PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for a nice prc for a healing cleric (of Ilmater)

Foolosophy
2007-11-16, 05:29 AM
Right now we are at level 3 and I have taken Imbued Healing and Healing Devotion, as well as Daunting Presence. (don't ask :smalltongue: )
I also use the divine counterspell variant.

I am somewhat at a loss as to what prestige to aspire to. Cleric 20 would be ok I guess, but feels a bit bland. I'm not really looking for an increase in power, but I would love something healing / protection themed...suprisingly few cleric prcs seem to be able to do that. (that pelorie or lathander prc is out due to sun requirements and wrong deity)

Grynning
2007-11-16, 05:43 AM
I'm unfamiliar with Ilmater (if it's from FR or Dragonlance that's why...can't stand those settings :smallyuk: ) but you can still look to complete divine for a couple of good ones. Divine Oracle and Contemplative both improve greatly on your capabilities and keep full spell casting, you just lose some HP (both have a D6 HD), and they're both fairly easy to qualify for (you just can't take Contemplative until 10th level due to skill req.). Both are fairly adaptable to your concept flavor-wise, so I would look to those first. Contemplative can give any cleric an edge due to the ability to choose a bonus domain at 1st and 6th level from any that your deity offers.

AslanCross
2007-11-16, 05:56 AM
The best healing cleric PrC as far as I can tell is the Radiant Servant of Pelor. In FR it'd fit more with Lathander, because RSoP requires the Sun and Healing domains. I've been struggling to fit into FR deities, but I haven't had the time to figure out who to do it.

RSoP only gets a d6 HD, but it also gets full casting and a whole bunch of anti-undead and healing boosting-abilities.

Saph
2007-11-16, 08:51 AM
I think you're best off adapting the Radiant Servant of Pelor. The only Ilmater prestige class I know is the Martyred Champion of Ilmater, which is unbelievably flavour-specific. And I don't know of any heavily healing-focused PrCs other than the RSoP.

Change the sun-themed abilities to protection-themed ones, maybe?

- Saph

DrummingDM
2007-11-16, 09:03 AM
What about Combat Medic from Heroes of Battle? It's got some funky feat requirements (Dodge, Mobility), so you'd have to work out some retraining with your DM, but it allows for spontaneous casting of Heal spells...

Foolosophy
2007-11-16, 09:05 AM
Combat medic is a nice class but the prereqs really are annoying. Oo It's dodge and combat casting btw, mobility would have been a bit more helpful I guess.
It doesn't soud very powerful but the flavour is great. Thanks for the idea, i had completly forgottent about that class. There should be a nice synergy between Imbued Healing and the various healing kickers of the medic.

Keld Denar
2007-11-16, 09:07 AM
I'd suggest Contemplative in this case. Illmator doesn't have the sun portfolio, making him an awkward choice for RSoP. Sacred Exorcist doesn't really fit either. Niether does Divine Oracle or Void Disciple. Contemplative is a cleric who, through divine contact, comes into intimate knowledge of his diety. The major drawback to contemplative is that you lose turning advancement, which may or may not be a disadvantage based on campaign flavor. The benefits of Contemplative are amazing though. Divine Health, 2x bonus domains, SR, and a host of other abilities are gravy on top of a clerics already stacked up abilities.

As far as flavor justification, since Illmator is the diety concerned with relieving the suffering of the world through bearing it himself, your cleric could be willingly bearing suffering (torture, lack of food, excessive work or burden, etc) and black out. During this blackout, an icon of Illmator appears before the cleric, lifting part of his burden onto itself. This contact strengthens the clerics resolve to rid the world of suffering, enlightening him to the ways of Contemplative.

Yup, sounds like a good story to me. Discuss w/ your DM. Modify to taste.

Good Luck and Good Gaming!

TimeWizard
2007-11-16, 12:40 PM
In 3.0, wasn't Ilmater a god of suffering?

Keld Denar
2007-11-16, 01:42 PM
In 3.0, wasn't Ilmater a god of suffering?

In all versions of Forgotten Realms (well, at least in 2nd Ed and beyond, I used to have 2nd Ed Faiths and Pantheons, go specialty priest!) Ilmater is the god of suffering, but not in an inflicting kind of way, more of a "bear for the betterment of your fellow man" kind of way. Clerics of Ilmater are known sadists who gladly take upon themselves the burdens of the weak and the weary and the suffering. They believe that by bearing the suffering of others, they can make the world a better place. Most would gladly martyr their lives to save the life of an innocent. Some fanatical scisms even delve into self-mutilation, but they are few and far between. All in all, a great god to have on your side, but a pretty miserable god to worship directly. Unless you are into that sort of thing. To each, their own, I guess.

The Glyphstone
2007-11-16, 01:56 PM
Clerics of Ilmater are known sadists who gladly take upon themselves the burdens of the weak and the weary and the suffering.

Sadists cause pain...you meant masochists, right?

Ganurath
2007-11-16, 02:03 PM
Think a Hospitaler would be worthwhile for lay on hands and remove disease? It only removes 3 spellcasting levels... although the feat and skill requirements would be an investment...

Keld Denar
2007-11-16, 03:11 PM
Sadists cause pain...you meant masochists, right?

I guess I'm not up on my S&M terminology. Maybe I'll have to find a nice girl to tie me up and teach me the difference.

And no, Hospitaler is not worth the loss of caster levels. You will be able to heal with higher level spells much better than you will with lay on hands. Its a trap man. ITS A TRAP!!!!! </Admiral Akbar>