PDA

View Full Version : Rebuking Undead

Irreverent Fool
2007-11-16, 03:09 AM
So, I got invited to play in a gestalt game and despite the fact that I'm not particularly fond of that style I decided I'd give it a whirl. I'm playing a Cleric/Dread Necromancer (Heroes of Horror) and am looking for ways to increase my effective level for rebuking.

I know about the phylactery of undead turning, but what options do I have for lower levels? We're starting at level 2 and I'd like to have something beefy under my belt by level 5.

Edit: Thanks Skjald. I realized my error about 2 seconds after I posted. Dang you guys are fast!

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-16, 03:10 AM
The half level thing does not exist. You are imagining it. You do have to double the HD(with your cleric level) of the undead you are rebuking in order to control it. Maybe that is what you are thinking.

dyslexicfaser
2007-11-16, 03:17 AM
The +1 bonus Sacred to shields and the Phylactery are about the cheapest options for improving rebuking I know of.

Shishnarfne
2007-11-16, 09:18 AM
Isn't there an Improved Turning feat in the PhB? Could you convince your DM to allow the Rebuking equivalent? Of course, it costs a feat, but it would appear to be a fair house feat...

Edit:
Thanks for pointing out the details, Lussman... I was fairly sure the PhB didn't have too many feats designed for Rebukers, but it was nice to see the more exact specifications.

Keld Denar
2007-11-16, 09:32 AM
Isn't there an Improved Turning feat in the PhB? Could you convince your DM to allow the Rebuking equivalent? Of course, it costs a feat, but it would appear to be a fair house feat...

Technically, there aren't any good feats/abilities/magic items that increase your "rebuking" level. With a little sympathy from your DM, you might get a ruling that "turning" rules go both ways.

Then, your options look like this:

Ephod of Authority (MIC) about 800g! Vest slot. Increase turning level by 1

Improved Turning Feat Increase turning level by 1

Phylactery of Undead Turning (10,000g???) Increase turning level by 4

Sacred weapon/shield enhancements (MIC) Increase turning level by 4???

Rod of Defiance (LM) Increase your turning check modifier by 4

Choker of Eloquency (???) Increases turning check (a cha check) by ???

Cloak of Cha +6 Increase turning check by 3 (due to cha increase)

Thats about all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm AFB at work, so some people can look up the ??? and lemme know what they are.

Jasdoif
2007-11-16, 01:20 PM
Isn't there an Improved Turning feat in the PhB? Could you convince your DM to allow the Rebuking equivalent?Don't have to, Improved Turning works for rebuking too.
You turn or rebuke creatures as if you were one level higher than you are in the class that grants you the ability.Many turning effects similarly allow themselves to be used for rebuking. (The phylactery of undead turning isn't one of them, however)