately, that triggers a knee-jerk reaction that it's gotta be a high-level ability.

Except it's not always on--it's only on your turn--and damage taken on your turn pretty much consists of:

Opportunity Attacks
Hazards & damaging zones (e.g. Wall of Fire)
Traps that you trigger
Falling damage

Most damage you'll actually take will be on other creatures' turns, so damage resistance that's only active on your turn isn't actually very good, right?

At the moment, I'm leaning toward treating this ability as "nice, but not strong," and therefore okay for a low-level PC, but I want to check if there's some use case I'm just not thinking of before I do.

(Obviously, I could just nerf the ability if it proves OP in play, but you guys like theorycrafting anyway, right?)

+1 it seems fine as a low level ability. definitely too strong imo to be a ribbon ability. so it should be a signature ability. but tis not gonna be the strongest out there. maybe make it a secondary ability. on par with the lvl 6/7 ability a lot of classes and subclasses get.

JellyPooga
2021-09-08, 08:53 AM
I have to wonder about the narrative reason why you might have resistance on your turn but not outside of it. The mechanics should reflect the narrative, not the other way around. A mechanic taken out of context has no meaning.

ProsecutorGodot
2021-09-08, 11:15 AM
I think the balance is probably fine, however there are edge cases that don't make a whole lot of sense narratively. The first I can think of is that, for example, an ally opts to ready a damage spell to cast on your turn which they know is next so the AoE damage is reduced.

I don't see how it can effectively be explained how you can't be resistant to the damage outside of your turn or how it makes a meaningful difference for those things to happen on your turn. I suppose it could be passed off as a sort of luck or instinct.

This is really just rambling nitpicking on my part, it doesn't have to have a perfect explanation.

PhantomSoul
2021-09-08, 11:18 AM
I think the balance is probably fine, however there are edge cases that don't make a whole lot of sense narratively. The first I can think of is that, for example, an ally opts to ready a damage spell to cast on your turn which they know is next so the AoE damage is reduced.

I don't see how it can effectively be explained how you can't be resistant to the damage outside of your turn or how it makes a meaningful difference for those things to happen on your turn. I suppose it could be passed off as a sort of luck or instinct.

This is really just rambling nitpicking on my part, it doesn't have to have a perfect explanation.

Maybe it's pseudo-mechanised as being something you activate (free action or reaction, as preferred) and then say the effect lasts until the end of your turn. Not really helping with an explanation without added fluff, but potentially makes it seem different!

Flechette63
2021-09-08, 11:34 AM
Maybe it's pseudo-mechanised as being something you activate (free action or reaction, as preferred) and then say the effect lasts until the end of your turn. Not really helping with an explanation without added fluff, but potentially makes it seem different!

Piggybacking on this maybe it doesn't work if they're incapacitated? That'd add to the "they're doing something" feel I think.

Hytheter
2021-09-08, 11:46 AM
I definitely took the ability to be something that happens because you're doing stuff. Like, you're emboldened while taking action to the point that it literally makes you stronger. It's kinda weak but it doesn't make any less sense than a lot of abilities that already exist.

Townopolis
2021-09-08, 12:25 PM
The abstract concept my table is working with is that the character is anticipating the dangers they're putting themselves in and is able to translate that readiness into a sort of Uncanny Dodge effect during their actions. It doesn't work off-turn because they can't as precisely predict what other people are going to do.

In the case of another character readying a spell, e.g. fireball, to cast on this character's turn, I think I'm okay with explaining that as the caster taking a moment to signal their intent to the ranger.

That said, the ability was arrived at from the perspective of wanting the character to be an exploration point-man (so it's non-combat functionality against hazards and traps is actually one of its main points) and also to support a certain amount of derring-do by taking the sting out of missing jumps, running through fire, blitzing past multiple orcs to save someone, etc. So it was 100% designed from a gameplay perspective, and the in-world explanation is being added in post.

Also, to get specific, I'm trying to figure out if this should be slotted into a ranger conclave as a level 3 feature (in addition to expanded spells and a +damage feature), the level 7 feature (by itself), or the level 11 feature. So far, looks like it can show up earlier rather than later.

PhantomSoul
2021-09-08, 12:26 PM
In the case of another character readying a spell, e.g. fireball, to cast on this character's turn, I think I'm okay with explaining that as the caster taking a moment to signal their intent to the ranger.

And for Spellcasters Readying, it's offset by them needing to Concentrate.

BoutsofInsanity
2021-09-08, 03:35 PM
The abstract concept my table is working with is that the character is anticipating the dangers they're putting themselves in and is able to translate that readiness into a sort of Uncanny Dodge effect during their actions. It doesn't work off-turn because they can't as precisely predict what other people are going to do.

That said, the ability was arrived at from the perspective of wanting the character to be an exploration point-man (so it's non-combat functionality against hazards and traps is actually one of its main points) and also to support a certain amount of derring-do by taking the sting out of missing jumps, running through fire, blitzing past multiple orcs to save someone, etc. So it was 100% designed from a gameplay perspective, and the in-world explanation is being added in post.

Also, to get specific, I'm trying to figure out if this should be slotted into a ranger conclave as a level 3 feature (in addition to expanded spells and a +damage feature), the level 7 feature (by itself), or the level 11 feature. So far, looks like it can show up earlier rather than later.

I think it's pretty cool and the way you explained it really favors a proactive and dynamic play. I think it's pretty neat. And people exploiting it is pretty cool too because it means they are paying attention to the game which is always good.

JNAProductions
2021-09-08, 03:49 PM
I wouldn’t put it lower than 5th level as an always-on thing.

Limited use could be a 1st level ability, depending on HOW limited.

It’s interesting for sure.

Gignere
2021-09-08, 06:12 PM
The only way I can see abusing this is if you built a grappler that deals damage by jumping. Having resistance on your turn can really help the grappler to 1/2 their own fall damage.

Maybe even get it to a quarter if you allow the fall on enemy rule in Tasha’s.

Danielqueue1
2021-09-09, 12:35 PM
You now have resistance to all spells and abilities that have phrasing such as "when a creature enters the area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there," And things that damage you at the start of your turn. The more you encounter those, the more powerful the ability.

Townopolis
2021-09-10, 01:09 AM
I think I've got the ability dialed in now. Thank you all for your help!

Going to stick it at level 7 by itself. As has been brought up, there are a handful or so situations where it's really good--good enough to put it above 5th level--but it shouldn't be too impactful most of the time except in aggregate. I'm comfortable with that as a level 7 conclave feature.

Kane0
2021-09-10, 03:46 AM

Going to stick it at level 7 by itself. As has been brought up, there are a handful or so situations where it's really good--good enough to put it above 5th level--but it shouldn't be too impactful most of the time except in aggregate. I'm comfortable with that as a level 7 conclave feature.

For a ranger subclass yes, sounds the right spot to put it.

Edit: Or rogue subclass 9, barbarian 6/10, or fighter 7/10 come to think of it.

follacchioso
2021-09-10, 04:24 AM
It could be strong on a Warlock with Armor of Agathys and Hellish Rebuke, who likes to run through hordes of unintelligent zombies and does not mind getting bitten.

It could be useful on a Wild Magic Sorcerer who tends to trigger fireballs on themselves.

But overall, no, it is not a good ability.

TalksAlone
2021-09-10, 06:28 AM
I'd say it's comparable to poison resistance. Will save you tons of HP every once in a while.

It'll happen a bit more frequently depending on how much you intend to draw oportunity attacks, but will only protect you from damage. While poison resistance will protect you from all sorts of nasty status conditions.

It's slightly worse, maybe better if you plan to tank OAs for your party.

quindraco
2021-09-10, 08:43 AM

That's pretty reasonable, compared to an L7 totem barbarian who chose Bear at L3.

Trask
2021-09-10, 11:31 PM
I have to wonder about the narrative reason why you might have resistance on your turn but not outside of it. The mechanics should reflect the narrative, not the other way around. A mechanic taken out of context has no meaning.

I was thinking the same thing, but my second thought was of describing the fighter as one who defends themselves with a good offense. Say this feature could be used as part of the attack action, the attacker is just so fierce during their assault so as to deter damage. Could be a neat feature in the right subclass.

Tanarii
2021-09-11, 01:41 AM
Do legendaries happen on your turn? Can't recall if they're part of a turn or between them.

Townopolis
2021-09-11, 02:19 AM
Uh...

Okay, just checked and it's "at the end of another creature's turn," in the ancient red dragon stat-block.

Generally, I would consider things that happen at the "start" or "end" of your turn to be part of your turn, but I might make an exception for legendary actions because that's not... does RAI apply to homebrew?

Hytheter
2021-09-11, 02:24 AM
Uh...

Okay, just checked and it's "at the end of another creature's turn," in the ancient red dragon stat-block.

Generally, I would consider things that happen at the "start" or "end" of your turn to be part of your turn, but I might make an exception for legendary actions because that's not... does RAI apply to homebrew?

If it's only being used at your table then your reading is the only one that matters. If you're expecting it to be used by others it may serve to add a clarification just in case. "This does not apply to legendary actions" is a short sentence to add.