PDA

View Full Version : Peace Cleric Emboldening Bond only on myself

follacchioso
2021-09-09, 08:36 AM
The 1st level Peace Cleric grants a small boost to allies as long as they stay within 30' of each other:

You can forge an empowering bond among people who are at peace with one another. As an action, you choose a number of willing creatures within 30 feet of you (this can include yourself) equal to your proficiency bonus. You create a magical bond among them for 10 minutes or until you use this feature again. While any bonded creature is within 30 feet of another, .....

My question is: can I cast it on a single creature? More specifically, can I cast it only on my character, forever alone, and still benefit from the 1d4?

There is nothing in the description about having to cast it on multiple targets. And my character can be pretty happy to be at peace with themselves, and at war with everybody else.

RogueJK
2021-09-09, 08:44 AM
You'd get no benefit if you only put it on yourself.

You have to be within 30' of another bonded creature in order to gain the 1d4.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-09-09, 08:51 AM
You could also take the RAW sillier take of having to choose a number of people equal to your proficiency modifier, no more and no less.

It doesn't say "up to", it says "equal to". Not even a "you can choose", it's straight up "you choose".

RogueJK
2021-09-09, 08:54 AM
I guess if you really wanted to game it, you could take the Urchin background, and cast it on yourself and your pet mouse that you keep in your pocket. That'd be 2 bonded creatures within 30' of another.

Hael
2021-09-09, 08:56 AM
You could bond a bag of rats or something like that, or your pet parrot or something.

follacchioso
2021-09-09, 09:00 AM
Damn, that is not good news for my antisocial character. It makes the feature much less valuable. Thank you anyway.

I guess a familiar would also work - there is no restriction on the creature type.

BoxANT
2021-09-09, 11:06 AM
If you pick up Find Familiar (feat, multiclass, etc) you can just put EB on the familiar and have it stay near (or in a pocket) and get the benefit.

KorvinStarmast
2021-09-09, 12:14 PM
Damn, that is not good news for my antisocial character.
A player who wants to bond with himself and to play with himself isn't a good fit for a team game. It's great for a solo game.
This post was brought to you by Root Cause Analysis LLC, Ltd, Inc.