PDA

View Full Version : Ranged Sneak Attacks

Justin_Bacon
2007-11-16, 08:53 AM
So I've got a rogue in my campaign who wants to focus on using ranged attacks, but she's being heavily discouraged because there doesn't seem to be any particularly useful way to get her sneak attack damage on a ranged attack beyond the first round of combat (when her opponent is flat-footed).

There seem to be feats that extend the distance from which ranged sneak attacks can be made, but nothing that provides the same every-round-sneak dynamic of flanking an opponent.

Does anyone know of such an option currently in print?

Otherwise, I've been thinking of a couple of different feat options and wanted to get opinions on them:

Precise Sniper: If an opponent within the range of your Point Blank Shot is flanked by two of your allies, you can make a sneak attack on that target with a ranged weapon. (Prereqs: Precise Shot, Point Blank Shot)

Assassin's Critical: When scoring a critical hit with a ranged weapon, add your sneak attack damage (even if you would not normally be able to do so). (Prereq: Precise Shot)

The latter doesn't actually let you make ranged sneak attacks, but it does let you occasionally apply your sneak attack damage.

Justin Alexander
http://www.thealexandrian.net

Thinker
2007-11-16, 09:48 AM
Precise Sniper seems alright, especially with Prereq feats. It also makes sense from a fluff standpoint: the opponent is distracted by two other enemies and so leaves himself more vulnerable to the rogue. Assassin's Critical seems less than worthwhile. Ranged weapons have such a low rate of critting to begin with that it doesn't seem like the feat would come into play ver often.

The major problem with ranged sneak attack versus melee is that melee will get more attacks and thus more sneak attack, thanks to TWF.

Have you considered just offering the player skirmish instead or to retrain into scout? The two classes are mechanically very similar, except the precision damage is easier to qualify for with ranged attacks.

Justin_Bacon
2007-11-16, 10:21 AM
Assassin's Critical seems less than worthwhile. Ranged weapons have such a low rate of critting to begin with that it doesn't seem like the feat would come into play ver often.

True. Although the one advantage of Assassin's Critical is that it's not limited by the usual 30-foot maximum on ranged sneak attacks. I'd see it being picked up by someone who also picked up Improved Critical. I'm not sure if that's busted, appropriate, or too weak (as you say).

The major problem with ranged sneak attack versus melee is that melee will get more attacks and thus more sneak attack, thanks to TWF.

This is less of a problem in this particular case, because she's already got Rapid Reload.

Have you considered just offering the player skirmish instead or to retrain into scout? The two classes are mechanically very similar, except the precision damage is easier to qualify for with ranged attacks.

Good thoughts. She prefers the straight rogue class for other reasons, though, so I'm trying to work with what she wants. :)

Justin Alexander

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-16, 10:43 AM
Assassin's Critical: When scoring a critical hit with a ranged weapon, add your sneak attack damage (even if you would not normally be able to do so). (Prereq: Precise Shot)

Telling Blow, PHB2 page87 prereq: sneak attack or skirmish. It does exactly what you said but applies to skirmish as well.

AKA_Bait
2007-11-16, 11:05 AM
Precise Sniper: If an opponent within the range of your Point Blank Shot is flanked by two of your allies, you can make a sneak attack on that target with a ranged weapon. (Prereqs: Precise Shot, Point Blank Shot)

I have allowed a similar homebrew feat in one of my games that instead of requiring the target to be flanked by 2 of your allies worked when the square/hex that your line of sight to the target passes through before hitting the target would have been flanking them had you been standing there instead.

Mainly, the reason was because parties I tend to DM don't have a lot of smashy fighters who go in an flank. Usually there is a Rogue and a Fighter doing that with a divine caster and an arcanist hiding in the back. As such, there are no 2 people to flank.

Justin_Bacon
2007-11-16, 06:41 PM
Telling Blow, PHB2 page87 prereq: sneak attack or skirmish. It does exactly what you said but applies to skirmish as well.

Perfect. Thanks for the pointer.

I have allowed a similar homebrew feat in one of my games that instead of requiring the target to be flanked by 2 of your allies worked when the square/hex that your line of sight to the target passes through before hitting the target would have been flanking them had you been standing there instead.

And that does have the benefit of requiring the rogue to still do some tactical maneuvering.

Justin Alexander