PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Musket Master build advice

Seto
2021-09-12, 04:23 AM
Hey Playgrounders!

So I'm playing a Tengu Musket master Gunslinger, and I just got to Gunslinger 5 and its almighty benefits. Now I'm thinking of branching out and multiclassing, but I'm not sure what my best option is. I'm mainly thinking of Ranger, Fighter or staying straight Gunslinger. Honestly, I'm not looking for high-op (low-to-mid OP, flavor is also a big plus) so any one of those probably would be fine, but I'm hoping to pick your collective brain about the pros and cons of each option.

Some additional information:
- I'm playing in a thematic campaign with a heavy focus on fighting Lycanthropes. The PCs are part of the anti-lycanthrope Force, which comes with a few perks: we're immune to the Curse of lycanthropy and all our weapons count as silver. Building for this specific kind of enemy is a good bet, unless there's a twist in the middle and we end up allying with them.
- The other PCs are melee fighters with some casting. A Lizardfolk Druid (natural attack build + animal companion, going all out on multiple natural attacks and grappling), a Goblin DEX-fighter (Alchemist/Swashbuckler? Investigator? Not sure about his exact build. He makes full use of Parry and Riposte and Roll with it), and a Warpriest of Pharasma swinging a mace-like censer. We also have a Magus, but the player is rarely available.
- We have a limited budget. I haven't done the math, but it feels like we're severely under WBL, and a non-insignificant portion of my gold goes into crafting bullets and cartridges. I'd like to avoid excessive reliance on items, and focus on feats and class abilities.

Here's my character:
Kray Krakalikou, Tengu Gunslinger (musket master) 5
N Medium humanoid
Init +6 ; Senses : low-light vision, Perception +15
DEFENSE
AC 20, touch 15, flat-footed 15 (+4 armor, +1 dodge, +4 Dex, +1 shield). Shield bonus disappears when wielding the musket.
hp 46 (5d10+5+5)
Fort +6, Ref +9, Will +6 (+2 against curse, fear, emotion effects while wielding a firearm)
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Melee 1 beak, 2 claws +6 (1d3+1) / Pistol whip +6 (1d10+1, free trip attempt)
Ranged +1 musket +10 (1d12+5) (adjust as applicable for PBS, Deadly Aim, Rapid Shot)
Special Attacks: deadeye, steady aim, Pistol-whip
Special Abilities: Glide, Claw attack, grit (4 points), Quick clear, Gunslinger Initiative, Nimble +1
STATISTICS
Str 13, Dex 19, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 18, Cha 13
Base Atk +6; CMB +6; CMD 21
Feats Gunsmithing, Rapid Reload (two-handed firearms), Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Deadly Aim, Tengu wings (Fly 1/day)
Traits Seeker, Blackpowder fortune
Skills Acrobatics +12, Climb +5, Fly +9, Perception +15, Stealth +11, Craft alchemy +5, Knowledge engineering +7.
Languages Common, Tengu, Dwarven
Gear +1 musket, mithral chain shirt, masterwork buckler, cloak of resistance +1, miscellaneous potions, miscellaneous bullets and cartridges.

My thoughts so far:

- I'm not looking to optimize to-hit, given that I'm gonna hit most of the time against touch AC. Some more damage would be nice, but I'd like to explore defensive options and versatility as well. I'd rather not be a glass cannon or a one-trick pony. Out-of-combat suggestions would be welcome.

- Staying into Gunslinger actually gives me some of that. Nimble gives me some more AC. Musket training is somewhat evolutive, unlike the classic Gun training. I really like some deeds that allow me to do things with my gun other than straight damage: Targeting to disarm or hinder flight, Startling Shot to make an enemy flat-footed (would be better if we had a Rogue), Menacing shot for a fear debuff. Evasive at level 15 is also amazing, albeit late. However, I have no interest in most of the other deeds, and that's pretty much all the class offers.

- Given the focus on lycanthropes, the Lycanthrope Hunter Ranger archetype seems really tempting. It nets me favored enemy for animals and shapechangers, and a useful Combat style in Archery. I'm not sure if it should be more than a dip, though. I don't particulary want spells (for flavor reasons). I guess an animal companion could be fun.

- The main draw of Fighter is the free feats and versatility. Do you have an archetype you'd recommend?

- Things I'm planning to do anyway: I haven't taken the sacrosanct Precise Shot, given that I hit against touch AC, and it's been working okay so far, but maybe I'm gonna get around to it. Especially because that also leads to Improved Precise Shot. Ranger and Fighter would give me that easier than Gunslinger.
I also want Improved Critical (Musket), for that sweet chance of 4d12+40 or so on a Deadly Aim shot.
I resolved to use Fighting defensively more often (-4 to hit for +3 to AC is a good trade for a Gunslinger).
Beyond that... I'm not sure what to go for with my mid-levels feats. Maybe some defensive options (one-time emergency button or reroll) would be welcome?

What do you guys think?

Rynjin
2021-09-12, 04:53 AM
Shieldmarshal (Grand Marshal on the SRD) (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/grand-marshal/) is a really fun Gunslinger prestige class that gives you some Inquisitor abilities and also scales some of your Gunslinger goodies.

It's really easy to qualify for too.

Firebug
2021-09-12, 04:08 PM
Of the classes you mentioned, I'd probably go with fighter if you didn't want to deal ability score bleed at level 11 gunslinger. Weapon Training certainly gets you some damage, but its a few levels off. And more feats is never bad. Maybe Eldritch Guardian (https://aonprd.com/ArchetypeDisplay.aspx?FixedName=Fighter%20Eldritch %20Guardian) and some sort of improved familiar with hands and give your eldritch horror teddy bear a tiny pistol to go pop-pop.

Personally, I like a little Medium (https://aonprd.com/ClassDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Medium) on my martials. It adds some damage (especially with Spirit Focus Champion (https://aonprd.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Spirit%20Focus) and Spirit-bonded armor (https://aonprd.com/MagicArmorDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Spirit-bonded)), cantrips and can save you a few times per day on failed fort saves (or when you need to convert that 2 into a hit).

Higher levels than a single dip increases the damage and allows you to give your party some damage too. Haunt Channeler/etc may not be useful in your particular campaign, so maybe consider an archetype that trades it out. Level 6 with Champion gets you an extra attack in your full attack action that stacks with haste.

Alternatively, consider an arcane caster and Spell Cartridges (https://aonprd.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Spell%20Cartridges) to get around the lack of gold. Actually, I mentioned this in a different thread, consider Silksworn Occultist (https://aonprd.com/ArchetypeDisplay.aspx?FixedName=Occultist%20Silksw orn). Focus powers get you some gold replacement items like niche enchantments on demand with Transmutation and Abjuration. Most of the other schools either have good-for-martial powers or spells too.

Looking at your ability scores... Hunter or Sacred Huntsman (https://aonprd.com/ArchetypeDisplay.aspx?FixedName=Inquisitor%20Sacre d%20Huntsmaster) Inquisitor might be worth a look. But I am especially partial to Animal & Planar Focus (https://aonprd.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Planar%20Focus) for the strong mobility it grants: burrow, swim(&breath underwater), and feather fall/levitate. Skill bonuses to a bunch of skills, darkvision, scent or evasion as well. Generally you can forgo the animal companion (at least in PFS) to have the "your pet is dead" bonuses all the time.

SangoProduction
2021-09-12, 07:08 PM
(You can safely ignore this post if you don't care for Spheres.)

If you pick up Basic Magical Training, as a feat ​from Spheres of Power, you can take the Blood sphere.
Then you can take the Cruoromancy sphere-specific drawback to trade out the blood control for the talent Gory Armaments. This grants you free action reload for your muskets. But you are effectively losing out on your magical musket.
This would replace Rapid Reload.

You could then take the Barrage sphere with the Extra Combat Talent, to gain the effects of Point Blank Shot and a standard action Rapid Shot-equivalent.

You can then use the saved feat on another Extra Combat Talent to take the Scout sphere to gain some Stealth ranks and the ability to identify creatures as a swift action without needing to (necessarily) be a knowledge build, since everyone's going to have ranks in perception.

Do you have any particular out of combat capabilities you wanted?

For defensive, there's always the Guardian sphere's delayed damage pool. (Or Berserker sphere's temporary hp from berserking, but ranting and raving while waving a gun does have a different tone to it.)

For extra damage, you could pick up the Boxing sphere. And hey, in a sense, it's also defensive, because you're telling them "don't attack, or else I shoot." But they'll probably attack anyway, so you just get +2 to your rapid shot.
Or you can go for Duelist (which certainly has a gunslinger vibe to it), and get stacking bleed damage to your shots. And it can also be defensive if you pick up Debilitating Injuries, letting you add a penalty on their attack rolls equal to your bleed damage. Or Clouding Cut to give them miss chance.

Or, you could go with the Tech sphere, which... while probably much too complicated, and perhaps anachronistic, does offer a variety of options. As one would expect from technology.

-

And of course, you can take the Leadership feat and just have a Bard following you around, casting prestidigitation, and singing your praises from the tree tops.