PDA

View Full Version : Concentrating on two spells

Theodoxus
2021-09-11, 02:23 PM
I know a common homebrew / house rule regarding concentration is some variation of Concentration on Proficiency Bonus (PB, PB-1, PB/2). I typically allow for PB-1 in my games, but I also don't run campaigns past level 1o very often, so it doesn't generally get outrageous or bite me in the butt.

But, I was just thinking about a more conservative approach and was curious about feedback for it. You can concentrate on a second spell, provided you only cast cantrips while they're both running. Basically, the second concentration takes up the 'casting while concentrating' slot that is an unwritten rule (can't ready a spell if you're concentrating without losing the concentration; can't cast a second concentration spell normally without losing the first one, etc).

Do you think this would 1) be a reasonable stretch to the normal Concentration rules, and more importantly, would you play by it, or is stopping of casting leveled spells a deal breaker?

Twelvetrees
2021-09-11, 10:13 PM
It depends on who you're presenting this house rule to.

People who have only played with the standard Concentration rules will probably be delighted with this. Loosening the restrictions on character power tends to get the wheels churning for power gamers.

Others might not be so enthusiastic. If you're trying to use this with players who are used to your usual rules, you could get a little push-back. Limiting the power players are used could raise hackles.

Admittedly, I tend not to be a fan of breaking the usual Concentration rules, so I can't say I'd want to play with this. It tilts the balance too far in the direction of linear warriors, quadratic wizards for my taste. But I'm obviously not the target audience here, so that opinion is hardly helpful. :smalltongue:

JNAProductions
2021-09-12, 12:37 PM
I know a common homebrew / house rule regarding concentration is some variation of Concentration on Proficiency Bonus (PB, PB-1, PB/2). I typically allow for PB-1 in my games, but I also don't run campaigns past level 1o very often, so it doesn't generally get outrageous or bite me in the butt.

But, I was just thinking about a more conservative approach and was curious about feedback for it. You can concentrate on a second spell, provided you only cast cantrips while they're both running. Basically, the second concentration takes up the 'casting while concentrating' slot that is an unwritten rule (can't ready a spell if you're concentrating without losing the concentration; can't cast a second concentration spell normally without losing the first one, etc).

Do you think this would 1) be a reasonable stretch to the normal Concentration rules, and more importantly, would you play by it, or is stopping of casting leveled spells a deal breaker?

Considering that, especially for Clerics, a good tactic is "Cast Concentration spell (and maybe Spiritual Weapon) then Dodge," limiting someone to cantrips alone wouldn't be nearly enough of a limiter.