PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Level 4 Character Casting Level 6 Spell?

Mud Puppy
2021-09-10, 01:16 PM
As the title says.... My party is potentially going to be travelling a great distance on their next mission. I'm going to offer them a higher level NPC (cleric) that could cast Word of Recall to return them close to the starting point, but WoR only brings the caster +5 others and there are 6 in the party. They'll need the NPC to be a cleric for other reasons, so I don't want to swap out a higher level arcane caster...

So my question is: RAW can a fourth level PC (paladin) cast Word of Recall from a spell scroll or alternately could the party wizard cast teleportation circle from a spell scroll?

For story reasons this trip might be vital and the person that will send them off on this "mission" will send them via an established teleportation circle. I just need to figure out how to get the party home again without weeks of walking.... any other clever ideas would be appreciated.

nickl_2000
2021-09-10, 01:23 PM
Just homebrew an item that can cast it a certain amount of times. There is no reason why you need to use a scroll when you can give a non-attunement single use item that triggers it.

Warder
2021-09-10, 01:24 PM
They absolutely can! As long as the spell is on the caster's spell list, you can try to cast it from a spell scroll. If it's higher than what you normally cast you need to make an ability check however, using your spellcasting ability. The DC is 10 + the spell level. If you fail, the spell is lost. The DMG has variant rules for catastrophic failures when reading spell scrolls too.

Edit: I would waive the spell failure chance if the NPC cleric guides the paladin through the casting.

JNAProductions
2021-09-10, 01:33 PM
As the title says.... My party is potentially going to be travelling a great distance on their next mission. I'm going to offer them a higher level NPC (cleric) that could cast Word of Recall to return them close to the starting point, but WoR only brings the caster +5 others and there are 6 in the party. They'll need the NPC to be a cleric for other reasons, so I don't want to swap out a higher level arcane caster...

So my question is: RAW can a fourth level PC (paladin) cast Word of Recall from a spell scroll or alternately could the party wizard cast teleportation circle from a spell scroll?

For story reasons this trip might be vital and the person that will send them off on this "mission" will send them via an established teleportation circle. I just need to figure out how to get the party home again without weeks of walking.... any other clever ideas would be appreciated.

I think you can use a scroll of Word Of Recall so long as your class can cast it.

Alternatively, use a one-shot magic item.

Glass Rod Of Return
Wondrous Item

This simple glass rod has five small notches on it. Each notch can hold a specially-made charm, which can be worn as a ring, woven into the user's hair, or simply kept in a pocket. When the glass rod is broken as an action, the creature who broke the rod and each creature who is in possession of a charm and within 120' of the rod is teleported back to a designated location, similar to a Word Of Recall.

This item is for a one-use Word Of Recall with slightly buffed range. If you don't want to let them teleport back that easily, as-in, not in the middle of combat, use the next item.

Sanctuary Spindle
Wondrous Item

A spindle made of wood and inlaid with arcane runes. In addition to entertaining children and cats, anyone with the spindle can perform a one-minute ritual involving setting it spinning, chanting, and gestures in order to create a short-lived portal back to sanctuary. Upon the completion of the ritual, a 5' diameter portal (similar to a Teleportation Circle) appears, leading to a preset destination. The spindle remains in motion for up to two rounds after the completion of the ritual, after which it falls and the portal closes.

Anyone passing through the portal can take the spindle with them, causing the portal to close immediately when they go through.

Sanctuary Spindles come in three varieties, each with different amounts of use:
Iron Spindles are inlaid with iron runes, and are good for one teleportation only.
Gold Spindles are inlaid with gold runes, and can be used once each day. They regain the ability to teleport at dawn.
Ogrine Spindles are the rarest, inlaid with ogrine, the stuff of raw magic. They may be used up to three times each day, regaining a single usage each dawn and dusk. Furthermore, an ogrine spindle remembers where it teleported from-if a different ritual is performed after the spindle returns home, it will create a portal back to the where it was last.

Mud Puppy
2021-09-10, 01:49 PM
Thanks folks! I never considered a one time use magic item.... and the Iron Spindle mentioned above fits the theme of the Cleric I am going to try to send with the party.

Reach Weapon
2021-09-10, 02:10 PM
As an alternative, let me point out that corpses are objects and Revivify is a 3rd level spell.

JNAProductions
2021-09-10, 02:35 PM
Thanks folks! I never considered a one time use magic item.... and the Iron Spindle mentioned above fits the theme of the Cleric I am going to try to send with the party.

It's not taken from anywhere-that's not an existing magic item. Just made it up off the seat of my pants.

Regardless, glad it works!

Havlock
2021-09-10, 03:43 PM
As an alternative, let me point out that corpses are objects and Revivify is a 3rd level spell.
Lol, you're evil

Brawnspear
2021-09-10, 05:38 PM
Lol, you're evil

As a further aside, gentle repose is 2nd level if you need to extend the available time period, or just want to play a bit of trick on your volunteer.