PDA

View Full Version : Original System Runegun: Alpha Test (Discord Server to develop a homebrew system)

Feathersnow
2021-09-09, 09:14 AM
The world has been ending for a long time

Long ago, and there isn't a real number for that, the world was in Chaos. Faeries warred across the lands, rogue elementals ran amok, demons plotted and ravaged as their whims dictated, while other enemies looked on from above with envious eyes.

Each of these forces was tamed in turn, and with each, the world grew more stable. The fae retreated to their holds and accepted laws to limit their depredations. The elementals went to slumber when propitiated. The demons agreed only to prey on those foolish enough to consent. The Xenics learned to respect the border of the sky. With each treaty, reality grew more predictable. The fae would no longer bend time and place, the elementals would no longer change the nature of things, magic would only be accessible to those willing to put in long hours of study, the only machines were those craftsman could understand.

And then the ones that call themselves “Human,” scions of long ago crossings of demon and dwarf, let their ambition doom the world. Their sorcerers undermined the ancient pacts, for power and for the knowledge that they could. The world suffered for that ambition...That was 200 years ago. More or less. The Unseelie bend time in places, so it might have been far longer. The great human cities fell to their hubris within years of the floodwaters breaking. Only the Dwarves, the proud ur-race, survive in a semblance of their former glory, and the best place for a non-Dwarf to be is living in the exclaves above their cities, with almost as many rights and nearly as high a standard of living as a citizen.

But, you say, that sounds like a raw deal? You want more? There is a path downward to glory for the able and the dutiful, for Dwarves are honorable and respect hard work. Join the military! While all service is rewarded, a Runegunner is a position of high honor. In exchange for twenty years of service, you, up to three spouses, your children and their children will be granted citizenship and a decent suite in the City!

Other benefits include: medical and necromantic care for you and your family, free job training for your spouses, access to appropriate technical training for your children, debt relief, free burial according to your cultural traditions for all immediate family, competitive pay rates even after free room and board!

Talk to your local recruitment officer today!!

Basically, I have a rule system based around magical mecha. It is set in a post-apocalyptic twist on a standard DND setting, and dominated by Dwarves. You represent recruits to their military who pilot these mechs.

I have tried running an earlier version of this on a pathfinder chasis long ago, and it didn't work, so I rebuilt entirely from the ground up. This represents the earliest complete version of the completely original ruleset.

I have created, or mostly created so far, a giant map representing a five mile square city neighborhood cut into 5 foot map tiles. My eventual plan is to create a rulebook and a campaign book, available separately, the later detailing this city and threats posing it, with the PCs as de facto military governors.

What I am looking for is a group to comment on my work, especially on how well they understand it, and to possibly run alpha tests of the rule system leading to a beta test centered around the campaign based on the giant map.

For various reasons, I would require these testers to use Discord, although I am willing to share my early drafts of the rules over email for those who are genuinely interested but cannot use Discord for whatever reason.

I am hesitant to post the rules here, both for the length and because it may damage the value of my intellectual property.