PDA

View Full Version : 3.P - Cursed Spell Metamagic and 101 "Opposite Effects"

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-09-10, 07:56 PM
Cursed items in 3.5 have the following possible effect:

Opposite Effect or Target
These cursed items malfunction, so that either they do the opposite of what the creator intended, or they target the user instead of someone else. The interesting point to keep in mind here is that these items aren’t always bad to have. Opposite-effect items include weapons that impose penalties on attack and damage rolls rather than bonuses. Just as a character shouldn’t necessarily immediately know what the enhancement bonus of a noncursed magic item is, she shouldn’t immediately know that a weapon is cursed. Once she knows, however, the item can be discarded unless some sort of compulsion is placed upon it that compels the wielder to keep and use it. In such cases, a remove curse spell is generally needed to get rid of the item.

And I had a thought regarding this. A metamagic rod that applies that to spells cast with it, so that your spells end up cursed with the "opposite" effect. Obviously, this could take any number of forms, the easiest being a damaging spell healing its targets, as with the healing lightning bolt wand given as an example of a cursed item in the DMG itself. Likewise, turning that magic missile spell into a self-targeted spell.

But what fun and clever ways would you use a metamagic feat (or cursed metamagic rod) that applied the above effect to your magic?

A charm person spell that applies the "gender reversal" ability on the target would make for a possible laugh at the unlucky and unscrupulous mage that casts it, for instance.

RandomPeasant
2021-09-10, 08:47 PM
All the really interesting applications are heavily dependent on what "reversed" means for any particular spell. For example, one possible interpretation of "reversed summon monster" is "chuck an enemy into another plane", while another is "summon a monster that attacks you". Obviously, one of those things is much more impressive than the other one.

Prime32
2021-09-11, 08:44 AM
Rip off Xiaolin Showdown?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POLuCvyy7NE

Psyren
2021-09-12, 09:09 PM
And I had a thought regarding this. A metamagic rod that applies that to spells cast with it, so that your spells end up cursed with the "opposite" effect. Obviously, this could take any number of forms, the easiest being a damaging spell healing its targets, as with the healing lightning bolt wand given as an example of a cursed item in the DMG itself. Likewise, turning that magic missile spell into a self-targeted spell.

The easiest way for this curse to manifest would be changing beneficial spells to target the enemy and harmful spells to target the user and/or their party. I suspect you're looking for something more exciting however.

A charm person spell that applies the "gender reversal" ability on the target would make for a possible laugh at the unlucky and unscrupulous mage that casts it, for instance.

Eh, this curse hasn't aged all that well. Putting aside questions of what it would even do to a nonbinary or genderfluid character, "HUE HUE UR TOON A GURL NAO" lacks the shock factor it likely had in Gygax's day.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-09-12, 09:28 PM
The easiest way for this curse to manifest would be changing beneficial spells to target the enemy and harmful spells to target the user and/or their party. I suspect you're looking for something more exciting however.Right-o.

Eh, this curse hasn't aged all that well. Putting aside questions of what it would even do to a nonbinary or genderfluid character, "HUE HUE UR TOON A GURL NAO" lacks the shock factor it likely had in Gygax's day.While true, I was thinking the stereotypical skeevy Wis+Cha < 10 creep who uses extremely questionable means to go after girls, and his attempts to do so backfire. More a comment on that kind of person than gender politics. "Okay, so you use charm person to 'convince' the barmaid who slapped you to go up to your room. Congratulations, she failed her save. Fortunately, she's also a he, now, and you threw a fit about that guy who hit on you last week in the tavern, so have fun with that."

I've met that kind of person in a few groups, so it doesn't not happen.

Psyren
2021-09-12, 11:18 PM
While true, I was thinking the stereotypical skeevy Wis+Cha < 10 creep who uses extremely questionable means to go after girls, and his attempts to do so backfire. More a comment on that kind of person than gender politics. "Okay, so you use charm person to 'convince' the barmaid who slapped you to go up to your room. Congratulations, she failed her save. Fortunately, she's also a he, now, and you threw a fit about that guy who hit on you last week in the tavern, so have fun with that."

I've met that kind of person in a few groups, so it doesn't not happen.

I still find it puerile at best. You know your table better than I do, and I voiced my objections, so I'll leave it at that.